• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Transfer to Greenwood?

Started by MDXPHD, January 16, 2015, 08:41:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Why, there'll be a transfer, isn't that the answer these days? I'm not slamming this particular situation, but in the "old" days, you sat until your turn. If you could help your team, you played another position.

Baitshop

Southside has an opening at QB....

Send all inquiries to:

Baitshop -Director of Procurement
c/o DixiePrep
1 DixiePrep Way
Ft. Smith, AR. 72903

The Future

Thanks for the explanation Pr8hd.

All I got to say is seriously?? We already have stupid issues and drama in the NFL and College ball. I mean right now in the NFL, we have deflate gate and lynch's media antics. Once the College preseason starts going, itll be only a matter of time before we have another Reggie Bush, Cam Newton, Joe Paterno, Bobby Petrino, Jameis Winston, or imaginary girlfriend issue pop up. We don't need it to trickle down to the high school level. Who gives a flip whos been here the longest. ( Heck 99 percent of the players and fans have been Greenwood residents longer than Drew and Grant Morgan but I don't hear anyone bring that up) I know in the grand scheme of Greenwood's whos who of families, its very important whos more popular than who. But in the stands, it doesn't matter. We're all Greenwood fans. Leave that crap at the gate.

I have much more to say, but I don't know enough about the situation and I don't wanna say something incorrect. But I will say this. I really hope all this is just talk.  I really hope as the preseason goes, this issue doesn't become worse and I'm not gonna have to listen to fans bickering about this once the season starts. And I really hope the families involved will have more respect and maturity to not drag this out and blow it up into something its not.
But if all what yall have said really happens and the stands will be split and people will be fighting or arguing all over a stupid little issue. Then I'll be ashamed to be a Bulldog fan and most likely will just stay at home and watch the game via live stream.
I love football but I hate stupid drama even more. So if going to a game means having to constantly here fans arguing and split like yall said, then count me out.

Whew, that escaladed quickly

Maclin on your girl

January 29, 2015, 01:25:27 pm #53 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:33:50 pm by Maclin on your girl
They're both good whoever gets the job will do great.

Pr8hd

January 29, 2015, 01:38:53 pm #54 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 01:50:37 pm by Pr8hd
Politics and who your "daddy" is has been part of athletics and many other schools a long, long time. In some cases, it takes precedence even over talent at least in many a daddy and momma's eyes. There is always going to be that underlying seed on every level up to college basically and even then if you have lineage or pedigree you get more leeway than without.

Bait and I had a discussion on here once about the "Nuevo" GW fan vs. the "Old Guard" GW fan awhile back because the 'Nuevo" fans have little grasp on where the program once was. Therefore, the arrogance exudes at times because all they know is the recent history. It's easy to be a Seahawks/Patriots under Wilson/Brady fan now, but what about the Jim Zorn or Steve Grogan years?? Every one loves a winner. Loyalty is harder to come by when your team is not perennially winning championships or playing deep in the playoffs.

It's also a building block for Bait's Bandwagon Exodus Theorem...I think this year proved his assessment to be closer to fact than fiction. The support waned to some degree in multiple ways. The true fans have stuck, some of the bandwagon fans have faded off without a doubt.

As far as the QB issue, things will likely work themselves out. I don't think the boys or families have issues per say, but there is always going to be talk or scuttlebutt. Any one with a player no matter the level or point on the depth chart is going to groan to a degree if it means their boy is going to get bypassed even if it helps the team overall. The real issue in this case may be that if both have D1 aspirations at QB, either would be hard pressed to play another position to not showcase their talent.   

Baitshop

My concern is not about the "old guard vs. new guard" as much as it is about the status/standing of the families of a some of the young men that MAY be impacted by this QB competition...my understanding is that there are some big hitters in GW circles involved....

As I told a GW fan at the restaurant the other day, if you "advertise" for move-ins/transfers, this may be the kind of stuff that you will have to live with...do you want have the best opportunity to win or do you want "your" kid to play..??

Jeep71

I appreciate your concern for the program. ::)

Baitshop

January 29, 2015, 03:35:23 pm #57 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 03:37:16 pm by Baitshop
Jeep....I'm worried about you...

:-)

BTW Jeep.....how "old Greenwood" are you..??  Is '71 your starting point..??

Jeep71

So what year would you consider the old vs the new? And what category do you consider yourself to be in.

Baitshop

January 29, 2015, 04:43:03 pm #59 Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 04:45:02 pm by Baitshop
Moved to GW in 1974...there was no such thing as new and old GW back then....they took me in like I had been there all my life...

I lived IN Greenwood for 3+ years and still consider it "home" when talking about my youth....

Moved to Fort Worth in '81 and back in '94....Greenwood had turned into a bedroom community of Ft. Smith with a bunch of yuppies and folks that, IMO,  have tried to turn the homie charm of Greenwood into where ever they came from I.e. the circus that GW politics was during and preceding the Ken Edwards years as mayor....

My issue has never been with the old GW folks...because the they remember the Sadler and Fox years when the Bulldogs were mediocre more years than not....my issue is with the band wagon GW fans who believe thatGW has always been the Peacock- Jones years...they are fans of the trophies and Championships and when that stops they quit showing up...

As always...JOMHO...

So Jeep, are going to answer my question or do you not discuss that on public forums either..??   

;-)

catfish1

From what Ive seen GW folk's should be ready for football get your season passes and parking places bought . If we can get some blocking and receiver's it could be Rock bound

Baitshop

Just curious....what were the passing stats for the young man that played QB for Greenwood last year (2014)..??

The Future

Quote from: Baitshop on January 29, 2015, 04:43:03 pm
Moved to GW in 1974...there was no such thing as new and old GW back then....they took me in like I had been there all my life...

I lived IN Greenwood for 3+ years and still consider it "home" when talking about my youth....

Moved to Fort Worth in '81 and back in '94....Greenwood had turned into a bedroom community of Ft. Smith with a bunch of yuppies and folks that, IMO,  have tried to turn the homie charm of Greenwood into where ever they came from I.e. the circus that GW politics was during and preceding the Ken Edwards years as mayor....

My issue has never been with the old GW folks...because the they remember the Sadler and Fox years when the Bulldogs were mediocre more years than not....my issue is with the band wagon GW fans who believe thatGW has always been the Peacock- Jones years...they are fans of the trophies and Championships and when that stops they quit showing up...

As always...JOMHO...

So Jeep, are going to answer my question or do you not discuss that on public forums either..??   

;-)

Lots of good points Bait.

I just want to clarify a couple things.
1. There are those few exceptions to the old vs new Greenwood fans. I have been a fan since 95. I know it's not near as long as most on here but I was born in 90 so I've been a fan ever since I found out what a football was. All my family bleeds Greenwood blue as well. I've heard plenty stories of Greenwood Football pre Peacock. There are those of us you guys would consider "new" to be very knowledgeable enough like the oldies.
On the flip side, I went to school with guys who had never stepped foot in the stadium. Didn't know anything about football and hardly knew the players names and numbers. I'm sure this is nothing new. I'm sure back in y'all's days there were those handful of people who hated football and never went to games and didnt know squat about football. They graduated Greenwood and moved off and still probably couldn't tell you where Tyler Wilson went to high school. Ok maybe a stretch lol but you get my drift.
Just because you're old doesn't mean you know the old stuff and just because you're young doesn't mean you don't know old stuff.

2. Maybe I'm just stupid I don't know. But what does JOMHO mean??
I know what JMHO means. But why do people put the extra O?

5Greenjellybeans

Quote from: Baitshop on January 29, 2015, 06:15:00 pm
Just curious....what were the passing stats for the young man that played QB for Greenwood last year (2014)..??
174/247, 70%, 2321, 13.3 ave per comp, 22tds, 5 picks

Baitshop

The Future

Quote from: Baitshop on January 29, 2015, 08:24:41 pm
Just ONE Mans Humble Opinion

Ah ok. Makes sense.
Never thought about it that way.

I always heard Just My Honest/Humble Opinion.

Pr8hd

January 30, 2015, 09:05:00 am #66 Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 09:09:41 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: 5Greenjellybeans on January 29, 2015, 08:05:23 pm

It was a real travesty IMO that the GW Sr QB was not an All State QB 6A Selection, yet Alma's and Siloam's QB's were. Teams GW beat by a combined score of 92-10. He was far superior to the other two on the season and head to head.

I think the same can be said of RB as well. Those two deserved to be on the selection. They were both at the top of the 7A/6A Central in passing and rushing.

I guess that is off the topic though. Of course, there are still many who believe the other QB (one of the ones mentioned) would have fared better than the Sr one had he started instead. 

Just goes to show, always going to be those that think they know better than the coaches even one of the best in Arkansas. Jones will deal with this and start the one that gives him and the team the best chance to win.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: The Future on January 29, 2015, 01:24:28 pm
Thanks for the explanation Pr8hd.

All I got to say is seriously?? We already have stupid issues and drama in the NFL and College ball. I mean right now in the NFL, we have deflate gate and lynch's media antics. Once the College preseason starts going, itll be only a matter of time before we have another Reggie Bush, Cam Newton, Joe Paterno, Bobby Petrino, Jameis Winston, or imaginary girlfriend issue pop up. We don't need it to trickle down to the high school level. Who gives a flip whos been here the longest. ( Heck 99 percent of the players and fans have been Greenwood residents longer than Drew and Grant Morgan but I don't hear anyone bring that up) I know in the grand scheme of Greenwood's whos who of families, its very important whos more popular than who. But in the stands, it doesn't matter. We're all Greenwood fans. Leave that crap at the gate.

I have much more to say, but I don't know enough about the situation and I don't wanna say something incorrect. But I will say this. I really hope all this is just talk.  I really hope as the preseason goes, this issue doesn't become worse and I'm not gonna have to listen to fans bickering about this once the season starts. And I really hope the families involved will have more respect and maturity to not drag this out and blow it up into something its not.
But if all what yall have said really happens and the stands will be split and people will be fighting or arguing all over a stupid little issue. Then I'll be ashamed to be a Bulldog fan and most likely will just stay at home and watch the game via live stream.
I love football but I hate stupid drama even more. So if going to a game means having to constantly here fans arguing and split like yall said, then count me out.

Whew, that escaladed quickly

Better get a big screen hooked up to the live stream then...

ricepig

Quote from: Pr8hd on January 30, 2015, 09:05:00 am
Quote from: 5Greenjellybeans on January 29, 2015, 08:05:23 pm

It was a real travesty IMO that the GW Sr QB was not an All State QB 6A Selection, yet Alma's and Siloam's QB's were. Teams GW beat by a combined score of 92-10. He was far superior to the other two on the season and head to head.

I think the same can be said of RB as well. Those two deserved to be on the selection. They were both at the top of the 7A/6A Central in passing and rushing.

I guess that is off the topic though. Of course, there are still many who believe the other QB (one of the ones mentioned) would have fared better than the Sr one had he started instead. 

Just goes to show, always going to be those that think they know better than the coaches even one of the best in Arkansas. Jones will deal with this and start the one that gives him and the team the best chance to win.

Talk to Coach Jones, he decides who is All-State on his team, just like the coaches at Siloam, Alma, Jonesboro, etc.......

Pr8hd

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2015, 09:46:27 am

Talk to Coach Jones, he decides who is All-State on his team, just like the coaches at Siloam, Alma, Jonesboro, etc.......

I guess I was under impression the coaches nominated and their was a collective vote at conference and classification level.

5Greenjellybeans

Pr8hd

I agree 100% with that for obvious reasons, rice is right. It's up to the coaches who gets all state all conference and the like. It definitely was disappointing for Jordan and all it did was get him fired up for this season. He's seeing a speed trainer and so far his fastest time with him has been a 4.37. So I think it's working...lol. Also he's on a weight gainer as well, wants to be at 190 by season start he's at 180 right now

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: 5Greenjellybeans on January 30, 2015, 04:34:44 pm
Pr8hd

I agree 100% with that for obvious reasons, rice is right. It's up to the coaches who gets all state all conference and the like. It definitely was disappointing for Jordan and all it did was get him fired up for this season. He's seeing a speed trainer and so far his fastest time with him has been a 4.37. So I think it's working...lol. Also he's on a weight gainer as well, wants to be at 190 by season start he's at 180 right now
4.37...Really? lolololololol...40 times and bench press are always overblown...

5Greenjellybeans

Baitshop

Pr8hd

I can coach him up on the weight gaining....and, like Jenny Craig, all I will charge you for is the food...

Have him show up Monday morning at 2515 Rogers Avenue with a fork and enough tip money to keep the waitress off of my butt and I can put 3 or 4 pounds a week on him easily...guarandamnteed..!!

5Greenjellybeans

Quote from: Baitshop on January 30, 2015, 07:51:54 pm
Pr8hd

I can coach him up on the weight gaining....and, like Jenny Craig, all I will charge you for is the food...

Have him show up Monday morning at 2515 Rogers Avenue with a fork and enough tip money to keep the waitress off of my butt and I can put 3 or 4 pounds a week on him easily...guarandamnteed..!!
Done deal!!!!

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: 5Greenjellybeans on January 30, 2015, 07:33:44 pm
Don't hate
Not hating...but a 4.37 is world class speed...his door would be getting knocked down...

5Greenjellybeans

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: 5Greenjellybeans on January 31, 2015, 03:17:15 pm
It is
So what is the name of this wonder kid in Greenwood? Don't see anything about any kid on 247 or Rivals...

5Greenjellybeans

And I hope you never will see him on there or hootens or any stupid website that claims they know where the "best" athletes are...greenwoods best kept secret and I hope it stays that way. He has letters of interest from Mizzu (21), Louisville (3),ASU, and the hogs as of now. The so called experts are far from being experts.

zebradynasty

So how tall is he or is that a secret too?

5Greenjellybeans

JimRat

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 30, 2015, 11:31:22 pm
Quote from: 5Greenjellybeans on January 30, 2015, 07:33:44 pm
Don't hate
Not hating...but a 4.37 is world class speed...his door would be getting knocked down...

hand timing is so subjective!

5Greenjellybeans

Guys you can believe it or not...but the time isn't coming from me. It's coming from his trainer...I realize that it may be hard to believe because hardly none of you ever come close to that but I did and since he's my son, it's not too uncommon for your offspring to be just as, if not faster than their father. Right? So hate all you want, we're VERY used to it

Coach Venny Slocombe

So if it is his trainer then it is a hand held time...so factor in the difference between hand held and actual time (Laser) then that pushes it back to around a 4.47 and then the fact it is blown up by his trainer it is actually a 4.5...

Yeah, and if my son were that fast I wouldn't want him on a website that would promote his ability and make him more accessible to more schools and opportunities... ::)

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 01, 2015, 08:27:06 am
So if it is his trainer then it is a hand held time...so factor in the difference between hand held and actual time (Laser) then that pushes it back to around a 4.47 and then the fact it is blown up by his trainer it is actually a 4.5...

Yeah, and if my son were that fast I wouldn't want him on a website that would promote his ability and make him more accessible to more schools and opportunities... ::)

Don't go making sense, it messes us up.......

Good luck with his recruiting, but don't believe half of what any of them tell you, but do enjoy the free tickets and sideline passes.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2015, 10:09:07 am

Good luck with his recruiting, but don't believe half of what any of them tell you, but do enjoy the free tickets and sideline passes.
lol, rice I have witnessed so many kids that tell you, I run a 4.4 or even a 4.5 and in reality it is a 4.6...and listen, in high school 4.6 is pretty dang fast...bench is another one...I love all theses kids that bench 450...lol...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 01, 2015, 11:15:23 am

lol, rice I have witnessed so many kids that tell you, I run a 4.4 or even a 4.5 and in reality it is a 4.6...and listen, in high school 4.6 is pretty dang fast...bench is another one...I love all theses kids that bench 450...lol...

I bet there aren't that many kids that run a true 4.6 in Arkansas. I remember when my oldest was a SR, we had a kid that played LB, like he did, and most thought he was a shoe-in for D-I offers. They both ran 4.8's, well, technically 4.79's, but the kid that was being recruited was always 4.6 in reports,haha. Now, he weighed 225# to mine's 195#, but it was always interesting to read.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on February 01, 2015, 12:24:18 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on February 01, 2015, 11:15:23 am

I bet there aren't that many kids that run a true 4.6 in Arkansas. I remember when my oldest was a SR, we had a kid that played LB, like he did, and most thought he was a shoe-in for D-I offers. They both ran 4.8's, well, technically 4.79's, but the kid that was being recruited was always 4.6 in reports,haha. Now, he weighed 225# to mine's 195#, but it was always interesting to read.
See rice, that is realistic. I have some very close friends on the GW staff and close to the program and they say there is NOBODY is running a 4.37 or even close...

justme87

If a kid can run a 4.37 40 he gonna have more than letters of interest. He gonna have like 20 something offers. plz gtf outta here.

Jack1990

Quote from: justme87 on February 05, 2015, 12:29:24 pm
If a kid can run a 4.37 40 he gonna have more than letters of interest. He gonna have like 20 something offers. plz gtf outta here.

Poor attempt to skirt the rules there...guessing someone will or has already received a vacation on his first post.

AirWarren

Quote from: justme87 on February 05, 2015, 12:29:24 pm

Congrats on your first post.

Valleysports

So Korban Waldemar, DT and Kevin Jones, K - Tech going to be a good fit?

Baitshop

Quote from: Valleysports on February 09, 2015, 09:09:40 pm

The Waldemar kid is a beast....if he were 4" taller he may have been a D1 (UCA, ASU type) guy...

I think that 3 Southside kids signed with them too...

Valleysports

Excellent!  Have Ft Smith and Alma kids also - I asked you about on 7A, Southside vs Alma thread.

Pr8hd

February 10, 2015, 08:09:56 am #94 Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:14:00 am by Pr8hd
Quote from: Baitshop on February 09, 2015, 09:51:09 pm
Quote from: Valleysports on February 09, 2015, 09:09:40 pm

I think that 3 Southside kids signed with them too...

Acosta, Campbell, and Perry (I think). All are really solid...Acosta was a tackling machine this year. In addition, also got a good lineman from VB, Cole and I think a deep snapper / OL from Alma, Folkerts. Tech really grabbed a lot of this areas players and excited for all them to see how they do.

They also got Chamorro, from Conway, who I think is absolute beast at RB.

fbisgreat

I think I seen were the QB Jackson from SS 2 years ago tranferred there.

Valleysports

Tech took 24 kids from Arkansas - hope it works out.  Coach is in his 2nd year - hope he can get them back on winning side.

beach bum

Quote from: Valleysports on February 10, 2015, 07:47:47 pm
Tech took 24 kids from Arkansas - hope it works out.  Coach is in his 2nd year - hope he can get them back on winning side.

Stay optimistic... in RussVegas the new coach may turn the hometown high school into Techs own recruiting pipeline  ;D

Valleysports

February 10, 2015, 08:31:22 pm #98 Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 08:37:27 pm by Valleysports
I said I wanted Tech to turn things around - I'd rather Tech recruit from my E Tex home town.  UCA & OBU took 2 kids from Russellville High, this year, but usually Tech will pick up 1 or 2.  They got the Dardanelle QB to flip from Southern Illinois. 

beach bum

Quote from: Valleysports on February 10, 2015, 08:31:22 pm
I said I want Tech to turn things around!  I'm not from Russellville, I'd rather Tech recruit from my E Tex home town.   ;D

Yea they do have the real deal down there. I forgot you were from there. My dads moving to Sugar Land soon. I like it there. I like Tech athletics cause my little brother was the student manager for the basketball team a few years back when the were dominating the conference. The 1st round they hosted regionals against some school from Alabama. The crowd was a sellout at Tucker. That was great to see for a DII atmosphere. Nothing beats Harding where I have been twice. Tech will always be my #2 team behind Razorback basketball.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas