• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2018 Outlook: The Frest Start......again.

Started by AirWarren, December 06, 2017, 01:49:46 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

gameoflife

What is the reasonable expectation for the Auburn game?  I don't see any chance of a win and I'm not expecting us to look very good.   
With Storey starting, the expectations and pressure on him are going to be great.  Is it possible to meet these?  Maybe we should be sitting back and waiting until Ole Miss, Tulsa, Vandy to see if we have any improvement?

AirWarren

Quote from: gameoflife on September 18, 2018, 09:21:33 am
What is the reasonable expectation for the Auburn game?  I don't see any chance of a win and I'm not expecting us to look very good.   
With Storey starting, the expectations and pressure on him are going to be great.  Is it possible to meet these?  Maybe we should be sitting back and waiting until Ole Miss, Tulsa, Vandy to see if we have any improvement?

I just want us to get into the endzone. That would be an vast improvement.

Remotely, just be able to run the dang ball.

gameoflife

Well we've been in the endzone.  I'm not sure how well we will run the ball against Auburn.  I thought the original problem was centered around QB play, slow, not good decisions.  Then the OL was exposed and defense against NT.  Also our ability to finish. 
I think the whole thing has been worse than suspected from day one. Even with some improvement, the caliber of opponents is getting much better.

AirWarren

Quote from: gameoflife on September 18, 2018, 10:43:08 am
Well we've been in the endzone.  I'm not sure how well we will run the ball against Auburn.  I thought the original problem was centered around QB play, slow, not good decisions.  Then the OL was exposed and defense against NT.  Also our ability to finish. 
I think the whole thing has been worse than suspected from day one. Even with some improvement, the caliber of opponents is getting much better.

Maybe see some fire in some of our kids.

I started rewatching the game yesterday. I saw a lot of trash talking and mouthing by what we are supposed to see as "senior leaders". If you are getting your Arse slapped around by North Texas, you need to shut up and just play the game. There is some bad seeds on this team.

bdubyab60

Keeping it within 60.

As far as any other game. Until we show improvement I wouldn't come close to counting any one of them as win

AirWarren

Clint Stoerner telling it like it is on the radio.

Instead of crying about the boos at the press conference, you need to be crying about the fact that North Texas skull drug you.

bdubyab60

Quote from: AirWarren on September 18, 2018, 11:31:28 am
Clint Stoerner telling it like it is on the radio.

Instead of crying about the boos at the press conference, you need to be crying about the fact that North Texas skull drug you.
Bingo

gameoflife

Quote from: AirWarren on September 18, 2018, 10:49:53 am
Maybe see some fire in some of our kids.

I started rewatching the game yesterday. I saw a lot of trash talking and mouthing by what we are supposed to see as "senior leaders". If you are getting your Arse slapped around by North Texas, you need to shut up and just play the game. There is some bad seeds on this team.

I heard other people saying the same about players trash talking while getting drummed.  That's a sure sign of trouble with the character of the team.  To get better you have to recognize where the problem lies.  We are stuck with some lower level talent for a couple of years, but they could put more into it.  Its going to take some hard work and not settling for poor effort by coaches.

sportsguy80

I'm hearing from so many fans and sports analysts that the possibility of winning another game this season is slim to none. While I think we have a chance at beating Tulsa and maybe another team (Ole Miss or Vandy) depends on how much we improve week to week starting with a really good Auburn team. The coaches have got to put our players in better position for an effective offense which helps at times a solid defense. I would even play some of the younger guys just to see if it brings a spark. We are so slow at almost every position on offense which isn't helping the "fast lane" at all. If we don't fix things in a timely manner, I wouldn't wanna see how our attendance will be for the rest of our home games.

bdubyab60

Well look at it like this. For those who think we may have a slight chance against Ole miss. We play them the game after Bama, how healthy are we gonna be after that game. Then it's Tulsa after chasin OMs receivers. So not much of a break for a bad team.

I'm mean Auburn, A&M and Bama all in a row. I imagine our confidence will be through the roof when we finally get to Tulsa. Who by the way played two teams that are probably as good as NT pretty tough.

Miracles happen though

gameoflife

This has been a bad deal from the start.  We waited too long to hire a coach. We lack talent, our recruiting is lacking at this point, we have some committments but not blue chip signees.  I heard Coach Morris say his message to recruits was the same as to the team.  How do you face adversity?  Problem is the current team players are in the fire, they helped create it.  A recruit is not in the fire and I'm pretty sure they tell you to run away from fire not into it.  Why would top level recruits come to us if things are as bad as they seem to be? 

bigworm

That guy is a moron. There have been plenty of terrible losses by sec teams.

bdubyab60

Yeah but most of the time it's an upset. Like Toledo against us, bama losing to ULM and so on. But not two in a row and getting you butt handed to you at home basically 44-10, minus the last minute run when scrubs were in.

Clay says some bold things all the time.

We looked horrible Saturday and if your aren't or weren't embarrassed by it then you don't care imo. I'm much less worried about what folks are saying now because most of them aren't wrong.

We have a long way to go

bdubyab60

Quote from: gameoflife on September 18, 2018, 08:50:09 pm
This has been a bad deal from the start.  We waited too long to hire a coach. We lack talent, our recruiting is lacking at this point, we have some committments but not blue chip signees.  I heard Coach Morris say his message to recruits was the same as to the team.  How do you face adversity?  Problem is the current team players are in the fire, they helped create it.  A recruit is not in the fire and I'm pretty sure they tell you to run away from fire not into it.  Why would top level recruits come to us if things are as bad as they seem to be?
Yes we waited to long because they wanted Gus. Instead of just offering the guy they guy played.

We are currently at 16-17 in recruiting ranking with 19 commits. Expect us to oversign to 25 or more if the recruits are there. Also still some highly rated guys we are on. Need a few more OL in the class. So expect some guys to transfer or be told to transfer. Dead weight and trouble makers will be cut to keep the boat afloat and should be.

Firemen run in to fires. That's the kind of guys we need. We need guys that say I can go there and play now and I can turn that thing around.

gameoflife

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 19, 2018, 06:24:23 am
Yes we waited to long because they wanted Gus. Instead of just offering the guy they guy played.

We are currently at 16-17 in recruiting ranking with 19 commits. Expect us to oversign to 25 or more if the recruits are there. Also still some highly rated guys we are on. Need a few more OL in the class. So expect some guys to transfer or be told to transfer. Dead weight and trouble makers will be cut to keep the boat afloat and should be.

Firemen run in to fires. That's the kind of guys we need. We need guys that say I can go there and play now and I can turn that thing around.

I don't think any or our recruits are trained fire fighters.  A good player may come in to get a shot to play here because he will not get a starting shot at a better place.   You cannot expect a lot of blue chippers to come into a dumpster fire.  Also I heard on the radio sportsshow that we have some committments and show signees.  Our rank of 17 is based mostly on commits not signees.  I'm pretty sure of what I heard.

gameoflife

The problems we find ourselves in include:
Wrong hires for several years. Petrino had issues.  Bielema was not a good fit for SEC.  Morris has little experience at this level or as a HC.
Poor recruiting results. Petrino didn't leave us well off, Bielima obviously didn't leave us in great shape, Morris was not able to bring in guys to help immediately.

RZback

Interesting note.
According to rankings last year, there were at least 4 coaches on the UA search list that ranked higher than Morris.  Malzahn was of course the top pick (wish) and Mike Norvel, Dave Doeren, Mike Leach, all ranked higher.  So why? 
Is this the problem.  Leach seemed like a good pick according to an article I read, he had done rebuilds a Texas Tech and Washington.  Washington is on the way to its 4 winning season in a row with Leach.  In contrast Washington had one winning season in the last 15 years and a long history of losing prior.

bdubyab60

Quote from: gameoflife on September 19, 2018, 11:24:28 am
I don't think any or our recruits are trained fire fighters.  A good player may come in to get a shot to play here because he will not get a starting shot at a better place.   You cannot expect a lot of blue chippers to come into a dumpster fire.  Also I heard on the radio sportsshow that we have some committments and show signees.  Our rank of 17 is based mostly on commits not signees.  I'm pretty sure of what I heard.
No one has any signees until December. Yeah you won't get many but maybe it's enough to start building on. Vandy was one of the worst programs in the nation until Franklin got there. He made them somewhat respectable.

It's gonna take tome for sure unless we wanna go the route of Ole Miss

bdubyab60

Quote from: gameoflife on September 19, 2018, 11:27:25 am
The problems we find ourselves in include:
Wrong hires for several years. Petrino had issues.  Bielema was not a good fit for SEC.  Morris has little experience at this level or as a HC.
Poor recruiting results. Petrino didn't leave us well off, Bielima obviously didn't leave us in great shape, Morris was not able to bring in guys to help immediately.
Well BP didn't leave of his own accord but mostly his own doing. Many are still bad at Jeff Long about that

bdubyab60

Quote from: RZback on September 19, 2018, 12:10:32 pm
Interesting note.
According to rankings last year, there were at least 4 coaches on the UA search list that ranked higher than Morris.  Malzahn was of course the top pick (wish) and Mike Norvel, Dave Doeren, Mike Leach, all ranked higher.  So why? 
Is this the problem.  Leach seemed like a good pick according to an article I read, he had done rebuilds a Texas Tech and Washington.  Washington is on the way to its 4 winning season in a row with Leach.  In contrast Washington had one winning season in the last 15 years and a long history of losing prior.
Not to mention Kiffen

gameoflife

I think the problem was we wanted a Gus clone.

AirWarren

Quote from: gameoflife on September 19, 2018, 02:33:22 pm
I think the problem was we wanted a Gus clone.

I personally wanted to throw the money at Bob Stoops. Or Mike Leach.

gameoflife

I thought Leach or Norvel were good.  I know Norvell didn't have lots of HC experience but he had been an OC for a while and had some nice records. Plus his Memphis record was outstanding.

sportsguy80

Quote from: AirWarren on September 19, 2018, 03:37:55 pm
I personally wanted to throw the money at Bob Stoops. Or Mike Leach.
I was wanting Stoops after he announced he was leaving. Just to see all of these OU faithfuls facial expressions would have been priceless.

bdubyab60

I didn't want Gus, he's a good coach. Just something about him I can't put my finger on.

I was down with Kiffen or Leach. Except throwing a kid in a shed Leach has won everywhere he has been. And I thought Kiffen would be able to recruit anywhere.

Morris was said to be a great recruiter, right now I'd say it's a B grade. As far as coaching it's and F right now. Not just from the product on the field but great and good coaches can galvanize a team and get that effort out of his players.

I've seen a lot statements here and there saying this team wants to win. I have not seen that effort in the field. Just like JC calling out the fans for booing and saying CK is his brother. It rings hollow to me when you are a senior and have caught like two passes in three games and been pulled from returning punts for poor fielding of them. Play for your brothers, prove the folks that booed wrong.

Morris get control of the team. Improve it and build on it.

Valleysports

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 19, 2018, 06:24:23 amWe are currently at 16-17 in recruiting ranking with 19 commits. Expect us to over sign to 25 or more if the recruits are there.

Arkansas - Ranked 23,  Total: 19  5*:0,  4*:4, 3*:15

Actually I'm surprised, our 2019 class is now ranked 7th in the SEC West.

bdubyab60

September 19, 2018, 09:27:12 pm #527 Last Edit: September 19, 2018, 09:30:07 pm by bdubyab60
Quote from: Valleysports on September 19, 2018, 08:53:37 pm

All depends on which rankings you look at. Some have us with 7 4*.

And even then these will change as the season goes. At one time it would have been 8 but supposedly one player didn't go to camps so he dropped.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on September 19, 2018, 08:53:37 pm

And it is crazy that you can have such a good class and be middle and lower in the SEC. just shows where kids want to play

bdubyab60

Also saw another statistic about impact players or something like that for the SEC. so basically 4/5* recruits. This is from 2015-2018. Hogs had 13-15 depending on the site which put them 10th or 11th. Something like that.

BAMA had 62, just to show the gap

gameoflife

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 19, 2018, 09:41:06 pm
Also saw another statistic about impact players or something like that for the SEC. so basically 4/5* recruits. This is from 2015-2018. Hogs had 13-15 depending on the site which put them 10th or 11th. Something like that.

BAMA had 62, just to show the gap

This is what we lack in, recruiting.  Arkansans don't seem to understand that UA is not a hot spot for top recruits.  If you live here you probably love Arkansas.  If you don't live in Arkansas you likely don't care a thing in the world about Arkansas or finding out. The low number of D1 major recruits is not enough to get us where we want to be.  We have to get all those from Arkansas and many more from outside. Where are the top players in the country coming from?  Look at the rosters of top SEC teams, where do they get their recruits?

beach bum

It amazes me we are to the point as a program where we paid North Texas 1 million dollars to come whoop up on us.

AirWarren

Quote from: beach bum on September 20, 2018, 10:48:01 am
It amazes me we are to the point as a program where we paid North Texas 1 million dollars to come whoop up on us.

No senior leaders. Or any leaders for that matter.

bleudog

bigworm

Quote from: gameoflife on September 20, 2018, 10:20:41 am
This is what we lack in, recruiting.  Arkansans don't seem to understand that UA is not a hot spot for top recruits.  If you live here you probably love Arkansas.  If you don't live in Arkansas you likely don't care a thing in the world about Arkansas or finding out. The low number of D1 major recruits is not enough to get us where we want to be.  We have to get all those from Arkansas and many more from outside. Where are the top players in the country coming from?  Look at the rosters of top SEC teams, where do they get their recruits?

Exactly.   Morris has already plucked a couple of kids from other sec states with offers from everywhere. That was before he had ever coached a single game. If he can show signs of improvement i honestly think he can get it done recruitong.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: bigworm on September 20, 2018, 01:22:36 pm
Exactly.   Morris has already plucked a couple of kids from other sec states with offers from everywhere. That was before he had ever coached a single game. If he can show signs of improvement i honestly think he can get it done recruitong.

What level recruits were they?

bigworm

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Collin-Clay-104520/RecruitInterests/

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Mataio-Soli-112983/RecruitInterests/

https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Shamar-Nash-103683/RecruitInterests/

Open the pages and click on "complete offer list". These guys have offers from everywhere. That dont mean they can play but in my opinion its a great start considering none of them are from here. Just gotta keep em committed and sign em.

RZback

The big reveal is how many 3* are on our list currently.  I notice Alabama didn't have a lot of names, but looked like most all were 4* and 5*.  So there is where the bar is set if we want to contend for a SEC title and beyond.   

Valleysports

September 21, 2018, 04:09:30 pm #538 Last Edit: September 21, 2018, 04:11:41 pm by Valleysports
Quote from: RZback on September 21, 2018, 08:58:28 am
The big reveal is how many 3* are on our list currently.  I notice Alabama didn't have a lot of names, but looked like most all were 4* and 5*.  So there is where the bar is set if we want to contend for a SEC title and beyond.

Alabama has 20 - 4*
A&M has 14 - 4*

A&M just moved ahead of Bama as #2, behind Georgia.  All 3 are neck-n-neck 1, 2, 3...

bleudog

bdubyab60

Some good news. Still #1 on sportscenter not top 10

bigworm

Quote from: RZback on September 21, 2018, 08:58:28 am

It will take some winning and freat recruiting but i dont see why in the world we couldn't do it. I mean Clemson has been built to what they are. They arent the hostorical powerhouse. Dabo made em what they are.

RZback

Quote from: bigworm on September 22, 2018, 12:20:45 pm
It will take some winning and freat recruiting but i dont see why in the world we couldn't do it. I mean Clemson has been built to what they are. They arent the hostorical powerhouse. Dabo made em what they are.

Clemsom had only had 1 losing season in 15 years before Dabo took over for Bowden.  They were not in the same kind of shape UA is currently in.  Mostly winning program for decades.  Its like saying both programs were in a hole.  Ours unfortunately looks like a bottomless pit in comparison.  We have so much work to do and this year is going to make it even harder if something doesn't change.

Valleysports

What's the transfer situation with Arkansas?  I read last year's leading receiver, Nance, has had enough.

bigworm

He is beilemas boy. If saban had been hired as the new coach it would be no different. There would be a few that couldn't play for him. Just the nature of a coaching change.

bdubyab60

Quote from: Valleysports on September 29, 2018, 06:57:45 am
What's the transfer situation with Arkansas?  I read last year's leading receiver, Nance, has had enough.
Expect more. Roster needs turned over. Leading receiver who has caught maybe 5 passes all year. I wish him luck wherever he goes but it looks like we need this turnover.

Many are saying Hogs will sign need to sign close to 29 this year from what I've been reading. The new transfer rule is gonna help the players and Higs are in complete reboot anyway

bdubyab60

I'm just wondering if it's to early to start drinking for this game

Ctucker

Quote from: bdubyab60 on September 29, 2018, 09:01:48 am
I'm just wondering if it's to early to start drinking for this game
Never too early this year!

bdubyab60

RZback

What's the latest line?  I last saw about 17 pts favoring A&M.
I'm afraid it will be more like 30.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas