• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Best running back in 5A this year

Started by PA Dad, November 24, 2015, 11:45:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

5A has a large number of really good running backs this year.  Who's the best?

I have not seen nearly all of them.  I'll miss some good ones.  But, I nominate Crockett, Floyd, Clark, Watkins, Strong and Trip Smith.  Wyrick would be on this list if he hadn't been injured.  I know Lakeside had two good ones, but I don't know their names.

I'll give my choice later.  I don't want to vote yet because I know there are others I am missing.

Maynard G Krebs

Not sure if there is a wrong choice of those offered up thus far.  But pound for pound, inch by inch, my vote goes to Watkins.

MDXPHD

Could you list the school each plays for? And maybe if they are committed anywhere yet?

InYoGrill

Farmington has a really good back themselves. Forgot the name. And the same for Maumelle, gosh he is fast and shifty. Those 2 and Crockett are probably the best 3 in the west this year.

I'd probably even break this down into best in each conference and overall for 5A. I'm sure each conference has a couple or more that were really exciting to watch this season. Good thread to recognize some kids that take a licking and keep on ticking.  ;D

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: PA Dad on November 24, 2015, 11:45:39 pm

I have not seen nearly all of them.  I'll miss some good ones.  But, I nominate Crockett, Floyd, Clark, Watkins, Strong and Trip Smith.  Wyrick would be on this list if he hadn't been injured.  I know Lakeside had two good ones, but I don't know their names.

I'll give my choice later.  I don't want to vote yet because I know there are others I am missing.

Crockett - LRC- Boise State
Floyd- Hot Springs High- ?
Watkins- PA - junior
Strong-McClellan-?
not real sure on the others

Intelligentsia

Quote from: Maynard G Krebs on November 25, 2015, 08:47:59 am

Watkins- PA - junior
Strong-McClellan-?

I think Clark is the kid at Blytheville - a junior and the best I've seen play against Batesville this year.  Not very big at a listed 5'8", but very strong and very fast!   I don't know how many yards he ended with this year, but it had to be a bunch.

FootballTime44

The best running backs I seen this year were
Colt Housley from Lakeside
Trey Cole from Watson Chapel
Clark from Blytheville
And Watkins from PA. 

RamFan06

The two from Lakeside are Housley and Bradford. Housley is the true RB, Bradford is more of a WR who they ran a lot. Housley is a power runner, he isnt going to beat you with moves or outright speed but he is able to run over people and carry 8 or 9 guys an extra 5 yards. He isnt the best overall back I have seen this year but for sure the best power runner.

Neither one is committed anywhere yet but both have offers from Henderson and other GAC schools. Bradford has been offered spots at multiple Ivy league schools as well. Housley has had contact from D1 FCS schools but no offer as of 2 weeks ago, the last time I talked to him about it.

Titan Spirit

Strong McClellan - best I have seen by far
he is a junior

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: RamFan06 on November 25, 2015, 09:30:51 am
The two from Lakeside are Housley and Bradford. Housley is the true RB, Bradford is more of a WR who they ran a lot. Housley is a power runner, he isnt going to beat you with moves or outright speed but he is able to run over people and carry 8 or 9 guys an extra 5 yards. He isnt the best overall back I have seen this year but for sure the best power runner.

Neither one is committed anywhere yet but both have offers from Henderson and other GAC schools. Bradford has been offered spots at multiple Ivy league schools as well. Housley has had contact from D1 FCS schools but no offer as of 2 weeks ago, the last time I talked to him about it.

nice

Overdahill

At Lakeside senior night they announced that Bradford was going to Cornell and major in Engineering. Pretty impressive. The guy can really play ball too

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Overdahill on November 25, 2015, 10:10:10 am

At Lakeside senior night they announced that Bradford was going to Cornell and major in Engineering. Pretty impressive. The guy can really play ball too

Ed Marinaro's alma mater.  I just gave it away that I'm old by knowing that.  Congrats to the young man.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: InYoGrill on November 25, 2015, 08:46:34 am

Farmington has a really good back themselves. Forgot the name. And the same for Maumelle, gosh he is fast and shifty. Those 2 and Crockett are probably the best 3 in the west this year.

I'd probably even break this down into best in each conference and overall for 5A. I'm sure each conference has a couple or more that were really exciting to watch this season. Good thread to recognize some kids that take a licking and keep on ticking.  ;D

I can't remember the kid's name from Farmington either, but he was a complete back.  Big, physical, explosive to the second level, and pretty good hands.  He also had pretty good speed.

The kid from Maumelle is Jacob Acklin.  He is very fast, and has excellent vision, cutting ability, and good hands.  His only knock is that he's only about 5'7".  He got banged up some this year, but gutted it out all season and had a great year.  He won't get the same type of recognition because we only went 3-7, but he'll be playing on Saturdays.  I think he's already taken an OV to Georgia Southern, but I don't know what other visits he has lined up.

PA Dad

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 25, 2015, 08:30:37 am
Could you list the school each plays for? And maybe if they are committed anywhere yet?

Crockett - LRC
Floyd - Hot Springs
Clark - Blytheville
Watkins - PA
Strong - McClellan
Trip Smith - Beebe
Wyrick is also at Beebe.

PA Dad

That kid from Maumelle reminds me a lot of Watkins.  Small but very quick and shifty.  Good running back.

PA Dad

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 25, 2015, 09:11:35 am

Watkins- PA - junior
Strong-McClellan-?

I think Clark is the kid at Blytheville - a junior and the best I've seen play against Batesville this year.  Not very big at a listed 5'8", but very strong and very fast!   I don't know how many yards he ended with this year, but it had to be a bunch.

I didn't get to see him play, but I read and heard a lot of good things about him.  Maybe I'll get to see him next year.

PA Dad

I like the idea of naming the best in each conference.  We'll never come up with a consensus "best" because there are just too many good ones.

From Central, I'd say Strong at McClellan, Watkins at PA, and Trip Smith at Beebe.

Fballfan05

Justice Hobbs is the back from Farmington. Very physical and good player. The west had 3 very good backs in Crockett acklin and Hobbs, and Morrilton had some injury problems there but had multiple backs that played very well.

Yellowcake

Crockett is really good.
I have seen Bradford play twice this year. Doesn't play running back all the time, but for all around versatility and play making, he is awesome.
Watkins is a speed demon, and fun to watch.

the voice

The Hobbs kid had some 300 or 400 yard games, he will be a beast next year. They had some big lineman also.

Youngsta71701

November 26, 2015, 08:07:35 am #20 Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 08:10:29 am by Youngsta71701
D.J. Franklin- Camden Fairview, All-Purpose Back, Quarterback
Kimonte Wilson- Camden Fairview, Halfback, Quarterback

Their stats didn't get posted until after the season so nobody knew about them. Yeah, I know. Crazy huh? ???
If anyone of these kids played in an offense like PA's, LRC's, or Batesville's it would have been unfair to the opponent.
Get these two kids out in space and it's over.

PA Dad

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 26, 2015, 08:07:35 am

Their stats didn't get posted until after the season so nobody knew about them. Yeah, I know. Crazy huh? ???
If anyone of these kids played in an offense like PA's, LRC's, or Batesville's it would have been unfair to the opponent.

Stats are misleading.  I don't know what Watkins' stats are, but I know he could have doubled his rushing yards if he'd played all of the time.  In most games, he didn't play at all in the second half.  So I'm more interested in your assessment than the stats.

Are these kids coming back next year?

wildboy44

Both are seniors..Cant speak for Wilson. Franklin has several offers in Football and several in Baseball.

Youngsta71701

November 26, 2015, 01:16:08 pm #23 Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 01:20:03 pm by Youngsta71701
Quote from: PA Dad on November 26, 2015, 11:47:18 am

Ok, forget the stats then. They past the eye test. They are two of the best football players in the state of Arkansas period. Just played for a questionable coaching staff. And questionable is me being nice. ;)

Stats are misleading.  I don't know what Watkins' stats are, but I know he could have doubled his rushing yards if he'd played all of the time.  In most games, he didn't play at all in the second half.  So I'm more interested in your assessment than the stats.

Ok then, forget the stats. They past the eye test. They are two of the best football players in the state of Arkansas period. They just played for an at best questionable coaching staff this year. And questionable is me putting it in a nice way. ;) Most Cardinal fans know how I really feel. Especially about the DC.

PA Dad

Quote from: Youngsta71701 on November 26, 2015, 01:16:08 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on November 26, 2015, 11:47:18 am

Ok, forget the stats then. They past the eye test. They are two of the best football players in the state of Arkansas period. Just played for a questionable coaching staff. And questionable is me being nice. ;)

Ok then, forget the stats. They past the eye test. They are two of the best football players in the state of Arkansas period. They just played for an at best questionable coaching staff this year. And questionable is me putting it in a nice way. ;) Most Cardinal fans know how I really feel. Especially about the DC.

That's high praise for the kids.  I'm sorry I didn't get to see them play.

I hope CF gets its issues worked out.   It just isn't the same if CF isn't in the hunt come playoff time.

PA Dad

I'm going with a homer vote.  Jaren Watkins rushed for almost 500 yards in the last two games against very good defenses.  I concede that he has the advantage of running behind a very good offensive line, but he gets a lot of yards on his own after clearing the line.

We all tend to favor players we have seen and I've already confessed it's a homer pick.  I'm glad we have him back next year.

5A was well stocked with several really good running backs this year.

Chief-Chickasaw

Quote from: PA Dad on November 25, 2015, 10:30:03 am

Watkins- PA - junior
Strong-McClellan-?

I didn't get to see him play, but I read and heard a lot of good things about him.  Maybe I'll get to see him next year.
Clark is a beast very very strong about 5-8 190.  Bench presses 300+, squats 450+, 40 inch vertical jump, 4.4 40, ran a 10.67 100 as a 10th grader. I believe he ended the year with close to 1621 yards on the season and 199 yards against Hope in the playoffs.  Kids a stud.

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: the voice on November 26, 2015, 06:14:43 am
The Hobbs kid had some 300 or 400 yard games, he will be a beast next year. They had some big lineman also.

Wait, he's not a senior?  That means the West will have to deal with him again next year....great.

He needs to be touching the ball 25-30 times a game. 

PA Dad

Quote from: Chief-Chickasaw on December 02, 2015, 02:49:27 pm
Quote from: PA Dad on November 25, 2015, 10:30:03 am

Watkins- PA - junior
Strong-McClellan-?

Clark is a beast very very strong about 5-8 190.  Bench presses 300+, squats 450+, 40 inch vertical jump, 4.4 40, ran a 10.67 100 as a 10th grader. I believe he ended the year with close to 1621 yards on the season and 199 yards against Hope in the playoffs.  Kids a stud.

At least we don't have to worry about stopping him unless we meet in the playoffs!

Devil Dog 17

I saw three very good running backs this year. My order would be 1. Strong, 2. The running back from Farmington, he was a stud.  3. Crocket. Just my two cents worth.

PA Dad

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 04, 2015, 01:51:12 pm
I saw three very good running backs this year. My order would be 1. Strong, 2. The running back from Farmington, he was a stud.  3. Crocket. Just my two cents worth.

Those are all good picks.

Who is your third pick from the West?

PercussionMan

Quote from: Devil Dog 17 on December 04, 2015, 01:51:12 pm

Strong is very tough....I think Crockett is probably just as tough, and maybe even harder to tackle in open space and at full speed....Hobbs from Farmington is very tough as well, but I don't think he had near the stats that the other two had.

Chief-Chickasaw

I finally found a highlight tape of Blytheville's JR RB Demekko Clark if anyone who missed him wants to take a look.  This kid is as good as advertised.

Sorry this is a home made one. I prefer the coaches made ones on huddle but this is the only one I have found so far.

Chip

Demekko Clark was the best back that I saw this year.

Grond

December 16, 2015, 05:01:09 pm #34 Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 08:19:51 pm by Grond
Quote from: Chip on December 15, 2015, 04:02:47 pm
Demekko Clark was the best back that I saw this year.

Ditto. Clark looked good, especially his burst speed.

tmycjy

Watkins- PA - junior
Strong-McClellan-?

I don't know on Crockett Wynne played LRC and what I seen he look like  he was going sideline to sideline when we played him not say he not good I was just not impressed with him

farmcardmom

Justice Hobbs was the name of the running back from Farmington and yes, he is a stud!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas