• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

District/Region/State Sites

Started by HorseFeathers, January 12, 2015, 06:12:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HorseFeathers

January 12, 2015, 06:12:49 pm Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 08:39:27 pm by HF
1A-1W--Scranton
1A-1E--St Joe @ NAC
1A-2N--ICC
1A-2S--Timbo
1A-3---Ridgefield Christian
1A-5---Wonderview
1A-7N
1A-7S--Bradley

Region 1: Scranton
Region 2: Hillcrest
Region 3: Bradford
Region 4: Emerson

State: Kirby @ Nashville

J.D.

Quote from: HF on January 12, 2015, 06:12:49 pm
Region 2: Armorel, Izard County, Hillcrest
Region 3: Bradford, Shirley, West Side Greers Ferry, Wonderview @ Morrilton
Region 4: Acorn, Emerson

State: Izard County, Kirby @ Nashville, West Side Greers Ferry

Interesting

HorseFeathers

Quote from: J.D. on January 12, 2015, 08:11:04 pm
Quote from: HF on January 12, 2015, 06:12:49 pm
Region 2: Armorel, Izard County, Hillcrest
Region 3: Bradford, Shirley, West Side Greers Ferry, Wonderview @ Morrilton
Region 4: Acorn, Emerson

State: Izard County, Kirby @ Nashville, West Side Greers Ferry

Interesting

First thing I thought when I seen that was...Well I know where state will be since Nashville built a new gym this past year...

epotts

I think it will go to the following places:

Region 2: Armorel- that half of the region has not had it in a long time
Region 3: Greers Ferry West Side

Silky Johnson

Armorel is not even close to a decent sized gym. I don't think anyone in region 2 would want it there besides Armorel.

WhatsUrRingSize

Quote from: epotts on January 13, 2015, 01:52:16 pm
I think it will go to the following places:

Region 2: Armorel- that half of the region has not had it in a long time
Region 3: Greers Ferry West Side

Do you think Kirby can get State over King Walker @ ICC

ballmember

I know convenience is of no concern ,  but  it would be interesting to see how many Class A schools are in southern arkansas-not many i bet,  versus Class A schools in northern arkansas.  Also, should be a rule to have Class A tourney in a Class A gym in a Class A town.   Same with all other classifications.   I like to see the school represented in its own community, and if they want a bigger gym than the community gets together and votes millage to have one built or remodeled to equal the correct number of seats.  Both Greers Ferry Westside and ICC did this: Westside built a new one -the best Class A gym in the state-opinion of most.   And ICC remodeled theirs.   I have been to a lot of games at both places, and they do very well and know how to put on a tournament.  Westside has had regionals and a state; and ICC has had regionals.
I always fear that they will try and hold it in Pine Bluff again!!!!!!!

blythevilleguy

Quote from: Silky Johnson on January 13, 2015, 02:44:43 pm
Armorel is not even close to a decent sized gym. I don't think anyone in region 2 would want it there besides Armorel.
I was told that Bay asked Armorel to bid on it since they won't let them have it.

Scrapper14

Kirby should get the bid Nashvilles gym is great and I've played In it! Plenty of room to hold a crowd and hotels in Nashville Murfeesburro Prescott ashdown dequeen hope... No reason it should not win especially with most of the state tournaments usually going up north so I believe it should go to Kirby at Nashville. The facility is amazing you won't be disappointed and it will be a great experience for kids from small schools to play In a big time gym

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Scrapper14 on January 13, 2015, 09:38:51 pm
Kirby should get the bid Nashvilles gym is great and I've played In it! Plenty of room to hold a crowd and hotels in Nashville Murfeesburro Prescott ashdown dequeen hope... No reason it should not win especially with most of the state tournaments usually going up north so I believe it should go to Kirby at Nashville. The facility is amazing you won't be disappointed and it will be a great experience for kids from small schools to play In a big time gym

South Arkansas has hosted 2 of the last 3 1A state tournaments...The last 2A State Tournament, 3A in 2012, 4A, in 2012

South Arkansas has less schools than North Arkansas...but giving Kirby the state tournament because most tournaments go north, would mean that 3 out of the last 4 tournaments would have been in South Arkansas....Hmmm

BTW I fully expect Kirby to win this one...the AAA is a huge fan of new gyms...

Scrapper14

I agree with you and it would be 3 out of 4 for the south but generally speaking the 1a usually goes up north I just think it would make the best basketball state tournament even better if it was located at Scrapper arena and Kirby has never hosted a state tourney so they have that on there side as well

BoxNOne

How come Nashville didn't go after their own state tourney?

ballmember

I don't think convenience and motels have anything to do with the decisions.  Remember Bradley!!!

Greers Ferry Westside has the best Class a gym in the state;  best location for all schools; plenty motels, etc.   However, I think it should go to ICC this year-haven't had one there and they are using their own gym in their own community.    Plus the draw-money-will be better than Nashville.

Scrapper14

I'm not real sure as to why they didn't bid on 4a I have heard they want it next year I'm not sure for the reasoning behind that though

HawgBall06

Quote from: Scrapper14 on January 14, 2015, 09:04:51 am
I'm not real sure as to why they didn't bid on 4a I have heard they want it next year I'm not sure for the reasoning behind that though

they felt like they had a better chance of being really good next year than they did this year. 

ballmember

I would love to see the receipts for the gate for the last 5 state tourneys.  I bet Calico Rock is right up at the top.   Bradley at the bottom and that mess at Magnolia close to last.  I like the town of Magnolia,  gym is not good size.   Good school and should build or remodel before they host high school stuff; again the school that hosted should done so in their own gym.   If the AAA is about money they will do ICC or Greers Ferry Westside.   Lots more basketball fans in that direction.   No slam on Kirby because their fans follow their teams, however just not enough folks and many from north Arkansas will not go to Nashville.    New gyms are nice however atmosphere is important.  Hillcrest and Calico Rock had the best atmospheres of any state tourneys I have been to in a while.  Greers Ferry seemed to have the most people.   I liked Bradley's gym but  a big mistake to have the tourney there, however dont blame people at Bradley they put their money where their mouth is and had it built.     

WhatsUrRingSize

Quote from: ballmember on January 14, 2015, 11:19:31 am
I would love to see the receipts for the gate for the last 5 state tourneys.  I bet Calico Rock is right up at the top.   Bradley at the bottom and that mess at Magnolia close to last.  I like the town of Magnolia,  gym is not good size.   Good school and should build or remodel before they host high school stuff; again the school that hosted should done so in their own gym.   If the AAA is about money they will do ICC or Greers Ferry Westside.   Lots more basketball fans in that direction.   No slam on Kirby because their fans follow their teams, however just not enough folks and many from north Arkansas will not go to Nashville.    New gyms are nice however atmosphere is important.  Hillcrest and Calico Rock had the best atmospheres of any state tourneys I have been to in a while.  Greers Ferry seemed to have the most people.   I liked Bradley's gym but  a big mistake to have the tourney there, however dont blame people at Bradley they put their money where their mouth is and had it built.     
+1 agree

#1kirbytrojanfan

It would be a blessing for Kirby to host the State. In the last 8 years the North has held 6 out of the 8 tournaments. In the last 8 years Kirby has brought both teams to the state tournament (other than one year one team didn't) It would be nice for parents and family members of the southern teams to be able to watch games also. It is very costly to spend a week in a motel for all but even when the state was held south it was held VERY SOUTH. Still a lot of travel and expense.

ballmember

I like the way the Kirby fans travel and really enjoy watching their teams play ball.  Yes it is very expensive and is expensive for everyone that goes any distance, unfortunate many of our rural communities are disappearing, forcing ball fans to travel further.   Always hope we have Class A teams however our wonderful elected officials never seem for that.   Hutchinson mentioned keeping schools under 350 but I am sorry that i do not believe what any of them say, once elected.   Superintendents also seem to roll with the flow for the most part.  Understand they have a job and cant cause too much problems.     

smalltowngirl

Quote from: ballmember on January 14, 2015, 08:45:10 am
I don't think convenience and motels have anything to do with the decisions.  Remember Bradley!!!

Greers Ferry Westside has the best Class a gym in the state;  best location for all schools; plenty motels, etc.   However, I think it should go to ICC this year-haven't had one there and they are using their own gym in their own community.    Plus the draw-money-will be better than Nashville.

There's a community at ICC??  Its a school in the middle of no where!  No different than what Bradley was!  :)

smalltowngirl

Quote from: smalltowngirl on January 14, 2015, 02:59:57 pm
Quote from: ballmember on January 14, 2015, 08:45:10 am

There's a community at ICC??  Its a school in the middle of no where!  No different than what Bradley was!  :)

I take that back...Bradley at least had a couple gas stations! 

ballmember

ICC is much different than Bradley; about 46 class a schools and many more of them closer to ICC than Bradley or Nashville.  When ICC has a tournament, at least the ones i have witnessed, lots of fans at the games.  Motels much closer to ICC than Bradley. 

HorseFeathers

you act like nobody showed up at bradly. i was there opening night, and it was packed from the time they opened the doors until the final buzzer that night. icc is also on one of the most crooked hiways in the state, and where are these near by hotels? oxford? violet hill? just admit that you want state to be there for your convenience.

smalltowngirl

Quote from: HF on January 14, 2015, 05:33:03 pm
you act like nobody showed up at bradly. i was there opening night, and it was packed from the time they opened the doors until the final buzzer that night. icc is also on one of the most crooked hiways in the state, and where are these near by hotels? oxford? violet hill? just admit that you want state to be there for your convenience.

Agree totally...Bradley was packed from the first tip off.  ICC is one of the most curvy roads and truly in the middle of no where.  There isn't a gas station and absolutely no where to eat within 45 mins to a hour away.  State at NAC last year was great...was hoping someone up there would bid again.  Lots of seating, easy to get to, restaurants and hotels all around. 

ballmember

Greers Ferry Westside would be the place for my convenience as well as most people in Class A.  I go to the games regardless where they are.  ICC has not had a state tourney,  not worried about Nashville since they aint class A.  Wish Kirby  could have one at their place.   Again, would like for the AAA to release gate receipts for the past 6 tournaments.   

PuddlePirate12

I don't think it really matters where the state tournament is held. It's going to be a full house for every game no matter what. I mean there was ice on the roads last year and people still came from all over. Emerson was one of the farthest away and they still had a lot of fans. There would've been more if it had been closer obviously. It would be nice if it could be held in little rock every year so it would be pretty fair for everyone but that wouldn't be as fun or worthwhile. The best option I can see is for it to be in the north one year, central arkansas next, and south arkansas next and just rotate it that way

HorseFeathers

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on January 14, 2015, 07:19:46 pm
I don't think it really matters where the state tournament is held. It's going to be a full house for every game no matter what. I mean there was ice on the roads last year and people still came from all over. Emerson was one of the farthest away and they still had a lot of fans. There would've been more if it had been closer obviously. It would be nice if it could be held in little rock every year so it would be pretty fair for everyone but that wouldn't be as fun or worthwhile. The best option I can see is for it to be in the north one year, central arkansas next, and south arkansas next and just rotate it that way

Completely agree, just got irritated with the ICC is a much better than a previous host(Bradley) argument...Rotate it amongst the 4 regions and go from there if you want to be "fair' about the rotation. Guessing last year upset some folks since Jasper/Kingston hosted the tournament at one of the nicest venues in North Arkansas, instead of in their tiny gyms....

We could go back to how it used to be...Guy hosted state in 2003, and We all know how that would go these days...would be a heck of an atmosphere though, especially when the fights to get into the gym break out :D

ballmember

HF, be sure and tell the superintendents that it cant be on crooked roads!!!   

oldtimer

Does anyone know when the AAA open the bids?

PuddlePirate12

Kids would rather play on the big nice college courts in the big gyms than a little 50 year old gym that seats 800. Last year was nice. The only other ones I've been to were the one at SAU and the one at Bradley because they were close by. The atmosphere at them wasn't as great to me but it was still nice. I think at SAU I remember watching Sacred Hearts and somebody play.. Maybe Bay? Or maybe Bay played mammoth springs.. Either way the gym wasn't very full considering winner was in the finals.. It may have been location. But I still think it should re rotated. Region to region is a great idea but it's starting to seem like those over the AAA aren't the type to make great choices

HawgBall06

When Wickes hosted the state tourney (in 2005 I believe) according to the AAA they set the record as of that time for the state tourney, so the "their won't be as much attendance if it is in the Southern part of the state" is a load of BS.

PuddlePirate12

True fans are going to go watch their teams no matter where the tournament is held. It could be in the south 25 years in a row and people from the north would still show up. Of course a tournament in the north may draw more fans.. Because there are more small schools in the northern portion of the state. There's 4 regions and only one is in the south. And teams like Acorn are almost even with Little Rock. Teams that don't make the tournament aren't going to drive 5-6 hours to watch the games in the south but they'll drive 2-3.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ballmember on January 14, 2015, 08:07:12 pm
HF, be sure and tell the superintendents that it cant be on crooked roads!!!   

after you tried to out right lie about attendance at Bradley that's the best you can come back with?? You're acting like ICC is the most convenient location of the 3...it's not. It's 45 minutes to the nearest town of size(mountain home, Batesville, Mountain View), just like it was with Bradley(will keep going with them since you keyed on them as to why the south shouldn't host).

As for myself, they could have it on the moon, I'd try to find a way to make it there...That's just me though...I Do hope that wonderview gets region 3 though..

JP

Quote from: PuddlePirate12 on January 14, 2015, 08:48:27 pm
Kids would rather play on the big nice college courts in the big gyms than a little 50 year old gym that seats 800. Last year was nice. The only other ones I've been to were the one at SAU and the one at Bradley because they were close by. The atmosphere at them wasn't as great to me but it was still nice. I think at SAU I remember watching Sacred Hearts and somebody play.. Maybe Bay? Or maybe Bay played mammoth springs.. Either way the gym wasn't very full considering winner was in the finals.. It may have been location. But I still think it should re rotated. Region to region is a great idea but it's starting to seem like those over the AAA aren't the type to make great choices

I agree with most of what you say.  My kid would play on a dirt floor with peach baskets for goals.  I agree that she would prefer to play in nicer gyms with good seating, good heating / cooling, nice floors, and a shooters rim.  My point is that I really don't think the kids mind where we play.  Its us adults who have the controversy. 
I like the idea of rotating the state tournament.  I enjoy travelling to other parts of the state.  Most of my time is spent watching teams I've only read about on fearless but we do try to take in some of the sights and history of the area we travel to.
I don't really care who gets the state bid, I plan to be there.

PuddlePirate12

I would think a high school kid playing all their life in 1a where they play in tiny old gyms (no offense, Emerson still has one) would like to play on a college court once. 98% of the kids will not play at the next level and in the state tournament may be many kids only chance to play on a nice court. I mean there are many 1a courts far better than SAUs, including Emerson, but if I was a kid id want to play on the big stage. Would you rather play in Madison Square Garden or a 1a gym. I know that's not what it is here but to a lot of kids that gym last year was the big stage just because it was a very nice gym. Not that it makes a difference. If the state tournament was on a court of broken glass kids would still play. But if the majority had a choice they would wanna play on a big nice court. Which I think atleast 2 of the 3 bids this year are for really nice courts. Not sure about ICC. I just know if I was a kid id wanna play on a nice court in a big arena. How about the razorbacks home court? Lol not going to happen but the kids would love it

eamo8911

Quote from: smalltowngirl on January 14, 2015, 06:17:25 pm

Agree totally...Bradley was packed from the first tip off.  ICC is one of the most curvy roads and truly in the middle of no where.  There isn't a gas station and absolutely no where to eat within 45 mins to a hour away.  State at NAC last year was great...was hoping someone up there would bid again.  Lots of seating, easy to get to, restaurants and hotels all around.

10 minutes to Melbourne, 15-20 to Salem and Calico, 25 to Ash Flat.  Yeah, not absolutely nothing.  No one seemed to complain much when Calico hosted 1A and Melbourne hosted 2A.  WSGF isn't any better.  Heber and Clinton are both about 25 minutes away.  Convenience goes to Nashville. 

Scrapper14

Convenience goes to Nashville and nicest gym goes to Nashville out of the bids if Nashville isn't hosting something is wrong with AAA in my opinion

PuddlePirate12

Quote from: Scrapper14 on January 14, 2015, 11:03:00 pm
Convenience goes to Nashville and nicest gym goes to Nashville out of the bids if Nashville isn't hosting something is wrong with AAA in my opinion

Says the scrapper! Lol.. Nah idk they probably do have the nicest but I figure ICC says they have the nicest too

SirSwish

HawgBall06

Quote from: eamo8911 on January 14, 2015, 10:56:42 pm
Quote from: smalltowngirl on January 14, 2015, 06:17:25 pm

10 minutes to Melbourne, 15-20 to Salem and Calico, 25 to Ash Flat.  Yeah, not absolutely nothing.  No one seemed to complain much when Calico hosted 1A and Melbourne hosted 2A.  WSGF isn't any better.  Heber and Clinton are both about 25 minutes away.  Convenience goes to Nashville.

There were tons of complaints about the drive to Calico & Melbourne, we went to both.  The towns, facilities & people were great, but a 6 hours drive 1 way was a real bummer.

smalltowngirl

While I agree those aren't the ideal locations...as least they had gas stations and places to grab a bite to eat!  I've never understood why there doesn't have to be a hotel and restaurants within a certain distance from the school. 

Scrapper14

I am a Scrapper haha but our facility is sweet the only gym I played in that was nicer was lonokes my senior year

ballmember

HF, I think you are losing your cool; this is just a basketball board-with one persons opinion as important as the next-I do not appreciate being accused of lying; I do not mind  if u do not agree with my opinion-if you want to continue and get personal, I will be happy to visit with you. 

CRHS4LIFE

Region 4 Softball Taylor
Region 3 Softball SS BB
Region 2 Softball Armorel
Region 1 Softball Lead Hill @ Harrison Parks
State Softball at Armorel
Region 4 Baseball Taylor
Region 3 Baseball SS BB
Region 2 Baseball  Armorel
Region 1 Baseball Lead Hill @ Harrison Parks
State Baseball at Taylor

LHHC

^ looks like HF just called out!   Btw HF, Melbourne is about 7 miles from brockwell and it has 8 or 9 good places to eat, so I don't about this 45 mile stuff

CRHS4LIFE

Brief intermission then return to announce sites for basketball, wrestling, swimming and diving, and bowling.

J.D.

It's not nice to just skip 1A like they did lol. 

CRHS4LIFE

The Class A State Basketball Tournament will be hosted by Kirby at Nashville

Armorel hosting the Regional Baseball, Softball, and State Softball tournament probably gave up their likelihood of hosting the Region 2 Basketball tournament.

CRHS4LIFE

Especially since State didn't go to ICC, they will most likely be hosting Region 2.

J.D.

Happy for Kirby.  Glad they got it. 

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas