• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Press Box Fight

Started by Uncle Ivan, October 31, 2014, 09:35:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Uncle Ivan

At the Paragould game.  Check page two of the scores thread for details.

However, I want the full scoop.  Reporter fight?  Players, fans? 

tuna fish

Bench clearing brawl on the field.  Multiple punches and multiple ejections. Virtually every player for both teams left the team box. Not a good situation. Police were on the field trying to break up the brawl. Clean game up until that point.

Missco

Darn. Wish I would have went to the game...sounds interesting..

Chief-Chickasaw

Really chippy game up until the fight broke out. Basically what happened was a Blytheville player hit a Paragould player with a cheap shot at the whistle Paragould player threw a punch and the Blytheville player went after him. Both benches then cleared and BOTH teams acted like idiots. I was embarrassed to be a Blytheville fan.  Hats off to Paragould before the fight they really took it to our boys. Cops didn't have to break up the fight the coaches did a good job of that. Cops jogged out just in case they were needed.  I know being that this happened in Blytheville that our boys will probably take the brunt of Blytheville is a bunch of thugs remarks but BOTH teams really played an equal part in this incident.  Sad this happened and embarrassed for our school.

tuna fish

It was bad all the way around. Both teams were equally responsible.

Chief-Chickasaw

I do have a question the Refs ejected both teams entire benches and players on the field does that mean both teams have to forfeit next week's game or move up 9th graders?
Personally as a Blytheville fan I feel like our boys lost the privilege of putting on that Chickasaw uniform and we should forfeit next week against Forest City and call it a season. I guess it will be up to the AAA. I will probably talk to the coach, principal, and superattendant.

Grond

Paragould perspective: Fairly clean game, although Blytheville had gotten an unsportsmanlike penalty earlier in 2nd half.  Also several incidents of Blytheville defense bumping, throwing running back LONG after whistle had blown (no penalties).

Play was a punt, Pgld receiving.  After play was over, two Chicks got in the face of a Pgld blocker (who was by himself), and got between him and Pgld sidelines.  Pgld player MAY have thrown first punch.

But it looked worse than it was.  There was a total of 10 players scuffling.  Fight was quickly broken up, by refs, coaches, AND players.

Blytheville could NOT get their passing game going, and Paragould's running game was firing on all cylinders.

What ever punishment the teams get, they both deserve.  However, if the refs had made some 'Late Hit' or 'Personal foul' calls, this possibly doesn't happen.

Complete Biased PoV

Quote from: Grond on October 31, 2014, 11:21:45 pm
Paragould perspective: Fairly clean game, although Blytheville had gotten an unsportsmanlike penalty earlier in 2nd half.  Also several incidents of Blytheville defense bumping, throwing running back LONG after whistle had blown (no penalties).

Play was a punt, Pgld receiving.  After play was over, two Chicks got in the face of a Pgld blocker (who was by himself), and got between him and Pgld sidelines.  Pgld player MAY have thrown first punch.

But it looked worse than it was.  There was a total of 10 players scuffling.  Fight was quickly broken up, by refs, coaches, AND players.

Blytheville could NOT get their passing game going, and Paragould's running game was firing on all cylinders.

What ever punishment the teams get, they both deserve.  However, if the refs had made some 'Late Hit' or 'Personal foul' calls, this possibly doesn't happen.

Spoken like a truly unbiased helicopter parent...  ::)  :o

tuna fish

Have to disagree. It was a very clean game up until the fight. A couple of guys lost their minds and their teammates got caught up in it. Very bad for both teams.

Hoghead

That Classy 5A East ! Chainsaw fights and Torch burnings. Keep it clean up there ! LOL !

The_Pioneer

Since it was Paragould playing, was it a pillow fight?

Chief-Chickasaw

Man I'm full of questions.  Did Blytheville give the final spot 5A East playoff spot to Forest City with a forfeit?  A Blytheville win next week would've given Blytheville and Forest City the same record with Blytheville holding the tie breaker. I'm so disappointed in this team after last night.
Lol I know our 9th graders said they would go play next week to try and keep the playoff hopes alive.

walkingguy72396

Forrest City with two weeks to rest up.  Might knock off a 1 seed.  Way to go Chicks and Rams.

Chief-Chickasaw

Lol we figured they needed a bye. We want to help the conference in the playoffs anyway we can.

Hoghead

Quote from: walkingguy72396 on November 01, 2014, 11:10:19 am
Forrest City with two weeks to rest up.  Might knock off a 1 seed.  Way to go Chicks and Rams.

#4 FC over #1 PA ? Meanwhile at Larry's Liquor Emporium & Fairy Tale Lounge.

mijally

This deal should serve notice to all players and coaches playing this week especially in heated rivalry games. Any action that gets you ejected this week could cost you to miss a playoff game. Players on teams with no chance to make the playoffs especially Srs playing in their last game may try to bait you into doing something foolish. DONT TAKE THE BAIT!!!

tmycjy

I got a question does both team forit there last game do to the fight

ricepig

Quote from: tuna fish on November 01, 2014, 01:40:28 am
Have to disagree. It was a very clean game up until the fight. A couple of guys lost their minds and their teammates got caught up in it. Very bad for both teams.

Sounds like the officials lost control, lol.....

tuna fish

Quote from: ricepig on November 01, 2014, 02:14:14 pm
Quote from: tuna fish on November 01, 2014, 01:40:28 am

Sounds like the officials lost control, lol.....

After the first haymaker, all control was lost! "That escalated quickly"!

michael2370

If both teams were kicked out do they forfeit next week . if yes who to.

Missco

Good thing refs didn't do this in the 70s,80s, or even early 90s..I can think of several instances where teams would have had to vacate some titles in basketball especially.

HeberFan

So who knows the answer?  Can either team play next week without moving up the 9th graders ?

Chief-Chickasaw

Spoke with our coaches and they don't even know. It is up to the AAA. I know several have been officially kicked out after that no one knows. The Coaches aren't even sure when they will find out. They are not sure exactly who has been kicked out. They just know the Refs wrote down several from both teams

HeberFan

Grond

I want to EMPHASIZE that the time from the whistle blowing to both teams being separated was about 1 minute.

Did the benches clear? Yes.  And both teams may pay a heavy penalty for that.

But 90% of the boys on both sides actually grabbed their own players and pulled them back. The situation on the field was under control WITHOUT "police help".  There were no after game 'incidents' between Paragould and Blytheville fans.

HeberFan

Might take a while to sort out.

ozarko

Quote from: Grond on November 02, 2014, 02:12:39 am
I want to EMPHASIZE that the time from the whistle blowing to both teams being separated was about 1 minute.

Did the benches clear? Yes.  And both teams may pay a heavy penalty for that.

But 90% of the boys on both sides actually grabbed their own players and pulled them back. The situation on the field was under control WITHOUT "police help".  There were no after game 'incidents' between Paragould and Blytheville fans.

I understand the sideline players "grabbed their own players and pulled them back" to try and get them out of the brawl.  But isn't that still a violation and grounds for sitting out the next game?  I know they were trying to help the situation, but I've seen players ejected for this same thing before.

HeberFan

Coming onto the field, even with the intent of breaking up a fight, is a violation. But still, every team member will get out there to help their brothers.

Blazer51

I don't know how well I believe that Paragould is innocent. We got into a fight with Paragould 3 years in a row at pad camps. We were just as guilty as they were but if a team stays fighting. That says something. They're junior high also picked a fight last year at a pad camp with Annie camp.

HeberFan

Comes down to coaching.. the coaches are responsible for how their players act. The best teams never pick fights and then don't allow themselves to get drawn into one. Not easy. It takes discipline.

Missco

Hard to blame the bly. kids totally in this one..

HeberFan

I am guessing only a few players from each team will get kicked out of this week's game.

Rampage72501

I was told 1 player from Paragould and 4 from Blytheville were the only players ejected.

HeberFan

Then not that big a deal for this week's game

Grond

Quote from: Rampage72501 on November 02, 2014, 08:24:22 pm
I was told 1 player from Paragould and 4 from Blytheville were the only players ejected.

Confirming that Paragould players were told something similar.  But don't underestimate the effect on the teams. Paragould's roster is so small, the loss of ANY player is tough.  And Blytheville needs everyone's best effort to deal with Forrest City.

I am very glad that Blytheville has a chance to compete for the playoffs.

Blazer51

Quote from: Grond on November 02, 2014, 09:20:56 pm
Quote from: Rampage72501 on November 02, 2014, 08:24:22 pm

Confirming that Paragould players were told something similar.  But don't underestimate the effect on the teams. Paragould's roster is so small, the loss of ANY player is tough.  And Blytheville needs everyone's best effort to deal with Forrest City.

I am very glad that Blytheville has a chance to compete for the playoffs.

Any idea which Paragould player?

Chief-Chickasaw

If I had to guess the 4 from Blytheville will be 3 linemen and a DB. That will hurt us a lot. My guess for Paragould would be their QB/RB number 22 he basically single handedly beat the crap out of our Offensive line.  The way he played against us that will kill Paragould.
I can personally think of at least 2 or 3 more on the Blytheville side that could be kicked out and probably 6 more for Paragould. I talked to school officials at Blytheville this morning and they still have no idea where we stand.

Chief-Chickasaw

I still don't understand why Paragould was awarded the win. I know they were winning on the scoreboard but both teams were unable to finish because they didn't have enough players after ejections.  Shouldn't that game be an incomplete or a double forfeit or at least a lose for both teams. With the way the game ended neither team should be rewarded with a win.

Chief-Chickasaw

Alright just keeping everyone updated. This is what I'm hearing now. Blytheville will have 3 to miss Friday's game 2 linemen and a TE/DE. Paragould will have 1 miss their game #44 I think he is the coaches son. I still say #22 should miss too he threw a lot of punches and many on the 3 boys from our team that got ejected. But it doesn't matter in the long run. I believe Blytheville school officials are meeting to decide if the let the boys play and if they want to add anyone to the unable to play list.

tuna fish

Everyone that was at the game knows that both benches cleared.  Everyone knows that there were multiple altercations.  All the players that left the bench should be ejected along with the players that were able to be identified fighting.  There is a reason that there is a rule forbidding players from leaving the bench area during a fight.  Entering the field only adds more tempers and potential problems.  And, fortunately for both teams, both video cameras stopped working during the fight!  Even without the video, it is clear that it was a bad situation far beyond a typical fight between two players.

Blytheville AD:    "I've never had this happen before, on the football field or basketball court," Hixson said. "This is foreign territory."

"I'm shocked," he said.

Blytheville Courier Writer:   "Following a seven-yard run on a reverse by Jordan Jackson, Blytheville and Paragould players got tangled up down field. Then, players from both teams began fighting on the field. Benches cleared and coaches from both sides, as well as officials, rushed to the brawl to get control."

Blytheville Coach:              "Until I see the film, I won't know what happened," Fisher said. "I was dealing with somebody on the sideline and the next thing I look up and Tony (Garth) is throwing punches. I really don't know what happened. I'm not saying anybody is innocent; we didn't get in a fight for nothing, I know that. It was getting chippy all game. All I can say is I'm embarrassed."

There have been multiple accounts on here verifying that the benches did clear.  I know a lot of coaches, and one of the first things they cover and stress to their players is to never leave the sideline during a fight.  They know the consequence for leaving the bench is an ejection and sitting out the next game.  That is probably not going to be what happens in this instance, but it should be.  Once teams learn that there are no consequences for leaving the bench for a fight, LOOK OUT!

Lionheart88

If the coaches went onto the field, they're likely in as much danger of suspension as the players.  During an altercation, their job is to keep their boys on the bench and let the refs handle the players on the field.

Blazer51

Quote from: Lionheart88 on November 03, 2014, 03:10:24 pm
If the coaches went onto the field, they're likely in as much danger of suspension as the players.  During an altercation, their job is to keep their boys on the bench and let the refs handle the players on the field.

I understand that's the rules but to me that is a joke. Most officials I've seen couldn't handle a 13 year old girl. Let alone what are basically grown men, with some almost doubling the size of the official. Idk how most schools coaches are, but all of ours stayed in shape and were relatively young and a lot bigger than us. I guess it all comes down to having enough discipline and respect for your team not to fight.

60Hog

Quote from: Uncle Ivan on October 31, 2014, 09:35:38 pm

Uncle Ivan, haven't seen your name on here for a few years but I see you have posted a few times.  You may remember me as Anon2 when Arkadelphia played Wynne in the playoffs a few years ago and I said Wynne would win by 14 points which they did.  Haven't hit one since. We have a tough one Friday with Malvern. Take care. 

Go Devils

The Brawl had a brief spot in the 4:00 channel 3 news out of Memphis.

Uncle Ivan

Quote from: 60Hog on November 03, 2014, 03:43:04 pm
Quote from: Uncle Ivan on October 31, 2014, 09:35:38 pm

Uncle Ivan, haven't seen your name on here for a few years but I see you have posted a few times.  You may remember me as Anon2 when Arkadelphia played Wynne in the playoffs a few years ago and I said Wynne would win by 14 points which they did.  Haven't hit one since. We have a tough one Friday with Malvern. Take care. 

I remember.  How've you been?

Grond

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on November 03, 2014, 10:56:39 am
Alright just keeping everyone updated. This is what I'm hearing now. Blytheville will have 3 to miss Friday's game 2 linemen and a TE/DE. Paragould will have 1 miss their game #44 I think he is the coaches son. I still say #22 should miss too he threw a lot of punches and many on the 3 boys from our team that got ejected. But it doesn't matter in the long run. I believe Blytheville school officials are meeting to decide if the let the boys play and if they want to add anyone to the unable to play list.

Both players you have listed here (44 & 22) were NOT suspended. One Paragould player was suspended, but I do not think it is appropriate to list that information on social media.

HeberFan

Whatever happens on the field is fair to discuss in here.

Blazer51

Quote from: Grond on November 03, 2014, 10:36:46 pm

Both players you have listed here (44 & 22) were NOT suspended. One Paragould player was suspended, but I do not think it is appropriate to list that information on social media.

Why isn't it appropriate? They should not have been fighting.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: Grond on November 03, 2014, 10:36:46 pm

I was just repeating the things I've heard from sources on our side and what they are hearing from our administration.  As far as what I saw on the field that's what I saw sorry if that upsets you. I was very close to what transpired and know what I saw. Personally I feel that both team should not play this week they both acted like dummies. I have a feeling that no matter what the AAA says Blytheville may still not play as a punishment from the school. I have talked to people in charge and I think they are leaning that way but are still unsure. It's a tough decision because really it was probably 6 boys out of 40 on our team that were aggressors. I feel it was the same on Paragould's side about 6 knuckle heads that were trying to fight.  AAA should be let Blytheville know something sometime this morning. So we can argue about what should have happened around lunch today.

tuna fish

No one knows exactly who will not play yet.  The vanishing video tapes didn't help anything.  I really wish the AAA had a backbone like the TSSAA.  Neither team would be playing Friday.

http://wreg.com/2014/10/30/tssaa-bans-hillcrest-mitchell-high-schools-from-postseason-football/

There are multiple accounts of all players from both teams leaving the team box, and there were multiple fights on the field.  However, some just want to make this out as just any old regular fight between a couple of players.  It was worse than that, and both teams should be punished accordingly.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas