• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2011 Track/Cross Country

Started by ~WPS~, December 09, 2010, 08:04:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

~WPS~

December 09, 2010, 08:04:16 pm Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 11:02:50 pm by Ballplayer1
Who are some teams to look out for in each class this year. As far as 4A, Nashville the defending champion is strong again, as well as Shiloh Christian, Heber Springs usually is good, not sure about Pulaski Academy.

RATTLER43

Augusta, Magazine, and MC look to be good in AA.
Paris will turn a few heads in AAA as their sophs are really impressive.
Nashville and Heber in AAAA
CFV, Magnolia, and Alma in AAAAA
LH and Russvegas in AAAAAA
Bentonville and 7A West in AAAAAAA
Trinity Christian looks to blow them all out in A.

Just my early opinion.

~WPS~

What day is the indoor championships

ogar_hog

bubbaarkansas

AA augusta has about 90 of it's 112  coming back, but must stay hungary. magnet cove movin down eats more into magazine than i would think  augusta, the two third place teams PW & JC were 50 points back of mag and 70 points back of augusta, Ah, but the snows of winter must pass before the warm breezes of spring see the track a whirl!

AT

5A - Magnolia, Vilonia, Alma, Crossett, Forrest City, and Camden Fairview will all be up there to compete for the state championship...

Magnolia - They lost alot from their dominating team last year, but they usually reload. I think it will be tough for them, but 5A may not be as strong as usual this year so we'll see.

Vilonia - They return the most and might be the favorites to win. They return their miler and 2 miler, 2 800 runners, 2 pole vaulters, 400 runner, high jumper, and a triple jumper. All of them placed (except one of the 800 runners who would have placed had he qualified in a tough 5A West conference)

Alma - They actually lost alot from a team who had a disappointing performance at last year's state meet (4th). They return some good throwers and will add good throwers like usual. Coach Mac always has them ready to compete, though, and I dont' expect a huge letdown

Crossett - This team will try to win with their sprinting crew as usual. They will have Orlando Robinson, who will compete for the best all around track athlete in Arkansas. They won't have long distance runners or throwers, but if they get big points in sprints and jumps...watch out.

Forrest City - They always have a lot of athletes qualify for state, but have trouble placing them. They should have Davyon McKinney (Razorback football committ) who will get points in sprints and jumps.

Camden Fairview - This team usually has a good blend of sprints, field events, and some distance runners (usually 800). Watch for them to make some noise too.

AT

Oh I forgot to mention Vilonia's James Sax, who could be top 3 for the 100, 200, 110 hurdles, and 300 hurdles...plus a field event or two.

Vilonia looks very good this year and could knock Alma off the conference throne on their own home track. I hope not.

RATTLER43

If we stay healthy we should be much improved over last year. I just have to wait and see how the sophs and juniors look after a year of weights and training. The seniors look great right now and the freshmen who can score at state are looking good. We should be good and deep in every event. Just hard to overcome all of Augusta's first place finishes. I hope MC doesn't cut into ours much but I don't think they will. Need DA and PW to step up and run at district this season. Loads of ours were knocked out by Eureka, Union, and Decatur. It really cost us at state. Got to get 'em all in this season.

RATTLER43

December 12, 2010, 02:41:42 pm #8 Last Edit: December 12, 2010, 03:58:01 pm by RATTLER43
We just won our title in Football. Hoping the track title is on its way. Must work hard, focused, and healthy.

alaskanstorm

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 12, 2010, 02:41:42 pm
We just won our title in Football. Hoping the track title is on its way. Must work hard, focused, and healthy.
Hopefully you will be able to knock the door down this year.  good luck and keep me informed.

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 10, 2010, 07:10:39 pm
If we stay healthy we should be much improved over last year. I just have to wait and see how the sophs and juniors look after a year of weights and training. The seniors look great right now and the freshmen who can score at state are looking good. We should be good and deep in every event. Just hard to overcome all of Augusta's first place finishes. I hope MC doesn't cut into ours much but I don't think they will. Need DA and PW to step up and run at district this season. Loads of ours were knocked out by Eureka, Union, and Decatur. It really cost us at state. Got to get 'em all in this season.

Hopefully you have a great year Rattler. I'll be rooting for your team to do great. Also, I don't know if you have heard or care, but Alma will be hosting the 5A West track meet this year. I'm glad, because since I'm not on the team this year, I can easily attend it now.

RATTLER43

Thanks, guys. Kids will always do their part. Just have to hope there is not a better team out there. We typically peak right and kids perform well at key meets including state but we have met some powerhouses like Jessieville, Augusta, Earle, and Mineral springs. Hoping this is the year.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 10, 2010, 06:11:55 pm
Oh I forgot to mention Vilonia's James Sax, who could be top 3 for the 100, 200, 110 hurdles, and 300 hurdles...plus a field event or two.

Vilonia looks very good this year and could knock Alma off the conference throne on their own home track. I hope not.

Trackster, V will bring the PAIN this year to the 5A. Simply loaded up and smiling with confidence. Plus we got the best track coach in the 5A- Coach Stout.

AT

Quote from: InYoGrill on December 17, 2010, 07:50:09 pm

Trackster, V will bring the PAIN this year to the 5A. Simply loaded up and smiling with confidence. Plus we got the best track coach in the 5A- Coach Stout.

Haha, very debatable IYG. Coach Stout doesn't have 3 state titles and 7 straight conference championships. Those would belong to a guy named Coach McMurray at Alma.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 17, 2010, 09:27:28 pm

Haha, very debatable IYG. Coach Stout doesn't have 3 state titles and 7 straight conference championships. Those would belong to a guy named Coach McMurray at Alma.

Trackster, I was tying to research what Stout had done in previous years but couldn't find it yet. He has won multiple states down in the southern part of the state before he came to V. Alma will give V a run but watch out.

RATTLER43

If it is Michael Stout from Stamps then he won back to back as Stamps then Lafayette County. They had loaded teams with Marcus and Michael Madison. He also did a good job with mid-distance runners. Not sure about him after those two seasons. Girls and boys won in '04.

AT

Quote from: InYoGrill on December 19, 2010, 08:37:22 am

Trackster, I was tying to research what Stout had done in previous years but couldn't find it yet. He has won multiple states down in the southern part of the state before he came to V. Alma will give V a run but watch out.

Oh I hadn't realized he had won state titles before.
But I think you need to reword what you said as "V will give Alma a run" until Alma is knocked off the top ;)

RATTLER43

What I put was no put down to Coach Mac. I admire him and put him at or near the top of my list for what he has accomplished. Few schools in any classification have the consistency and development in each event that he accomplishes. Looking forward to seeing what he puts together this season.

RATTLER43

December 19, 2010, 08:25:47 pm #18 Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 10:44:01 am by RATTLER43
We have a lot of potential this season.

AT

That is impressive looking Rattler.

If all those kids reach that potential and, of course, perform that well at the state meet, you would be sitting pretty.

Is Travis going to focus on the 800? I bet he could beat 2:06. Of course, if he runs the 4x8, mile and/or 2 mile all in the same meet, it might be hard to beat that.

RATTLER43

We really will not be able to focus on one event. He may just run 800m during season and give it up if we prequalify some to state in that event to be fresh for the 3200m run. We want the team title. I think he could run a 2:02 or 2:03 pretty easily if we focused on it primarily. Could be in mid 1:50s within two years if focused but....

My problem will not be kids reaching those potentials but getting all kids to go out for track. We are really good at all mens sports and in the spring kids must choose baseball or track unless they are willing to sacrifice and do both practices. The Chambers have been able to do it. Few others have been willing over the years. 3 hours of baseball daily then come back and get your weights/plyos and whatever specifics your group did that day is tough. That is why they are only listed in field events. They are both good runners too but cannot be placed in front of kids doing specific training daily for those running events. 4 of the above kids have signed up for baseball. Tryouts are right around the corner. Only time will tell. I really need to have a 50 point lead on Augusta coming out of field events. We led by 21 last year and they came back and beat us. Their sprinters are fantastic. Their mid-distance and distance were good as well.

InYoGrill

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 19, 2010, 12:36:07 pm
If it is Michael Stout from Stamps then he won back to back as Stamps then Lafayette County. They had loaded teams with Marcus and Michael Madison. He also did a good job with mid-distance runners. Not sure about him after those two seasons. Girls and boys won in '04.

Rattler, you are johnny on the spot. That is indeed THE Michael Stout. Kids will jump out of trees for this guy.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Almatrackster on December 19, 2010, 01:23:30 pm

But I think you need to reword what you said as "V will give Alma a run" until Alma is knocked off the top ;)

No re wording needed trackster. Alma sees the backside of V this year.  ;D

RATTLER43

How long has he been at V-town? If he has the athletes he will do very well.

RATTLER43

I had a really good group that year when we moved up to Class 2A. We finished third due to his Stamps team. They won and Hermitage kids won 3200m to leap us into the runner-up position.

InYoGrill

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 20, 2010, 05:43:52 pm
How long has he been at V-town? If he has the athletes he will do very well.

This is only Coach Stout's second season  as the SR High coach. He already is getting this team to be very tough and is implementing his proven system in place. Stout has been the JR High Football coach for 5 years when he moved here. Coach Pinkerton use to be the head track coach for several years before he went to BB two years ago.

sevenof400

..Vilonia looks very good this year and could knock Alma off the conference throne on their own home track. I hope not.

Is Alma's track anything like their basketball facility?

Coach Venny Slocombe

I highly doubt that Mansfield girls repeats as state champions again. Too many studs gone from last year...

RATTLER43

I think you will be pleasantly surprised by the production by the 9th graders. They may win it this year then will be odds on favorites when they combine with this years 8th graders next year. Back to back good groups. But if somebody happens to break up the 8 in a row (indoor and outdoor combined) then they can begin a new streak. Either way the future is very bright for Mansfield girls.

AT

Quote from: InYoGrill on December 20, 2010, 05:30:30 pm
Quote from: Almatrackster on December 19, 2010, 01:23:30 pm

No re wording needed trackster. Alma sees the backside of V this year.  ;D

Thats what we have heard the past three years!

sevenof400

Should also mention that Vilonia boys won back to back titles in what was the Central Arkansas Jr High conference.  The first of those two classes are now seniors so this year should be Vilonia's best opportunity for the next few years. 

AT

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 21, 2010, 09:59:15 am
..Vilonia looks very good this year and could knock Alma off the conference throne on their own home track. I hope not.

Is Alma's track anything like their basketball facility?

No, it is not. I wish it was. But I've heard they are supposed to redo the surface sometime.

RATTLER43

I hope so. Coach Mac and his teams deserve a special place to compete and practice after what they have accomplished. I still remember when it was nice. We came and competed way back in the late 90s and loved it. Our State meet was there shortly thereafter and it was still good. The horizontal jumps areas are in real need of repair. Hope it gets an overhaul. We love to compete at your place because it really pushes my athletes. We normally get a few prequalified at your place.

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 21, 2010, 03:49:23 pm
I hope so. Coach Mac and his teams deserve a special place to compete and practice after what they have accomplished. I still remember when it was nice. We came and competed way back in the late 90s and loved it. Our State meet was there shortly thereafter and it was still good. The horizontal jumps areas are in real need of repair. Hope it gets an overhaul. We love to compete at your place because it really pushes my athletes. We normally get a few prequalified at your place.

Very classy post, Rattler, and I agree completely.

I understand that track and field doesn't bring in the money that football or basketball does, but I wish that the Alma administration would at least upgrade some of the track facilites. I know they've had the money before and probably have it right now, but they have higher priorities for sports.

RATTLER43

Give us a preview for Alma and V-town. Get specific per event. I gave a rundown of my goals for each kid(very achievable since most have been accomplished previously either in practice or at a meet). These are what I need to occur for us to have a shot at state.

I am looking for 7A West team in 7A, Russvegas in 6A (although LH will always be tough), Alma hoping to regain control in 5A, no local team has a shot in 4A, Paris in 3A, Magazine in 2A, and nobody to knock off TC in 1A. Lot of locals to cheer for this spring.

AT

December 23, 2010, 01:02:31 pm #35 Last Edit: December 23, 2010, 01:28:41 pm by Almatrackster
Place at conference – Name – School – Mark/Time (Other events)
I'll put graduates too, to show you what we lost

3 field events first

Triple Jump
1st – Jason Hensley – Alma – 42' 8" (Shot put/long jump/perhaps discus)
2nd – David Crume – Vilonia – 41' 11" (400/4x4/perhaps other springs)
3rd – Luke Edwards – Vilonia – 40' 6" (high jump)
4th – GRADUATED – Alma
5th – MOVED – Alma
6th – Bobby Brown – Alma – 38' 9.5" (pretty much any sprint)
7th – Kyle Moore – Vilonia – 38' 4.5" (high jump/hurdles)

Alma incoming sophomores – Jacob Savavong – Alma – 37' 11"
Nicholas Wilbanks – Alma – 36' 11"

Vilonia incoming sophomores – Bryan Ayers – Vilonia – 37' 2"

ADVANTAGE: Even

High Jump
2nd – GRADUATED – Alma
3rd – Luke Edwards – Vilonia – 6' 0" (Triple Jump)
4th – Josh Rogers – Alma – 6' 0" (400/perhaps triple)
5th – Austin Wofford – Alma – 6'0" (triple jump)
7th – Kyle Moore – Vilonia – 5'8" (high jump/hurdles)
8th – GRADUATED – Vilonia
T9th – Matt Woosley – Alma – 5' 8" (sprints under 400)

Alma incoming sophomores – Derek Spain – Alma – 5' 6"
Keith Schultz – Alma – 5' 4"

Vilonia incoming sophomores – none that I can see

ADVANTAGE: Alma

Shot Put
1st – GRADUATED – Alma
2nd – Jordan White – Alma – 54' 4.5" (Discus)
3rd – Jason Hensley – Alma – 53' 2.75" (triple jump/long jump/perhaps discus)
8th – Jordan Ruple – Vilonia – 40' 8.75" (discus?)
9th – Jake Wiedmaier – Vilonia – 38' 2" (discus?)
10th – GRADUATED – Alma
14th – GRADUATED – Vilonia

Alma incoming sophomores (lighter weight) – Donovan Hood – Alma – 44' 9"
Billy Green – Alma – 43' 1"
Derek Spain – Alma – 42' 4.75"

Vilonia incoming sophomores – none that I can see, some 9th graders, though.

AT

3 more events

Long Jump
1st – MOVED – Alma
4th – GRADUATED – Alma
5th – Jason Hensley – Alma – 20' 1" (triple jump/throws)
6th – James Sax – Vilonia – 19' 10" (sprints/hurdles)
7th – Kyle Moore – Vilonia – 19" 3.75" (hurldes/triple/high)
12th – GRADUATED - Alma
17th – David Crume – Vilonia – 17' 10.75" (sprints/triple)

Alma incoming sophomores – Nicholas Wilbanks – Alma – 17' 7.5"

Vilonia incoming sophomores – Bryan Ayers – Vilonia – 17' 7.5"

ADVANTAGE: Vilonia

Pole Vault
1st – GRADUATED – Vilonia
2nd – GRADUATED – Alma
3rd – Trey Wyatt – Vilonia – 12' 0" (none)
4th – Kyle Wyatt – Vilonia – 12' 0" (none)
5th – Kevin Fagan – Alma – 11' 0" (none)
6th – Zach Burton – Alma – 10' 6" (none)
7th – Tim Kimes – Alma – 10' 0" (none)
8th – Davey Jauch – Vilonia – NH (none?)

Alma Incoming sophomores – Jacob Savavong – Alma – 10' 0"
Dillon Work – Alma – 9' 0"

Vilonia incoming sophomores – Jake Steward – Vilonia – 9' 6"

Discus Throw
1st – GRADUATED – Alma
2nd – GRADUATED – Alma
3rd – GRADUATED – Vilonia
4th – GRADUATED – Viloina
7th – Stephen McMurray – Alma – 108' 9" (none)
11th – GRADUATED – Vilonia
T15th – Jordan White – Alma – ND (shot put)
T15th – Chris Calhoun – Vilonia – ND (none?)

Alma incoming sophomores (lighter weight) – Mac Croff – Alma – 141' 2"

I'll do running events later.

RATTLER43

Looking forward to it. This is my favorite stuff. Wish we could get this from all teams in our classifications.

AT

3 running events

100 meter dash (-.9 wind)
1st – James Sax – Vilonia – 11.45 (200/hurdles)
2nd – Bobby Brown – Alma – 11.48 (200/400/4x4/4x1)
3rd – GRADUATED - Alma
7th – MOVED – Alma
11th – Josh Oliver – Alma – 11.94 (200/4x1)
14th – GRADUATED – Vilonia
19th – Brian Valley – Vilonia – 12.54 (200/400)
25th – Justin Davis – Vilonia – 13.03 (?)

Alma incoming sophomores – Nicholas Wilbanks – Alma – 12.67
Jacob Savavong – Alma – 12.72

Advantage: Its pretty even

200 meter dash (-2.1 wind)
1st – James Sax – Vilonia – 23.09
2nd – GRADUATED – Alma
4th – MOVED – Alma
5th – Bobby Brown – Alma – 24.07 (100/400/4x4/4x1)
6th – Josh Oliver – Alma – 24.36 (100/4x1)
8th – David Crume – Vilonia – 24.69 (400/4x4/jumps)
11th – Brian Valley – Vilonia – 24.72 (100/400)

Alma incoming sophomores – Nicholas Wilbanks – Alma – 25.30
Alex Elam – Alma – 25.44

Vilonia incoming sophomores – None that I can see...

Advantage: Even

400 meter dash
2nd – GRADUATED – Alma
3rd – David Crume – Vilonia – 52.48 (100/200/4x1?)
5th – GRADUATED – Vilonia
6th – Bobby Brown – Alma – 52.65 (100/200/4x4/4x1)
8th – Brian Valley – Vilonia – 55.05 (100/200/4x4?)

Alma incoming sophomores – Alex Elam – Alma – 55.14
Nicholas Wilbanks – Alma – 56.25
Derek Spain – Alma – 1:00.68

Vilonia incoming sophomores – none that I see

Advantage: I have to give it to Alma because of our sophomores coming in

AT

800 meter run
1st – GRADUATED – Vilonia
2nd – Alex Ebmeyer – Vilonia - 2:03.84 (800/4x8)
3rd – GRADUATED – Alma
4th – GRADUATED – Alma
5th – Zack Mann – Vilonia – 2:05.96 (4x8/4x4/1600)
6th – GRADUATED – Vilonia
7th – Hayden Woods – Alma – 2:08.40 (4x8)

Incoming sophomores – Kyle Rankins – Alma – 2:20.60
Brody Thompson – Alma – 2:23.33

Incoming Sophomores – Donny Nash – Vilonia – 2:22.82

1600 meter run
1st – GRADUATED – Alma
2nd – Zach Bowling – Vilonia – 4:44.79 (3200)
4th – Zack Mann – Vilonia – 4:53.81 (800)
5th – Andrew Maness – Alma – 4:57.08 (none)
7th – Andy Hanna – Alma – 5:02.70 (3200)
17th – Jonathan Summers – Vilonia – 5:21.80 (3200)
21st – Nathanel Mickelson – Alma – 5:35.94 (none)

Incoming sophomores – Mason Sims – Alma – 5:44.34

Incoming Sophomores – Jacob Bowling – Vilonia – 5:11.83
Matthew Brosky – Vilonia – 5:23.85

3200 meter run
1st – Zach Bowling – Vilonia – 10:52.61 (1600)
2nd – James Batura – Alma – 11:03.18 (4x8)
5th – Andy Hanna – Alma – 11:23.06 (1600)
6th – Jonathan Summers – Vilonia – 11:31.88 (1600)
7th – GRADUATED – Vilonia
8th – Kody Van Pelt – Vilonia – 11:40.65 (none)
9th – Cody Combes – Alma – 11:43.13 (none)
10th – GRADUATED – Alma

Jr. high doesn't run 3200

AT

110 hurdles
1st – James Sax – Vilonia – 15.22 (100/200/4x1/300h/long)
2nd – GRADUATED – Alma
3rd – Nixon Rivera – Alma – 16.60 (300h)
4th – GRADUATED – Alma
5th – MOVED – Alma
6th – GRADUATED – Vilonia
9th – GRADUATED – Vilonia

Incoming sophomores – Derek Spain – Alma – 17.29
Tim Pearson – Alma – 19.21
Mathew Farrar – Alma – 21.00

Incoming Sophomores – none that I can see

ADVANTAGE – Alma because of sophomores

300 hurdles
1st – James Sax – Vilonia – 40.34 (100/200/4x1/100h/long)
2nd – GRADUATED – Alma
3rd – Brooks Maulden – Alma – 42.96 (100h)
4th – MOVED – Alma
5th – Kyle Moore – Vilonia – 43.44 (triple/high)
8th – GRADUATED – Vilonia
9th – GRADUATED – Alma
11th – Brandon Walters – Vilonia – 49.56 (none)

Incoming sophomores – Mathew Farrar – Alma – 48.80
Tim Pearson – Alma – 49.25

Incoming sophomores – Jake Steward – Vilonia – 45.36

4 x 100 meter relay
2nd – Alma – Loses 2 members
6th – Vilonia – Loses 3 members

4 x 400 meter relay
1st – Vilonia – Loses 2 members
2nd – Alma – Loses 3 members

4 x 800 meter relay
1st – Vilonia – Loses 2 members
2nd – Alma – Loses 2 members

InYoGrill

AT, you putting in your homework aren't you? Good job. Looks to be a battle this year between the two.

RATTLER43

This is one of my favorite aspects of my coaching. I love projecting my team and other teams so as to find weaknesses and areas in which I can attack.  Keep up the good work and Merry Christmas!

AT

Quote from: InYoGrill on December 23, 2010, 11:17:33 pm
AT, you putting in your homework aren't you? Good job. Looks to be a battle this year between the two.

Thanks IYG. I used directathletics.com which is what most high schools use for meets. Actually it may be a AAA rule? Rattler, do you know if thats true?

And yes, I suspect a very tight battle this year. We were told the last couple years that Vilonia would give us a run for our money, and we stepped up and didn't let it be very close. This year, I think no matter how pumped up the Airedales are, Vilonia will be there til the very end.

RATTLER43

Not a rule but easiest way for all school to enter meets and it go straight into the FAT set-up. I still send entries to Paris, Mansfield, etc. Most meets we attend use Directathletics.

AT

Quote from: RATTLER43 on December 27, 2010, 06:40:52 pm
Not a rule but easiest way for all school to enter meets and it go straight into the FAT set-up. I still send entries to Paris, Mansfield, etc. Most meets we attend use Directathletics.

Oh okay. Where is your first outdoor meet Rattler?

RATTLER43

Have not completed my outdoor schedule, yet. Last year we began with Van Buren and Paris early. Danville came in week three. What about Alma?

RATTLER43

We use the first two to try and qualify. We will try to win the Danville meet.

RATTLER43

Hoping Coach Mac schedules a "last chance" meet like he did last year. It got canceled due to massive thunderstorms but it would have allowed my final discus thrower an opportunity to get in.

RATTLER43

Indoor meet in two weeks.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas