• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Teams you miss seeing because the school is closed

Started by lorettalynn, October 23, 2014, 03:14:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

BoxNOne

Quote from: bscinar on November 08, 2014, 12:26:37 am
Weiner Cardinals and Black Rock Zebras - two schools shut down by a made up number.....

It truly is sad to see what that sorry excuse for a law has done to small town Arkansas.

HorseFeathers

wish it was possible for more of these small 1a schools to go the route that the ozark mountain school district, jasper-kingston-oark, and emerson-bradley-taylor were able to go

hawgball11

BoxNOne

I drove thru Cotton Plant the other day and the school is still there and totally boarded up. Anyone know what their mascot was?

ogar_hog

Quote from: BoxNOne on November 10, 2014, 09:33:14 am
I drove thru Cotton Plant the other day and the school is still there and totally boarded up. Anyone know what their mascot was?

If memory serves me correctly they were the bulldogs.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ogar_hog on November 10, 2014, 01:25:44 pm
Quote from: BoxNOne on November 10, 2014, 09:33:14 am

If memory serves me correctly they were the bulldogs.

You are correct :D

FreeMoney

Nobody better than Wabbaseka. Tough disciplined delta basketball teams.

athletic supporter

Quote from: FreeMoney on November 11, 2014, 09:11:51 pm
Nobody better than Wabbaseka. Tough disciplined delta basketball teams.

Ernie Murry...the pride of Wabbaseka

yesteryearman

Remember the old gym at Magnolia Walker High School?  The court was very small.  In fact, when you had the ball in the front court, the backcourt line was the free throw line on the other end.  There were no out of bounds lines.  When you hit the wall that surrounded the court you were out of bounds.  I recall that Magnolia Walker played Okolona there the year that Ricky Norton was a senior.  I think he scored 50 or 60 points and Walker won by a point or two.  Talk about a home court advantage.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: yesteryearman on November 12, 2014, 09:04:58 pm
Remember the old gym at Magnolia Walker High School?  The court was very small.  In fact, when you had the ball in the front court, the backcourt line was the free throw line on the other end.  There were no out of bounds lines.  When you hit the wall that surrounded the court you were out of bounds.  I recall that Magnolia Walker played Okolona there the year that Ricky Norton was a senior.  I think he scored 50 or 60 points and Walker won by a point or two.  Talk about a home court advantage.

WOW lol...I've heard stories about Scotland up here(Something like 40 point swings in between playing them at their place, and them coming to your place) and their gym wasn't regulation either....but that's TINY..lol

nightowl

Quote from: birddawg1986 on November 07, 2014, 10:19:20 am
Turrell, Parkin, Crawfordsville. Back in the late 80s all the way until they closed the door these teams along with EPC, Marked Tree, Cross Co was one of the best basketball conferences around. I can remember when  they had regional at MT, and Crawfordsville # 4 seed beat top seed BIC when Bill Taylor son was a 10th grader. Same night Riverside (Maybe Buster best team got whooped by Turrell, and which MT & Turrell advanced. I seen the Parkdale  team also. We played them in a Christmas tournement back in 85 at Monticello (Boll Weevil Classic) and lost in the semifinals in OT. They were really good but lost to 2A state champ Dermott with Matt Matthews. We got 3rd place by smashing Wilmar.
yes I remember that season while Coach Murry take a bunch of spuds and beat coach Taylor and since then have beaten him in every big game

XFalkonz

Gilham, Winthrop, hatfield.....the old 7B west of the 80's

sideliner

The mid-90s Van-Cove girls were hands down, the best girls basketball team I have ever seen. I haven't seen any team that could touch them before then or since.
Amity Rams, Bright Star, Saratoga Bulldogs (Jason McDonald and Shelby Green,) Lockesburg Blue Darters (Guy Basilier -sp-,) Delight Bulldogs, definitely Stephens...

Stupid law!!

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Quote from: sideliner on November 22, 2014, 07:56:05 pm
The mid-90s Van-Cove girls were hands down, the best girls basketball team I have ever seen. I haven't seen any team that could touch them before then or since.
Amity Rams, Bright Star, Saratoga Bulldogs (Jason McDonald and Shelby Green,) Lockesburg Blue Darters (Guy Basilier -sp-,) Delight Bulldogs, definitely Stephens...

Stupid law!!

Van-Cove girls had several future college players.  I know that Jamie Scheppmamn played at Louisiana Tech before transferring to OBU and Vivi Dees played at OBU.  Seems like Gretchen Tullis played somewhere (Henderson maybe?) and Sarah Hudson may have as well.  There may have been one other really good player in that starting lineup.  Pretty impressive for a class B school!  I got to see them play Guy-Perkins in what was probably the most packed gym I've ever seen in my life when Van-Cove hosted the state tournament...1996 maybe?

wynnewyatt

I enjoy going to the old gyms when I travel past one. I enjoy the stories you guys tell of. Would there happen to be a book out there with some of this history or web page. If not you guys need get together and start one. That would be really good read.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: wynnewyatt on November 25, 2014, 12:22:17 pm
I enjoy going to the old gyms when I travel past one. I enjoy the stories you guys tell of. Would there happen to be a book out there with some of this history or web page. If not you guys need get together and start one. That would be really good read.

I've considered it, maybe something with pictures of the old gyms/current gyms of the small schools...But the leg work would be crazy though. Unless some folks could help out....Guy on the soccer board on here has put together something of a wiki on the history of soccer in the state, would be pretty cool to put something together like that for basketball in the small schools..

HorseFeathers

Quote from: lorettalynn on November 25, 2014, 06:38:04 pm
I forgot allred

The Hornets! I got one of their last senior class hoodies that I wear sometimes....Had someone come up to me at ATU with the expression of Oh my god you know where Alread Arkansas is....

lorettalynn

the last game  I went at allred I was three sheets in the wind

Hooper80

Mt Pleasant Bluebirds baby! Best long range shooter I ever saw.
Kevin Johnson
No 3 point line when he played. Walked into a health club at the age of 35 and made 53 straight 3's. Had NOT been playing. Ask Kermit Blevins (no slouch himself!) he threw them back to him.
If you never saw him shoot you indeed missed a treat. His range was beyond belief!
He played 79-82. Had five teams in Izard county then. Oxford Cats, Violet Hill Coyotes, Calico Rock Pirates, Melbourne Bearkatz and the Bluebirds. Are were class B in early 80's

hsindian

I remember hating the rubber court at oak ridge central. Didn't play them often because we were a  different conferenc. The old 3-B.

AVGBBFAN

Harrisburg Central - the gym was the cafeteria - played on tile floors, goals hung from the ceiling and the tables and chairs were lined up against the walls.

hsindian

Quote from: AVGBBFAN on December 05, 2014, 10:36:24 pm
Harrisburg Central - the gym was the cafeteria - played on tile floors, goals hung from the ceiling and the tables and chairs were lined up against the walls.
I remember playing one game there my 7th grade year. I think they consolidated after that year, 85-86. If I remember right our conference lost 3 schools that year, missco, tyronza, and harrisburg central.

WattsOzark

Quote from: lorettalynn on November 25, 2014, 07:13:12 pm
the last game  I went at allred I was three sheets in the wind
Were you officiating?  ;D

sideliner

Quote from: Coach DePriest, Harrison on November 25, 2014, 09:59:07 am
Quote from: sideliner on November 22, 2014, 07:56:05 pm

Stupid law!!

Van-Cove girls had several future college players.  I know that Jamie Scheppmamn played at Louisiana Tech before transferring to OBU and Vivi Dees played at OBU.  Seems like Gretchen Tullis played somewhere (Henderson maybe?) and Sarah Hudson may have as well.  There may have been one other really good player in that starting lineup.  Pretty impressive for a class B school!  I got to see them play Guy-Perkins in what was probably the most packed gym I've ever seen in my life when Van-Cove hosted the state tournament...1996 maybe?

Yes!! They were really something to see. I know they won state in 96 and then I think again in 97. That whole team was ridiculously talented. And they were AWFUL to play against! LOL! They were just so much better than everyone, it was a blood bath.

1-Adam-12

Two schools in two different areas.

When I lived at Stuttgart we played at St. Charles once. Not much out of bounds space. Our jr. high also played Plum Bayou and Redfield.

Also, Booneville played FS Metro Christian a few times.  Cafeteria floor doubled as the court. You could not legally shoot a three straight from the side--you'd be out of bounds. I remember the jr. boys played a 4-OT game there.

Batman44

Dalton, Greenway, Knobel, Egypt, Cord-Charlotte, Ravenden Springs, Vandale, Clover Bend, with the one and only Hoss Jones, and Newark, to name a few. Some may have already been named.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Batman44 on January 21, 2015, 08:11:24 pm
Dalton, Greenway, Knobel, Egypt, Cord-Charlotte, Ravenden Springs, Vandale, Clover Bend, with the one and only Hoss Jones, and Newark, to name a few. Some may have already been named.

Was Newark really the Fightin' Kangaroos?

1-Adam-12

Yes sir! I saw a seat cushion in the Lavaca trophy case from when Newark hosted state and the Arrows went, can't remember what year but a kangaroo was on it.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on January 21, 2015, 08:38:35 pm
Yes sir! I saw a seat cushion in the Lavaca trophy case from when Newark hosted state and the Arrows went, can't remember what year but a kangaroo was on it.

They should have kept it when they consolidated with Cord-Charlotte...The Cedar Ridge Kangaroos haha...

Turd Ferguson

dawgs

Swifton, Weiner, Delaplaine, Grubbs, Cord-Charlotte, Biggers Reyno,

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas