• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Week 4 of conf play... Fayetteville at Bentonville

Started by Razorback Red, October 06, 2018, 07:38:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Razorback Red

Always excitement surrounding this game, both teams will bring their best. 

I am hoping FHS's QB is healthy for this one, as BHS is 3-0 in conf play and hasn't had a game yet that is close at the half.  The BHS D has been stout, but they haven't seen a QB or WR like what FHS has. 

Can FHS finally win a regular season game over BHS?  Someone can verify, but I think BHS has won 10 or 11 in a row during the regular season. 

Can the BHS offense prove they are improved and ready to compete with anyone?

I'm ready for this one. 

Razorback Red

Crickets..... this is typically the most talked about regular season game of the season. 

Brian G

Fayetteville last win at BHS in conference play was 2005 I think.  It was the game Brent Phillips ran for like 250 yards for FHS.  Since then, this has been BHS all the way.

Post season is a different story.

Game rests on availability of Bowers and his mobility if playing.  I expect a close one as should everyone.

Rob Van Winkle

BV could easily be 5-1 with the only loss to powerhouse Aledo TX and FV could easily be undefeated so this is a matchup of 2 of the best teams in the state. The Tigers are physical and I think that is where they might have a slight advantage but the Purple Dogs have a lot of playmakers on offense, especially if Bowers is healthy.

This one goes a long way in playoff seedings as well as momentum heading down the stretch. Should be a great game.

5tooldad

De Facto conference title game.   At least if Bentonville wins it.  Centerton will be exposed soon enough.

sportsguy80

Thinking about making this one. Like Razorback said always a good matchup.

Rob Van Winkle

In conference play FV offense averaging 43.3 points/game while BV defense only allowing 5 points/game. On the flip side BV offense averaging 48 points/game and FV defense giving up 24.3 points/game.

You can argue that BV has played the weakest schedule thus far in conference but they have totally dismantled the 3 teams they have played. Even is Bowers is out FV is potent on offense and Gibbs is putting up some solid numbers. The matchup that will determine the outcome (IMO) will be BV offense versus the FV defense.

It will be a great one to watch.

TheDale

Quote from: 5tooldad on October 10, 2018, 11:10:37 pm
Centerton will be exposed soon enough.

Why do you believe that? That team has some serious talent. The rest of the 7A West is LUCKY that WJ has been hurt because the Wolverines are legit, I can only imagine what they'd look like with their starting QB on the field.

5tooldad

Quote from: TheDale on October 11, 2018, 01:58:04 pm
Why do you believe that? That team has some serious talent. The rest of the 7A West is LUCKY that WJ has been hurt because the Wolverines are legit, I can only imagine what they'd look like with their starting QB on the field.
i say it because I don't believe they are legit.   They have some individual talent but some huge weaknesses too.   O-line is small and some of their talent only plays when they feel like it.  WJ is no doubt a big loss though the McDonald kid has made his school proud.  BHS will own them. 

BHS this year does not have the superstar (Unless you count their #21) but they are super solid all the way across both offense and defense.   A real TEAM.   

Razorback Red

I said it when they were 0-3 and I'll say it at 3-3, let's tap the brakes on Bentonville a bit.  They are better than originally thought, but I'm not ready to give them the trophy. 

Yes, they have won 3 in a row and yes the offense has looked better, but they have played 2 really bad teams and 1 team that was physically beat up.  I like the progress I am seeing, but not yet convinced the offense has the horses to compete for a state title. 

With that said, they are improving and I think they have a great shot of beating FHS.  The D is very good, but will be tested this week. 

As for West, when healthy I would put them above Bentonville.  No team in 7A has a 3-headed monster on offense like they do.  The biggest weakness for West is their secondary, they can be scored on which puts a lot of pressure on the offense. 

If BHS wins tomorrow night, we are prob looking at another 6-0 vs 6-0 for a week 10 conf title showdown.  With that said, that IF is big.  FHS is really, really good when Bowers is healthy. 

Thatoneguy2

Quote from: Razorback Red on October 06, 2018, 07:38:01 am
Always excitement surrounding this game, both teams will bring their best. 

I am hoping FHS's QB is healthy for this one, as BHS is 3-0 in conf play and hasn't had a game yet that is close at the half.  The BHS D has been stout, but they haven't seen a QB or WR like what FHS has. 

Can FHS finally win a regular season game over BHS?  Someone can verify, but I think BHS has won 10 or 11 in a row during the regular season. 

Can the BHS offense prove they are improved and ready to compete with anyone?

I'm ready for this one.

Bentonville has won the last 12 regular season matchups with fayetteville.

Brian G

Quote from: Thatoneguy2 on October 11, 2018, 04:15:55 pm
Bentonville has won the last 12 regular season matchups with fayetteville.
is that your way of saying FHS is due?

DerekOxford

Quote from: B.G. on October 08, 2018, 06:30:42 pm
Fayetteville last win at BHS in conference play was 2005 I think.  It was the game Brent Phillips ran for like 250 yards for FHS.  Since then, this has been BHS all the way.

Post season is a different story.

Game rests on availability of Bowers and his mobility if playing.  I expect a close one as should everyone.

You sold Brent short by about 90 yards. He had 341. The Dawgs had 579 as a team that night. 49-30 FHS win, it was the first year new Tiger Stadium was open and Barry Lunney's first year at the school.

Brian G

i meant 350.  But yeah.  Thanks for the specifics.

Thatoneguy2

5tooldad

Rob Van Winkle

5tooldad what are your thoughts on the other teams? I think your assessment of West is pretty spot on. What about FV, HB and Springdale?

Razorback Red

Another classic, these battles never get old.  I hope they meet again down the road.  Once Bowers is healthy, FHS will be very tough.  BHS caught a break late with a big play.  Tigers offense is still a work in progress, but that's a great win!

Both these teams will be tough in Nov!

5tooldad

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on October 12, 2018, 01:37:20 pm
5tooldad what are your thoughts on the other teams? I think your assessment of West is pretty spot on. What about FV, HB and Springdale?
Rob, I'm far from an expert and some would say far from knowledgeable.

That said, I'm happy to tell you what I think. 

I've only seen Springdale play once and it was their Thursday week 1 game hosting Joe T Robinson.  I thought their back 7 defensively were super aggressive that game and punished the Robinson receivers.  Offensively, Allen mad a couple plays and the pounders kid looked like a gamer though I understand he was fresh off an injury.  That said, they've had some difficulties with some other teams so far.  Likely the 4th best team in the West.

I've not been impressed at all with Har Ber this year.  Saw them against PA then against Bentonville.  Their lack of discipline cost them dearly in both games.  Almost like it's a showcase year for individuals and team success be dang.  Best thing I saw with them is they have a true freshman guard who not only looks the part but plays it too.  #55.  Don't know his name but he is the real deal IMO.

Fayetteville has a couple guys with some speed but no offensive continuity.  Could b because Bowers just got back.  Bentonville wins that game by much more if they would just stick with the run.  They could run it at will tonight but kept going away from it.  Same offensive stupidity that cost them the Conway game.   I'm not sure whose call that is but their unwillingness to commit to the run is a definite liability.  And that's nothing against their QB or receivers....they won the game on a pass play....but Fayetteville could not stop the run tonight but Bentonville kept going away from it and it killed multiple drives.  They would go 2 tight and pick up multiple 1st downs then go 1 tight or 5 wife and stall.   The Bentonville fans were getting very angry. 

I see the West as

1.  Bentonville
2.  Fayetteville/Centerton
3.  Centerton/Fayetteville
4.  Springdale
5.  Har Ber
6.  The other 3 are horrid.  Heritage being the worst.

tj1987

If you watched the game carefully Bentonville had one significant running drive and thats when Fay for some reason was subbing their front 4 starters, which IMO was a mistake.  When they were in it  was a different story, thats why you didnt see Bville running more often they picked spots when they could do it successfully ( smart coaching). They had 50 rushes for 169 yard for a 3.3 per carry ave not exactly running at will.  They won the game a broken play long pass.  It will be interesting to see them in a playoff rematch it it shakes out.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas