• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PA parents sues AAA

Started by LC sports, September 10, 2016, 12:10:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

LC sports

Brian G

Don't know how I missed this but it's going to further blur the lines of authority.

We need to emphasize that PA the school DID NOT file this paperwork.  This is all on the parent.

Personally, I hate it.
Personally, I see no way missing this one game in Utah would hurt the kids potential for a scholie.

Bad deal all around.

purpleswag

Lol! This is great!! I wonder why a Pulaski county judge over ruled the AAA?? Kid probably goes to school there.

Anyway if any PA parent want to know why the football program gets crapped on all the time print this story and frame it

purpleswag

Quote from: B.G. on September 10, 2016, 12:42:54 pm
Don't know how I missed this but it's going to further blur the lines of authority.

We need to emphasize that PA the school DID NOT file this paperwork.  This is all on the parent.

Personally, I hate it.
Personally, I see no way missing this one game in Utah would hurt the kids potential for a scholie.

Bad deal all around.

Yeah but they didn't have to play him. It would have been the right thing to do to sit the kid like the rule states. Like hundreds of kids across the state have had to do for years

Brian G

Quote from: purpleswag on September 10, 2016, 12:47:16 pm
Yeah but they didn't have to play him. It would have been the right thing to do to sit the kid like the rule states. Like hundreds of kids across the state have had to do for years
Personally, that's what I would have done unless there is something about it we don't know.

scrapman

Nashville and Fountain Lake both had a player ejected vs eachother last year. On video, neither player did anything. They fell over eachither and no punches were thrown. Both coaches appealed to the AAA. They were told there is no appeal process and they won't even watch the film. They will not second guess officials even though Coach Gilleran and Coach V said the kid on the other team should be allowed to play.
On another note, if Coach Kelley said "We are going to do exactally what the AAA says" I don't think that is what was done. AAA said to sit the kid. A judge said it was OK to play.

Proud Buckaroo

This is ridiculous. Lol. One non-conference game is not going to ruin a 16 year kids dreams of going to college. Spoiled.

Oldbadger

Well, my understanding of the article was that they could play him, but, if the ruling goes against the young man, then PA would suffer the consequences of playing an ineligible player for that game and would have to forfeit. I guess, since they didn't win, nothing would be lost.  However, if I were the coach, I would sit him.

PA Dad

I don't know any more that what is in the article.  But, as I understand it, the kid had a right to appeal the suspension but the appeal couldn't be heard before the East game.  So, all the judge did is say let him play until the appeal is concluded.  If the ruling is upheld on appeal, the kid will still have to serve the one game suspension.

I personally don't think parents, players or fans should blame the officials for losing a game or for penalties.  I'm pretty confident the ruling will stand on appeal, so I wish the kid had just served the suspension.

On the other hand, if you are going to have an appeal process, it makes no sense for the kid to suffer the penalty before the appeal can be decided.

I may be all wrong about the appeal process.  That's just what I gathered from the article.  Someone who is familiar with AAA rules can correct me if I'm wrong.

GhostofRosswoodCC

This is a case of Little League parents of a Private school.    This is just plain stupid   nothing more to talk about.

the voice

As I understand the rule its if you swing , contact or not , closed fist or not , a swing is automatic ejection, deserved or not you swing you sit. Coach should have sat him. 

AirWarren

A spoiled, entitled kid at PA? Being entitled by his mommy?

Say it ain't so?

scrapman

Same kind of parent that will go ask the teacher about the bad grade their kid got instead of getting on the kid for a bad grade.  Have some accountability, it's ok to get punished for your actions. That's how you learn.

RedJacket

He can afford to go to PA but can't afford to go to college ???🤔

AirWarren

Quote from: RedJacket on September 10, 2016, 03:10:16 pm

I KNOW RIGHT!?

Entitlement with zero accountability.

ricepig

Quote from: RedJacket on September 10, 2016, 03:10:16 pm

He could be on scholarship......

Yellowcake

I'd explain this situation, but it wouldn't matter. All of you have your minds made up. My favorite bit of ridiculousness is the speculation that the judge probably has a kid at PA. I'm a lawyer. I know the judge and I know what happened. I was at the game, on the sidelines.. I know the ref made a mistake. I know what it means to seek injunctive relief.

I don't know if the mom's actions are right or wrong, but I am not going to belittle the parent, the kid or an entire academic institution based upon this action.

Congrats on finding a reason to hate some more. I think that's healthy.

MDXPHD

September 10, 2016, 03:49:47 pm #17 Last Edit: September 10, 2016, 03:51:43 pm by MDXPHD
Quote from: Yellowcake on September 10, 2016, 03:34:37 pm
I'd explain this situation, but it wouldn't matter. All of you have your minds made up. My favorite bit of ridiculousness is the speculation that the judge probably has a kid at PA. I'm a lawyer. I know the judge and I know what happened. I was at the game, on the sidelines.. I know the ref made a mistake. I know what it means to seek injunctive relief.

I don't know if the mom's actions are right or wrong, but I am not going to belittle the parent, the kid or an entire academic institution based upon this action.

But what if every parent brought a lawsuit against AAA when their kid gets some sort of punishment? The AAA is a voluntary association and PA voluntarily joined them. They should have disciplined the kid by following the AAA order to suspend him for a week. They may end up forfeiting games if they keep playing a player that hasn't served his suspension and is deemed ineligible. I'm not sure why he gets an injunction though. What did they sue the AAA for? what's the irreparable harm, missing one game? I'm not buying that. 

sportsguy80

I wasn't gonna touch this topic but I couldn't resist. This whole situation stinks. I just don't see what's the big deal about sitting out one nonconference game that still resulted in a loss. Did his stats get national attention or am I missing something?

Yellowcake

I haven't seen the order, but I agree, the irreparable harm is  the head scratcher. You are spot on my friend.

Allow me to do some speculation. The ejected player is Samoan. East has a very large percentage of Samoan players. Family members had spent thousands of dollars on plane tickets and hotel rooms. All of these things, and probably others, went into the decision to seek legal relief. Had this been a home game against a regular opponent, maybe this suit is never filed. Again, I am speculating on some things I see that might make a parent go to extraordinary measures following a player ejection and suspension.

I agree the claim about harming scholly chances is a stretch, but it's an argument. And lawyers need arguments. :)

Finally, I don't know if it is accurate that if his appeal is denied ultimately, PA would have to forfeit games in which he played. If that is true, then I can't believe KK would play him. Unless the plan is to let him play until conference play starts, at which time you sit him until a decision is made.

I am admittedly doing lots of speculating. I also understand that on its face, it looks like elitism. I am just trying to think it through.

MDXPHD

I agree that all of that would help their harm element, but irreparable harm is such a high burden. It seems like she's relying on her son missing 15 percent, or 1 game, and saying it is the irreparable harm because it apparently is a huge factor in whether her son gets to go to college or not. I just don't feel like it rises to the irreparable level, but every judge will view it differently. I think I'll find the order and go from there. This case opens up the doors to several lawsuits against AAA though. Look for them to change their system to just a simple dispute resolution.  They will fix this in their bylaws. They may even decide to put a clause in that says the refs decisions are the final rulings on these issues and just allows specific exceptions. Not sure what the exceptions would be but it just covers them.

scrapman

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 10, 2016, 04:11:08 pm
I agree that all of that would help their harm element, but irreparable harm is such a high burden. It seems like she's relying on her son missing 15 percent, or 1 game, and saying it is the irreparable harm because it apparently is a huge factor in whether her son gets to go to college or not. I just don't feel like it rises to the irreparable level, but every judge will view it differently. I think I'll find the order and go from there. This case opens up the doors to several lawsuits against AAA though. Look for them to change their system to just a simple dispute resolution.  They will fix this in their bylaws. They may even decide to put a clause in that says the refs decisions are the final rulings on these issues and just allows specific exceptions. Not sure what the exceptions would be but it just covers them.
They do have a policy on player elections. The policy is there is no way to dispute and the decision is final. They will not watch the video nor chance the ruling.

sportsguy80

Quote from: Yellowcake on September 10, 2016, 04:02:42 pm
I haven't seen the order, but I agree, the irreparable harm is  the head scratcher. You are spot on my friend.

Allow me to do some speculation. The ejected player is Samoan. East has a very large percentage of Samoan players. Family members had spent thousands of dollars on plane tickets and hotel rooms. All of these things, and probably others, went into the decision to seek legal relief. Had this been a home game against a regular opponent, maybe this suit is never filed. Again, I am speculating on some things I see that might make a parent go to extraordinary measures following a player ejection and suspension.

I agree the claim about harming scholly chances is a stretch, but it's an argument. And lawyers need arguments. :)

Finally, I don't know if it is accurate that if his appeal is denied ultimately, PA would have to forfeit games in which he played. If that is true, then I can't believe KK would play him. Unless the plan is to let him play until conference play starts, at which time you sit him until a decision is made.

I am admittedly doing lots of speculating. I also understand that on its face, it looks like elitism. I am just trying to think it through.
Thanks for info Yellow.

PA Dad

Quote from: scrapman on September 10, 2016, 04:38:10 pm
They do have a policy on player elections. The policy is there is no way to dispute and the decision is final. They will not watch the video nor chance the ruling.

Here is what the article reported:

But Piazza sided with the Amuimuias because he said he found merit in arguments by Hilburn that the teen could not go through the association's appeal process in time for a decision before Friday's game.

That sure sounds like the association allows an appeal.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 10, 2016, 04:11:08 pm

I think the irreparable harm is the deprivation of due process.  I think that's what drove the decision- the punishment would be imposed before the appeal could be heard.  And deprivation of due process is always irreparable harm.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on September 10, 2016, 03:49:47 pm
But what if every parent brought a lawsuit against AAA when their kid gets some sort of punishment? The AAA is a voluntary association and PA voluntarily joined them. They should have disciplined the kid by following the AAA order to suspend him for a week. They may end up forfeiting games if they keep playing a player that hasn't served his suspension and is deemed ineligible. I'm not sure why he gets an injunction though. What did they sue the AAA for? what's the irreparable harm, missing one game? I'm not buying that.

I agree that parents shouldn't be suing the AAA willy nilly.  But, the AAA has to live with its rules too.  If they allow an appeal, it must be meaningful.  An appeal after punishment is imposed is meaningless.  The AAA should change its rules to allow no appeal.

PA is not in any danger of forfeiting games.  The kid is eligible until the appeal is decided.

MDXPHD

Quote from: PA Dad on September 10, 2016, 05:01:59 pm
I think the irreparable harm is the deprivation of due process.  I think that's what drove the decision- the punishment would be imposed before the appeal could be heard.  And deprivation of due process is always irreparable harm.

I might go with that argument and that is AAA's fault for allowing appeals at will against these refs decisions. I just don't think there's much of a case here. Surely PA will sit the kid before conference if it would cost them to forfeit games.

Maynard G Krebs

Yellowcake

Few moments in life can't be summed up with a line from animal house or a Seinfeld episode. :)

HorseFeathers

I have nothing to add...except 1 game isn't 15% of a regular season....it's only a mere 10%

purpleswag

I love how the white collar turds try to spin everything to sound legit. The kid was ejected just like all kinds of other players get every year in arky.

But this kid gets a pass cause mommy threw a tantrum. Please

HorseFeathers

Quote from: purpleswag on September 10, 2016, 06:51:32 pm
I love how the white collar turds try to spin everything to sound legit. The kid was ejected just like all kinds of other players get every year in arky.

kinda agree...life ain't fair

sevenof400

Leaving most of this aside, how do you know this:

sevenof400

Quote from: PA Dad on September 10, 2016, 04:59:10 pm
Here is what the article reported:

But Piazza sided with the Amuimuias because he said he found merit in arguments by Hilburn that the teen could not go through the association's appeal process in time for a decision before Friday's game.

That sure sounds like the association allows an appeal.

With AAA, there is the allowing of an appeal versus the reality that AAA will do everything in its power to deny appeals lest they encourage more appeals.

AAA needs oversight.  And sunshine. Lots of both. 

nuttinbuthogs

So the kid played, if the appeal goes against him, PA played an ineligible player and will they have to forfiet?  Get ready for another appeal.

scrapman

All I know is that last year Fountain lake and Nashville were both told they could not appeal. Maybe there is a seperate rule for PA.

AirWarren

Quote from: purpleswag on September 10, 2016, 06:51:32 pm

People with "money" don't like being held back. You can't swipe a card with certain rules and regs.

Brian G

In a unrelated matter, I know of a case where a player was ejected.  The coach actually went post game to the ref and got the ref to NOT officially report the ejection.  It was reported in the media that the ejection didn't really happen and the player set out the rest of the game on a "coaches decision".

The player was a key part of the next game.  The parents found out about the coach's shenanigans and held their son our themselves.

The AAA is handcuffed a lot and some stuff they bring on themselves but here is a clear case of parents and coaches that could control the situation instead of inflaming it.

Oldbadger

Maybe I don't understand the meaning of the article, but this sentence is what I felt meant PA might have to forfeit if they played the kid.  In the Ark DemGaz, "The ruling did not mean the teen had a court order to play football. Putting him into the game would still be up to the Little Rock private school.  The judge was told PA could be sanctioned if association regulators later determine the Bruins had fielded a player who was ineligible." What does that mean?

Yellowcake

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 10, 2016, 06:58:24 pm
Leaving most of this aside, how do you know this:

I was standing on the sidelines, watching. If the rule requires a punch, he never threw a punch. He pushed away from the other player as the player ripped off his helmet.

Purple swag, folks like you make this world a better place. Assumption based judgment of others. Defining masses based on the action of a few. Keep up the good work.

purpleswag

Quote from: Yellowcake on September 11, 2016, 01:08:37 am
I was standing on the sidelines, watching. If the rule requires a punch, he never threw a punch. He pushed away from the other player as the player ripped off his helmet.

Purple swag, folks like you make this world a better place. Assumption based judgment of others. Defining masses based on the action of a few. Keep up the good work.

When did I judge anyone? I will give you the assumption part with the judges kid comment, but even being a lawyer you have to have realized that was a back handed attempt at making a joke.

I stated the fact that this kid got thrown out just like anyone else that gets in an altercation and mommy went and sued the AAA.

DEVIL DOG HOG

How much harm did the mother do?  Would you, as a Head coach, sign any player who's parent would intervene In your program?

AirWarren

Quote from: purpleswag on September 11, 2016, 06:55:55 am
When did I judge anyone? I will give you the assumption part with the judges kid comment, but even being a lawyer you have to have realized that was a back handed attempt at making a joke.

I stated the fact that this kid got thrown out just like anyone else that gets in an altercation and mommy went and sued the AAA.

That's the thing. This was treated like ANY OTHER EJECTION in the state. From cutter morning star to Bentonville. It just so happens, the "victim" is at PA. Not so fast my friend.

I don't care if the opposing player was antagonizing. He got what he wanted and the pa kid lost his cool and got caught. He got in the weak's head and the weak got ejected. I'm all for defending yourself but you better be ready for the consequences. Evidently, this PA family wasn't.

Your actions pave the way for results. Tough tit if you can't go on an expensive football trip. Shouldn't have taken that swing.

the voice

September 11, 2016, 09:12:38 am #43 Last Edit: September 11, 2016, 09:22:56 am by the voice
^^^^ +1 agreed

The rule often times gets players who aren't guilty of a punch or are less guilty than the other. It's easy to get ejected by it. The rule is to prevent any fights getting out of hand. Matters not who the player plays for. If you swing you get tossed.

AirWarren

Quote from: the voice on September 11, 2016, 09:12:38 am
^^^^ +1 agreed

The rule often times gets players who aren't guilty of a punch or are less guilty than the other. It's easy to get ejected by it. The rule is to prevent any fights getting out of hand. Matters not who the player plays for. If you swing you get tossed.

They live in a exempt world. Which is why they are suing. Regular rules don't apply.

bigchief72455

If AAA does not handle this correctly they will open Pandora's box. Believe that.

sevenof400

Quote from: bigchief72455 on September 11, 2016, 10:22:53 am
If AAA does not handle this correctly they will open Pandora's box. Believe that.

Considering the number of packages already open, it's unlikely they're going to handle this correctly.

Oldbadger

Yes or no, did the kid play last Friday?

Brian G

He DID play.

AAA ruling was at least temporarily suspended by the judge.  Meaning he was allowed to play.

PA could have held him out on their own but didn't.  If they had, this would have been over.  They choose not to do so.

Thus he's yet to sit the required game.

froglips

It seems pretty simple to me.  If PA wants to be a member of the AAA, they should have to abide by the AAA rules.  If they don't, then it's time for them to move on.  They have the money to travel all over the nation and play games so they don't need the AAA anyway.  Their display of horrible sportsmanship at last year's state championship game and now refusing to do what's right and abide by the rules makes it easy to understand why they are so disliked.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas