• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Harrison Golden Goblins @ Morrilton Devil Dogs

Started by Go Postal, September 18, 2016, 10:44:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Postal

Harrison Golden Goblins 3-0-0 (0-0)
09-02  Mountain Home  W, 21 - 13   
09-09  at Siloam Springs  W, 39 - 19   
09-16  Little Rock Christian  W, 28 - 21
GOBS are averaging 29.333 Points For and 17.666 Points Against in 3 games.

Morrilton Devil Dogs  2-1-0 (0-0)
09-02  at Russellville  L, 11 - 14   
09-09  Little Rock Fair  W, 60 - 0   
09-16  Searcy  W, 41 - 13
Motown is averaging 37.333 Points For and 9.000 Points Against in 3 games.

Both have played two 6A and one 5A teams in non conference.  This first 5A West conference game will be held in Morrilton.

Comments and insights welcome...

PA Dad

Here's my take.

Morrilton probably has more talent.  Harrison has shown real grit in its first three games.

I think this will be a good game.  I give Morrilton a slight edge, but I won't be greatly surprised by a Goblin victory.

the voice

Morriltons defense has been very solid. They've only given up two touchdowns, the secondary has made play after play. Linebackers have done a very good job and we have some depth there as well. One poster complaint was no one had 15 tackles , well I think it's great , we are getting production from several and getting our offense back on the field.

I think this will be a good game. It's important to both teams. Last year it was a one sided game. I expect a battle this week.

sportsguy80

Overdahill

Goblins vs Devil Dogs, they should play this one on Halloween :D I'm taking MoTown at home

Youngsta71701

I'm going with the Devil Dogs in this one. Should be a great game though.

ROLLINtheDICE

This should be a really good game, Harrison has looked impressive in non-conference.  This will be a great game to start conference play

Go Postal

Quote from: Overdahill on September 19, 2016, 05:51:56 am
Goblins vs Devil Dogs, they should play this one on Halloween :D I'm taking MoTown at home
We use to do it on Halloween week until a couple of years ago.  There is a video on YouTube of the Morriton and Harrison bands joined together for a half time show of "Thriller".

Gob-Fan

Both teams have looked good so far. Harrison has relied on the defense getting turnovers. They will have to do that again to win. Someone chime in with how many turnovers the D has obtained over the past three games.

MDXPHD

Morrilton 35-7. I don't think this will be a close game.

woopork

Quote from: Gob-Fan on September 19, 2016, 09:17:46 am
Both teams have looked good so far. Harrison has relied on the defense getting turnovers. They will have to do that again to win. Someone chime in with how many turnovers the D has obtained over the past three games.

13 on defense and 1-2 on special teams

Gob-Fan

Thanks woopork.....Gobs will need to do it again on Friday. Go Gobs!

Deuceswild

I am pretty certain Harrison has 13 turnovers on def and 1 on ST..... SO FAR!!! These kids are playing hard. If the offense limits its mistakes, they will go deep this year. One thing that has kept Harrison from competing in recent years is tackling. There is not a single starter on that defense that will shy away from contact, in fact they thrive on it. Defense is definitely playing hungrier than I have ever seen. But Props to Morrilton, they too got great coaches and athletes. This was a game I have been looking forward to since last year. Going to be an exciting game!!!

Overdahill

Quote from: Go Postal on September 19, 2016, 08:48:28 am
We use to do it on Halloween week until a couple of years ago.  There is a video on YouTube of the Morriton and Harrison bands joined together for a half time show of "Thriller".

I bet that was a classic in person!

Yellowcake

Devil Dog 17

34-14 Dogs will score 2 TD on special teams. Harrison is much better, but this could be the year of the DOGS!

Steve Perry 2.11

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: woopork on September 19, 2016, 11:09:43 am
13 on defense and 1-2 on special teams

Good grief!  13 turnovers forced in 3 games??  How many were picks and how many were fumble recoveries? 

PercussionMan

September 22, 2016, 12:42:40 pm #18 Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 12:44:15 pm by PercussionMan
All of these so called "predictions" are moot points....Hooten's has chosen Morrilton by 14....that's all that matters!!

Joking, obviously....I always get nervous whenever Hooten's picks my team.  I will say this....I haven't seen, nor do I know much about Harrison other than casual conversation and what I've read on FF.  Since Morrilton is at home, I will go with the Devil Dogs by 10.  If it ends up being far more than that, I will be okay with that also. 

After week one at Russellville, I was a little nervous about how Morrilton's offense would look.  Our defense has looked pretty salty since week one....McNabb and staff at their best.  However, as most (especially Morrilton fans) have seen so far....our defense was good that first week....but so was Russellville's....they were very good.  Does anyone in the 5A West have near as good of a defense as a Russellville type defense that we saw in week one??  Anyone other than Alma??  Just curious. 

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: PercussionMan on September 22, 2016, 12:42:40 pm
Does anyone in the 5A West have near as good of a defense as a Russellville type defense that we saw in week one??  Anyone other than Alma??  Just curious. 

Maumelle has struggled to stop the run.  That said, our 2 quality opponents were NLR and Wynne, who are both really, really good rushing teams.  I have a feeling we'll find out how well we defend the pass this week.  Long story short, I don't know how good or bad our defense is right now.  We are young but athletic, and probably a little undersized relative to who we've played.

woopork

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 22, 2016, 12:29:32 pm
Good grief!  13 turnovers forced in 3 games??  How many were picks and how many were fumble recoveries?

8 Interceptions and 6 Fumble Recoveries.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: woopork on September 22, 2016, 12:57:21 pm
8 Interceptions and 6 Fumble Recoveries.

That's impressive.  If they keep that pace, they'll be real tough to beat.

MoTownDog

Quote from: the voice on September 18, 2016, 10:58:08 pm
Morriltons defense has been very solid. They've only given up two touchdowns, the secondary has made play after play. Linebackers have done a very good job and we have some depth there as well. One poster complaint was no one had 15 tackles , well I think it's great , we are getting production from several and getting our offense back on the field.

I think this will be a good game. It's important to both teams. Last year it was a one sided game. I expect a battle this week.

Coaches been high on this kid from day 1.  From the way they talk he should be D1 talent.  While he's a good player and great kid, he doesn't put up the numbers.  It will be a while before we get another one like last years Sr. LB.

With that being said, Morrilton will roll over Harrison.  OL figuring things out and running back will be to much for them.

PWDad

MoTownDog, how is the kid that transferred in from J'ville doing? He was in Vilonia for awhile. He seemed like a good kid just gets shuffled around a lot by parents.

the voice

Quote from: MoTownDog on September 22, 2016, 01:33:53 pm
Coaches been high on this kid from day 1.  From the way they talk he should be D1 talent.  While he's a good player and great kid, he doesn't put up the numbers.  It will be a while before we get another one like last years Sr. LB.

With that being said, Morrilton will roll over Harrison.  OL figuring things out and running back will be to much for them.

Well we played most of last season without one , the other was very good and sadly last if him or Granberry didn't make the tackle it didn't happen. But this year we've not had sustained drives on the defense, lots of three and outs. Secondary is playing lights out and the linebackers are making plays even if they are rotating a lot. One had two sacks and two picks in the Russellville game. We are finally getting some production across field.

the voice

The transfer has done well , he's a bruiser not a one step and gone back like we're used to in Motown. He's getting better each week. He's knocking the rust off.

PercussionMan

Quote from: the voice on September 22, 2016, 03:59:18 pm
The transfer has done well , he's a bruiser not a one step and gone back like we're used to in Motown. He's getting better each week. He's knocking the rust off.

Agreed....he has looked very good, at times.  I hope McNabb continues to mix him and Erby in well with each other.  They are both very tough backs to bring down and with two different running styles.  As long as both of those guys stay healthy, it could be a great year for RBs in Devil Dog uniforms.

Go Postal

I was looking on Morrilton's roster on Maxpreps and I see that there is another Criswell on the team.  How many has that been over the years?  Looks like the Devil Dogs cloning program is still working.  LOL!  ;)

Quote from: Overdahill on September 19, 2016, 05:51:56 am
Quote from: Go Postal on September 19, 2016, 08:48:28 am
Quote from: Overdahill on September 19, 2016, 12:08:02 pm
I bet that was a classic in person!

In celebration of Motown and Gobs now having All Hallows Eve game in September, here is the "2012 Spooktacular Halftime Show" in it's entirety.  400+ school band musicians...

This game will be on GobTV at the below link...

Good luck to both teams in this first conference game.

GO GOBS!!

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Go Postal on September 22, 2016, 10:24:41 pm
I was looking on Morrilton's roster on Maxpreps and I see that there is another Criswell on the team.  How many has that been over the years?  Looks like the Devil Dogs cloning program is still working.  LOL!  ;)

As long as they don't have any more Duncans the rest of us may have a chance.

Overdahill

was Duncan their QB? if so, is he playing anywhere now?

the voice

Criswells, Fosters, Duncans, and Trezvants, to name a few. there are actually 4 or 5 on the 9th grade undefeated team currently. They have played all larger schools except for Alma who they beat 34-0 I think. They are very talented, so Postal , you will see a lot more in the near future

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Overdahill on September 22, 2016, 10:44:30 pm
was Duncan their QB? if so, is he playing anywhere now?

One of them was an all-world running back, back in the day. I think he was also a 2-sport athlete at Tech.

Go Postal

Trezvant was the other name I was trying to remember. 

Go Postal

Quote from: the voice on September 22, 2016, 10:47:53 pm
Criswells, Fosters, Duncans, and Trezvants, to name a few. there are actually 4 or 5 on the 9th grade undefeated team currently. They have played all larger schools except for Alma who they beat 34-0 I think. They are very talented, so Postal , you will see a lot more in the near future
Harrison has a very good 9th grade also.  I think that they are undefeated also.  This could make the next few years for Morrilton and Harrison very interesting.

the voice

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on September 22, 2016, 10:58:41 pm
One of them was an all-world running back, back in the day. I think he was also a 2-sport athlete at Tech.
That's Ed Duncan JR , he's a coach at Wynne, he and dervick Delph were a great combo in the backfield. He played at uca I'm thinking.

Chief_Osceola™

Yeah Delph was at UCA. He was a good ballplayer too.

PercussionMan

Quote from: the voice on September 23, 2016, 05:55:18 am
That's Ed Duncan JR , he's a coach at Wynne, he and dervick Delph were a great combo in the backfield. He played at uca I'm thinking.

That had to be the most lethal one-two backfield punch that Morrilton has ever had.  Should have won state that year (1995, I'm thinking)....but we Morrilton fans know why we didn't. You just don't go for two in OT with first possession on your home field in the 2nd round of the playoffs....especially not when the other team has that guy named "Ron Johnson". 

PercussionMan

September 23, 2016, 09:11:02 am #37 Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 09:21:48 am by PercussionMan
In celebration of Motown and Gobs now having All Hallows Eve game in September, here is the "2012 Spooktacular Halftime Show" in it's entirety.  400+ school band musicians...

This game will be on GobTV at the below link...

Good luck to both teams in this first conference game.

GO GOBS!!

It was good....I remember being there.  If Morrilton could have come up early that day and the two bands rehearsed together for a few hours, that show could have really been something.

PercussionMan

From what I've heard, the current 9th grade QB is a Criswell (which they are usually RBs or WRs)....and apparently, this is the most athletic Criswell to come through the Morrilton program.  I've heard people talking about this kid since he was barely old enough to grip a football.  I guess we shall see once his time comes to shine in H.S.  I'm excited about the potential with that group.

wideopendownthesideline

This is a great game to start conf. Play... morrilton i think has a very slight edge but my be a lil more motivated as for this is also home coming.. dogs 45-35

KREWSAWHEWSKI

the voice

Devil dogs are rolling , offense was really clicking , looked really fast and powerful.
I think Harrison lost QB in 1st qtr. Offensively they struggled. They did score right before half on a busted play , QB scrambling and launched one. Defense looks pretty solid too.
Hope Harrison QB is ok.

Go Postal

Harrison  7
Morrilton  48

Final.  Morrilton looked in top form tonight, Harrison didn't.  Unofficially, Devil Dogs QB Kennedy was 16-18 for 190 yards.  Duncan had 116 receiving yds.  Motown had 278 yards rushing.  They had 473 yards total offense and no turnovers. :o 8)

Warning to Alma, after watching the Greenwood/Alma game last week, the Devil Dogs play a lot like the Bulldogs do.  FYI ;)

woopork

Talk about execution. Morrilton was prepared and then some and Harrison looked scared from the get go. Good news is though that Morrilton only went for it on 4th down twice up 34 and then 41.

PA Dad

Congrats to Morrilton.  I'm anxious to see you play.  Sounds like Morrilton is a real possibility to be at WMS in December.

the voice

Shhhh.
We aren't very good. We got lucky.  The east is beast remember, things just went our way tonight. 😎

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on September 23, 2016, 10:10:02 pm
Shhhh.
We aren't very good. We got lucky.  The east is beast remember, things just went our way tonight. 😎

I may have to come watch you play Alma to see how bad you are.  That should be a great game.

the voice

We don't have a chance.  Be lucky to make the playoffs.

PA Dad

Quote from: the voice on September 23, 2016, 10:17:10 pm
We don't have a chance.  Be lucky to make the playoffs.

I like the modest approach.  It's much better than the chest beaters whose team is going to whip your butt.

the voice

We played team football, in all three phases. When that happens things go your way. Harrison has a good team. Things didn't go their way tonight but they'll bounce back.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas