• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Maumelle Hornets @ Harrison Golden Goblins

Started by Go Postal, January 27, 2015, 10:58:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Go Postal

This is a midway conference game.
Maumelle is on a 6 conference game winning streak and are currently 6-0 for 1st place.
Harrison had a heartbreaking loss last game and are currently 4-2 tied for 2nd place.

Comments and insights are welcomed...

Forrest City H

Harrison girls will have no problems.  However, your boys will likely get stung!

Vteagle

As crazy is the West is....Harrison will probably win!  Take the craziness out of the equation and Maumelle should win!  Hornets are stronger, quicker, more athletic!  If Harrison can get to the free throw line and limit turnovers, this is a game!!!

Chief_Osceola™

Harrison girls will win.
Maumelle boys should win.

Emphasis on should - the Hornets have rolled through the first half of the conference season thus far, with its closest game being a 9-point win over LRC. However, Harrison is a tough place to go and get a win. I think ultimately the game will be competitive, and Maumelle will have to be able to take a punch in the mouth and respond to try to keep the crowd from becoming a factor. In the end I think Maumelle's quickness and athleticism will be the difference.

Elvis Hoggoblin

Maumelle in Trouble???  Or is that just a rumor?

mijally

Quote from: Elvis Hoggoblin on January 28, 2015, 12:49:08 pm
Maumelle in Trouble???  Or is that just a rumor?
Sounds like you got some news Elvis. Come clean. Since there are no other comments on the board or in the Maumelle community that I have heard yet looks like you are the origin of a new rumor about Maumelle.  What's the word in Goblin land about Maumelle that Harrison folks know that Maumelle doesn't?  Trouble usually means ineligible player. Give us a fact With specifics Elvis. Don't tease us.

Go Postal

Looking at both team's last 6 game scores average against the same opponents:

Maumelle has 72.6666667 points acquired and 56.0000000 points given up per game.

Harrison has 66.3333333 points acquired and 63.6666667 points given up per game.

Elvis Hoggoblin

At this point, all that I know  is "hear say".  I was hoping someone that has "facts" might speak up.
I am awaiting more info before I say any thing else.

Elvis Hoggoblin

Ok...I have a fact.

#14 on Maumelle's basketball team played football THIS YEAR at Conway.  He was #1 on the Wampus Cat Football team.
This is a fact.

mijally

I should have known better than to pay any attention to you.

Elvis Hoggoblin

So....You are telling me that is not a fact?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Elvis Hoggoblin on January 28, 2015, 03:35:42 pm
So....You are telling me that is not a fact?

Does it matter?  I mean, if he was cleared by the AAA, it should be a moot point.  There are extinuating circumstances that allow that.

Elvis Hoggoblin

I'm just asking.  I was told that last night and replied to the person that told me that they were nuts.
I've been around Arkansas high school athletics for over 40 years and I just have never heard of this happening before.
I guess that I'm just being ridiculous for finding that highly unusual?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Elvis Hoggoblin on January 28, 2015, 04:16:43 pm
I'm just asking.  I was told that last night and replied to the person that told me that they were nuts.
I've been around Arkansas high school athletics for over 40 years and I just have never heard of this happening before.
I guess that I'm just being ridiculous for finding that highly unusual?

Understood. I've heard of it happening before, usually when someone moves from one physical address to another in a different school district. I have no idea about this particular instance but I figure it's a non-issue if he's still playing. Mijally can probably clarify - I'm pretty sure they're more plugged in to the program than I am.

mijally

I've seen every Maumelle game this semester and half of them during football season so I know the names of all the players and I have never seen a 14 Johnson from Conway dressed for Maumelle. Who specifically said Maumelle's in trouble and for what?

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: mijally on January 28, 2015, 05:15:15 pm
I've seen every Maumelle game this semester and half of them during football season so I know the names of all the players and I have never seen a 14 Johnson from Conway dressed for Maumelle. Who specifically said Maumelle's in trouble and for what?

LOL someone must've done some digging and saw his name posted on maxpreps or added it themselves.

mijally

Lol. Is that where they got it?  Lol somebody add Bobby Portis.

Go Postal

I have no idea of what you guys are talking about.  But it got me curious to read Ariticle III of the AAA handbook.
1.  It gave me a headache reading so much gibber jabber.  I didn't realize how many rules there were for a kid to play sports for a public or non public school.  Wow, talk about making it that much harder for a kid moving from one school to another and then, that kid also wants to play sports.
2.  It did, for me, clarify the rules better on about 9th graders and foreign exchange students eligibility to play Varsity ball.

I remember when I was in my late teens (40 years ago).  Already graduated from Mtn. Home.  My younger sister and brother were still in school there.  My folks moved to a farm that bordered the Mtn. Home and Cotter school districts.  Our (now called 911) address was a Gassville address.  Our phone number was a Whiteville number.  But we were still on the outskirts of the Mtn. Home school district, the neighbor kids down the road fell under the Cotter district.  Talk about location, location, location.

mijally

I just heard this player played in the CAC tournament the first semester and he was good. I missed those games.

HockeySticks

Well evidently he's playing and from what I've read and seen on Gob TV, Maumelle boys win by double digits and Lady Goblin's do the same!

Elvis Hoggoblin

Quote from: HockeySticks on January 29, 2015, 12:43:32 pm
Well evidently he's playing and from what I've read and seen on Gob TV, Maumelle boys win by double digits and Lady Goblin's do the same!

You are the same guy that picked the Greenbrier sweep last Friday.  Brilliant!

Go Postal

January 29, 2015, 07:16:57 pm #21 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 10:35:07 pm by Go Postal
Quote from: Forrest City H on January 28, 2015, 07:42:10 am
Harrison girls will have no problems.  However, your boys will likely get stung!
Quote from: Vteagle on January 28, 2015, 08:36:43 am
As crazy is the West is....Harrison will probably win!  Take the craziness out of the equation and Maumelle should win!  Hornets are stronger, quicker, more athletic!  If Harrison can get to the free throw line and limit turnovers, this is a game!!!
Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on January 28, 2015, 12:13:52 pm
Harrison girls will win.
Maumelle boys should win.

Emphasis on should - the Hornets have rolled through the first half of the conference season thus far, with its closest game being a 9-point win over LRC. However, Harrison is a tough place to go and get a win. I think ultimately the game will be competitive, and Maumelle will have to be able to take a punch in the mouth and respond to try to keep the crowd from becoming a factor. In the end I think Maumelle's quickness and athleticism will be the difference.
Heck, I agree with all of you.  Maumelle seems to have an outstanding sports program coming into the 5A West conference.  They proved it in the football season.  They have had a heck of a basketball season so far.  Not sure what Spring sports they have, probably baseball (got to beat Vtown, LRCA or GOBS) if they play track and field (got to beat Vtown) or soccer (got to beat 'briar, LRCA or GOBS), but I think that they have been a fine addition to the West and I'm glad that we have them.

BUT,
THIS GAME
WILL BE AT THE
"SPOOK HOUSE"...

Hey, the Devil Dogs pulled a win by 4 points at Harrison, so anything is possible. ;)

But seriously, Good Luck to both teams at this midway junction.  A Hornet win will help solidify their 1st seed.  A Goblin win will help to totally confuse the possible seedings going into the second half of conference play.

TheOfficial

I have also been told that Maumelle has a kid playing for them that played football at Conway this season.

HockeySticks

I did your right. Lets see if I'm wrong again. Especially after the boys lost to hapless Clarksville.

Elvis Hoggoblin

Yeah hockey.  You probably picked us to win at Clarkville. Keep picking our opponent. Lol

Go Postal

Quote from: HockeySticks on January 29, 2015, 10:18:50 pm
I did your right. Lets see if I'm wrong again. Especially after the boys lost to hapless Clarksville.
The Harrison @ Clarksville game.  Everything that could go good for the Panthers did happen, not so much for the Goblins.  I'm glad that Clarksville won that game, makes them want to win more.  This is one reason that I have always been a 5A West fan.  The underdogs can always pull an upset.  Makes this an exciting conference.  Halfway point, let's see what the rest of the season happens to show.

Go Postal

Go Postal

From what I've read and seen on Gob TV, Maumelle boys win by double digits and Lady Goblin's do the same!
Harrison Goblins 51
Maumelle Hornets 60

Final.  Great game Maumelle Hornets at the Spook House.  It was very close back and forth during most of the game until the last minutes.  Too many turnovers by the GOBS.  I lost count after 20.  A lot of missed shots by both teams.  Great season so far Hornets.  Keep up the great work.  But I heard that Clarksville beat Greenbriar tonight.  On a 2 game winning streak. ;)

HockeySticks

Well looks like I got this one right, Elvis stay tuned for next pics. Great game.

Go Postal

Quote from: HockeySticks on January 30, 2015, 09:14:06 pm
Well looks like I got this one right, Elvis stay tuned for next pics. Great game.

Huh?

From what I've read and seen on Gob TV, Maumelle boys win by double digits and Lady Goblin's do the same!
But I do agree with you.  A great game.  Could have gone either way.

Go Postal

So Maumelle has proved that they want 1st seed in the first half of the West season.  A great accomplishment.  Their only closest games have been with #2 Morriton and Harrison by 9 points.  Second half is about to began.  Good Luck to the Hornets and the rest of the West teams on this second half.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Go Postal on January 30, 2015, 08:58:49 pmI heard that Clarksville beat Greenbriar tonight.  On a 2 game winning streak. ;)

This was one of the games I was talking about with things getting interesting in the West. After next Friday's games there could be a giant logjam in the middle. 3-8 are separated by 2 games with 7 left to go. Gonna be a wild finish as usual.

Chief_Osceola™

As for this game - I thought Harrison played a good game. It was apparent they'd been drilled all week about getting back on defense and stopping transition buckets. I also thought Harrison's guards handled Maumelle's quickness and pressure pretty well for the most part. Aside from a few errant and forced passes, I thought they did a nice job of controlling the tempo and forcing Maumelle to play a half court game. The 3-2 zone was pretty effective, especially with Maumelle being inconsistent from the outside. On the other hand, I thought Maumelle did a nice job of answering every time Harrison made a run. That's what it takes to win on the road and Maumelle got some big stops and buckets down the stretch.

All in all a great basketball game.

Jock

Quote from: Chief_Osceola™ on January 30, 2015, 10:16:46 pm
Quote from: Go Postal on January 30, 2015, 08:58:49 pmI heard that Clarksville beat Greenbriar tonight.  On a 2 game winning streak. ;)

This was one of the games I was talking about with things getting interesting in the West. After next Friday's games there could be a giant logjam in the middle. 3-8 are separated by 2 games with 7 left to go. Gonna be a wild finish as usual.

GBrier would really need some serious mojo at this point to have a shot at making it. IMO, the drama will play out for spot 3 and 4 between Gobs, Vtown, Christian, Farmtown... and yes Clarksville. Stranger things have happened.

Jock

Quote from: TheOfficial on January 29, 2015, 10:06:16 pm
I have also been told that Maumelle has a kid playing for them that played football at Conway this season.

This talk about the player from Maumelle who supposedly was on the Conway football team (same school year) stopped being discussed without any real answer. Is this a legit issue?  Especially now with all the publicity over KJ Hill and NLR debacle. If the young man legitimately moved from one address in one school district to another address in another school district... I see no reason or AAA rule that wud prevent him from immediately being eligible and playing.  Can Anybody from maumelle put this issue to bed for everyone??

mijally

For what it's worth a student told me he has been at Maumelle since last semester so unless a $600 check made out to a family member shows up I think we're good.

cantbeataeagle

You can not play for two different schools in same year.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: cantbeataeagle on February 08, 2015, 10:36:36 am
You can not play for two different schools in same year.

There are extenuating circumstances- if it was cleared through the AAA then there is no problem.

HawgDaddy

Actually, a student athlete can play athletics at two different schools in the same calendar year if there is a legitimate move.  However, a student athlete cannot play the same sport at two different schools in the same year.

Since he played football at Conway and plays basketball at Maumelle, I'm sure he is eligible.  This case would require a waiver from the AAA, but it is more common than you think.  The AAA wouldn't have a problem granting the waiver if the proper documentation and evidence of a legitimate move was presented.

Now, if he was recruited and there's money involved, that changes the dynamics a bit.  However, the fact that a student athlete has played football in Conway and basketball at Maumelle, could be completely innocent.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas