• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

PA vs LRC

Started by justalionfan, November 20, 2015, 09:05:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PA Dad

Quote from: Go Postal on November 22, 2015, 09:38:03 pm
On the seating problem.  When Harrison needs extra seating for a big game, we sometimes use our other sport's bleachers for the Stadium.  Does LRCA (or even borrowing from PA) have portable bleachers on their extra soccer pitches to use at the Warriors football field for this game?  Or even extra bleachers from the baseball diamonds?
  Just wondering since I see both town's boys and girls teams, along with Harrison's boys and girls teams, in the soccer playoffs each year so I thought that they must have extra soccer pitches with bleachers like we do. ;)

GO WEST!!

The one advantage LRC's field has over PA's is lots of standing room.  The East side of the visitor's bleachers has lots of room.  PA doesn't.  And there will be a ton of "standers" Friday unless the weather keeps lots of folks at home.

Go Postal

PA is pretty dang good at onside kicks, but they have been doing that for a long time and other teams now are pretty good at playing against it.  LRCA is no exception and will be watching for it which will give them shorter yardage to score.  If PA kicks a normal long kickoff, in this game, it will be harder and more yardage for the Warriors to move down the field to score.  Just a thought.

the voice

Well PA kicked a different style of onside kick against us every time, they used different formations and honestly never knew where it was going. Our coaches were ready for it. It definitely is something that has to be worked on. Although there was a slight rule change on the formations this year. So the same options aren't as many as before

PA Dad

November 22, 2015, 09:55:57 pm #53 Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 10:26:58 pm by PA Dad
Quote from: Go Postal on November 22, 2015, 09:48:04 pm
PA is pretty dang good at onside kicks, but they have been doing that for a long time and other teams now are pretty good at playing against it.  LRCA is no exception and will be watching for it which will give them shorter yardage to score.  If PA kicks a normal long kickoff, in this game, it will be harder and more yardage for the Warriors to move down the field to score.  Just a thought.

You're right that teams know it's coming.  But PA is just dang good at kicking it many different ways.  It might be a high bouncer that's a jump ball.  It might be a hard line drive that's hard to handle.  It might be a twister.

And, as Coach Kelley has explained, the numbers favor the onside kick.  On a deep kick, the ball is usually around the 35 yard line.  On an onside, it's about the 50.  So you're giving up about 15 yards.  But PA recovers about 20% of onside kicks which is basically a turnover.

I don't think you'll see a change in PA's strategy- they will onside kick against LRC.

Go Postal

Coach DePriest gave me a book about PA's strategy and how it works.   It was very interesting and Coach Kelley's logic is correct.  I keep forgetting that not every team has a kicker that can put the ball around the 5 yard line every time, but you would think that PA would have a soccer player around just for that.

PA Dad

Quote from: Go Postal on November 22, 2015, 10:03:45 pm
Coach DePriest gave me a book about PA's strategy and how it works.   It was very interesting and Coach Kelley's logic is correct.  I keep forgetting that not every team has a kicker that can put the ball around the 5 yard line every time, but you would think that PA would have a soccer player around just for that.

We actually have a kicker who can kick it to the goal line most of the time.  That does not change the strategy.  Coach Kelley sometimes puts great pressure on the PA defense, but Coach Wood's defense relishes that and is usually up to it.

I have to put a plug in for Coach Wood.  The PA offense gets most of the attention, but Coach Wood is a really good DC and the PA defense doesn't get enough credit.  It is a dang good defense.

(Ok, I'm through bragging for the night).

1936hog

People will be surprised with LRCAs defense. Their front 7 is physical and quick to the ball. Wynne fans can attest to that.

the voice

As others can as well. I spent last week trying to explain that to the Wynne posters. I wasn't being negative about their team just giving a heads up for what to expect. They are the best defense I've seen in a couple of years. I think they are gonna make a statement Friday. I'll not be surprised if they win it. They are very capable. LRC has the players to disrupt things. And that's easier said than done.

PA Pressbox

I've always heard that defense wins championships; so, I'm going to predict LRCA 21,  PA 16.
Of course, I also predicted a Razorback victory against Miss State.   :-\

PA Dad

Quote from: PA Pressbox on November 22, 2015, 11:26:30 pm
I've always heard that defense wins championships; so, I'm going to predict LRCA 21,  PA 16.

If LRC can hold PA to 16 points, I think they win.  I just don't think it's possible to do that.

MDXPHD

I'm not even sure why Batesville and McClellan are playing in the other game. After reading this thread, they should just postpone this game a week and let these two teams play at war memorial.

Chin Music

I've spoken with two coaches that have gone up against both teams.  They say that LRCA has the better players but PA has the better team.  They both think PA will win because they expect to win and LRCA hopes to win.

I've watched both teams over the years.  PA's line does not get enough credit.  I think that group makes the difference.  LRCA's "weakness" would be in the secondary.  They have minimized that by getting tremendous pressure on the QB.  The PA QB will make mistakes if pressured, but I think the PA O line does enough to let him have success.  I hope I'm wrong. 

#1jacketfan

Quote from: 1936hog on November 22, 2015, 10:26:41 pm
People will be surprised with LRCAs defense. Their front 7 is physical and quick to the ball. Wynne fans can attest to that.
Yes your right....all I heard was how good LRC offense was....people we're saying their not much on defense....well wrong! Their defense was one of the better defense that we've seen.....I don't know where they went out and found #72 but I'm telling that kid ain't playing around!

Lets Go

Unlike the game from 6 yrs ago, LRC will not be able to hide behind the knee deep mud, no matter what the weather is. While I don't think PA will mercy rule them they will win by 3 TDs.

AirWarren

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Intelligentsia on November 22, 2015, 09:43:36 pm
Quote from: Go Postal on November 22, 2015, 09:38:03 pm
On the seating problem.  When Harrison needs extra seating for a big game, we sometimes use our other sport's bleachers for the Stadium.  Does LRCA (or even borrowing from PA) have portable bleachers on their extra soccer pitches to use at the Warriors football field for this game?  Or even extra bleachers from the baseball diamonds?
  Just wondering since I see both town's boys and girls teams, along with Harrison's boys and girls teams, in the soccer playoffs each year so I thought that they must have extra soccer pitches with bleachers like we do. ;)

GO WEST!!

Makes sense - They could fit P.A.'s visitors bleachers in the back of a pickup and have them at LRC in 30 minutes:)

Too funny! But might be true! ;D

InYoGrill

Quote from: PA Dad on November 23, 2015, 06:53:18 am
Quote from: PA Pressbox on November 22, 2015, 11:26:30 pm

If LRC can hold PA to 16 points, I think they win.  I just don't think it's possible to do that.

16 pts??? Are you kidding? No way! This is a high scoring shootout. PA by 3 scores. PA's offense is on another planet.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Chin Music on November 23, 2015, 09:11:24 am
I've spoken with two coaches that have gone up against both teams.  They say that LRCA has the better players but PA has the better team.  They both think PA will win because they expect to win and LRCA hopes to win.   That is an awesome statement right there. +1

I've watched both teams over the years.  PA's line does not get enough credit.  I think that group makes the difference.  LRCA's "weakness" would be in the secondary.  They have minimized that by getting tremendous pressure on the QB.  The PA QB will make mistakes if pressured, but I think the PA O line does enough to let him have success.  I hope I'm wrong.

RD™

Pulling for a LR Christian victory. Coach Weaver knows who to call about beating Pulaski Academy. ;)

Lets Go

Quote from: RD™ on November 23, 2015, 01:34:46 pm
Pulling for a LR Christian victory. Coach Weaver knows who to call about beating Pulaski Academy. ;)
Surely not Greenwood! Pretty sure the last couple of meetings went PAs way.

InYoGrill

Hahaha.... You Troller PC!

Go Postal

Quote from: InYoGrill on November 23, 2015, 02:39:51 pm

Hahaha.... You Troller PC!
Still misses the 5A West.

Bruin Backer

Defense, even a "great" defense is seldom the key to beating PA. You have to out score them, which sounds overly obvious. Either the opposing team simply wins a shootout e.g., Greenwood or Shiloh games, or they keep the PA offense off of the field for much of the game, e.g., Cabot's 35-34 win. The PA offensive philosophy is that whatever a defense decides to defend against on a given play will be wrong. Hope had two very good defensive ends that took away the sweep and could rush the passer as well as any team PA faced this year. The result was that a 5'7", 150 lb. RB rushed for 278 yards right up the middle.

The same is true with the passing game. Regardless of the formation used, there is a long, medium and short option for every play, which the QB reads based on the secondary's positioning or the secondary's movement after the snap. Make one mistake in the secondary and PA will take advantage of it. Choose the wrong formation for the defensive line, and PA will find a play that exploits it. This has always been PA's philosophy, but some years they haven't had the players to make it work. This year, they have the skilled players in all of the key positions to do so.

Does this mean that LRCA has no chance of beating them? Of course not. What it means is that LRCA must focus on an offensive game plan that both scores a lot of points and limits PA's number of possessions. Neither team seems to care much about time of possession; they both like to score quickly and often. If LRCA can recover every onside kick, stop PA on a couple of fourth downs and avoid turnovers, they may be able to stop PA from scoring 21 or more unanswered points during a five or six minute stretch of the game.

Being able to score some unanswered point in a short period of time is the key to most of PA's victories, and will be a key in this game. If LRCA can control this, they can certainly win the game. If it rains Friday night, you can probably ignore the analysis above.

InYoGrill

Quote from: Bruin Backer on November 23, 2015, 03:29:23 pm
Defense, even a "great" defense is seldom the key to beating PA. You have to out score them, which sounds overly obvious. Either the opposing team simply wins a shootout e.g., Greenwood or Shiloh games, or they keep the PA offense off of the field for much of the game, e.g., Cabot's 35-34 win. The PA offensive philosophy is that whatever a defense decides to defend against on a given play will be wrong. Hope had two very good defensive ends that took away the sweep and could rush the passer as well as any team PA faced this year. The result was that a 5'7", 150 lb. RB rushed for 278 yards right up the middle.

The same is true with the passing game. Regardless of the formation used, there is a long, medium and short option for every play, which the QB reads based on the secondary's positioning or the secondary's movement after the snap. Make one mistake in the secondary and PA will take advantage of it. Choose the wrong formation for the defensive line, and PA will find a play that exploits it. This has always been PA's philosophy, but some years they haven't had the players to make it work. This year, they have the skilled players in all of the key positions to do so.

Does this mean that LRCA has no chance of beating them? Of course not. What it means is that LRCA must focus on an offensive game plan that both scores a lot of points and limits PA's number of possessions. Neither team seems to care much about time of possession; they both like to score quickly and often. If LRCA can recover every onside kick, stop PA on a couple of fourth downs and avoid turnovers, they may be able to stop PA from scoring 21 or more unanswered points during a five or six minute stretch of the game.

Being able to score some unanswered point in a short period of time is the key to most of PA's victories, and will be a key in this game. If LRCA can control this, they can certainly win the game. If it rains Friday night, you can probably ignore the analysis above.

Welcome aboard BB. Very well stated analysis on PA. I like that kind of interpretation. You have to excuse us "WESTIES". We like to use crayons and pictures for our thoughts. Ask Posty on this one. Ask Blue when you want some dumb excuses or excessive ramblings.   ;D ;D ;D    Go Warriors- WEST is da BEST! 

Go Postal

Welcome BB to fearless friday.  IYG is right.  Here is my "WESTIE" crayon and picture interpretation of this back and forth game...

And Here We Go

Go Warriors - WEST is da BEST!

PA Dad

Quote from: Go Postal on November 23, 2015, 08:00:39 pm
Welcome BB to fearless friday.  IYG is right.  Here is my "WESTIE" crayon and picture interpretation of this back and forth game...

And Here We Go

Best graphics guy -no contest!

Go Postal

Paw-Paw and BillyJack from Alma are the very best.  You'll see next year when the Airedales come back to the 5A West.

Overdahill

Quote from: Go Postal on November 23, 2015, 08:00:39 pm

And Here We Go

Bruins are da BEASTS....GO BRUINS!

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Go Postal on November 23, 2015, 08:07:18 pm
Paw-Paw and BillyJack from Alma are the very best.  You'll see next year when the Airedales come back to the 5A West.

Coach DePriest introduced me to BillyJack back in 08 at the PA and Alma playoff game.  Very nice guy.

PA Dad

I don't believe they can match you.

Lumberjackfan1978

InYoGrill

Come on Posty, can we leave those Okie muttins off our 5A boards for at least the last couple weeks here? All we need is dem dales poopin on our threads before end of season. Next season they are open season.

PA Dad

Good analysis and explanation of PA's scheme (wish I'd said that!).

One disagreement.  It looks like rain Friday, but I don't think either team changes its scheme or approach.  Both will do what they always do.

PA Dad

I said this game is a tossup, and I still think that.  But, I can't wuss out and make no prediction.

PA kicks a field goal (yea, right!) with 28 seconds left in the game to win 38-35.

incogneto

Go Postal

Any word on live internet audio or video streaming of this game for those who couldn't make it?

Red Devil Alum

Overdahill

MDXPHD

If LRC recovers the kicks and gets a short field, I think they could win by a couple tds. Their defense will stop PA some. Can somebody tell us where we can watch this game online? Surely one of your schools has a stream.

arksoc

Quote from: Go Postal on November 27, 2015, 08:01:37 am
Any word on live internet audio or video streaming of this game for those who couldn't make it?

Here you go: https://livestream.com/warriorvision

Grond

Well said. An aspect of the Pulaski Academy football "system" is their ability to make rapid changes based on the game situation (on offense AND defense).

PA does not keep running "Plan A" the whole 1st quarter; they immediately switch to "Plan B" on the next play.

I don't know if LRC is as good as PA at making game changes, but they are very good.

Chief_Osceola™

From what I've seen, the only way to slow PA is to have corners who are both physical and fast that have the ability to bump and run and play man coverage, linebackers that are fast enough to cover sideline to sideline, and a front 4 that can get constant pressure. I don't know any team in Arkansas who has all of that. You'd also have to run a 4-2-5 scheme with your star able to lock down in man coverage. You'd also have to come up with some creative blitzes from all over the field.

In other words, I don't think anyone in the state is built to stop PA, at least at the high school level.

Grond

Hmmmmm, I want LRCA to give PA a good game, but I think this is PA's night.

For all the talk of LRCA's #72 and the LRCA defense, Wynne was able to move the ball when they ran their outside running game well. And Wynne didn't have much of a passing game.

No doubt that PA has figured out LRCA's "system" for moving #72 around. And if PA runs right at #72, then he will be effectively double-teamed.

To stay in the game, LRCA will have to make The Big Play. Will PA be able to stop the LRCA long yardage plays? Watch & see.

STUNNA

bleudog

November 27, 2015, 05:05:18 pm #94 Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 06:14:14 pm by bleudog
Is the game live streamed?

pantherblue

MDXPHD

Pulling for LRC. Can't make myself like PA enough to pull for them, but I would rather both private schools lose.

FootballTime44

I would like to watch this game. Anywhere online I could watch it?

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: bleudog on November 27, 2015, 05:05:18 pm
Is the game live streamed?

PA Bruin Radio Facebook page should set you up

DeltaSwarmFather

Any radio stations carrying the game?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas