• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Referee

Started by Sportscaster, September 16, 2016, 10:35:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Sportscaster

Do referees watch the game they just called and try to see things they missed and improve their skills?

LeopardFan

I know everyone gripes about the refs in almost every sport.  I honestly believe all the cull refs, blind in both eyes, from every division are sent to the 5A.   I'm not saying they cost us the game tonight but they definitely helped.  Almost every football game I watch in 5A the refs make terrible calls against both teams!

Complete Biased PoV

Sportscaster,

Short answer is very few.  The good crews do and doubtful the bad crews do.  After back to back weeks in other states (Utah and Kentucky) plus previous years in other states, Arkansas officiating is way below average as a whole.  I talked with an official a couple of years ago from Florida who moved to Arkansas and in week 4  was with his 3rd crew, because he was "still trying to find a competent crew I can be proud to be a part of".

P.F.G.

Some conferences have an assignor who handles officials. Coaches vote on which crews are in the conference at the end of every year. I know several crews review the games but it honestly depends on if coaches load the game up to huddle. Just like with every high school sport, there is a huge shortage in officials. Some assignors are better than other ones.

Sportscaster

Well, I think Arkansas needs to step up their game on training officials. Is it AAA that handles the approval of referee's for high school sports or another organization?  The last 2 weeks I have seen games in which at least one official didn't have a clue about the rules. One time, a flag was thrown for a pass interference, the receiver never touched the ball and the ref tried to give the team a touchdown!  One game the referees kept throwing flags and then after the play would pick them up and say no penalty. I can see one time but 5 times in one game is a little ridiculous. You could actually hear the players talking them out of the flag.

P.F.G.

The training is on par with other states. They have a clinic in hot springs every year. Just like with college and NFL you will get better crew depending on your game. They have a serious problem with older officials retiring and trying to get younger officials to sign up. I would encourage people to think about it. Football is a odd sport to officiate. You can travel across the state and make $100. Looking at 4-6 hours of work a night. I've had the pleasure of seeing games in Oklahoma, texas, Missouri and Kansas. Arkansas isn't behind in the games I've seen and been apart of over the last couple years.

Sportscaster

September 17, 2016, 12:12:26 pm #6 Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 07:51:59 pm by Sportscaster
It may be time for an overhaul in the referee training in Arkansas. Every game should have adequate refs no matter what teams are playing. The players work hard to be out on that field. Each and every kid playing a sport deserves referees or umps that are well trained.

Rulesman

Since you know so much why don't you sign up and give it a shot?

Complete Biased PoV

I respectfully disagree PFG with the fact our officials are on par.  By no means am I saying we don't have good crews, we have some great crews, but as in school it takes a lot more good grades to make up for 1 bad grade when you're looking at the average.  I have a family member who is an official and will admit we have too many crews who mishandle game mechanics and rules applications.  Example from this year, I overheard an official say there is no such thing as "targeting" in high school... :o. Pretty sure it has been an emphasis since 2014.

We definitely have a shortage of officials in all sports, I think the AOA should target upperclassman college students.  It is good pocket money for a college student and it can keep them out of trouble on a Friday night or any other night if they can fit it into their schedule.

Sportscaster

Quote from: Rulesman on September 17, 2016, 12:15:03 pm
Since you know so much why don't you sign up and give it a shot?

How do you know I don't?  You may be one of the refs I'm talking about since you are taking such offense.

P.F.G.

Just watched a premiere crew in the SEC miss 3-4 calls in a row. It happens. The state of Arkansas is on par. I have officiated in three of those states and have been apart of different associations in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. Trust me Arkansas isn't behind. They go over the same rule book from the National federation and one of the better assignors that I have worked for is in Arkansas. Weekly reviews, quizes and talking points. I'm not saying this to be a jerk, just pointing out that we really need officials across the state. I would encourage anyone who is thinking about it to give it a shot.

topcop

Quote from: Sportscaster on September 17, 2016, 04:12:58 pm

How do you know I don't?  You may be one of the refs I'm talking about since you are taking such offense.

It's obvious you are not an official because officials are a band of brothers who dont throw each other "under the bus" every chance they get!  Anyone who thinks it is easy officiating a high school football game is clueless.  The crew I work with takes great pride in knowing the rules and working our tails off each and every Friday night.  Fit bit after last nights game showed 4.9 miles just for the game.  Thats not including the weekly training leading up to the game.  So walk or run a mile (or 4.9) in our shoes.  Just like anything in life the effort you put in is the effort you get out!

Missco

The game I attended last night the crew wasn't bad. The only gripe I had was on one major call. The back judge called a pass complete that was obviously dropped. From his view it probably looked complete. 2 of the other officials chose not to over rule him and both were standing right in front of the receiver and saw that it was incomplete. Officiating isn't easy.

Maynard G Krebs

And the playground repartee heats up😏

topcop

Quote from: Sportscaster on September 16, 2016, 10:35:22 pm
Do referees watch the game they just called and try to see things they missed and improve their skills?
The crew I am on does review film to see what we need to do better and work on weekly,  so yes we work very hard at our job!  Thanks

new2karting

Quote from: Sportscaster on September 16, 2016, 10:35:22 pm

Not sure if this is a question of genuine interest, or sarcastic nature, but some crews request film from schools (never to get it), and others never ask for it.  For the refs that ask for film (and schools give it to them), I would suppose they watch it.  In fact, there are other officials putting out videos incorrectly, misapplying opinion based on their interpretation of rulebook, philosophy, or guidance.  However, there are other products (videos, books and other training tools) available by veteran officials like Bill Lemonnier, George Demetriou designed to assist in season preparation. I would add that it never hurts for coaches to buy these as well for study sake.

There is a rulebook, case book, officials manual (each of which are about 80+ pages), as well as the Redding Study Guide (another 200 pages) and hours of video, and despite all that preparation...mistakes will be made at all levels.  That is the human factor in a game without instant replay, high scrutiny, and very few rewards/benefits for those willing to be subjected to the ridicule for a game they love, and to give student athletes an opportunity to have something more than glorified practice.

sevenof400

September 17, 2016, 06:55:24 pm #16 Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 08:18:53 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: Sportscaster on September 17, 2016, 12:12:26 pm
The young refs seemed to be cocky and way overconfident in their skills. It may be time for an overhaul in the referee training in Arkansas. Every game should have adequate refs no matter what teams are playing. The players work hard to be out on that field. Each and every kid playing a sport deserves referees or umps that are well trained.

Are you a referee?

It may be time for an overhaul in the referee training in Arkansas.

You're assuming referee training exists.....

AAA will tell you they hold instructional clinics in Hot Springs each year prior to the beginning of each sport. 
Said clinics mostly consist of someone reading the new rules and / points of emphasis - information a referee could already read online. 
One clinic.
In Hot Springs.
Does a lot of good for referees in Blytheville, Fayetteville, West Memphis, Lake Village (I could go on, but I think the point is evident...)
AAA thinks referees should all come to Hot Springs - no video conferencing, no recording of the clinic for later playback, it is pathetic how little AAA does to help the sports environment in this state.   
AAA does NOTHING with respect to referee training (mentoring) with a goal of individual referee improvement.

Every game should have adequate refs no matter what teams are playing.
The players work hard to be out on that field. Each and every kid playing a sport deserves referees or umps that are well trained.

To reuse a popular solution to the budget shortfall, where will the magic dragon appear and magically deposit these referees? 
I'm not sure if it's ignorance or arrogance in your statement, but either way why would you expect the current system to produce an adequate number of referees? 
Your anger should be directed at AAA. 
Click here for a list of the AAA staff.  Write an email, make a call - good luck getting a meaningful response.
AAA is structured in such a way that the only interests represented are the school administrations (usually the superintendent or athletic director).  They view referees as an expense - and nothing more.  Reforming the AAA is a first (and long overdue) step in improving the athletic environment in Arkansas.

Rulesman

Laughable. if you are, and I seriously doubt that, you can start by reading the Code of Ethics in the manual. You wouldn't be making these statements if you were an official. Sportscasters with 24 posts are nothing more than biased common-taters.

Yellowcake

All I know is they are all doing the best they can. They aren't perfect and will make mistakes. I love they give their time and effort every Friday night.

thank you referees.

blue4hire

I have recieved little to no training of any value from the AAA/AOA for both football and baseball. If an official wants training and to get better, he has to dig into his own pockets (sometimes pretty deep) and go find camps and clinics. This is not intended as a slap at the officials that lead the clinics at Hot Springs. Most of those guys are really good but are just doing what they are told. Hard to teach officiating with a power point presentation in a meeting room 3 hours a year.  The baseball guys even put together a voluntary, on field clinic the day before the AAA clinic last year.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas