• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

WEIGHTLIFTING FOR HIGH SCHOOL ATHLETES

Started by powerlifter90, July 11, 2010, 11:14:43 am

Previous topic - Next topic

powerlifter90

I don't know what happened to the other two threads on this subject, if we did anything wrong by posting useful information I wish the mod that deleted it would let me know so it doesn't happen again.
But, if anyone wants some help with weight training or advice on the same, please PM me and I'll help any way I can.  There are way too many "old wives tales" about the subject and kids doing their training incorrectly is very harmful and even dangerous.  I know of several web sites that have numerous articles on athletes and the training they need for their particular sport.  There are also many videos on you tube showing the correct way of doing things (just be careful there are also vids showing the wrong way too). 
Like I said I'm more than happy to help anyone, mods if we or I did something against FF policies please tell me, hopefully this isn't a personal matter.

DARK HORSE

What is the best training method and regimen for a kid to increase his bench press max and # of reps @ a given weight?

Big Fro

The best way to increase a bench, squat, deadlift max is to lift very heavy and keep the reps low. 5 sets of 5, 4 sets @ 8,6,4,2 reps etc (increase weight as the reps decrease). Over 8 or 10 reps strength is somewhat neglected for muscular endurance.

powerlifter90

Quote from: Big Fro on July 21, 2010, 07:52:21 am
The best way to increase a bench, squat, deadlift max is to lift very heavy and keep the reps low. 5 sets of 5, 4 sets @ 8,6,4,2 reps etc (increase weight as the reps decrease). Over 8 or 10 reps strength is somewhat neglected for muscular endurance.

actually..............we do 5 sets of 5 for our "assistance" work on dynamic effort day.  On Max effort day here is an example of my bench routine.  bar-10, 135-8, 185-6, 225-4, 275-2, 315-2, 335-2, 355-2 add boards and/or bands and do a couple more doubles than do singles until failure.  This is NOT failure for a full all the way to the chest rep unless we are doing deloads with the bands from the top of a powerrack.  Doing too many "full range" reps at 90% or above greatly increases the chances of 1. tearing a pec, or 2. damaging the delt-pec tie-in.  This type of training (max effort) basically trains your Central Nervous System (CNS) to be able to handle heavier weights, handle heavier weight-get stronger.  After this I/we do an assistance exercise such as floor presses, pin presses (lock outs), etc.  we do 5 sets of 3 with the 3 rep being a son-of-a-gun to complete.  After that we do two upper back exercises (ie: prone rows, grappler, lat pull downs, supported rows, DB pullovers, or sled rows.
That is our MAX EFFORT bench day which is on Monday, on Thursday we bench again only this is our DYNAMIC EFFORT day which is geared more for explosive movements using sup-max weights.  The idea here is to use as much force on the bar in your primary exercise with a sub-max weight (usually 50% or your 1RM) as you do using 100%.  We start off with speed bench, 50% of you 1RM BP, do 8 sets of 3, all 3 reps in under 4 seconds with 45 seconds between sets.  Then we go into assistance work, ie: close grip board presses and do 5 sets of 5 one week, then 5 sets of 3 the next.  After that two week cylce we swith board height or add bands or chains and do another 2 week cycle with the same rep/set configuration.  Then go into two upper back exercises doing 4 sets of 10 just like we did on max effort day.
For a powerlifter doing the shorter reps helps build explosion without overtraining the delt-pec area.  Remember we are training for strength and quickness, not size.  Bodybuilders train entirely different than we do, and those are the articles you read in Muscle and Fitness, Flex, etc., type of magazines. 
For a high school or college athlete training this way will make them stronger and quicker on the field or court, if you want to add size to a player increase their caloric intake, do NOT change the way they train, if you want a player to lose weight decrease their calories. 
The original question was how to increase the players BP, the pec and delts are very small, very weak muscle groups that can be damaged very easily.  To increase a BP doing more BP's is not the answer, train the upper back and tri-ceps ALLOT.  Also use correct technique, most people that don't know better bench flat back, elbows out and wonder why they can barely bench their own body weight.  Dave Tate at elitefts is a buddy of mine, he has a 6 part video series that he's posting on his elite's facebook page as I write this, he has the first 3 parts finished and its all about correct form.  If anyone wants it I'll pm you the link, for some reason the mods won't let me post that stuff on here, even though its on you tube and other video magazine type sites.

CardsQB12

powerlifter90

coogfan

powerlifter90

Quote from: coogfan on July 21, 2010, 12:01:54 pm
Should shoes be worn?

YES!! always wear shoes when lifting foot protection from dropping things plus it keeps your arches from falling.  Now when I squat or dead lift I wear chuck taylors (converse hi-tops) not much arch support but the best lifting shoes I've ever tried.

cav2012

CHSBISON77

I feel I have to say this, because I see it all the time in the gym I work at and in my bro's HS weight room

WRAP YOUR THUMB AROUND THE BAR WHEN YOU DO BENCH PRESS!!!

seriously, if you don't like the way it feels or whatever...get over it! Even with a spotter it's risky as heck it only takes one time for that thing to fall and crush your wind pipe/neck/etc and it don't take much weight to do it.

CardsQB12

Quote from: CHSBISON77 on July 22, 2010, 03:01:15 pm
I feel I have to say this, because I see it all the time in the gym I work at and in my bro's HS weight room

seriously, if you don't like the way it feels or whatever...get over it! Even with a spotter it's risky as heck it only takes one time for that thing to fall and crush your wind pipe/neck/etc and it don't take much weight to do it.

See: Johnson, Stefan

powerlifter90

Quote from: CHSBISON77 on July 22, 2010, 03:01:15 pm

the kid from USC only had 275 on the bar when it dropped on his neck and almost killed him.  He didn't have his thumb wrapped around the bar.  Lift safely .............

Valleysports

Yeh - I've insisted my son lift Thumbs Wrapped, unlike his Old Man. I've only dropped it 3 times over 30 yrs - 1 time major weight to my Adams Apple.  Wish our generation hadn't learned that way!!!!

Bugs - I've been hearing some guys advize that Squating, while using a Belt, weakens your back.  I call BS on that - but I don't wrap thumbs either.  What's your thought?

Valleysports

July 23, 2010, 10:40:32 pm #13 Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 12:31:20 am by Valleysports
Should Nutritian & Supplements be part of this discussion or for another thread?  Like, diff types of Creatine, Protein (when and how to take), Alanine, Cartisine Saturation, Vitamin D, & Fish Oil.  Usage of pre-workout aids like NoExplode, JackEd, AMP, Black Powder. After workout. Cycling creatine & beta alanine for intense training & recover. I mean I heard about those things from my friend ;D

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on July 23, 2010, 10:11:25 pm
Yeh - I've insisted my son lift Thumbs Wrapped, unlike his Old Man. I've only dropped it 3 times over 30 yrs - 1 time major weight to my Adams Apple.  Wish our generation hadn't learned that way!!!!

Bugs - I've been hearing some guys advize that Squating, while using a Belt, weakens your back.  I call BS on that - but I don't wrap thumbs either.  What's your thought?

Using a belt, or any other supportive gear, when not needed will not allow the area being supported to get stronger.  With that being said, when you get to the heavier weights (ie: 50-60% or 1RM or heavier) add the belt.  Yesterday for example was my "Max Effort" squat day, we did deloads with not box. 
My sets were:
bar-10
135-8
185-6
225-4
275-2
315-2   add belt
365-2
405-2
455-2
495-2
545-1
585-1
635-1
675-1
725- miss

I "normally" wouldn't have added the belt till about 365, which with 675 being my goal yesterday is 54%.  I've been out for a few weeks and I could tell on the lighter sets that my back and core weren't strong enough so I put the belt on early.  For high schoolers I think leaving it off on squat, DL, cleans, etc., is a good idea until they hit 50%.

Quote from: Valleysports on July 23, 2010, 10:40:32 pm
Should Nutritian & Supplements be part of this discussion or for another thread?  Like, diff types of Creatine, Protein (when and how to take), Alanine, Cartisine Saturation, Vitamin D, & Fish Oil.  Usage of pre-workout aids like NoExplode, JackEd, AMP, Black Powder. After workout. Cycling creatine & beta alanine for intense training & recover. I mean I heard about those things from my friend ;D

I have tried just about everything that GNC type stores have sold over the years, some products worked, some were crap.  I have found the only things that really work for me is a QUALITY creatine supplement and a QUALITY protein supplement.  The two products I'm taking now have worked for me better than any others.  I talk "Dark Matter" after my workouts, its a "recovery" supplement that contains Glycogen, ProSynthagen, and creatine.  Before bed I take a protein supplement called "Cytogainer" it contains 54g of protein 3g of creatine and 2g of Glutimine.  These are the only supplements I would recommend anyone taking, there are too many out there that are "snake oil" and will just make the distributor rich.  One caution I need to throw out, with creatine you have to drink allot of water (especially in the summer), approx a gallon a day not including what you drink during your training sessions.  It is easy to get dehydrated using this product and if someone is taking it I suggest they stop during football two-a-days.  Its is safe, you just have to increase your water intake as creatine pulls water into the muscle cells, flushing out the lactic acid and replenishing the ATP.
On diet: nothing is better than good nutrition lets just start there.  However, high school boys need as many "good calories" as they can take in (unless they are over weight).  They need to be eating 2-3 hours a day during off season workouts, 7 on 7, etc.  They need to stay away from the sugar type snacks and try to stay away from potato chips and the like also.  My son, coming out of high school weighed about 140 at 5' 11", he needed to gain lbs, so 1. he started hitting the weights 2. he started eating MUCH more.  An example of his day was 6am breakfast, pasta with chicken or eggs and toast, etc.  9am turkey sandwich or small frozen pizza.  NOON Arbies roast beef or two McD's burgers etc., with small fries and a non-soda drink.  2-3pm same as at 9am.  3-4 pm work out   approx 6pm Dinner (what ever we cooked that night)  before bed protein shake.  He has done this the past 3 summers and weighed as much as 170.  The kids have to eat.............. feed them like you did when they were infants, that is the only way MOST of these kids will gain any size, it doesn't matter what your are doing in the weight room, if you aren't eating it won't work.  Now for the BIG kids (overweight, fat).  Same workouts as the other kids, same eating schedule but 1/2 the amounts.  Here's why:  when you eat 5-6 times a day you keep your blood sugar levels the same, your body doesn't sense you are hungry, your energy levels stay up, and your metabolism increases.  The biggest mistake people that want to lose weight make is to stop eating, when this happens the body goes into "starvation" mode and stores fat, that is what we want to get away from, fat. 

Valleysports

July 24, 2010, 10:56:05 pm #15 Last Edit: July 24, 2010, 10:58:46 pm by Valleysports
That's some good info Bug -

You know that I've just cranked back up in the last 2 yrs - mainly to train and guide my 15yr old.  Gotten some great info, from you, that we've really benifited from.  I have access to this Sports Dietitian Lady, Rikki Keen, that my company pays for.  She works with America's Top Athletes, NFL Players, Olympic Athletes, College (particularly Florida State), she's involved with the NFL Combine and etc..  One time we were talking and she got a call from Chris Johnson.  She works with him and he was wanting to boosts his speed for some kind of race ($100K Bet) he was having with another NFL Running Back.  Anyway she know's her stuff.  Actually I'll be seeing her again on Aug 8th.

She is big on Vitamin D, Fish Oil, and taking a Multi Vitamin.  Vitamin D is the rage now days.  She'll have her athletes double up on Vit D and Fish Oil during intense training, like two a days. Got to do with Recovery and Energy.

EAS is one of her company's sponsor's, but she likes EAS Phosphagen Elite (Creatine/Alanine). 1 scoop before workout.  She recommends taking 25 gms of protein right after a workout. And mixing with about 28 gms of Juice or Milk. One of those miniature cans of Grape Juice is perfect. Says the juice helps the protein get to the muscle tissue quickly.

I have a lot more info written down, about a lot of products, but it's probably more than this site needs.  I'm with you though - Quality Training and a Quality Protein is were it's at.

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on July 24, 2010, 10:56:05 pm
That's some good info Bug -

You know that I've just cranked back up in the last 2 yrs - mainly to train and guide my 15yr old.  Gotten some great info, from you, that we've really benifited from.  I have access to this Sports Dietitian Lady, Rikki Keen, that my company pays for.  She works with America's Top Athletes, NFL Players, Olympic Athletes, College (particularly Florida State), she's involved with the NFL Combine and etc..  One time we were talking and she got a call from Chris Johnson.  She works with him and he was wanting to boosts his speed for some kind of race ($100K Bet) he was having with another NFL Running Back.  Anyway she know's her stuff.  Actually I'll be seeing her again on Aug 8th.

She is big on Vitamin D, Fish Oil, and taking a Multi Vitamin.  Vitamin D is the rage now days.  She'll have her athletes double up on Vit D and Fish Oil during intense training, like two a days. Got to do with Recovery and Energy.

EAS is one of her company's sponsor's, but she likes EAS Phosphagen Elite (Creatine/Alanine). 1 scoop before workout.  She recommends taking 25 gms of protein right after a workout. And mixing with about 28 gms of Juice or Milk. One of those miniature cans of Grape Juice is perfect. Says the juice helps the protein get to the muscle tissue quickly.

I have a lot more info written down, about a lot of products, but it's probably more than this site needs.  I'm with you though - Quality Training and a Quality Protein is were it's at.

thanks for reminding me, I forgot all about Crea-Alkyline when I posted earlier, it is another product I've used that I got great results from.

Hey, on your "false grip" on you bench press, if you can try to get away from it, not only from a safety standpoint but a technique one as well.  When you bench you should SQUEEZE the everliving heck out of the bar and "try" to bend the bar around yourself as you come down, do this by "pulling" the bar apart while its in your hands.  This keeps you "tight" during the movement, keeps your elbows in, and you activated your lats better.  Dave Tate of elitefts has a 6 part video on his site entitled "So you think you can bench".  Dave tood a "normal" ole gym guy and is teaching him how to properly bench the powerlifter way.  I think he has 4 parts posted at this time, it contains some very good info, check it out.

Valleysports

Well this was on my mind last night, a Heavy Bench Night, and I'm all by myself at 01:00, working in a remote part of the world.  The Bench I use, up here, does have safety bars so I'm protected from impact if I drop it.  But I'm trying to convince myself to start wrapping those thumbs.  Don't really know why I have to go so heavy anyway, but well you know how it is. What you just wrote is very interesting, because when I bench there is no grip.  The bar just rolls back, balanced, and I basically just rest fingers on the bar.  But I've been tightening up and bringing my elbows in more lately.  I'll try this technique on the up coming Light Day.

Best thing is that we'll get my 15 yr old learning correctly in the first place!

Valleysports

You mentioned focusing on Triceps and Back for stronger Bench.  What Tricep Exercises might be the better Bench Complimentary?  Seems like a lot of them are more Bodybuilding than Powerlifting.  Wish I could shake this Tennis Elbow!  ::)

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on July 26, 2010, 03:25:06 am
You mentioned focusing on Triceps and Back for stronger Bench.  What Tricep Exercises might be the better Bench Complimentary?  Seems like a lot of them are more Bodybuilding than Powerlifting.  Wish I could shake this Tennis Elbow!  ::)

tricep extensions (aka: skull crushers) are really hard on the elbows.  they are a very good "bodybuilder" exercise but have no real value for a powerlifter other than something to throw in every now and then.  The "tri-cep" exercises we use are: close grip board presses, tate press, DB bp with palms facing, pin press (lock outs), floor presses and a new one I just added banded tricep pushdowns.  All of these exercises will really help the tricep group and improve your bench.  Also if you can go down to that gym in your area I told you about, they will be able to help you out

Valleysports

I know - I know!  :D  Went over there last week, signed kid up for a training program he's running.  Next day, at home, kid seriously rolled ankle.  I trained there for about 6 months, but the family needed a basketball court.  You know who's the boss...

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on July 26, 2010, 08:59:01 pm
I know - I know!  :D  Went over there last week, signed kid up for a training program he's running.  Next day, at home, kid seriously rolled ankle.  I trained there for about 6 months, but the family needed a basketball court.  You know who's the boss...

haha........I know that's right. 

CHSBISON77

feel posting this because i feel like being helpful, also see and hear this at work...

for you first time lifters that wanna try and get that "6 pack" especially the big guys...hate to break it to ya...it ain't happin anytime soon  :'( ...not without a lil pre work

I see people come in and do a lil beach muscle work, hit the cardio then try and kill them self trying to do crunches to get a washboard for a stomach, and complain because it ain't happin in 2 weeks...that's because your core is weak.

to help with that ill give a lil info and im sure Bugs will be along shortly to add his own stuff on it.

you can actually help your core a ton everyday without much effort...quit ya slouchin seriously...straighten up right now and you will notice your core workin...amazing huh?  ;D

while sit-ups/crunches is fun, lets back off those for a lil shall we? how bout some good ole fashion squats! yep those and dead lift are a GREAT core builder, you don't have to kill yourself but enough weight for ya to feel a burn around 10-12* reps will help a ton!

other fun lifts for your include: plate raises...most people can use a 25ilb plate with no problem, so try that and see how ya feel, once again I'd use 10-12 reps, (bonus tip) grip the plate like a steering wheel, keep your knees bent a little and chest out...it's not a speed drill keep your form

how do ya know if your core needs work? well probably one the most used methods is "the plank"  think push-up position but with your forearms on the floor, keep that back straight and basically make yourself a straight line. If you can hold that for 2+ minutes...quit reading this and go do some abs ya bum. 1-2 min about normal, need some work on core training but shouldn't take long to fix.
0-1 min...start hittin them core exercises 10 min ago!

(bonus tip) doing these AFTER cardio is a great way to help your core out. think of it as a "pre-exhaust" your core is already broken down a little bit so it makes it easier to "break it down" and get the biggest bang for your buck

this has been your CHS77 workout minute...Bugs do with it what ya will

*Bugs will probably give a ya a exact science so, I'll let him have that one :D

powerlifter90

Your core or "trunk" are the muscles or muscle group that supports everything we do, without a strong trunk you will fold like a folding chair when any type of load is applied above your waistline.  For athletes a strong trunk controls EVERYTHING you do in athletics without it you are only a partial player.  Too many people (especially guys) want "abs", the want to look like an underwear model or the dude on the latest copy of Muscle and Fitness.  Although aesthetically that looks great, athletically there is no functional application to having a waist, core, trunk like that.  Look, at most of your athletes in physical sports what do you see?  Thick legs (not just quads), a large round butt, thickness in the upper back and trap area and a little "pudge" where the stomach is.  Why is this, are they fat? Do they have a beer gut?  NO!  Remember your trunk area contains numerous muscles, if you train them properly they will, like any other muscle get larger, this causing them to protrude much like someone with a small beer belly, but when you lift you shirt up there is muscle definition.  Training the trunk area is not rocket science, we do it every day and it usually consists of 2 sets of spread eagle weighted sit ups of 25 reps each and some decline situps while catching a medicine ball overhead and not bending the arms on descent or assent.  Plus like Bison said if you are squatting, deadlifting or using any over lifts like that you are using your abdominal muscles all the time.  When you squat or DL you inhale before you descend with the weight, the air goes into your gut and you push out against the belt.  That keeps your back straight and gives you the support needed to handle the weight. 

Valleysports

I've been trying to digest the Tate Bench Technique for a few days.  I'm  with it, but some of it goes against everything we've ever been taught.  Specifically the arching - first thing I taught my son not to do.

powerlifter90

Valley: when you arch your butt still stays on the bench, the idea is to "DRIVE" your traps, upper back, shoulders into the bench (most benches in commercial gyms make this impossible because the pad is to hard and the material too slick)
Getting the arch, puts the chest/sternum area in a better postition for loading up, after you arch you SQUEEZE your shoulder blades together.  At "lift off" flex your lats (pretend you are doing a front lat spread).  Use your legs to drive the weight, all this should be done with an arch, but not so much that back problems develop. 

there is a meet at Back to Basics on Saturday.  check it out if you have time

cav2012

In your opinion what would be a normal increase in my max bench press from month to month

powerlifter90

Quote from: cav2012 on July 30, 2010, 12:00:46 am
In your opinion what would be a normal increase in my max bench press from month to month

Dang, you hit with the hard questions.  That is tough to answer because I don't know all the facts.
how tall are you?
what do you weigh?
what do you bench now?
what program you are doing now?

we usually only do the same workout per body part once a month.  meaning we switch so many exercises around the same exercise and the same order is only repeated every 4 weeks.  I know I've come back to a particular exercise (ie: BP) and added 10 or 15 lbs to my max in a month.  For me it also has allot to do with how I've eaten that day, my energy level, etc.  If you can either respond here or send me a PM with the questions I asked and I'll help you out the best I can

cav2012

Quote from: BUGEATERS on July 30, 2010, 02:19:57 pm<br />
Quote from: cav2012 on July 30, 2010, 12:00:46 am<br />In your opinion what would be a normal increase in my max bench press from month to month<br />
<br /><br />Dang, you hit with the hard questions.  That is tough to answer because I don't know all the facts.<br />how tall are you?<br />what do you weigh?<br />what do you bench now?<br />what program you are doing now?<br /><br />we usually only do the same workout per body part once a month.  meaning we switch so many exercises around the same exercise and the same order is only repeated every 4 weeks.  I know I've come back to a particular exercise (ie: BP) and added 10 or 15 lbs to my max in a month.  For me it also has allot to do with how I've eaten that day, my energy level, etc.  If you can either respond here or send me a PM with the questions I asked and I'll help you out the best I can<br />
check pm

Valleysports

cav - you'll be an 11th grader this year?

Valleysports

Gonna take a while to adjust over to that Bench Technique.  Elbow is hindering me from gripping tight and pushing outward.  Did feel the Lats more.  You're right about slipping common bench.. 

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on August 02, 2010, 10:39:48 pm
Gonna take a while to adjust over to that Bench Technique.  Elbow is hindering me from gripping tight and pushing outward.  Did feel the Lats more.  You're right about slipping common bench.. 

I have the "sticky back" pad material here that I can give you, or I know where you can get a sticky back, thick pad for $75.   Its got the sticky material, about 2" thick and 12.5" wide.  Its the pad a buddy of mine puts on the benches he makes for elite

Valleysports

August 04, 2010, 06:52:15 pm #33 Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 12:40:05 pm by Valleysports
My earlier post was in reference to Athletes being heavier compared to a Body Builder.  There seem's to be some kind of sense that a Body Builder doesn't bench 400, squat 700, and run a 4.4 - 40.  I'll wait for a response before going further, but I'll tell you a high BMI on an athlete doesn't impress me none.

Valleysports

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on August 14, 2010, 10:25:27 pm
Tech Player 800 lb Dead Lift

hahaha............  it's a small world.  I've known Jonathon very well since he was about 15, where we met at the high school powerlifting championships.  He is like a son to me and he is a great "kid" and a great lifter, I hope he pulls 800, right now he's "dropping" down to the 308 lb class to take a challenge from one of our lifter buddies in Alabama

Valleysports

I was working out this morning in my little gym (at our worksite) where I've lifted for 20 yrs.  So I'm sitting there on the Bench and I look over at these Full Size Lamentated Poster's, that have been on the wall since I can remember.  One is a Chest Workout - guess what I see?  The illustration is showing the proper bench and incline using a False Grip! Haha those proper lifting technique posters probably came from the Bench Manufacture when we bought the equipment.  I pulled out my Sharpie and brought the poster into the 21st Century! 

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on August 20, 2010, 10:40:31 am
I was working out this morning in my little gym (at our worksite) where I've lifted for 20 yrs.  So I'm sitting there on the Bench and I look over at these Full Size Lamentated Poster's, that have been on the wall since I can remember.  One is a Chest Workout - guess what I see?  The illustration is showing the proper bench and incline using a False Grip! Haha those proper lifting technique posters probably came from the Bench Manufacture when we bought the equipment.  I pulled out my Sharpie and brought the poster into the 21st Century! 

haha...........classic

Valleysports

September 07, 2010, 08:58:01 am #39 Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 11:32:48 am by Valleysports
Well Bugs to my disbelief my Bench Technique is finally relearned  :D  Here's a good thing!

I had to drop 50# on bench, for several reasons.  Changed from False Grip to Thumb Wrap after 30 yrs - that was really tough.  I've had terrible elbow tendinitis and the thumb wrap hurt.  It really hurt to use a tight grip (use to open hand), and even more to push out (separate bungy while lifting).  Started this, well, old post suggest the end of July.  Also, I have the hurting rotator cuff everyone deals with, although I tore mine out, in my 20's.  Here's how it went this morning.

Get under Bench, get a good thumb wrapped grip.
Swing under bar, like Tate, to get legs set good.
Swing back to position - arched back.
Refocus on tight grip and pushing apart.
Elbows in - shift weight to start position.
I feel so freaking tight - not one tweak in elbow (pain free) or shoulder - just about caught back up on the 50 lbs, know I'll blow right through that Plataea.  Lats have exploded and now that the  elbow's not hurting, I'm gradually able to intense Tricep work.  Most important intimidating daughters male college classmates!  ;D

I posted this to show patience and backing off, to let injuries heal, pays off.

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on September 07, 2010, 08:58:01 am
Most important intimidating daughters male college classmates!  ;D

lol ROTF!!!!    That is AWESOME, I'm really happy everything is working out for you.  Its funny how just a little "tweak" in form can fix problems we have had for years.  You have to get to know your body and find ways to fix things that bother you.

My daughter lives in GA, she's a 6th grader.  She calls me the other day, upset, seems some of the 8th grade boys were picking on her on the bus.
She says, "Daddy just come down and ride the bus ONE day with me........ that will scare them so bad they won't ever speak to me again." 
I said, "ok, maybe next week or so"
she said, "that's great.........and Daddy, wear a tank top"

Valleysports

Even the pumped up football players, coming in our home, are easily intimidated.  You just have to give them the look and don't say anything.  I think their imagination runs wild!  My daughter's always telling me "dad don't scare this one"!   ;D

powerlifter90

Quote from: Valleysports on September 07, 2010, 09:28:45 am
Even the pumped up football players, coming in our home, are easily intimidated.  You just have to give them the look and don't say anything.  I think their imagination runs wild!  My daughter's always telling me "dad don't scare this one"!   ;D

so no sitting at the kitchen table cleaning weapons huh?

SingleWingGuru

There is a lot of talk about thumb wrap vs. no thumb rap.

I used to be into powerlifting, but now I'm just a complete fatbody. (still can push my weight around), just in the "staypuffed marshmallow" stage because of my job and life at the moment.

When I want to fix or work on my BP technique, I DO not thumb rap.

1.  When you do not thumb rap, you are forced to bend your wrists, and the weight of the bar is supported over the width of your palm.

2.  When you do not thumb rap, you are forced to make your bench a curved motion as compared to a straight up and down, and YES this makes a huge difference.

3.  When you do not do the thumb rap, you are forcing your hand width wider than most usually use.  Trying to spread the weight evenly across that flat palm, means you have to move your arms out.  Too close of a grip seems to be symptomatic of the people I see that don't have much bench-wise.

I do NOT lift with no thumb when using heavy weights.  I lift low weights, moderate reps, and work on transferring the curved motion of the bar, grip spread, and general feeling to when I press with thumbs.  Working a short time on cleaning your technique will increase your bench faster than just about anything.

Plus, remember, heavy weights low rep are a training of your nervous system, almost moreso than your muscles.  You don't have to be a hypertrophic looking person to be able to push some serious weight around.

Valleysports

Yeah you've been out of it for awhile too, huh? 
Benching Technique has changed, as much as supplements, over the last 20 yrs.
5, 6, 700+ Bench Presser's don't use the antiquated false grip you and I grew up with.
Either way you certainly don't want to teach a kid to start out with a false grip, for obvious reasons.

Bugs actually they do see weapons of choice all over this house.
And quiet a collection of heads mostly from Alaska  ;D

Y'all take it easy on the poster above!

SingleWingGuru

Quote from: Valleysports on September 07, 2010, 08:56:22 pm
Yeah you've been out of it for awhile too, huh? 
Benching Technique has changed, as much as supplements, over the last 20 yrs.
5, 6, 700+ Bench Presser's don't use the antiquated false grip you and I grew up with.

And I'm not implying they do.  But I am implying they work a ton on technique and this can clean a lot of technique issues.

SingleWingGuru

LoL, I haven't been out of it THAT long.

I am however the type of person that has a slow metabolism, high calorie diet (it is mostly good stuff, just too much good stuff), and spend a ton of time on the road.

Valleysports

Ever wonder if you know the person posting?  ;D

powerlifter90

Quote from: SingleWingGuru on September 07, 2010, 09:30:23 pm
LoL, I haven't been out of it THAT long.

I am however the type of person that has a slow metabolism, high calorie diet (it is mostly good stuff, just too much good stuff), and spend a ton of time on the road.

hey SWG, go to www.elitefts.com, look at the 7 part series called "you think you can bench" or go to my FB page and see it, THIS is the BP technique I teach for many reasons the biggest reason being that it allows you to move more weight, more weight equals getting stronger, getting stronger requires more muscle recruitment.........etc etc etc.   As far as CNS training, one of the biggest mistakes athletes and casual lifters make is NOT training the CNS.  We do max effort work (upper and lower body) twice a week, along with dynamic effort (speed) work (upper and lower body) twice a week, with different primary and accessory work.  Actually with my workout you only do the same-exact workout once a month. 
False grip: DONT do it, safety being the #1 concern (USC football player type accidents) all of the powerlifting federations have now outlawed the false or thumbless grip.  When using a "full grip" you do not have to bend your wrists "back" you train your self to keep your wrist as straight as possible (look at my videos on my FB or youtube page).  I have my index finger on the indexing ring of the bar, my elbows stay relatively close to my body, my shoulder blades are pulled together, I have a SLIGHT arch in my back, sternum up, bring the bar down to the bottom of the sternum and press STRAIGHT up or slightly towards the bottom.  Your entire body is involved in the movement, your entire body is tight from hand off to re-rack.  People with shoulder or pec problems need to pay very close attention to what I say about technique or watch the videos on elite.  The "arching" movement, bring the bar to our nipples, etc., was taught long ago and is not the way to do things now.  To bench press HEAVY get the larger muscle groups of the upper body involved (back, lats, tri's) and you will start throwing up weight you never though you could, your max now will become warm up weight. 

cav2012

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas