• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Jacksonville at Batesville (1st Round)

Started by MDXPHD, November 08, 2014, 08:29:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MDXPHD

Batesville will rest starters most of the second half.  42-7.

Intelligentsia

Hmmm, pretty optimistic MD....   With only the information from FF, I will say Batesville by 17.  The Pioneer QB still appears to only be around 80%, so I hope your right.  He could use a couple weeks light game duty to prepare for a complete effort if we make it to P.A.  When even 90%, his ability to scramble with the ability to throw on the run is impressive.

Overdahill

Wildhog14

No contest here! No one goes to Batesville and wins.  This will be over mid 3rd

chaingang

Quote from: Wildhog14 on November 08, 2014, 09:44:32 am
No contest here! No one goes to Batesville and wins.  This will be over mid 3rd
Over by the start of the 2nd Quarter......IMO

InYoGrill

Over after 3rd Neer possession 21-0, 1st Q. Jville may have 50 fans there, parents of half the players.

Intelligentsia

Sad to see any program in that state of decline. 

The_Pioneer

I have no insight into Jacksonville.  We've never played them before.  The playoffs aren't new to us, so yeah, we win by 3 TDs at least.  Pioneer Stadium is not a place you want to visit in the first round.

walkingguy72396

Unless your Alma or was that not first round?

michael2370

Last time alma came to pioneer nation Batesville won late.  I am not sure if Alma has beaten Batesville st Batesville.

AT

Alma hasn't beaten Batesville in the playoffs in the two times they've played in the 2000s. Don't know about before that.

michael2370

The only one I can remember was one in the early 2000's when alma was winning 99 percent of the game and Batesville pulled out a win in the closing seconds literally in the closing seconds.

walkingguy72396

Maybe its Morrilton Im thinking of.  Might of been a later round game in Batesville.

Seems like a remember some-thing about half the team suffering from the Flu.

Rampage72501

Quote from: michael2370 on November 08, 2014, 07:34:09 pm
The only one I can remember was one in the early 2000's when alma was winning 99 percent of the game and Batesville pulled out a win in the closing seconds literally in the closing seconds.

It was 2005, and Batesville scored twice late in the 4th quarter, the last one in the final minute, to win 14-7.

michael2370

Now Morilton came to Batesville one year when Batesville was a high seed and beat Batesville that night.  Honestly since then I think Greenwood was the only team to come to Batesville and win in the playoffs.  I could be wrong.

Rampage72501

Quote from: michael2370 on November 08, 2014, 08:58:06 pm
Now Morilton came to Batesville one year when Batesville was a high seed and beat Batesville that night.  Honestly since then I think Greenwood was the only team to come to Batesville and win in the playoffs.  I could be wrong.

That was also 2005, in the semi-finals.  Batesville handled the Devil Dogs pretty easily in the pre-season scrimmage that year, but it was a different story in the semis.  And the coach of that Morrilton team?  None other than current Wynne Head coach Chris Hill.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Rampage72501 on November 08, 2014, 09:19:28 pm

That was also 2005, in the semi-finals.  Batesville handled the Devil Dogs pretty easily in the pre-season scrimmage that year, but it was a different story in the semis.  And the coach of that Morrilton team?  None other than current Wynne Head coach Chris Hill.

Where did Batesville play Siloam in the late 2000's?

Rampage72501

2007 - got spanked.  We beat them here in 2004.

NEASPORTSFAN

Quote from: Rampage72501 on November 08, 2014, 08:43:55 pm

It was 2005, and Batesville scored twice late in the 4th quarter, the last one in the final minute, to win 14-7.
Yes. If I remember correctly it was a wild finish. Alma led 7-0 and was trying to run out the clock but fumbled. Batesville scored with less than a minute to go to make it 7-6, but missed the extra point. Batesville recovered the onside kick and scored the winner with just a few tics left

Rampage72501

Quote from: phstiger on November 09, 2014, 08:54:47 am
Quote from: Rampage72501 on November 08, 2014, 08:43:55 pm

Yes. If I remember correctly it was a wild finish. Alma led 7-0 and was trying to run out the clock but fumbled. Batesville scored with less than a minute to go to make it 7-6, but missed the extra point. Batesville recovered the onside kick and scored the winner with just a few tics left

Not quite. We scored and then kicked off and held Alma on their possession and they punted to us.  We got the ball with no timeouts left, ran the 2-minute offense to perfection and went down and scored the game winner.  I remember at the time thinking it was a mistake to not try the onside, but Coach King and staff made the right call.  The defense held, we used our timeouts, and got the ball back in decent field position only needing a field goal to win. 

It may be the best final 4 minutes of a high school football game I have ever witnessed.

michael2370

What kind of offense is Jacksonville and what is Jacksonvilles strengths and weakness's this year.

Mtnview_14

Grond

Just curious: In playoffs, are the 'regular' officials used, or is there some special rule?

(Being from Paragould, I obviously have NO EXPERIENCE in playoff football........ :'()

Blazer51

Quote from: Grond on November 09, 2014, 10:15:24 pm
Just curious: In playoffs, are the 'regular' officials used, or is there some special rule?

(Being from Paragould, I obviously have NO EXPERIENCE in playoff football........ :'()

I had to resist a very snide comment but I believe they are the same.

DaOldRef

On Jacksonville, keep RB Gause bottled up and keep pressure on QB Hickinbotham, and you should do alright.

PercussionMan

Quote from: Rampage72501 on November 08, 2014, 09:19:28 pm

Correct...it was freezing cold that game, and Morrilton came in and destroyed a 12-0 Batesville team very unexpectedly.  Anything can happen in the playoffs, but I highly anticipate a semi final game at Pulaski Academy!

Maynard G Krebs

1st round mercy rule game, Batesville wins

C-Mac 73

If my math is correct, Batesville is 15-3 at home in the playoffs since 2003.

Morrilton beat a 12-0 Batesville team 31-8 in 2005.
Siloam Springs beat a 7-3 Batesville team 40-15 in 2007.
Greenwood beat a 12-0 Batesville team 38-13 in 2010.

Oddly enough, Batesville's teams from 2011-2013 all started off 1-2 and all three lost in War Memorial.
The two undefeated teams in '05 and '10 were both perfect and then blown out at home by West teams.

This year's Pioneer squad started off 2-1, so they're kinda setting their own trend. We'll see what happens.

The_Pioneer

ImHogginIt

Will this game stream live on HS Cube or will it be like all Batesville home games and be streamed after its completion? I'm tired of those of us out of state getting screwed. When The Guard streamed live the overwhelming majority watching were those of us no longer living in Batesville. And there really wasn't a whole lot of folks watching. Streaming live had no effect on game attendence.

Rampage72501

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 14, 2014, 06:42:52 am
Will this game stream live on HS Cube or will it be like all Batesville home games and be streamed after its completion? I'm tired of those of us out of state getting screwed. When The Guard streamed live the overwhelming majority watching were those of us no longer living in Batesville. And there really wasn't a whole lot of folks watching. Streaming live had no effect on game attendence.

As far as I know, it will be delayed.

It was fun to be able to share Pioneer Football with those who loved too far away to make it to games.  It was a hoot knowing we had someone watching from South Korea every Friday night (Saturday morning their time).  I also know of at least 2 occasions where we had a viewer from Italy (former Rotary exchange student) and one from Africa (no idea who that was).

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Rampage72501 on November 14, 2014, 07:02:03 am

It was fun to be able to share Pioneer Football with those who loved too far away to make it to games.  It was a hoot knowing we had someone watching from South Korea every Friday night (Saturday morning their time).  I also know of at least 2 occasions where we had a viewer from Italy (former Rotary exchange student) and one from Africa (no idea who that was).

I watched you guys either from my recliner here in Texas or from the motel in Fayetteville if I was up for a Hog game. Good times. Sucks only getting to see half the games live now. I refuse to watch the delayed ones.

Rampage72501

Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 14, 2014, 07:04:26 am

I watched you guys either from my recliner here in Texas or from the motel in Fayetteville if I was up for a Hog game. Good times. Sucks only getting to see half the games live now. I refuse to watch the delayed ones.

I've heard some people have been able to view the home games live the past several games.  Not sure how/why.  I do know that it's not supposed to be that way, but I have heard from multiple people it's true.

I understand the concern about the lost gate, but I believe the webcasts weren't the only culprit.  The comparison was always the gate from 2003 compared to 2010.  In 2003, gas wasn't $3 a gallon.  In 2003, Pioneer Football was the only game in town.  Now, a lot of people go watch Cedar Ridge, Southside, Melbourne, Cave City, and Midland, especially if they have grandkids or nephews playing.

I do believe there is a future for live streaming games, but only for those willing to purchase the stream on a game by game or season pass package.  The technology is there (Lyon College does it), and I think most of the people who live too far away to come to the games would be willing to pay a small amount to have access, especially if some of the proceeds go toward the school.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Rampage72501 on November 14, 2014, 07:17:08 am
Quote from: ImHogginIt on November 14, 2014, 07:04:26 am

I've heard some people have been able to view the home games live the past several games.  Not sure how/why.  I do know that it's not supposed to be that way, but I have heard from multiple people it's true.

I understand the concern about the lost gate, but I believe the webcasts weren't the only culprit.  The comparison was always the gate from 2003 compared to 2010.  In 2003, gas wasn't $3 a gallon.  In 2003, Pioneer Football was the only game in town.  Now, a lot of people go watch Cedar Ridge, Southside, Melbourne, Cave City, and Midland, especially if they have grandkids or nephews playing.

I do believe there is a future for live streaming games, but only for those willing to purchase the stream on a game by game or season pass package.  The technology is there (Lyon College does it), and I think most of the people who live too far away to come to the games would be willing to pay a small amount to have access, especially if some of the proceeds go toward the school.

I would be willing to pay maybe $10 per game. Heck MLB.com I pay $120 to watch all 162 Card games so $10 for a HS game is reasonable

Intelligentsia

Considering $$$, I believe the delayed home game broadcast to be a fair compromise. Home game attendance is up after implementation of the delay.  I don't know how else to explain the increase, other than the broadcast delay.  Most of our sports rely totally on the football gate revenue, so delayed broadcast is a necessary evil.  (That does not even take into consideration the improved atmosphere generated as result of increased attendance.)

Rampage72501

I had proposed a per game fee of $7 or a season pass for $60.  I believe most fans and relatives wouldn't have minded paying that.  It could be built to allow all games, including playoffs, to be covered by the $60, or you could set it up with a bolt-on post-season package.  Either way, it's more than possible to make it work.

One of the real drawbacks to streaming is the majority of press boxes simply do not have the extra room to allow for another "crew" to set-up.  In the 2 years I did it, I was actually in a pressbox only 3 times in 27 games, and one of those was in the camera well atop the pressbox at War Memorial.  Even a pressbox that large didn't have enough space to accommodate our crew. We were able to make it work each week, but it wasn't without significant challenges from a space and technology standpoint.  Fortunately, most everyone, from the Batesville administration to the administrations of the other schools when we were on the road, were accommodating.  That being said, I couldn't imagine what it would have been like had both us and the other school tried to stream the games at the same time, especially if both also had a separate radio crew.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 14, 2014, 07:42:38 am
Considering $$$, I believe the delayed home game broadcast to be a fair compromise. Home game attendance is up after implementation of the delay.  I don't know how else to explain the increase, other than the broadcast delay.  Most of our sports rely totally on the football gate revenue, so delayed broadcast is a necessary evil.  (That does not even take into consideration the improved atmosphere generated as result of increased attendance.)

Some people just can't make the game.  I think you should offer a live stream with pay, since it is all about money. You actually might make more money come playoffs since some people that would never travel to Batesville would pay to watch them play. 

Rampage72501

I think the compromise has worked, for the most part.

It's not just about attendance, although that needs to be a major consideration.  And even if it was possible to purchase live streaming and the money is given back to the school, how do you distribute it?  Every person who watches from home doesn't purchase anything from the Band Booster concession stand...how much of the captured revenue goes to them?

Rampage72501

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 14, 2014, 07:53:44 am

Some people just can't make the game.  I think you should offer a live stream with pay, since it is all about money. You actually might make more money come playoffs since some people that would never travel to Batesville would pay to watch them play. 

Playoffs also bring another element into play...the AAA.  They would certainly want their cut of any revenue generated from live streaming...

Intelligentsia

Rampage, do you agree that home game attendance is up?  I don't have data to back that up, just observation.

MDXPHD

Quote from: Rampage72501 on November 14, 2014, 07:56:35 am

Playoffs also bring another element into play...the AAA.  They would certainly want their cut of any revenue generated from live streaming...

Do they get their cut from the gate too? If so, I don't see why the percentage can't be the same.

I'm not sure about the concession, surely there is a small percentage that can be cut for that too.  They could find a streaming company that allows "blackout" markets and just blackout anyone within a small radius of Batesville from streaming the game.  This would be a good fix I think.

ImHogginIt

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 14, 2014, 08:27:24 am

Do they get their cut from the gate too? If so, I don't see why the percentage can't be the same.

I'm not sure about the concession, surely there is a small percentage that can be cut for that too.  They could find a streaming company that allows "blackout" markets and just blackout anyone within a small radius of Batesville from streaming the game.  This would be a good fix I think.
Quote from: MDXPHD on November 14, 2014, 08:27:24 am

Exactly. They can just block certain IP's in the surrounding area and charge me down here in Texas a small fee to view online. Everybody wins.

Go Postal

Like you guys said earlier, live video stream is great for a team's fans that can not make it to the game.  Especially, the ones that are in other States or Countries.  I get texts from Goblin fans in Canada and Australia on the Harrison games after they watch it.  This is all good, but If you live near your team's home game you should go to it.  Video and radio do a good job, but there is nothing better than being at the game with the live atmosphere and box proceeds do help your school.
You are right about sometimes not having enough room to set up a crew, but I have seen some games broadcasted on Ipads.  Not the best way to do it, but doable. 

michael2370

I think the cold temp will keep some away

Rampage72501

I don't have any data to back up the attendance figures, but I never had any data to confirm the attendace was down either.  I trust my sources who said it was.

There are only so many ways you can slice the pie.  One thing we have not discussed here is the impact live streaming of away games has on our opponents.  If a Pioneer fan stays at home because he/she can watch a game live, for free, that's lost gate and concessions for our opponent.  How long before those administrations start charging us to stream the games live?  What about the resturants in Paragould, Wynne, and other towns that lose out on fans travelling to games?  Where do you set the boundary for blocking IP addresses.  Is it fair for someone who lives 20 miles away to get the game when someone who lives 15 miles away cannot?

I say all that to say I do think there is a place for live streaming of games, but it's not as simple as some people believe it to be.  I can tell you my eyes were opened to things I never gave a second thought to when I was a part of it, and the truth is most people don't think about the business side of things nor something as simple as trying to keep expensive equipment dry when there is no room for you in a pressbox.

PioneerMan73

Batesville by a mile in this one batesvill is starting to come on at the right time with there defense as strong as a steel wall!

pantherblue

Man it's cold on the banks of the white river!!

The_Pioneer

It'll be cold for whomever gets to join us next week too....

Intelligentsia

Update:  It appears that the the game will be live streamed tonight - at least I received a highschoolcube notice to the effect.  I'm going home to bundle up and I'd I can operate this tiny board at 25°, iI will post the score here on the FF score thread.  Hope the out-of-state fans can get the game.  To those close - put some clothes on and get to the game - don't be a bunch of weenies!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas