• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Common Opponents

Started by MDXPHD, November 23, 2015, 07:42:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MDXPHD

LRC, PA, and Batesville have all played Wynne. The scores were:

PA    35-21
LRC  49-21
Batesville 31-14

PA dominated the second half after struggling in the first, but it was the second game of the season. The Batesville game could have been a little worse, but Batesville dropped two wide open td's and also had a player fall down with nobody in between him and the end zone.

LRC and Batesville played Greenbrier:

LRC beat Greenbrier 43-42 and had to come back from 21 down or so, I think. Batesville beat Greenbrier 40-14.

LRC and McClellan played Morrilton: LRC beat Morrilton 49-21 and McClellan beat Morrilton 52-50.

PA beat McClellan 41-30, but the game was not this close.  So I'm not going to discuss their common opponents.

LRC and PA both played Vilonia: PA beat Vilonia 56-14 while LRC beat Vilonia 40-23.

I'm probably missing some other common opponents, but just a quick search and I found the above. I'm not really sure why everyone says PA and LRC are by far the two best teams, because it looks like Batesville has held their own against the common opponents between them. Common opponents usually don't mean much though and every game is about match ups.

I have seen PA, McClellan, and Batesville play, and I think Batesville can play with any of them, but I'm biased. Batesville's strategy is built to beat a team like PA or LRC, with an offense that sustains long drives and doesn't make many mistakes, combined with a solid defense. Batesville limits the other teams possessions. PA and LRC might very well be the top two teams in the 5A, but I'm not convinced Batesville can't beat either yet. Of course, Batesville still has to get past McClellan to get the chance. Although I keep trying to bait McClellan posters in the game thread, I know it will be a good game and either team could win.

walkingguy72396

For now, With out really knowing the stats I venture that LRC kept Wynne in check more than PA or Batesville. 

PA recovering those onside kicks the major part in them winning that game.  Batesvilles goal line stand and the fake punt and all the rest that occurred on that possession sealed the deal for them.

When Wynne faced a team whose passing is a major part of their offense.  I'd say at least 3 throws a game that Wynne got lucky the ball was dropped or was not catch-able.

It looks like the fearless friday rankings for  PA and LRC are dead on so far.

the voice

I see some things one could take from looking at common opponents, in the case involving pa it's not as accurate, the reason being in my opinion is they don't use the same strategy to win most others do. Old time football is hold the ball and limit possessions and most of the time it works. Theirs is score and get ball back and score again to put pressure on offense to keep up.

I do think that although batesville isn't the powerful team it has been in the past , this years team is capable and experienced in big games. I think they can win this week and next if things go their way. I don't think they'll be favored to do so. No disrespect toward batesville at all.

In common opponents, as far as greenbrier and LRC go , no offense to greenbrier but that was probably the one time in ten tries they get the advantage on this years LRC team. Those teams were not that evenly matched. One played their best and the other had a horrible half.

As for LRM , they have a good running attack with RB and when they option their QB is capable as well. IMO the way to beat they is with a mixed attack. They struggle against the pass. Especially playaction.  One can run on them also as we were able to with fill ins , however if you just swap scores you're playing their style. A good passing attack puts pressure on them.

Batesville can win this week and possibly next by playing good smart football and taking some chances at the right times on offense.

MDXPHD

Yeah, I know comparable scores really aren't indicative of how teams will play against each other, but it's always fun to look at. There are plenty of factors that play into each game, such as the time in the season it was played, injuries, turnovers, etc.

PA Dad

I have said, and I truly believe, that any of the four teams left can win it all.  I think the winner of the PA/LRC game will be favored, but Arkansas was favored to beat Miss. State too!

I think both this week's and next week's games will be highly competitive contests.

Highschoolfan

Quote from: MDXPHD on November 23, 2015, 07:42:17 am
LRC, PA, and Batesville have all played Wynne. The scores were:

PA    35-21
LRC  49-21
Batesville 31-14

PA dominated the second half after struggling in the first, but it was the second game of the season. The Batesville game could have been a little worse, but Batesville dropped two wide open td's and also had a player fall down with nobody in between him and the end zone.

LRC and Batesville played Greenbrier:

LRC beat Greenbrier 43-42 and had to come back from 21 down or so, I think. Batesville beat Greenbrier 40-14.

LRC and McClellan played Morrilton: LRC beat Morrilton 49-21 and McClellan beat Morrilton 52-50.

PA beat McClellan 41-30, but the game was not this close.  So I'm not going to discuss their common opponents.

LRC and PA both played Vilonia: PA beat Vilonia 56-14 while LRC beat Vilonia 40-23.

I'm probably missing some other common opponents, but just a quick search and I found the above. I'm not really sure why everyone says PA and LRC are by far the two best teams, because it looks like Batesville has held their own against the common opponents between them. Common opponents usually don't mean much though and every game is about match ups.

I have seen PA, McClellan, and Batesville play, and I think Batesville can play with any of them, but I'm biased. Batesville's strategy is built to beat a team like PA or LRC, with an offense that sustains long drives and doesn't make many mistakes, combined with a solid defense. Batesville limits the other teams possessions. PA and LRC might very well be the top two teams in the 5A, but I'm not convinced Batesville can't beat either yet. Of course, Batesville still has to get past McClellan to get the chance. Although I keep trying to bait McClellan posters in the game thread, I know it will be a good game and either team could win.

LRCA was beating vilonia 40-0 at halftime I was at the game. We put in our sophomores (basically the jv team) none of the starters played a down in the second half

JohnBarleycorn

PA and LRCA both played Sylvan Hills.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas