• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Little Rock McClellan at Sylvan Hills

Started by Kolsher, September 17, 2016, 03:39:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolsher

So what are your thoughts and picks for this 5A central showdown?

PA Dad

I know Sylvan Hills is undefeated but they struggled against Lakeside which does not look good this year.

McClellan lost big to NLR, but NLR looks good.

McClellan by 14.

Yellowcake

Jimmy1995

I agree with PA Dad, McClellan by 14 or more.

Austin.Sutton

It's hard for me to decide. It's at home for Sylvan hills and I think that may give them a slight edge, and idk what it is but Sylvan hills always seems to find its way in interesting matches. Anybody have info on how SH has been playing?

Jimmy1995

Same position as last year. Both came in undefeated and the game was played at Sylvan Hills. Their Defense won't be able to keep McClellan offense in check like last year.

Youngsta71701

BM22

LRM played the tougher non conference slate, with their 3 opponents having a combined 7-2 record. SH non conf opponents have a combined record of 2-7. Crimson  Lions win a close one, 52-44.

MDXPHD

Yellowcake

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 20, 2016, 12:47:33 pm
McClellan 35-14

Ok MDX, we are gonna bet a BQ lunch on this. I will take my good friend Jim Withrow's SH Bears. Loser pays up next time you are free for lunch. PM me when you can do it. I am thinking HB's. May even invite PA dad, if I ever figure out who he is!!!

We gotta bet MDX?

Yellowcake

By the way MDX, I took your advice as long as I could. At some point, I had to bait back. You know what I am talking about, I am sure. Sorry. :)

PA Dad

Quote from: Yellowcake on September 20, 2016, 11:22:44 pm
Ok MDX, we are gonna bet a BQ lunch on this. I will take my good friend Jim Withrow's SH Bears. Loser pays up next time you are free for lunch. PM me when you can do it. I am thinking HB's. May even invite PA dad, if I ever figure out who he is!!!

We gotta bet MDX?

I'm game if you're buying!

Maynard G Krebs

one of the better games this weekend.  SH will surely benefit from the home field and this is the factor that makes it a toss up for me.  If Pierre Strong isn't contained, all bets are off.

sportsguy80

I predicting a shootout. Any takes on the defenses?

Yellowcake

MDXPHD

Quote from: Yellowcake on September 20, 2016, 11:22:44 pm

We gotta bet MDX?

Are we betting on the spread or just the winner? I can barely afford my own lunch at this point so I have to be sure before I consider an instance where I could possibly end up buying 2 lunches in one day!

Quote from: Yellowcake on September 20, 2016, 11:23:58 pm
By the way MDX, I took your advice as long as I could. At some point, I had to bait back. You know what I am talking about, I am sure. Sorry. :)

I understand. Sometimes it's hard to do when you have to defend people you feel are being attacked.

Quote from: PA Dad on September 20, 2016, 11:29:17 pm
I'm game if you're buying!

Quote from: Yellowcake on September 21, 2016, 04:26:50 pm
Of course!

I will feel outnumbered at this get-together. I'm going to need a fan from another school to accompany us. I can't handle two PA supporters together at lunch!

Yellowcake

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 21, 2016, 05:20:34 pm
Are we betting on the spread or just the winner? I can barely afford my own lunch at this point so I have to be sure before I consider an instance where I could possibly end up buying 2 lunches in one day!

I understand. Sometimes it's hard to do when you have to defend people you feel are being attacked.

I will feel outnumbered at this get-together. I'm going to need a fan from another school to accompany us. I can't handle two PA supporters together at lunch!

Yes you can. I am buying. You will leave loving PA folks.

Chief_Osceola™

Hey I think I'd like to get in on this. What is the spread? I'll take the fighting Withrows and the points.

Yellowcake

I don't think there are point spreads here. We are going straight up. Chief and I like SH, Dad and MDX like McClellan. Either way, lunch is on me. We will figure it out if you are in the LR area chief. HB's BBQ. We can talk about some football and break bread together.

Chief_Osceola™

That's fine, I think the Bears win straight up anyway.

And I'm in LR everyday. My office is downtown.

Jimmy1995

RamFan06

Im going with McClellan in this one also.

Maynard G Krebs

SH looks like they are rolling.  Anybody there with any news?

dip2172

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 23, 2016, 09:23:54 pm
SH looks like they are rolling.  Anybody there with any news?
McClellan returned the opening kickoff for a TD and scored on a couple of big plays, but SH has kept them bottled up otherwise.  The SH QB, Washington, has had a great game.

PA Dad

Quote from: Yellowcake on September 22, 2016, 01:32:35 am
I don't think there are point spreads here. We are going straight up. Chief and I like SH, Dad and MDX like McClellan. Either way, lunch is on me. We will figure it out if you are in the LR area chief. HB's BBQ. We can talk about some football and break bread together.

You got this one right.  I missed it.  I'll buy lunch.

Good win for SH.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on September 23, 2016, 10:01:22 pm
You got this one right.  I missed it.  I'll buy lunch.

Good win for SH.

Man...I was way off. I can never tell how the bottom of that conference is going to shake out. It's PA then everyone else in a random order.

dip2172

September 23, 2016, 11:23:59 pm #27 Last Edit: September 23, 2016, 11:30:59 pm by dip2172
This was the first SH game I've been able to make it to this year, and I thought I'd share a quick recap and a few thoughts about the game since I know that there aren't many SH posters on the board. 
I thought there was a nice crowd tonight, and I'm really pleased to see all of the improvements to the facilities.  It really looks nice now. 
McClellan returned the opening kickoff for a TD and then stopped SH on their first possession, but the Bear defense kept the game from getting away early and got a stop.  The Bears scored the next two touchdowns (including a long TD run from QB Jordan Washington), and then McClellan got a long run for a touchdown.  SH answered with another TD to take a 21-12 lead with just a few minutes left in the first half.  The Bears recovered the ensuing kickoff, which was a short and high kick that McClellan neglected to try to catch.  They were able to march about 40 yards for another TD just before half and led 28-12. 
Sylvan Hills scored on their first possession of the first half, but McClellan managed the next TD on a long reception by Pierre Strong.  SH put the game away with about 6 minutes left when they converted on a 4th and goal from about the 3 yard line.

McClellan is huge up front.  I mean, they look like a D2 school from up in the stands.  They have some very athletic players, but I think SH was able to come close to matching them athletically.  The difference in the game was the play from the QB position.  McClellan struggled in the passing game, while Jordan Washington for SH had a really good game.  He made some nice throws and did a great job running the read option.  My extremely suspect estimate is that he had over 200 yards passing and 100 yards rushing with no turnovers.
The Sylvan Hills defense looked faster and more physical than the defenses they've had the last couple of years.  It's really hard to judge a team based on one game, but I think they're probably better overall than they have been in a while.  Washington appears to have improved his passing ability, and he is an elusive and tough runner.  If he can stay healthy, I think Sylvan Hills will have a chance to advance in the playoffs.
I didn't proofread this, so I'm sorry if there are grammatical errors!

PA Dad

Good report.  SH sounds like the real deal.  I'm really impressed with the win tonight.

AirWarren

The measuring stick in 5a is still PA. I still don't think there will be a team that will be able to touch them.

PA Dad

Quote from: AirWarren on September 23, 2016, 11:27:40 pm
The measuring stick in 5a is still PA. I still don't think there will be a team that will be able to touch them.

I disagree.  While I think PA is the favorite, I think Wynne or Morrilton may be just as good.

AirWarren

Our team played the morrilton pee wee teams last weekend. They just breed them big there. Geez.

sportsguy80

Quote from: PA Dad on September 23, 2016, 11:29:17 pm
I disagree.  While I think PA is the favorite, I think Wynne or Morrilton may be just as good.
I somewhat agree especially after watching what happened in the state game last year. It will be interesting once playoff time gets here.

Maynard G Krebs

Just read the demgaz account of the game.   SH really played well.  McClellan coach is upset about the officiating.  Was the officiating really that bad?

rpr

Will be interesting to see what the AAA does about the officiating comments by coaches in Demozette today and Fearless Friday last night.

Rocket23

He doesn't even know the rules.  There is NOT an uncatchable ball ruling in high school.

the voice

Well unless they've changed the rule , there was an Uncatchable pass , it nulls many pass interference calls.

Rocket23

September 25, 2016, 11:09:01 am #37 Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 11:14:03 am by Rocket23
High school fans need to check this link before talking rules...

http://secondhalf.mhsaa.com/All-News/articleType/ArticleView/articleId/3282/Be-the-Referee-Uncatchable-Pass

Today we're going to talk about one of the most misunderstood rules at the high school level, and that deals with the uncatchable pass.

All of us have sat in front of our televisions on Saturday or Sunday and seen the long pass get thrown, followed immediately by the throwing of the flag. As the officials discuss what happened, the referee invariably clicks on the microphone and announces that there is no foul for pass interference because the pass was uncatchable.

At the high school level, that is not a factor in deciding whether or not pass interference has occurred. The ball does not have to be catchable, and if the contact is ruled as pass interference, that foul stands, regardless of the quality of the pass.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on September 24, 2016, 06:48:46 am
Just read the demgaz account of the game.   SH really played well.  McClellan coach is upset about the officiating.  Was the officiating really that bad?

I can understand his argument if the game is close, but they lost by 3 touchdowns.  I don't think the officiating had anything to do with McClellan's inability to slow down Washington.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas