• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Official Alma-Greenwood Thread

Started by Paw-Paw, September 13, 2016, 12:33:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Paw-Paw

September 13, 2016, 12:33:12 am Last Edit: September 13, 2016, 02:04:38 am by Paw-Paw

Inside Look:
Kickoff, 7:00 p.m. at Smith Robinson Stadium
Records, Greenwood 2-0; Alma 1-1
FearlessFriday.Com Rankings, Alma is ranked 2nd in Class 5A, Greenwood is ranked 1st in Class 6A
Last Meeting, Greenwood won 56-14 in 2015

These model programs meet for the last non-conference showdown before parting ways into their respective conferences. As an Alma alum, it seems that the storied rivals have had a stake in the conference titles for most of the past decade and playing final games of the season has added legendary status for the matchup between the Bulldogs of Greenwood and the Airedales of Alma. This season will be different for both schools with the reclassification of the Bulldogs to Class 6A and Alma to Class 5A.

Although there will be no trophy exchanged for the winner of this contest, victory comes with its own rewards.

For the Airedales, a victory will end a winless drought over the Bulldogs since 2004 as well as celebrating their first win at Greenwood since I believe either 1996 or 1998.

Alma will need to rely on their defense to force turnovers from the Bulldogs to keep Greenwood’s passing attack at bay. On Friday night, it will be a packed house. It is going to be great weather for high school football. Alma and Greenwood are considered model football programs around the state. For both schools, they will feature high-powered offenses.

Series Record: Greenwood 21, Alma 19

1976, Greenwood 13-7
1977, Alma 25-8
1978, Greenwood 6-0
1979, Alma 40-0
1980, Alma 7-0
1981, Alma 24-0
1982, Greenwood 15-7
1983, Alma 23-7
1984, Alma 6-0
1985, Alma 33-12
1986, Alma 21-10
1987, Alma 14-12
1988, Greenwood 21-20
1989, Greenwood 16-13
1990, Alma 17-0
1991, Greenwood 24-17
1992, Alma 32-6
1993, Alma 7-0
1994, Alma 21-0
1995, Alma 34-14
1996, Greenwood 24-21
1997, Greenwood 21-13
1998, Alma 29-28
1999, Alma 28-7
2000, Greenwood 24-21
2001, Alma 26-7
2002, Alma 27-20
2003, Greenwood 3-0
2004, Alma 17-14
2005, Greenwood 31-23
2006, Greenwood 28-21
2007, Greenwood 42-15
2008, Greenwood 40-36
2009, Greenwood 25-21
2010, Greenwood 52-21
2011, Greenwood 23-20
2012, Greenwood 35-6
2013, Greenwood 47-7
2014, Greenwood 35-7
2015, Greenwood 56-14

In honor of rivalry week:

#GoAiredales

DogsandHogs

MDXPHD

Coach Jones has had a little success against alma I think. Of course, I would like alma to win to end that streak and to also humble Greenwood, but it's certainly not going to happen. Greenwood 42-14

The Future

Just saw Hootens pick Greenwood by only 14.

Seriously Hootens.  Yall can do better than that.

MDXPHD

Quote from: The Future on September 13, 2016, 02:37:09 pm

You can never trust those guys!

jeffslilbro

yep. greenwood by 14. then 21, then 28, then 35!!!

Lumberjackfan1978

RD™

Alma has a chance.

Then kickoff happens.

The Future

September 14, 2016, 09:59:40 pm #8 Last Edit: September 14, 2016, 10:02:51 pm by The Future
I was reading the list of games between the two schools and then remembered something. It was sometime before the 2007 game. I don't remember if it was one of greenwooddogpound's articles or swtimes or what but it said that the Greenwood seniors that year were looking to be the first to win 3 straight over Alma since some year in the 1970s.
The list that Trackster provides doesn't have a Greenwood 3 win streak anywhere, but yes it does only go back to 76. So was the article I read wrong or is there more Greenwood/Alma meetings from way back in the day?

EDIT: I just now remembered yes there were previous meetings because didn't the two schools play twice a year? Kinda like how the junior high does?

AT

Hey wait a second, I haven't provided any list!

The Future

You are right haha.
My bad. I knew Paw Paw provided the list. But for some reason you came to mind when I typed.

Guess you're my favorite Airedale poster lol.

Paw-Paw

Quote from: The Future on September 14, 2016, 09:59:40 pm
I was reading the list of games between the two schools and then remembered something. It was sometime before the 2007 game. I don't remember if it was one of greenwooddogpound's articles or swtimes or what but it said that the Greenwood seniors that year were looking to be the first to win 3 straight over Alma since some year in the 1970s.
The list that Trackster provides doesn't have a Greenwood 3 win streak anywhere, but yes it does only go back to 76. So was the article I read wrong or is there more Greenwood/Alma meetings from way back in the day?

EDIT: I just now remembered yes there were previous meetings because didn't the two schools play twice a year? Kinda like how the junior high does?

I have been trying to catalog the history of the football program and their opponents for a database for sometime now. I have virtually every Alma-Van Buren matchup, but haven't had the time to fully research the Alma-Greenwood series. This is as far as I have gotten with the numbers from yearbooks, microfilm at the public library, etc.

AIREDALE25

I went All last Week saying TCU would completely destory Arkansas and guess what Arkansas won! Therefore I just have this gut feeling Alma will win by no more than 5 points this year. I'm not going to give a score prediction but I think Alma will win!

MDXPHD

Quote from: AIREDALE25 on September 15, 2016, 11:02:34 am
I went All last Week saying TCU would completely destory Arkansas and guess what Arkansas won! Therefore I just have this gut feeling Alma will win by no more than 5 points this year. I'm not going to give a score prediction but I think Alma will win!

Well, unfortunately, TCU and Arkansas matched up well. Alma and Greenwod do not.

Overdahill

Quote from: The Future on September 13, 2016, 02:37:09 pm

Come'on Man, you know a Hooten 14 is really more like a 30

Oldbadger

Don't tell bulldogger15 this string is over here, he will try to take it over too!lol

Pr8hd

September 15, 2016, 09:01:40 pm #16 Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:14:00 am by Pr8hd
I just don't see Alma hanging in this one. To this point CDL has not shown to be effective in his tactics against the Professor. I don't see that starting tomorrow @ GW. I could be wrong, after all the universe is a little screwy right now- people refusing to stand for National Anthem, a totally corrupt  crook running for POTUS, and worst of all the Cubs are releveant. Surely, that is one of the seven signs of the end of days. Anyway, I digress....now some smack talk.

The GW kids were at most 5-6 yrs old last time an Alma team won a HS varsity football game and the Alma kids don't know what a victory looks like over GW at this level. If the streak gets much longer, the kids will not even have been born to know that this was once a relevant rivalry.

Dales go down for the 12th time in a row.

If the Dales score more than 2 td's, that will be a moral victory of sorts. 

I can't wait to hear Jimmy the Freak whine and moan tomorrow again after another Dale loss.

The highlight of the night would be an appearance of TheDirtTrackIntimdator and StevePerry providing the Alma pep talk before the game.   

Paw-Paw

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 15, 2016, 09:01:40 pm
I just don't see Alma hanging in this one. To this point CDL has not shown to be effective in his tactics against the Professor. I don't see that starting tomorrow @ GW. I could be wrong, after all the universe is a little screwy right now- people refusing to stand for National Anthem, a totally corrupt  crook running for POTUS, and worst of all the Cubs are releveant. Surely, that is one of the seven signs of the end of days. Anyway, I digress....

The GW kids were at most 5-6 yrs old last time an Alma team won a HS varsity football game and the Alma kids don't know what a victory looks like over GW at this level. If the streak gets much longer, the kids will not even have been born to know that this was once a relevant rivalry.

Dales go down for the 12th time in a row.

If the Dales score more than 2 td's, that will be a moral victory of sorts. 

I can't wait to hear Jimmy the Freak whine and moan tomorrow again after another Dale loss.

The highlight of the night would be an appearance of TheDirtTrackIntimdator and StevePerry providing the Alma pep talk before the game.   

Yeah...Steve would be kicked out for trying to give out "Michael Jordan's Secret Stuff 2.0" and Dirt would be doing donuts in the parking lot telling the football players not to make right turns.

RD™

Is it really almost 20 years since ALMA won in GREENWOOD? Daaaaaaaamn.

P.F.G.

September 16, 2016, 07:14:41 am #19 Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 07:45:03 am by P.F.G.
GW by as much as they want. I think Alma has a good team for 5A this year but greenwood is on a whole new level. Hope everyone makes it out injury free from this game.

MDXPHD

Quote from: P.F.G. on September 16, 2016, 07:14:41 am
He by as much as they want. I think Alma has a good team for 5A this year but greenwood is on a whole new level. Hope everyone makes it out injury free from this game.

You refer to Alma as "He" now? I know they're good but that's a stretch!

Go Postal

I was wondering why Steve Perry wasn't on this thread for this game even with his double blind probation. But then I read that GW has put in new turf. I pretty sure Steve is over there "watering" it down right now. ;)

as for another football team's kids knowing what it's like to WIN at GW, I remember one back in '08 (ask Future) and those kids still are dancing in the streets when asked about it.  ;D

Good luck 'dales in your dog fight!

P.F.G.

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 16, 2016, 07:20:16 am
You refer to Alma as "He" now? I know they're good but that's a stretch!

That made me chuckle. +1 for my mistake

Pr8hd

September 16, 2016, 09:22:38 am #23 Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 09:51:36 am by Pr8hd
+1 to Paw Paw and PFG....2 good old school Alma posters. Good synopsis Paw Paw and great graphic at the end. Honestly, winning has become a little fascist. It's been a good run for Bulldog fans.

I think CDL is a good coach and can get Alma to where they need to be. Alma is one of those programs that needs to return to their glory days and reassert itself much like NS and SS. It's better for Arkansas football when they do, maybe just not over GW.

Most all GW has no idea of times before Peacock and CRJ when Alma owned GW. GW is lucky to have CRJ and enjoy the waves while they can. The undertow could suck us down to mediocrity again someday.

I really hope the game is competitive with of course GW coming out on top still.

Safe travels to any coming down to GW to see the Bulldogs win another.  ;)

PS. Someone needs to tell Steve the no smoking ban still in effect at Smith Robinson Stadium

Paw-Paw

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 16, 2016, 09:22:38 am
+1 to Paw Paw and PFG....2 good old school Alma posters. Good synopsis Paw Paw and great graphic at the end. Honestly, winning is a little fascist. I think CDL is a good coach and can get Alma to where they need to be. Alma is one of those programs that needs to return to their glory days and reassert itself much like NS and SS. It's better for Arkansas football when they do, maybe just not over GW.

Most all GW has no idea of times before Peacock and CRJ when Alma owned GW. GW is lucky to have CRJ and enjoy the waves while they can. The undertow could suck us down to mediocrity again someday.

I really hope the game is competitive with of course GW coming out on top still.

Safe travels to any coming down to GW to see the Bulldogs win another.  ;)

PS. Someone needs to tell Steve the no smoking ban still in effect at Smith Robinson Stadium

I can't do that to Steve. Poor dude bought some really nice Cuban Cigars if the 'Dales pull of the victory and said he was going to light it up on the 50-yard line. It'll be the first time since Alma beat Greenwood since these seniors were in first grade as well as beating them at Greenwood since 1998. IT WOULD BE CAUSE FOR MUCH CELEBRATION.

Pr8hd

September 16, 2016, 09:56:39 am #25 Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 11:11:58 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: Go Postal on September 16, 2016, 07:30:07 am
I was wondering why Steve Perry wasn't on this thread for this game even with his double blind probation. But then I read that GW has put in new turf. I pretty sure Steve is over there "watering" it down right now. ;)

as for another football team's kids knowing what it's like to WIN at GW, I remember one back in '08 (ask Future) and those kids still are dancing in the streets when asked about it.  ;D

Good luck 'dales in your dog fight!

I was at the '08 game. It was quite the shootout between the Gobs/Dogs. Yes, they (Gobs) walked away a winner - one of the handful of teams that has done so while CRJ has been at the helm @ GW. 

I do remember being mad at that game because I had to leave in the 3rd qtr (?) while it was still very much in doubt, to go pick my wife up at the airport on a trip back from Mexico. I really thought about not going to get her and have her catch a taxi, but figured that might be a bad decision. It was a barn burner. In the end, I was glad I picked up my wife given the result.  ;)

Pr8hd

September 16, 2016, 10:26:01 am #26 Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:29:24 am by Pr8hd
BTW Paw Paw according to Leland Barclay it's been since 1998 since Alma last won at GW and GW holds a 23-20 advantage in the head to head series. His account also pans back to 1975.

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20160916/football-alma-greenwood-set-for-annual-rivalry-game

He might be counting the times they played twice in a year- 1 non con game and 1 con game which I believe they have like the Jr High does as Future made mention

The Future

I'm gonna have to make Postal put a dollar in a jar every time he mentiones that 08 game. Start saving me up a trip to the Carribean or somewheres  ;D

P.F.G.

As an Alma fan I'm hoping we can pull it out. CDL is a great hire for us. He has brought back some excitement to the program. This GW team is loaded and should be in WM for the last game of the year. Alma has a great athlete in Noah and a playmaker at WR but GW has some studs. I'm glad I don't have to hear the name Morgan this year. Hope everyone has safe travels and we get a good game out of this. Would be funny to see us end a couple streaks at smith Robinson tonight.

Pr8hd

Quote from: P.F.G. on September 16, 2016, 10:55:49 am
As an Alma fan I'm hoping we can pull it out. CDL is a great hire for us. He has brought back some excitement to the program. This GW team is loaded and should be in WM for the last game of the year. Alma has a great athlete in Noah and a playmaker at WR but GW has some studs. I'm glad I don't have to hear the name Morgan this year. Hope everyone has safe travels and we get a good game out of this. Would be funny to see us end a couple streaks at smith Robinson tonight.

I was at the 9th grade game the year Noah and Alma ran all over Hales and this senior group of Bulldogs at that time. That was their first loss I think EVER (from Pittbulls to Jr High) as a group until that point. He was impressive that night. Although, that GW team came back and won the river valley title that year in Jr High.

Things just have a way of changing once they get to CRJ & staff though.

Yes, no more Morgans on the field ,but I believe their little sister is on the sideline as a cheerleader. So, technically we still have one on the field.  ;D

Pr8hd

Quote from: The Future on September 16, 2016, 10:36:57 am
I'm gonna have to make Postal put a dollar in a jar every time he mentiones that 08 game. Start saving me up a trip to the Carribean or somewheres  ;D

+1...I have seen it a few times, but I do the same thing myself on a lot of things. It comes with a little "seasoning".

bulldogmom

PR8ED is right we still have a Morgan who is a Bulldog! I am going to call T.T. and ask him to give a couple of shout outs to her over the radio!  ;D We have a lot of juniors and sophomores playing for us. I hope we come out and play well.

Go Postal

Quote from: The Future on September 16, 2016, 10:36:57 am
It could have been worse, I still have that game on DVD and I could have youtubed it.  But my point is 1 win against GW makes up for all the losses.  ;D

Pr8hd

Got a good chuckle today at a "Beat Greenwood" shirt some guy was wearing at Pizza Parlour in VB today. Reminded me of the shirt a few years back that said "We CAN beat Greenwood" (?) almost like they needed some self-assurance.

Due to the Decade of Dominance (+1 now), I was able to pick up a few of those at the Bargains Galore on 64 or A to Z . Then, sent them as a donation to some of the third world countries to wear along with their Buffalo Bills "Super Bowl Champs" shirts and hats mistakenly printed.

Paw-Paw

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 16, 2016, 10:26:01 am
BTW Paw Paw according to Leland Barclay it's been since 1998 since Alma last won at GW and GW holds a 23-20 advantage in the head to head series. His account also pans back to 1975.

http://www.swtimes.com/sports/20160916/football-alma-greenwood-set-for-annual-rivalry-game

He might be counting the times they played twice in a year- 1 non con game and 1 con game which I believe they have like the Jr High does as Future made mention

I knew that Alma and Greenwood played a pair of non-conference games back in the 1950s, just never knew who won them  so if we take the two games in the 1950s and the one from 1975; that would account for the record discrepancies.

The Future

Quote from: Pr8hd on September 16, 2016, 01:21:48 pm
Got a good chuckle today at a "Beat Greenwood" shirt some guy was wearing at Pizza Parlour in VB today. Reminded me of the shirt a few years back that said "We CAN beat Greenwood" (?) almost like they needed some self-assurance.

Due to the Decade of Dominance (+1 now), I was able to pick up a few of those at the Bargains Galore on 64 or A to Z . Then, sent them as a donation to some of the third world countries to wear along with their Buffalo Bills "Super Bowl Champs" shirts and hats mistakenly printed.

Eventually they should add to the shirt.
Make it say We CAN Beat Greenwood.....Eventually. lol

I did kinda like what Coach DL had to say about the streak in the article. Saying that its not a matter of if but when the streak ends and askin the kids if they wanna be known as the group that finally ends it. If it were me in that locker room, that would be some real good motivation.
Safe travels down the innerstate and 71 for the game and Good luck to both teams.

Steve Perry 2.11

From the article:

"It's a streak that weighs heavy in Alma".

You have no idea. Really, you don't. It's like a never ending nightmare. You Greenwood fans just imagine if this current scenario was reversed? The disdain you would have for this series and the town of Alma and all of the boastful Airedale fans. You would loathe us..

I really hope the mods let this stand, because I get every single thing deleted these days.

But I have true hatred for the town of Greenwood. And...like I've said before many times....some of my best friends whom i love to death, live there and are HUGE Bulldog supporters. When it comes to football though, they can KMA. All other times, we're golden.

Like most years, I don't feel good about this game but there's always one night that everything can line up in the correct position in the universe.

Since I've been locked in the hotbox the last few weeks and been let out on good behavior for today only, I guess I should say good luck to both teams tonight and I hope there aren't any serious injuries on either side, seeing as how conference starts next week.

No, I won't be making the trip to south Sebastian County tonight(sorry Greenwood moms), I have to go get back in the box right after this post. So there won't be any smoking in Smith-Robinson....

Oh yeah....

GREENWOOD SUX

The Future

Wouldn't be Greenwood Alma week without ya Steve :)

+1 on the post. Greenwood has definitely been spoiled with Jones and the success he has brought. And like anything else, it'll end someday.
Who knows. Alma could get the upset win and start a streak of ther own.
Ya never know

I might wanna try to attend the after party in Alma the night the Dales finally do beat Greenwood. Have to go in Airedale disguise though lol.
Steve will be providing special cigars I'll assume

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: P.F.G. on September 16, 2016, 07:14:41 am
GW by as much as they want. I think Alma has a good team for 5A this year but greenwood is on a whole new level. Hope everyone makes it out injury free from this game.
Greenwood continues to prove they are on par with anybody in the state.  (Although I would love to see them play Fayetteville or Bentonville)

But I'll say this.  The Grizzlies would love to have the Alma QB, the receiver Brayden Johnson, and a couple of those O lineman.  Those guys can play with anybody in the 7A.

P.F.G.

PA and greenwood would be a great game to see.

AT

Will be interesting to see if this weather affects the start time or the play of the game itself.

Looks like it's going to roll in right about start time.

AT

Depending on how accurate the radar is, it looks to me that we will have some stuff right as game time is happening and a probably for some of the first half. I don't know if it will be lightning and cause delays, but the 2nd half should be fine.

Football should be played tonight even if both parties have to wait around just a bit. Maybe not at all, I'm not down South, I just know it's storming in the northern River Valley.

Go Postal

I'm glad that Steve got away from GW security after he was "fixing" their new turf for tonight's game.

Man, it's pouring down up here in Harrison.

AT

I'm hearing a temporary 7:20 kickoff.

AT

Start the delay counter again. Lightning.

bulldogger15

Quote from: Oldbadger on September 15, 2016, 08:21:57 pm
Don't tell bulldogger15 this string is over here, he will try to take it over too!lol
I see it all Oldbadger. 8 man, softball, basketball, etc. I try not to lower my standards to post on 5A boards. Isn't the 5A board full of Pulaski Academy zealots anyway?

Alma needs to pray hard that the rain and lightening continues so they can beat the losing streak with DIVINE INTERVENTION. Looking like that is the only way the Airedales don't get smashed tonight.

Anyone who says that this is the OFFICIAL Alma vs Greenwood thread down here on the 5A board is an idiot. Like I said before, Alma will really dominate once they're in 4A in a few years.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

Go Postal

Quote from: bulldogger15 on September 16, 2016, 08:26:48 pm
I see it all Oldbadger. 8 man, softball, basketball, etc. I try not to lower my standards to post on 5A boards. Isn't the 5A board full of Pulaski Academy zealots anyway?

Alma needs to pray hard that the rain and lightening continues so they can beat the losing streak with DIVINE INTERVENTION. Looking like that is the only way the Airedales don't get smashed tonight.

Anyone who says that this is the OFFICIAL Alma vs Greenwood thread down here on the 5A board is an idiot. Like I said before, Alma will really dominate once they're in 4A in a few years.

GO BULLDOGS!!!

But the 5A boards are so much fun!

TTofGreenwood

Coach Venny Slocombe

I thought Alma had some impressive kids...but it also seemed to me that Alma played to "not get blown out" rather than try to play to win...

No sense of urgency when they cut the score to 28 - 12...still don't understand why he went for two when he could kick a extra point and keep it at 15...Alma ran the play clock down to zero on almost every play...

High Voltage

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas