• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Press Box Fight

Started by Uncle Ivan, October 31, 2014, 09:35:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Missco

The TSSAA. was too harsh on those two schools..This situation also was very different. The Blytheville paper had a good article that explains a lot...The game officials handled this situation very poorly..

Rulesman

Quote from: Missco on November 04, 2014, 11:06:14 am
The TSSAA. was too harsh on those two schools..This situation also was very different. The Blytheville paper had a good article that explains a lot...The game officials handled this situation very poorly..
It's always the fault of the officials. I am truly surprised you (of all people) would make a comment like that. Those responsible should take responsibility.

ricepig

Quote from: tuna fish on November 04, 2014, 10:19:56 am
No one knows exactly who will not play yet.  The vanishing video tapes didn't help anything.  I really wish the AAA had a backbone like the TSSAA.  Neither team would be playing Friday.

http://wreg.com/2014/10/30/tssaa-bans-hillcrest-mitchell-high-schools-from-postseason-football/

There are multiple accounts of all players from both teams leaving the team box, and there were multiple fights on the field.  However, some just want to make this out as just any old regular fight between a couple of players.  It was worse than that, and both teams should be punished accordingly.

We're you there?

tuna fish

The Blytheville paper explains exactly what happened.  There were multiple fights on the field and both teams left the team boxes and came onto the field.  By rule all players that entered the field were ejected (which was all of the players) and the 5 or 6 that were able to be identified were ejected.  But, good for these players!  They now know there are no repercussions for leaving the bench during a brawl.  And that is what it was a brawl.

Blytheville Courier News Headline "Brawl Halts Blytheville-Paragould Game"

More:

Following a seven-yard run on a reverse by Jordan Jackson, Blytheville and Paragould players got tangled up down field. Then, players from both teams began fighting on the field. Benches cleared and coaches from both sides, as well as officials, rushed to the brawl to get control.

Blytheville head coach Ben Fisher was unclear about the consequences of the brawl, following the game.

Hixson said when players leave the sidelines, that usually means automatic ejection. When players are ejected, they aren't eligible to play the next game. All players from both teams appeared to leave their respective sidelines, which could mean players would be ineligible for the final game this Friday night.

"I've never had this happen before, on the football field or basketball court," Hixson said. "This is foreign territory."

"I'm shocked," he said.

With both sidelines emptying during the brawl, AAA could also opt to force Blytheville and Paragould to forfeit their final games against Forrest City and Greene County Tech, respectively.

hogwild_82

No way the AAA does anything about this. There will be a few boys from both teams sit and that is all. Neither the schools nor the state are going to require a forfeit. Be it wrong or right. Let's just move on and help the AAA and these school brush this under the rug.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: tuna fish on November 04, 2014, 11:40:23 am
They now know there are no repercussions for leaving the bench during a brawl.

Scotty Thurman comes to mind - 2nd round vs Georgetown, 1994. 

Missco

I am not blaming the officials..All parties should take responsibility. .both teams are quilty..Today's paper had an article that threw out the race card

Chief-Chickasaw

AAA says Blytheville is ok to play Friday.

Rulesman

Quote from: Missco on November 04, 2014, 12:10:36 pm
I am not blaming the officials..All parties should take responsibility. .both teams are quilty..Today's paper had an article that threw out the race card
Then what is this? ???

Quote from: Missco on Today at 11:06:14 am

Missco

Everyone involved has some responsibility. .no one is perfect..

hogwild_82

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on November 04, 2014, 12:27:25 pm

did you really expect anything different?

hogwild_82

Quote from: hogwild_82 on November 04, 2014, 12:35:52 pm
Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on November 04, 2014, 12:27:25 pm

did you really expect anything different?

Did the AAA not sit anyone?

Chief-Chickasaw

3 from Blytheville will sit. 2 linemen and a TE/DE. This really hurts Blytheville because we lack depth at those positions. 
Over this week I have been very proud of the way our players have handled themselves. They held a player meeting Saturday morning to discuss what happened and how this could never happen again. The team got together and drafted a letter to the paper apologizing for their teams actions and role in the incident.

In a letter addressed to the community of Blytheville, Chickasaw players apologized for Blytheville's role in Friday night's benches-clearing fight with the Paragould Rams.

On behalf of the team Monday seniors Everett Jenkins and DeMadre Clark wrote: "We, the 2014 Blytheville Chickasaw football team, would like to publicly apologize for our roles in Friday night's incident. We regret the way in which we handled an unsavory situation and hope that this one incident does not reflect poorly on our school and community as a whole. We greatly appreciate the support that you all have shown and continue to show us and to our school district as we will take this matter as a learning experience and grow from it. Please accept our deepest apologies.

I still feel that a message could be sent to the Chicks players by not letting them play in the game Friday, I also understand and feel for the majority of our boys that tried to do what they felt was right by attempting to break up the fight. At the end of the day I'm a fan and personally know and care for many of the players on the team. So with everything now settled GO CHICKS BEAT FOREST CITY.

Rulesman

Quote from: Missco on November 04, 2014, 12:29:34 pm
Everyone involved has some responsibility. .no one is perfect..
Nice side step.  ::)

Chief-Chickasaw

Also it's reported Paragould is good to play. They will have 2 ineligible.  I don't know the 2 who will be ineligible does anyone from Paragould know which 2? Just give their number I'm just curious if it is who I thought it would be. I actually thought one of the Blytheville linemen would be good and we would lose a DB but the AAA went with the lineman

ozarko

If a player left the sidelines (whether for good or bad reasons), they should be ejected from the game.  Isn't that the AAA rule?  This isn't the first time this has happened.  Why is this situation any different than previous situations?

A few years ago, at the Harrison vs Huntsville game, Senior night, both Harrison and Huntsville players were ejected for coming off the sidelines and entering the "brawl".  In fact, the referees were preparing to incorrectly eject one of the Harrison players,  (the jersey numbers were similar, like 66 and 88)  and the player who actually came off the sideline to enter the brawl manned up and said "No, it wasn't him.  It was me."  The player being falsely accused had already signed to play college ball!  It's a good thing his teammate was honest and the refs believed him. 

That being said, we have rules and we have precedents.  Follow them.  Eject players, forfeit games.  Do whatever is necessary to teach these kids there will be times in their lives they must follow the rules or they will be punished. 

60Hog

November 04, 2014, 03:14:33 pm #66 Last Edit: November 04, 2014, 03:16:40 pm by 60Hog
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on November 03, 2014, 07:00:34 pm
Quote from: 60Hog on November 03, 2014, 03:43:04 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on October 31, 2014, 09:35:38 pm
At the Paragould game.  Check page two of the scores thread for details.

However, I want the full scoop.  Reporter fight?  Players, fans?

Uncle Ivan, haven't seen your name on here for a few years but I see you have posted a few times.  You may remember me as Anon2 when Arkadelphia played Wynne in the playoffs a few years ago and I said Wynne would win by 14 points which they did.  Haven't hit one since. We have a tough one Friday with Malvern. Take care. 

I remember.  How've you been?

Great for an almost an 83 year old.  Wasn't on here for a while after my computer crashed and couldn't remember my password when I replaced it.  Also on the road a lot visiting and going to football games.  Glad you remembered and responded.  I'll stop visiting now and let all you young people have it.

Intelligentsia

Ejecting all involved is a hard line and a hard lesson, but necessary - for the good of all Arkansas high school sports, the safety of future players, and to the lesson that negative actions do indeed lead to negative consequences.  Our society is increasingly impacted by excuse making and this is a place where we should draw the line.

Lionheart88

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 04, 2014, 03:17:36 pm
Ejecting all involved is a hard line and a hard lesson, but necessary - for the good of all Arkansas high school sports, the safety of future players, and to the lesson that negative actions do indeed lead to negative consequences.  Our society is increasingly impacted by excuse making and this is a place where we should draw the line.
+1

pantherblue

So true. Let's put punishment back in society.  It's past time for it to return!

Jack1990

Surely no one expected AAA to do anything else.  There is no way they would exhibit the testicular fortitude or spinal structure to enforce their own rules and guidance.

ozarko

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 04, 2014, 03:17:36 pm

Amen!

DogsWin7

Quote from: Jack1990 on November 04, 2014, 03:37:08 pm
Surely no one expected AAA to do anything else.  There is no way they would exhibit the testicular fortitude or spinal structure to enforce their own rules and guidance.
That is a rather interesting statement.   What more could they have done?   Is it in their power to be the deciding factor?   Have circumstances, such as this, ever happened before where they have stepped in or is this a first??  just asking:)   

MikeDieselâ„¢

Quote from: ozarko on November 04, 2014, 02:24:56 pm
If a player left the sidelines (whether for good or bad reasons), they should be ejected from the game.  Isn't that the AAA rule?  This isn't the first time this has happened.  Why is this situation any different than previous situations?

A few years ago, at the Harrison vs Huntsville game, Senior night, both Harrison and Huntsville players were ejected for coming off the sidelines and entering the "brawl".  In fact, the referees were preparing to incorrectly eject one of the Harrison players,  (the jersey numbers were similar, like 66 and 88)  and the player who actually came off the sideline to enter the brawl manned up and said "No, it wasn't him.  It was me."  The player being falsely accused had already signed to play college ball!  It's a good thing his teammate was honest and the refs believed him. 

That being said, we have rules and we have precedents.  Follow them.  Eject players, forfeit games.  Do whatever is necessary to teach these kids there will be times in their lives they must follow the rules or they will be punished. 

If I'm thinking correctly, there was a change of possession happening at this point.  So, leaving the sidelines could have been a bunch of players trying to get into the game.  So, just throwing everyone out that left the sidelines is a little difficult to justify in this instance. 

Although one of the refs specifically stated that "both teams are ejected, game is over".  Very surprised that they are playing. 

As for the disappearing video, the local cable company films all games, but only films from beginning of the play to the end of the play.  He stops recording in between plays, so that one isn't available.  And the school's one wasn't working properly.  So, they stopped filming in the first quarter.

Intelligentsia

Thanks for this Mike, I didn't think about the players going onto the field in a change of possession - that does change things.  If that is the case and there is no film, it would be hard to sort this out beyond the limited suspensions announced.  As far as the referee announcing that all players were ejected, he may not have been thinking about the change of possession issue and simply let his emotions get the better of him.  The coaches may be the best judge of who should be suspended, and take action to to hold their players accountable.

tuna fish

No change of possession.  It was a seven yard run on first down.  The benches clearly cleared and their were multiple fights.

Jack1990

So now we have two different stories on the background of the play itself.  Some say it was a punt, others say it was a first down run.  That would make a difference as to whether or not players came onto the field of play.

tuna fish

Blytheville Courier:  "Following a seven-yard run on a reverse by Jordan Jackson, Blytheville and Paragould players got tangled up down field."  There is no question as to what kind of play it was.  It was a reverse on first down by Blytheville.  I have to give the Blytheville administration and players at least some small props.  They have pretty much taken full accountability.  That has not been the case concerning the other team.  Players and coaches from both teams rushed the field because multiple fights broke out.  Again, there have been multiple accounts of the benches clearing, and as has been stated, leaving the bench during a fight is an automatic ejection.  There is nothing that anyone can say that will minimize the situation.  Just because the AAA refused to do the right thing doesn't diminish the BRAWL in any way.  It basically sets a precedent that teams will not be punished for leaving the sidelines during a fight.

Grond

The comment about the play being a punt was mine, and that was INCORRECT.  Yes, I was there, in the stands.  But sometimes I suffer from CRS: Can't Remember S##t.

Since there are still ongoing discussions between AAA and Paragould, I think it is better for me to say nothing.

Jack1990

Well, glad we got that straightened out.

ricepig

Maybe, if someone who was an official in that game who keeps posting in this thread, would tell us his game report he sent in to the AAA, we'd know the "official's" take on it.

tuna fish

Any report sent to the AAA would be confidential information that could not be disclosed.  But, I think the "official's" take is pretty clear.

ricepig

Quote from: tuna fish on November 06, 2014, 10:12:43 am
Any report sent to the AAA would be confidential information that could not be disclosed.  But, I think the "official's" take is pretty clear.

Well, use a pseudonym on here, no one would know........... ;D

Rida4Life

If I remember correctly the LHSAA banned Bastrop and another school from the playoffs a year or two back for fighting.  I don't remember all the details but they came down pretty hard on them.  They also imposed some pretty stiff penalties on a school for "stealing" practice film of an opponent through a former player on Hudl.

AAA doesn't have NEAR the fortitude to do anything like that......
not saying that either team deserves that here but if you all things like this to happen with minimal penalties things will only get worse. 

DogsWin7

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2014, 10:22:14 am

Well, use a pseudonym on here, no one would know........... ;D
LOL!! ;) ;D

Jayepea

tmycjy

Quote from: Rida4Life on November 06, 2014, 11:12:48 am
If I remember correctly the LHSAA banned Bastrop and another school from the playoffs a year or two back for fighting.  I don't remember all the details but they came down pretty hard on them.  They also imposed some pretty stiff penalties on a school for "stealing" practice film of an opponent through a former player on Hudl.

not saying that either team deserves that here but if you all things like this to happen with minimal penalties things will only get worse. 

My idea is to have kinda like a warring it like this if they were cought fight those players would have been thrown out and it would have been a warring to both school if it happen again in the same game or diffrent game then there would be stiffer punament by my idea

MDXPHD

That's not necessarily true.

ricepig

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 07, 2014, 07:47:16 am

That's not necessarily true.

So, you know more?

george7244

Quote from: tmycjy on November 07, 2014, 06:20:29 am
Quote from: Rida4Life on November 06, 2014, 11:12:48 am

.      Look whats running the AAA. Enough said

My idea is to have kinda like a warring it like this if they were cought fight those players would have been thrown out and it would have been a warring to both school if it happen again in the same game or diffrent game then there would be stiffer punament by my idea

Adjudicator

Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2014, 10:05:53 am
Maybe, if someone who was an official in that game who keeps posting in this thread, would tell us his game report he sent in to the AAA, we'd know the "official's" take on it.
Hey Ricepig I really don't think any of the officials from that game have been posting about this.  Yes there are a few officials (active and retired) posting but I don't think any of those guys are.  I dang sure wouldn't if I were involved!! It's an ugly situation. 

ricepig

Quote from: Adjudicator on November 07, 2014, 09:57:13 am
Quote from: ricepig on November 06, 2014, 10:05:53 am
Hey Ricepig I really don't think any of the officials from that game have been posting about this.  Yes there are a few officials (active and retired) posting but I don't think any of those guys are.  I dang sure wouldn't if I were involved!! It's an ugly situation.

Well, it wouldn't be the first time I was wrong............or not??

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas