• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PA parents sues AAA

Started by LC sports, September 10, 2016, 12:10:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

AirWarren

September 11, 2016, 02:30:47 pm #50 Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 02:33:12 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: B.G. on September 11, 2016, 01:44:29 pm
He DID play.

AAA ruling was at least temporarily suspended by the judge.  Meaning he was allowed to play.

PA could have held him out on their own but didn't.  If they had, this would have been over.  They choose not to do so.

Thus he's yet to sit the required game.

Typical. And people wonder why these athletes that beat women, etc get a clean slate. The idiot player for LSU that creamed the player from Wisconsin last week got a one game suspension against Jacksonville state. Heck at least he got something.

Kudos PA. Could have done something to show there is a slight bit of moral compass but you yet again spit in the face of people not fenced off from your world on that campus. 

AirWarren

Quote from: froglips on September 11, 2016, 02:14:32 pm
It seems pretty simple to me.  If PA wants to be a member of the AAA, they should have to abide by the AAA rules.  If they don't, then it's time for them to move on.  They have the money to travel all over the nation and play games so they don't need the AAA anyway.  Their display of horrible sportsmanship at last year's state championship game and now refusing to do what's right and abide by the rules makes it easy to understand why they are so disliked.

Arkansas activities association means nothing to PA. Rules are applied to how big mommy and daddy's pocket book is or "perceived" pocket book is.

zebradynasty

The lawsuit is hard to swallow. I mean If all they wanted to do was make sure the parents not lose money for the Utah game then fine. Since the decision has been made that he can play pending the appeal...I'm OK with that. I don't understand the need for the lawsuit and the ridiculous claims of personal loss! Well, since Shiloh has fallen to obscurity we needed someone else the hate....PA on deck!

walrus

I just don't get the Mom's math.  1 game in a season is 10 percent of the season.  In a three year career, it is one game in 30, not counting "bonus" playoff games.  If that one game in 30 - 45 games is enough to cause him to lose any scholarship offers then how borderline is the possibility anyway?

AirWarren

September 11, 2016, 08:26:59 pm #54 Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 08:30:20 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: walrus on September 11, 2016, 07:39:36 pm
I just don't get the Mom's math.  1 game in a season is 10 percent of the season.  In a three year career, it is one game in 30, not counting "bonus" playoff games.  If that one game in 30 - 45 games is enough to cause him to lose any scholarship offers then how borderline is the possibility anyway?

This is way beyond the principal of that. This is solely because this is the mentality of this school and their fanbase. They view themselves as "untouchable" and rules do not apply to them like the rest of the state.

Like I said. It it well understood from cutter morning star to bentonville that an ejection is instant disqualification. Don't care if you were responsible, not responsible. Normal people were taught guilty by association. If it quacks like a duck then it's probably a duck. Guess what, the kid took a swing and got the boot. Now deal with it. Just so happen this kid isn't some cutter morning star kid, but a kid of an PA tuition machine aka momma and daddy. A mommy and daddy that isn't going to let their son be served with such injustice. Nevermind a good lesson in accountability, let's blame someone else!

Now. I do not like pa. Don't like the majority of PA students, parents, or players. It's a known fact. They have shown many times over the years their true colors. I wouldn't pay a penny to send my kid to that institution. I see the character every year of this institution and it just so happens it can be justified by who their parents are and how much money, coughDEBTcough, or how much money gramma or papaw has to put lil man or princess in this school.

If the AAA had any kind of sack, they would remove pa from their jurisdiction and send them packing to other states for competition.

walrus

Then PA could sue for the deprivation of "The pursuit of happiness".   

Wonderdog

Rulesman

Quote from: Yellowcake on September 11, 2016, 01:08:37 am
I was standing on the sidelines, watching. If the rule requires a punch, he never threw a punch. He pushed away from the other player as the player ripped off his helmet.

If the rule requires a punch...

Try opening up a rule book, counselor.

Rule 2-11: "Fighting is any attempt by a player or non-player to strike or engage a player or non-player in a combative manner unrelated to football. Such acts include, but are not limited to, attempts to strike an opponent(s) with the arm(s), hand(s), leg(s) or foot (feet), whether or not there is contact."

Rule 9-4-1: "No player or non-player shall fight."
PENALTY - 15 yards and disqualification.

How much clearer does it need to be?

Brian G

Yellowcake

Rulesman, thanks for printing the rule. I guess we need to both watch the film and determine if he violated it. I don't think he did, but it's a judgment call under that rule. Thanks for the clarification.

Airwarren, you, sir, don't know me from Adam. Nor do you know 99.9% of the players, parents or fans. Yet you broadly generalize the whole based upon the actions of a few.

I hope this kind of attitude makes you feel proud. It's the stuff of which role models are made. Not the kind of role model I want my kids to emulate, but I guess you are having an impact on some child. I will chalk it up to you missing a teaching opportunity. But mostly, it's just sad. Very, very sad.

purpleswag

Quote from: Yellowcake on September 11, 2016, 11:25:29 pm
Rulesman, thanks for printing the rule. I guess we need to both watch the film and determine if he violated it. I don't think he did, but it's a judgment call under that rule. Thanks for the clarification.

Airwarren, you, sir, don't know me from Adam. Nor do you know 99.9% of the players, parents or fans. Yet you broadly generalize the whole based upon the actions of a few.

I hope this kind of attitude makes you feel proud. It's the stuff of which role models are made. Not the kind of role model I want my kids to emulate, but I guess you are having an impact on some child. I will chalk it up to you missing a teaching opportunity. But mostly, it's just sad. Very, very sad.

I'm sure he will take that as a compliment coming from a guy who defends getting around the system. CKK missed a teachable moment as well

AirWarren

Lecturing on teachable moments. That's rich. Did you lead the lecture about humility/class after pa kept scoring when the game was well in hand during the title game last year? Or do you need to rewatch film for a "better judgement call"?

Rulesman

September 12, 2016, 07:15:27 am #62 Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 07:17:28 am by Rulesman
Quote from: Yellowcake on September 11, 2016, 11:25:29 pm

You are right. It's a judgement call. And the official on the play judged it to be a foul. So do I, and I have seen the film. So now you are backing off your earlier statement that the official clearly made an error? It's a judgement call and you can't have it both ways. If I were grading the film, this play gets a CC - correct call.

scrapman

Quote from: purpleswag on September 12, 2016, 05:01:22 am
I'm sure he will take that as a compliment coming from a guy who defends getting around the system. CKK missed a teachable moment as well
I'm sure KK knew exactally what he was doing. Everything he does is based on analytics, statistics and by researching it. Just ask him.

KREWSAWHEWSKI

I wonder if the judge can run up & down every field in the state on Friday nights weighing out every judgement call?  I wonder if PA players will change the way they handle altercations on the field after this?

The rules are there to preserve order and stop fights BEFORE they start.  Contact is not required because once contact happens, it could turn into a full-blown street fight with 5 officials trying to contain 100+ kids. 

Its absurd IMO that a parent, coach & school would pass up the opportunity to teach this young man some restraint.  But they would rather teach this young man that you "win at all costs".

****DISCLAIMER****  I haven't seen the film, but if officials felt that he threw a punch and PA supporters say he pushed the guy (in the facemask) with an open hand....aka: punch/slap, then that's good enough for me.  Officials make mistakes but the kid was obviously involved in some altercation and retaliated. 

REMEMBER THE TITANS
"You look like a bunch of fifth grade sissies after a cat fight! You got anger, that's good. You're gonna need it. You got aggression. That's even better you're gonna need that, too. But any little two year old child can throw a fit! Football is about controlling that anger, harnessing that aggression into a team effort to achieve perfection!"
— Coach Boone

AirWarren

Quote from: KREWSAWHEWSKI on September 12, 2016, 08:32:16 am
I wonder if the judge can run up & down every field in the state on Friday nights weighing out every judgement call?  I wonder if PA players will change the way they handle altercations on the field after this?

The rules are there to preserve order and stop fights BEFORE they start.  Contact is not required because once contact happens, it could turn into a full-blown street fight with 5 officials trying to contain 100+ kids. 

Its absurd IMO that a parent, coach & school would pass up the opportunity to teach this young man some restraint.  But they would rather teach this young man that you "win at all costs".

****DISCLAIMER****  I haven't seen the film, but if officials felt that he threw a punch and PA supporters say he pushed the guy (in the facemask) with an open hand....aka: punch/slap, then that's good enough for me.  Officials make mistakes but the kid was obviously involved in some altercation and retaliated. 

REMEMBER THE TITANS
"You look like a bunch of fifth grade sissies after a cat fight! You got anger, that's good. You're gonna need it. You got aggression. That's even better you're gonna need that, too. But any little two year old child can throw a fit! Football is about controlling that anger, harnessing that aggression into a team effort to achieve perfection!"
— Coach Boone

Way too much sense to be posting on this thread. You certainly aren't a lawyer or a judge I can tell you that.

bigchief72455

REMEMBER THE TITANS
— Coach Boone
100+ very athletic and strong kids full of testosterone and adrenaline. Not to mention emotional.

Old Scrapper

REMEMBER THE TITANS
— Coach Boone
+1

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Quote from: AirWarren on September 12, 2016, 08:36:50 am
Way too much sense to be posting on this thread. You certainly aren't a lawyer or a judge I can tell you that.

:'( :'(
First time anyone's ever accused me of having any sense......much less TOO MUCH sense

Thanks AW!!!

SUGARTOWN

http://www.arpreps.com/taking-aaa-to-court-a-bad-sign/

Great article. Here are a couple of excerpts:

"The lawyer contended that the young player needs a college scholarship because Tara Amuimuia is a divorced mother with two kids, and the player can't afford to go to college if he doesn't earn a scholarship. Yet, Amuimuia goes to Pulaski Academy, a private school where tuition is $10,000 a year although financial aid is available based on need.

Yet, if the family has such a financial burden, you have to wonder where she got the money to take the AAA to court and pay for the attorney's fees, don't you?"

"This situation could carry on for the next four weeks because of Piazza's ruling, and the AAA plans on filing an appeal. Meanwhile, Pulaski Academy is allowed to keep playing Amuimuia, knowing fully well that the AAA could come back after all this has settled and cause the Bruins to forfeit games for their use of an ineligible player until this suspension is carried out."

Top Shelf

AirWarren

September 12, 2016, 09:15:08 am #71 Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 09:26:57 am by AirWarren
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 12, 2016, 09:10:44 am

"The lawyer contended that the young player needs a college scholarship because Tara Amuimuia is a divorced mother with two kids, and the player can't afford to go to college if he doesn't earn a scholarship. Yet, Amuimuia goes to Pulaski Academy, a private school where tuition is $10,000 a year although financial aid is available based on need.

Yet, if the family has such a financial burden, you have to wonder where she got the money to take the AAA to court and pay for the attorney's fees, don't you?"

"This situation could carry on for the next four weeks because of Piazza's ruling, and the AAA plans on filing an appeal. Meanwhile, Pulaski Academy is allowed to keep playing Amuimuia, knowing fully well that the AAA could come back after all this has settled and cause the Bruins to forfeit games for their use of an ineligible player until this suspension is carried out."
Ha. Poor divorced mother of kids can't risk her little tyke getting a college scholarship but she can afford to send her kid to PA. MAKES SENSE.

And let me tell you. There is more to the "divorced mother" poor pitiful single mom garbage. I'm sure she collects a fine penny of child support from daddy. That's just convenient for her "argument".

If this person is really that financially burdened, PA tuition wouldn't be top on the list.

bigchief72455

I just do not think this is going to pan out well for PA. Should have just benched the kid and moved on. He is a junior. Nothing is riding completely on one game. If its is he may want to rethink football as his way into college and work on academics.

KREWSAWHEWSKI

Quote from: bigchief72455 on September 12, 2016, 09:36:04 am
I just do not think this is going to pan out well for PA. Should have just benched the kid and moved on. He is a junior. Nothing is riding completely on one game. If its is he may want to rethink football as his way into college and work on academics.

I don't think "benching" him would suffice as serving the suspension.  It's been my impression that a suspended player can't even be in the stadium for the game, much less on sideline in uniform.  Or maybe that is the way I have seen it carried out and has nothing to do with the rule itself.

bigchief72455

Quote from: KREWSAWHEWSKI on September 12, 2016, 09:44:33 am
I don't think "benching" him would suffice as serving the suspension.  It's been my impression that a suspended player can't even be in the stadium for the game, much less on sideline in uniform.  Or maybe that is the way I have seen it carried out and has nothing to do with the rule itself.
Even then I don't think it would have effected the outcome of the game.

AirWarren

In a normal world, a child would have complied and served his suspension. What kids and parents forget these days, is that extracurricular activity is a PRIVILEGE. Tough luck you don't get to go to Utah. Tough luck your parents, oops I mean divorced mother, already prepaid for the trip. Your actions cause a reaction and if you choose to react the way you did. Guess what, you don't go to Utah and you don't play the game.

But that only applies to a public school kid.

SUGARTOWN

September 12, 2016, 09:55:31 am #76 Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 10:00:59 am by SUGARTOWN
"Yet in all this, Pulaski Academy coach Kevin Kelley was quoted in saying "we're going to do exactly what the AAA says." Really? Then why did you play him when the AAA handbook calls for the automatic one-game suspension — something your school signs upon each and every year?"

Kelley COULD'VE told the parent to sit down and shut up, your son is suspended. But he chose not too, not surprising.

AirWarren

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 12, 2016, 09:55:31 am
"Yet in all this, Pulaski Academy coach Kevin Kelley was quoted in saying "we're going to do exactly what the AAA says." Really? Then why did you play him when the AAA handbook calls for the automatic one-game suspension — something your school signs upon each and every year?"

Kelley COULD'VE told the parent to sit down and shut up, your son is suspended. But he chose not too, not surprising.

Yet another opportunity for PA to show the state it has the ability to be a reasonable institution. Then pee it down the drain.

minerjack

Wins aren't more important than teaching young men lessons.  PA shouldn't have even had to use their high roller resources to once again bail themselves out of a ridiculous situation.  Tisk, tisk, AAA.

PA and a certain Presidential Democrat nominee must use the same people.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: zebradynasty on September 11, 2016, 03:09:19 pm
The lawsuit is hard to swallow. I mean If all they wanted to do was make sure the parents not lose money for the Utah game then fine. Since the decision has been made that he can play pending the appeal...I'm OK with that. I don't understand the need for the lawsuit and the ridiculous claims of personal loss! Well, since Shiloh has fallen to obscurity we needed someone else the hate....PA on deck!

Hey we beat Elkins and Little Rock Christian... If we would have missed that field goal I was fully prepared to sue Air Warren....  Not sure why but it would have been his fault... 

bigchief72455

I wonder how many players have seen this and thought well if we play PA and they are beating us into submission and not letting up, I will just start a fight with one of their guys to get even. Kinda makes it even in their minds for the driving up of the score.

AirWarren

Quote from: $aintMaximu$ on September 12, 2016, 10:14:29 am
Hey we beat Elkins and Little Rock Christian... If we would have missed that field goal I was fully prepared to sue Air Warren....  Not sure why but it would have been his fault... 

Sue me private schools. I'm just a poor product of a public school. Won't get anything.

$aintMaximu$

Quote from: AirWarren on September 12, 2016, 10:41:09 am
Sue me private schools. I'm just a poor product of a public school. Won't get anything.

Hey, I'm a product of little ole Greenland, AR....  Everybody there thought I was a piece of trash... Glad I didn't listen to them....

mijally

If you can appeal an ejection called by a ref then the AAA should be prepared to handle them.  What's the procedure?  It should be spelled out. You have Saturday thru Thursday of the following week to hear the argument, decide and move on. What's taking so long?  As far as a parent standing up for her underage son when she feels he is not getting fair punishment from a 3rd party; I'm all for it. That's her moral obligation as a parent.  I'd do the same if I thought my underage son was getting a raw deal. When he's an adult, it's on him to take a stand.  Based on the judges comment it sounds like there is an appeals process. What are you doing AAA?

purpleswag

Quote from: minerjack2212 on September 12, 2016, 10:09:35 am
Wins aren't more important than teaching young men lessons.  PA shouldn't have even had to use their high roller resources to once again bail themselves out of a ridiculous situation.  Tisk, tisk, AAA.

PA and a certain Presidential Democrat nominee must use the same people.

I'm not disagreeing with this, but for a coach to keep his job it is about winning. Now Kelley probably wouldn't lose his job, but you see my point I'm sure.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: scrapman on September 10, 2016, 07:27:57 pm
All I know is that last year Fountain lake and Nashville were both told they could not appeal. Maybe there is a seperate rule for PA.

The fact there is not an appeal process is what the judge took issue with.

nuttinbuthogs

Oh you know, some people are never at fault.

Big Fan

Quote from: Complete Biased PoV on September 12, 2016, 11:55:45 am
The fact there is not an appeal process is what the judge took issue with.
In 2011 Monticello had a senior (a great young man) who retaliated and was ejected.  This was the last game of the year and he missed next weeks playoff game...not even allowed in the stadium.  His mom and others were told by the AAA there was no appealing the decision!   

zebradynasty

September 12, 2016, 12:04:04 pm #88 Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 01:48:56 pm by zebradynasty
Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 12, 2016, 09:10:44 am

I thought the same thing! LOL!

I don't see why the lawsuit. They are playing with house money! The kid got to play in a very significant game. Their money was not wasted on pre-paid travel and apparently PA dang near gets to choose which game he'll serve the suspension OR there may be no suspension at all! So WHY sue? Nobody except PA is going buy this kid as a martyr, that AAA is oppressing him and treating him different. Well they are but...They are getting everything they wanted let the kid sit a game and move on but NOOOOO you want to put the law into it! ::)

A posterchild for what is wrong with our society!

minerjack

Quote from: purpleswag on September 12, 2016, 11:46:18 am
I'm not disagreeing with this, but for a coach to keep his job it is about winning. Now Kelley probably wouldn't lose his job, but you see my point I'm sure.
Pretty sure that's not what I wrote.  It got changed because of the facetiousness. lol

Yes, I see your point.

PA shouldn't be able to hide behind money.

nuttinbuthogs

not their fault when the get tossed, not their fault when they make bad grades, not their fault when they get in trouble in school or in life.

AirWarren

Quote from: Big Fan on September 12, 2016, 12:03:34 pm
In 2011 Monticello had a senior (a great young man) who retaliated and was ejected.  This was the last game of the year and he missed next weeks playoff game...not even allowed in the stadium.  His mom and others were told by the AAA there was no appealing the decision!   

Not my son!!! Cried the divorced mom of 2 who claims financial distress but has the money to pay tuition to pa and fly to Utah for a high school football game who just so happens can pay legal fees!

bigchief72455

nuttinbuthogs

Oh, the elitist have rules.  They are just way different with different consequences.

Grond

OK, I am coming at you from the standpoint of someone that has a son playing college football, and someone that has seen some AAA decisions that were profoundly just and mind-blowingly cruel. But that does NOT make me an expert.

COULD THE FIGHT SUSPENSION AFFECT THE PLAYER'S ABILITY TO GET A SCHOLARSHIP --- YES!
It all depends on the player's talent level. Is he D1, with the possibility of going pro? Then the 'fight' is likely not a problem.

However, is the player a low D1 talent? Given the recent problems at colleges like Baylor, many universities are much more "mindful" of incidents like game ejections. If you are a college coach, and two players are about the same, even the smallest 'issue' can change your mind.

Keep in mind: in 2016, Arkansas D1 colleges [UofA, ASU, UCA, and UAPB] signed a total of 17 players from Arkansas.

My guess is that the total number of D1 players from Arkansas was certainly less than 35.

There are six D2 colleges in Arkansas, but they have far fewer scholarships to hand out. (36 at D2 vs. 85 at UofA/ASU)  Which means a scholarship to a D2 college for an incoming frseshman rarely is a full ride.

And D1 players are usually commit PRIOR to their senior year in high school. Which means the most important year for a HIGH END D1 athlete is his JUNIOR year. And the early season game out west was vitally important, because it may allow West Coast coaches/scouts to see him.

[NOTE: Every high school player has His Video, and colleges coaches are so overwhelmed, that many coaches have just about gone back to the old 'laying eyes on a player' analysis.]

THE ARTICLE HAS ERRORS...OR LIES?
Quote:
"McCorkle said during his 35 years as the attorney for the association, this is the first time he has dealt with a court injunction for an ejection. He said the appeal will be held within the judge's 30-day window."

There was a court injunction in late October, 2014, after the Paragould/Blytheville game. A northeast Arkansas judge handed out a court injunction on Wednesday. AAA got a Pulaski County judge to overrule, and issued the findings on..........Friday, at 4:15 pm.

That's right, less than 2 hours before game time.

bigchief72455

Then don't fight during the game. Easy solution.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: bigchief72455 on September 12, 2016, 12:59:01 pm
Then don't fight during the game. Easy solution.

Exactly. Sitting out a game has little to do with it. The fact remains that he was ejected for fighting, suspension or not.

Grond

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on September 12, 2016, 01:07:36 pm
Exactly. Sitting out a game has little to do with it. The fact remains that he was ejected for fighting, suspension or not.

So, if you are driving 65 mph in a 70 mph speeding zone, and you get pulled over and receive a ticket for going 75 mph, do you quietly pay the fine?

I know another case where AAA overturned a technical foul ruling when they found out that in two years, a player had received 6 TF's......from the same ref! (jumping to basketball)

minerjack

So, now this is a ref issue!  Are refs hired by the visitors these days or something??

bigchief72455

There has to be some standard to which we hold ourselves. The kid fought back and there were consequences or at least we thought there were. Rules need to be not open to interpretation or you will have this kind of mess every week. Should this player be shown some sort of preference because he is a college prospect?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas