• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

District/Region/State Sites

Started by HorseFeathers, January 12, 2015, 06:12:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FreeMoney

Ballmember I agree totally and I will bet you that a bunch get turned away. Imagine the fan bases of Nemo Vista- Wonderview girls and Bradford- and say mt. Vernon boys. And 150-200 not getting a seat. Anarchy. But ya know Lance (idiot) Taylor and red headed guy at AAA office could care less. And a majority of the Supts on the board have absolutely no conscience.

Malde

Bradford's gym will hold around 950-1000. They have not hosted a regional since 1992. The boys should finish undefeated in conference with a win over Shirley last night. They have to play Rural and Timbo. Girls should finish second behind Westside. What's the difference in Wondervirw coming to Bradford and 4 years ago Bradford had to go to Scranton for a regional tournament? I mean no one wants to drive to play but it comes with the territory.

J.D.

I'm going to trust that they will find a way to get the job done.  Bradford is only doing what any school with common sense would do and that is to give their basketball teams the best possible chance of making the state tournament.   I can't blame them for doing everything they possibly can in order to help their kids.

Look, I completely understand the negativity on Bradford hosting Region 3.  It's going to be a challenge for that community to deal with the large fan bases of all Region 3 teams. Let's just wait and see how this all plays out. 

Good luck everyone.  I'll see ya at Bradford when the time comes. 

FreeMoney

There is no way Bradford seats 1000. And I totally understand them wanting to give their kids the best chance. Shirley's gym will hold 1500. And Morrilton/ Wonderview about 2500 so there you have it. It's plain as day politics at its best. I don't know why the AAA even exists. Someone help me here. This isn't about travel its about capacity lodging eating.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: FreeMoney on January 17, 2015, 09:41:55 pm
There is no way Bradford seats 1000. And I totally understand them wanting to give their kids the best chance. Shirley's gym will hold 1500. And Morrilton/ Wonderview about 2500 so there you have it. It's plain as day politics at its best. I don't know why the AAA even exists. Someone help me here. This isn't about travel its about capacity lodging eating.

It exists because....It kinda always has? It's been around since before 1920 I think...

And that Stat on seats in Morrilton's gym makes it just that much more impressive on last years district tournament...1A-5 Packed it to standing room only for the Nemo-Wonderview GIRLS game...How many areas can say that for a girls game??

FreeMoney

My numbers on Shirley and Morrilton are a little tongue in cheek jab at the previous posters comment on Bradford holding a 1000. But yes once again I agree on the AAA comment. Total waste of my tax dollars. Many rules and policies with very little enforcement or fairness

HorseFeathers

Quote from: FreeMoney on January 17, 2015, 10:57:19 pm
My numbers on Shirley and Morrilton are a little tongue in cheek jab at the previous posters comment on Bradford holding a 1000. But yes once again I agree on the AAA comment. Total waste of my tax dollars. Many rules and policies with very little enforcement or fairness

Haha...I missed the total by Shirley's gym...Never been there but been told it's kinda like Bradford's, shouldn't be hosting a regional tournament....

CincyGuyintheFort

That is very impressive packing the house likenthat for these playoff games. In my experiences so far this year here in Arkansas. My best experiences and atmospherew have been at 1a-2a-3a games. The small school ball here is pretty great.
But I just kinda hope for my viewing comfort and pleasure come playoff time that the sites I can attend in western Arkansas aren't that packed  ;)

BoxNOne

Quote from: FreeMoney on January 17, 2015, 10:57:19 pm

+1 on the very little enforcement.

Batman44

I think it's totally idiotic to hold a tournament anywhere that there's a possibility (from previous post) that they had to turn people away. Especially if you're a parent that has took off work, drove several hours, only to be denied entrance.

Batman44

To take it a bit forward, I know, shouldn't post this on this thread, but it may be time to put in a call to that BackboardShattered guy, and his Ninja skills.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Batman44 on January 18, 2015, 09:38:24 am
I think it's totally idiotic to hold a tournament anywhere that there's a possibility (from previous post) that they had to turn people away. Especially if you're a parent that has took off work, drove several hours, only to be denied entrance.

Show up before they unlock the doors...I've done that before..you get some rude looks from folks guarding the doors when you don't just go away..at least we did at Melbourne..

Batman44

I have done that myself, but that still don't solve the problem for parents who have kids playing. As a spectator, I can handle getting turned away, as a parent with a kid playing, I might go ballistic.

JP

I agree with the posts about capacity and holding a regional / state tournament.  There should be enough seating for fans to attend without sending anyone away.  At least, if there are fans in the gym that are not from the schools or communities playing, ask them to leave so that parents and fans of the teams playing can attend.  I know, I also try to see as many games as I can when going to these tournaments but I would give my seat up so that a parent or fan could watch their team play.  Of course, capacity requirements should at least limit this for most tournaments.  I've only been held out of one game due to capacity, and was able to get inside when my kids team started warming up.
As far as convenience with hotels and eats, you make of it what you will.  If you have a lousy time because of convenience, its on you.  Plan ahead and give yourself plenty of time.  I know at Bradly, I missed a few games I would have liked to have seen.  We stayed at Texarkana and left most nights in time to get back and eat with the team.  But I did not have a lousy time and thought the tournament was great, hosted by some great folks that done a great job and made everyone feel welcome. 
Its this way every year.  Some are happy and some are not.  If it makes you that upset, don't go. 

FreeMoney

It isn't the going/ not going convenience/ inconvenience travel / close to home that drives my issue with where or who hosts regional or state. My issue is with the AAA and them thumbing their noses at fans and parents. Not a single staff member or superintendent on that committe will lose one wink of sleep if a parent misses their child's last game ever because of gym capacity issues. Can you imagine the feeling if your child looked up in the bleachers and you weren't there because you couldn't get in. It's happened before and it will happen again. And Taylor and red headed guy will have some lame excuse like always

JP

Quote from: FreeMoney on January 18, 2015, 09:45:03 pm
It isn't the going/ not going convenience/ inconvenience travel / close to home that drives my issue with where or who hosts regional or state. My issue is with the AAA and them thumbing their noses at fans and parents. Not a single staff member or superintendent on that committe will lose one wink of sleep if a parent misses their child's last game ever because of gym capacity issues. Can you imagine the feeling if your child looked up in the bleachers and you weren't there because you couldn't get in. It's happened before and it will happen again. And Taylor and red headed guy will have some lame excuse like always

My comment wasn't directed at you or anyone else in particular.  Sorry if it came across that way.  I agree with minimum standards to hold a tournament so that parents and fans can get in. 
I like to sit back and watch a game, just to see a good game of basketball.  No preference in the outcome,  no stress, not sitting on the edge of your seat to see if my team makes the plays to win or if the other team does.  With that said, I would happily leave if I thought for 1 second that my attending the game would keep a parent from watching their kid play.
I'm happy for Kirby to get the State Tournament Bid.  If not for Nashville, no way Kirby could accommodate enough fans for a big tournament.  I know the best gyms are in the North and I understand that it is because of the money the gas industry generates for that area.  I could be wrong in this also.  I know they didn't get it from the State of Arkansas.  I don't think that teams should be eliminated from consideration for holding a state bid just because of where they are from or what kind of gym they have.  Kirby knows they do not have the gym for this and found a gym closer that will accommodate the state tournament and allow for many of their fans to attend that may not have if held elsewhere.
Being from the South, it just seems like fans want to get upset when they have to travel to the South for the State Tournament.  From some of the comments throughout this thread, reasons have been given as to why it should or should not be held in one place or another.  Seating capacity, quality of gym, no hotels, no places to eat, roads not straight enough, too far to travel.....  The tournament should be rotated throughout the state and I appreciate the folks at Nashville for allowing Kirby to use their facilities to host a tournament they otherwise would not be able to. 
When the tournament goes north, I'll be more than happy to go north.  I enjoy going to the northern part of the state.  I enjoy seeing new areas and learning about other areas of Arkansas.  I know it creates hardships for some when it is held a long way from our different communities.  By rotating to different areas of the state, some will be able to attend every few years that may not if held in one location.  I like the system of teams bidding and going to different areas to play.

HorseFeathers

Mississippi King

WhatsUrRingSize

Does anyone have a idea of  when regional times and dates and state times will  come out ?

bobcats

Quote from: HF on January 18, 2015, 06:30:55 pm

Show up before they unlock the doors...I've done that before..you get some rude looks from folks guarding the doors when you don't just go away..at least we did at Melbourne..

Was that at Melbournes's new gym?  That thing is huge.  I can't believe it could not hold a state crowd.

HorseFeathers

it wasn'u a problem the days i went there. the guy i with was just a nut and wanted to be there really  early.

RedWolf275

Quote from: WhatsUrRingSize on January 23, 2015, 02:02:13 pm
Does anyone have a idea of  when regional times and dates and state times will  come out ?

The brackets and times are on the AAA website.

ballmember

Like to see the state tourneys moved to different areas of the state; although I think westside greers ferry has best class a gym I understand why someone else got it; wsgf had it about 5 yrs ago;  so keep moving it to different places.

I am concerned when central Arkansas media folks want it centrally located; It aint for parents sake-it is for their own.  Want to kill high school basketball enthusiasm, start locating it in Little rock each year-that aint a safe place.  Games need to stay with the schools.   Been all over the state and it is good. 

ballmember

Anyone have list of past state tourney sites: remember Hillcrest;greers ferry;calico rock; magnolia and Bradley--all good-think calico was the most intense tourney.

HorseFeathers

January 24, 2015, 03:47:59 pm #124 Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 10:49:45 pm by HF
Quote from: ballmember on January 24, 2015, 02:14:27 pm
Anyone have list of past state tourney sites: remember Hillcrest;greers ferry;calico rock; magnolia and Bradley--all good-think calico was the most intense tourney.

2014--Jasper @ NACC
2013--Bradley
2012--Nevada Co @ SAU
2011--Calico Rock
2010--Hillcrest
2009--WSGF
2008--ICC @ NACC
2007--Shirley(?) @ Clinton
2006--Prescott
2005--Wickes
2004--Lynn(Now Hillcrest, gym was brand new that year)
2003--Guy
2002--Pine Bluff Convention Center
2001--NACC
2000--Norfork
1999---Don't Know
1998--Henderson State

ballmember

Thanks for the list;  I had forgot about Norfork having it.   In 2007 Shirley did host state at Clinton's new gym; every seat in it is great because you are looking right down on the players.   That was the year that Fayetteville Christian had the foreign students, and i believe 3 went on to play college ball, also last year that was allowed, after they won the state; think AAA passed some type rule.   the 2 best legitimate teams in the tourney was Guy Perkins and Shirley.   Shirley also hosted REgional that year.   Whatever minimum number is for regional seating Shirley meets that requirement.  I cant remember the number.   Have also taken out all permanent seats and are all portable/slide back  now.     I remember the year it was a Wickes. I was told some folks from Rural Special drove over to watch their team and could not get it.  I did not confirm that first hand.  I was at the game and it was full. 

ballmember

Steve Sullivan(media) has interesting article about moving all tournaments to central Arkansas.  I like what he does with high school sports, but that would hurt  the week long tournament that are now held by the schools.   Too many times people want it changed for their convenience.  The passion and interest at the Class A level would really go down, in my opinion.   I dont think Little Rock is equipped to provide the security needed for these events.   Too much crime now.   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ballmember on January 24, 2015, 05:38:49 pm
Thanks for the list;  I had forgot about Norfork having it.   In 2007 Shirley did host state at Clinton's new gym; every seat in it is great because you are looking right down on the players.   That was the year that Fayetteville Christian had the foreign students, and i believe 3 went on to play college ball, also last year that was allowed, after they won the state; think AAA passed some type rule.   the 2 best legitimate teams in the tourney was Guy Perkins and Shirley.   Shirley also hosted REgional that year.   Whatever minimum number is for regional seating Shirley meets that requirement.  I cant remember the number.   Have also taken out all permanent seats and are all portable/slide back  now.     I remember the year it was a Wickes. I was told some folks from Rural Special drove over to watch their team and could not get it.  I did not confirm that first hand.  I was at the game and it was full. 

Didn't Wickes only have seating on one side?

ballmember

You know, i think you are right; i had forgotten that, however i dont remember it being small.

. I was recently in Gainesville, mo, have good basketball program and old gym.  Very small, seats on one side from floor to ceiling, other side is a small stage in middle and places only for the benches.   It was full for regular season game, could not have any type tourneys there.   Have very good boys and girls programs.  I dont think they can agree on gym design, so one of the locals told me.   

WhatsUrRingSize

Quote from: RedWolf275 on January 24, 2015, 12:21:17 pm
Quote from: WhatsUrRingSize on January 23, 2015, 02:02:13 pm

The brackets and times are on the AAA website.
Is regional bracket on AAA website ?

RedWolf275

I don't see regional brackets on AAA website (they are too busy to mess with it I guess). If I remember correctly. 1A,2A and 3A regionals all start on Wednesday after districts. I believe they start at 4:00 on Wednesday,Thursday and Friday. District #1 and #4 seeds play Wed and #2 and #3 play on Thursday with semi Friday.

ballmember

The regional tournament at Bradford starts on February 24th and ends on 28th.  Looks like they rotate the regions that play each other in state tournament.  This year Region 1 will play Region 2 and Region 3 will play Region 4.   Region 3 would be those out of Bradford.   Last year i think 1 played 4 in state and region 2 played 3.  However, sometimes my memory fails me.     

HawgBall06

Quote from: HF on January 24, 2015, 08:38:28 pm
Quote from: ballmember on January 24, 2015, 05:38:49 pm

Didn't Wickes only have seating on one side?

Yep, Wickes only had seating on 1 side and I forget the exact number of seats it had, but I know for sure it was over the AAA requirement because they came down and counted the seats before the tourney.  It seemed small because of only seating on 1 side, but it actually was 1 of the bigger Class A gyms in SW Arkansas.  I don't know of anyone who was turned away from that tourney although there were times when fans had to wait while we asked some of the fans from previous games to leave allowing fans of the next games to get in. 

This was sort of a weird tourney because there were 4 schools within 42 miles of the site that had 6 teams in the tourney.  So it was extremely well attended locally.  According to the AAA this was the highest attendance tourney ever up to that time. 

ballmember

HawgBall06, thanks for that information.  Rural Special boys had a good team that year but i cant remember who beat them.  Will try and find out this week, also try to get someone out there to tell me the person/persons who got turned away; it has always been, she said, he said deal.   I was at the Conway Blytheville high school game held at UCA and they did lock the doors.  Super large crowd.  Conway won. 

HawgBall06

Quote from: ballmember on January 25, 2015, 04:39:42 pm
HawgBall06, thanks for that information.  Rural Special boys had a good team that year but i cant remember who beat them.  Will try and find out this week, also try to get someone out there to tell me the person/persons who got turned away; it has always been, she said, he said deal.   I was at the Conway Blytheville high school game held at UCA and they did lock the doors.  Super large crowd.  Conway won.

The game that I thought you might have been talking about getting locked out was the Rural Special/Wickes girls semi-final.  We went well over the gym's limit for that one, but we kept the doors open and let everyone that wanted to, go in.  I don't remember any of the Rural Special boys' games being that crowded, but it has been a few years and I might be forgetting something. 

HorseFeathers

added District sites to the opening post...

HorseFeathers

Quote from: HawgBall06 on January 25, 2015, 07:19:45 pm

The game that I thought you might have been talking about getting locked out was the Rural Special/Wickes girls semi-final.  We went well over the gym's limit for that one, but we kept the doors open and let everyone that wanted to, go in.  I don't remember any of the Rural Special boys' games being that crowded, but it has been a few years and I might be forgetting something. 

Rural Special boys played in the semi-finals as well..Both played the early games that weekend, so I could see there being a lot of folks from the Fox area there, and possibly getting locked out of a smallish gym(don't think they met attendance requirements the last few years did they?)

ballmember

HF, are you talking about Rural Special under 350-yes; they are a part of Mountain View school district as well as Timbo is.  they both still have their own campus, teams, etc.   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ballmember on January 27, 2015, 09:35:35 pm
HF, are you talking about Rural Special under 350-yes; they are a part of Mountain View school district as well as Timbo is.  they both still have their own campus, teams, etc.   

I know they are....I was referring to you mentioning that folks from Rural Special getting locked out of the gym. I could see the possibility of a ton of folks from Fox(Where Rural Special is at)/stone county area would have shown up since both RS teams played in the early games that night....anyway....
Judging by pictures, I don't think we have that problem this year

ballmember

Rural Special had a great following during those days, i think about everyone in that community went. I was there, did not know about people being locked out that day, and got it 3rd hand; still dont know if that happened, until i find the one that admits it was them.   

HawgBall06

Quote from: HF on January 27, 2015, 07:05:11 pm

Rural Special boys played in the semi-finals as well..Both played the early games that weekend, so I could see there being a lot of folks from the Fox area there, and possibly getting locked out of a smallish gym(don't think they met attendance requirements the last few years did they?)

As far as I know there was not a single person turned away.  Some had to wait 20-30 minutes to get in, but by the start of the games everyone that wanted in was in the gym.  As for attendance I am not certain which you mean.  If you are talking about the 350 enrollment rule, then Wickes was never close to that, it was Van-Cove that was bordering on the edge.  If you are talking about minimum seating for tourneys since then, Wickes never bid on another 1 until the new Cossatot River district did this year. 

ballmember

Regional brackets are on the AAA website with dates and times.  Regonal at Bradford and Lynn will not be too far apart.   

HorseFeathers

Quote from: HawgBall06 on January 28, 2015, 01:41:39 pm
Quote from: HF on January 27, 2015, 07:05:11 pm

As far as I know there was not a single person turned away.  Some had to wait 20-30 minutes to get in, but by the start of the games everyone that wanted in was in the gym.  As for attendance I am not certain which you mean.  If you are talking about the 350 enrollment rule, then Wickes was never close to that, it was Van-Cove that was bordering on the edge.  If you are talking about minimum seating for tourneys since then, Wickes never bid on another 1 until the new Cossatot River district did this year. 

I meant Minimum seating....Was assuming since seating was only on one side that the 1200 mark would be out of their reach...that would be a massive gym if they could seat 1200....

HawgBall06

The seating was over 1,200 but I can't remember the exact number, I believe it was close to 1,326 or 1,376 before they counted any extra seating or standing room.  True that the seating is only on 1 side, but it goes all the way to the ceiling. 

HorseFeathers

Quote from: HawgBall06 on January 28, 2015, 07:37:04 pm
The seating was over 1,200 but I can't remember the exact number, I believe it was close to 1,326 or 1,376 before they counted any extra seating or standing room.  True that the seating is only on 1 side, but it goes all the way to the ceiling. 

That's massive....

HawgBall06

Quote from: HF on January 28, 2015, 07:43:46 pm
Quote from: HawgBall06 on January 28, 2015, 07:37:04 pm

That's massive....

Yep, we have turned it into an indoor baseball/softball facility.

~WPS~

I found this picture of Scrapper Arena. It's one of the better ones I've seen that actually shows the whole place. Looking forward to hosting the 1A tournament in Nashville and getting to watch some really good basketball.

MomaLion

Quote from: HF on January 18, 2015, 06:30:55 pm
That's exactly what I do but some parents may not have that option if they have to work. I take off during tourneys but lots can't. I tend to be superstitious and like to sit in the exact same spot during each game of a tourney lol so I get there early :)

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas