• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Your early days of Fearless.

Started by V-Town_Eagle_24, January 14, 2006, 03:09:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

V-Town_Eagle_24

Quote from: Lions84 on February 02, 2006, 08:51:57 am
I have spent 12 days logged on to FF OUCH!!!!

That's the same as me, which is not as bad as many.

CHSTigersFan

Quote from: RD™ on January 14, 2006, 01:53:24 pm
Quote from: JGotcher on January 14, 2006, 01:15:13 pm
I remember the old days of good ole Mike Bonds, too.

"The Grand Poo-bah of Fearless Friday"

Mike, you are a good man for creating this site.
Then he let the Devil have it.
I couldn't agree more, it was one thing for Mike to turn it over to someone else, but now we have a corporate sponser, at least I guess that is what you call that, I call it BS myself, but thats just my .02 worth

HorseFeathers

Well at least the sponser is supplying more football related stuff, and allows the site to be kept running. That's not free ya know.

Juice-Man

I've been around since it was www.fearlessfriday.freewebspace.com!!!  That had to be at least 5 to 6 years ago.  Mike kept banning me because I'd make a few unruly comments here or there.  Then it turned into FEARLESS FRIDAY.  Then I called truce with Mike "008" Bonds and he has yet to boot me out.  But this "Fearless Monger" we have now threatened me a time or two.

COME BACK MIKE!!!!!!!!

Mike Bonds

Well, as you might expect, I was here fairly early in the process......   ;D

It all started in June 2001, when I was trying to find a Newport schedule on the internet.  Hooten's wasn't out yet, and for whatever reasons I was looking for a schedule.  Come to find out, there wasn't one on the internet, at least that I could find.  Not only that, I couldn't find anyone else's schedule, either. 

Well, I did get a schedule the next time I went home, and I thought, "I could put this on the internet so the next guy looking for a Newport schedule can find it."  I didn't know squat about writing webpages--nada, zip, nothing.  Didn't know HTTP from PCP.  So, I did a little research online, found out that there were places that would host sites for free, and bought a book that really helped. 

By early July, I had some proto-webpages going, but they were ugly as homemade soap.   ;D  I finally figured out how to insert images in the background, and the site finally began to take something of it's old familiar shape.  I opened fearlessfriday.freewebspace.com officially on July 27, 2001.  Included in the early site was a very primitive bulletin board supplied by the provider.

I had never posted on bulletin boards, but the boards seemed fairly popular and I got a lot of emails asking me to upgrade.  I did some searches and ran across the old Pigpen, which I used as a model.  The boards were moved over to EZBoards, which are probably the boards that most of the oldtimers remember.  They had a green background with white text and yellow links. 

Well, the boards exploded with popularity.  The screen could hold 300 posts, and they would turn over completely within an hour sometimes.  It was a total surprise to me.  That's a good problem to have, I guess, but it's still a problem.  The boards had very primitive administrative tools, so it was hard to moderate.  Plus, the old boards had a lot of downtime, probably no thanks to us.  I suspect we were burning their servers down. 

Eventually, we just outgrew the freewebspace setup.  They didn't allow PHP at that time and didn't offer SQL, either, and it was clear that the EZBoards format was too primitive for the traffic.  So, fearlessfriday.com was registered, and the whole site moved to its own address at a new hosting company.

The boards were moved to a new board hosting company, Aimoo.  I tested them secretly for about 2 weeks, just to make sure everything was really going to work.  When they opened, they looked something like the present boards, just not as slick.  However, about a week after opening up, they started slamming the board with popups--popups everytime you clicked on anything.  My inbox went nuclear.  Clearly, that wasn't going to work, so the search was on again for a board that would function.

I decided to leave remote hosting of anything behind permanently, and I did.  Since that time, anything that has been on Fearless has been hosted right here, without 3rd party providers.  It was a great call.  I eventually settled on YaBB1Gold for a bulletin board script.  Finally, I could recruit help to moderate the forum!  (Thanks to all of those unfortunate souls who selflessly volunteered to do so--it can't run without you.)

Y1G worked like a sewing machine.  People liked it, I liked it.  I thought, "we've finally got things worked out."  Wrong.  Although it did work well, it didn't really contemplate our traffic  (if you ask hSv, I don't think the SMF creators expected it to handle our traffic volume, either...lol).  It was a major bandwidth eater.  By August, it was clear that I if I didn't do something, we would burn down the server by mid-September.  So, yet another board software was installed--YABBSE.

YABBSE worked even better, and the server demand fell.  We hung with that for a year, but we were pushing it bandwidth-wise at the end of the season.  With the growth over 2003, things got critical in October 2003.  I can't think of the hosting company's name (that's probably good for them), but I came in one morning and the site was down.  They said we had exceeded our bandwidth, and that I had a week to either move to a dedicated server or lose the site.  So much for customer service.  With the help of some donating posters and hSv, we moved to a dedicated server. 

Outwardly, it worked ok, and disruption was mininmal.  Behind the scenes, it was a rolling disaster.  I didn't know crap about server operation, it was very expensive, and the hosting company was ZERO help.  Didn't even try to help.  That's when I ran into Douglas through hSv, who made life much, much easier.  After our contract with the darkside ran out, we moved to Douglas' hosting company, TheRelalms.net, which I can only give my highest recommendation. 

I changed jobs in the summer of 2004, which put me on the road a lot and really raised my workload.  I made a game effort at running things, but I just couldn't devote the time.  It wasn't fair to you, to me, to the site, or to the sport.  So, I handed things off to hSv in return for a promise that I could host future sites on his Fearless/Hogville server (hence CampingArkansas.net, which I've thought about for a couple of years).  All in all, I think he's done a good job here, and he and his folks were willing to devote the kind of time and attention that I couldn't give you and I thought you deserved.

My guiding principle at Fearless was always "Make everyone feel that their opinion has value."  After searching bulletin boards, I found that on many, you had to be around a while or else be treated like dirt.  I wanted a forum where a person could come in and on day one feel that they could be a meaningful part of the conversation and that their opinions about the board and site were vauled.  I think that allowed us to survive the competition and not walk away from the several board wars with a black eye.  It was always my opinion that we didn't have to monopolize our posters--even if they looked at other boards, if we had the best product, they'd always be back.  So far, I have no reason to doubt that judgment. 

I just want to say thanks for all of your kind words and support over the years, and it is touching and humbling that people still remember me and the old days of the site.  I hope you will all come over and take a look at CampingArkansas.net and hang with me there, too.

Guetz

Mike Bonds:

Thank you!  What a great story and example of altruistic persistance to an ideal!  Your creation is wonderful and, of the various boards that I have been on, I can easily say that it is the best!

I will visit CampingArkansas.net.... simply because you made it!

You're awesome!

V-Town_Eagle_24

Mike, you are a good man for creating this site.  hSv does a great job running it, but it is not the same around here without you.  Do you think you'll ever pick up where you left off?

Anyways, thanks again!

Mustang1434

I have now been on here for an entire year. I must say my day isn't complete without a stop by here everyday to see what's new. This is probably one of the coolest places on the internet simply because it is almost like a big family. For those involved in running this site please keep up the good work.

Mike Bonds

Quote from: JGotcher on February 04, 2006, 05:28:43 pm
Mike, you are a good man for creating this site.  hSv does a great job running it, but it is not the same around here without you.  Do you think you'll ever pick up where you left off?

Anyways, thanks again!

Probably not.  I've got a baby on the way (April) and I've changed jobs again to one with far less pressure and traveling.  I'll always be around--you know me, always with some idea percolating in my brainpan.  I usually meet hSv about once a month for lunch, so we still consult about the site.  We bounce ideas off of each other, so I'm around, even if it's in the background.  Football season had almost gotten to be more of a chore than fun, and the time away has really helped with that.  I'll probably be around a little more next fall.

Lanny

Quote from: Mike Bonds on February 05, 2006, 09:06:27 am

Anyways, thanks again!

Probably not. I've got a baby on the way (April) and I've changed jobs again to one with far less pressure and traveling. I'll always be around--you know me, always with some idea percolating in my brainpan. I usually meet hSv about once a month for lunch, so we still consult about the site. We bounce ideas off of each other, so I'm around, even if it's in the background. Football season had almost gotten to be more of a chore than fun, and the time away has really helped with that. I'll probably be around a little more next fall.

We need to go next week.  Call me or I'll call you tomorrow

Chief_Osceola™

Quote from: Chamillionaire on February 03, 2006, 09:32:46 pm
I've been around since it was www.fearlessfriday.freewebspace.com!!! That had to be at least 5 to 6 years ago. Mike kept banning me because I'd make a few unruly comments here or there. Then it turned into FEARLESS FRIDAY. Then I called truce with Mike "008" Bonds and he has yet to boot me out. But this "Fearless Monger" we have now threatened me a time or two.

COME BACK MIKE!!!!!!!!

Same for me....I've had a few alts.

V-Town_Eagle_24

Quote from: Mike Bonds on February 05, 2006, 09:06:27 am
Mike, you are a good man for creating this site. hSv does a great job running it, but it is not the same around here without you. Do you think you'll ever pick up where you left off?

Anyways, thanks again!

Probably not. I've got a baby on the way (April) and I've changed jobs again to one with far less pressure and traveling. I'll always be around--you know me, always with some idea percolating in my brainpan. I usually meet hSv about once a month for lunch, so we still consult about the site. We bounce ideas off of each other, so I'm around, even if it's in the background. Football season had almost gotten to be more of a chore than fun, and the time away has really helped with that. I'll probably be around a little more next fall.

That's expected.  I don't blame you one bit.

I'm sure you get to enjoy football season a lot more, now.

Juice-Man

Mike, I bet never in your wildest dreams that Fearless would turn into this.  I remember that old green screen and having to scroll down for an hour to find yesterday's posts.  Ah, the good ol' days.  Mike YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

Mike Bonds

Quote from: Chamillionaire on February 08, 2006, 09:54:26 am
Mike, I bet never in your wildest dreams that Fearless would turn into this.  I remember that old green screen and having to scroll down for an hour to find yesterday's posts.  Ah, the good ol' days.  Mike YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!

You're right--I never figured it would be like this.  I figured that if a few folks drifted by, that was probably doing pretty good.  I never anticipated the growth that Fearless has experienced.  I don't think I'm alone in that, though.  Some folks don't like the fact that it's not like it was "back in the good old days," but that's life.  Nothing's constant but change, and Fearless is no exception.  And shouldn't be.

One of my favorite memories from the early days of Fearless was Randy Rainwater giving an announcement about the site on air in 2001.  I had sent lots of media folks emails announcing the site, and Rainwater was nice enough to give it a read on air, for which I'm thankful.  At the end he said, "Giving predictions might be a dangerous business, Fearless Mike."  Well, he's probably been right about that.  lol  There have been times when, after the week was over, I went back and looked at my picks and thought, "What was I smoking?"  Still, my percentage hovered around 83%, whcih was pretty consistent with the Demozette and Hootens.

Eddie Goodson

Gotta bump this. Ivan dug this up and it's an interesting look into the past. Mike Bonds' post on page three is a must read for everyone who has posted on this board less than two years. You must know our roots and why many of us call some of you newbs.

AllSmiles

June 30, 2008, 08:19:57 pm #67 Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 08:24:47 pm by AllSmiles
I really liked Mike Bonds' post.

Oh and I got on here when I heard some of the football players talking about it. I wanted to check it out. I lurked around for a few months then I registered, but STILL didn't post until a while later. I must like this site because I've been logged in for 43 days, 13 hours and 8 minutes.

Texarkana_Piggie

i got on a few years ago when arkansas high was playing cabot in the playoffs.  had to talk trah with....can't remember his name...he was doing radio for the cabot games.  now my time online is 31 days, 17 hours and 37 minutes

msubulldogs21

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on June 30, 2008, 08:20:24 pm
i got on a few years ago when arkansas high was playing cabot in the playoffs.  had to talk trah with....can't remember his name...he was doing radio for the cabot games.  now my time online is 31 days, 17 hours and 37 minutes

Majique?

B&GT

Texarkana_Piggie

Quote from: msubulldogs21 on June 30, 2008, 08:24:46 pm

Majique?

that's him.  couldn't remember the name.  btw...i looked it up...i registered in september of 03 so this fall will be 5 years.

AllSmiles

Quote from: Texarkana_Piggie on June 30, 2008, 08:32:54 pm
Quote from: msubulldogs21 on June 30, 2008, 08:24:46 pm

Majique?

that's him.  couldn't remember the name.  btw...i looked it up...i registered in september of 03 so this fall will be 5 years.

I registered November 28, 2004 at 09:31:51 PM.

jackfan1™

I have been here at least forever...since the original old green days.
Funny, I always read yabbse as "yabba"...like Yabba, dabba, dooo. ;) Always have, always will.

I came here after some "Certain Someones" killed all the other sites.*cough*rd*cough*dr*cough*
My gal was a cheerleader and avid sports fan as well so we would sit together and post and fight with Ivan. He remembers.....I know he does.

Fun times.

Thanks, Mike. FF will always be your legacy.

AHM™

that is the date that I registered....it seems like forever ago....

October 04, 2003, 11:58:33 PM

RD™

Quote from: jackfan1™ on June 30, 2008, 08:39:12 pm
Funny, I always read yabbse as "yabba"...like Yabba, dabba, dooo. ;) Always have, always will.

I came here after some "Certain Someones" killed all the other sites.*cough*rd*cough*dr*cough*
My gal was a cheerleader and avid sports fan as well so we would sit together and post and fight with Ivan. He remembers.....I know he does.

Fun times.

I didn't do it. Chad did it or maybe it was Chris.

Har

jackfan1™

Quote from: RD™ on June 30, 2008, 08:41:28 pm

Fun times.

Har

Har?

More like HA!

Guilty as charged.
Y'all were bad to the bone.
Ivan still is.

Eddie Goodson

Fun times.

Har
They shouldn't have gotten in that fight on the open chat room.

RD™

Quote from: jackfan1™ on June 30, 2008, 08:42:58 pm

Fun times.

Har

Har?

More like HA!

Guilty as charged.
Ivan still is.

Go check this thread...you'll see classic me.
http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=81486.25

trackstar07

Needed a way to keep up with scores, and some humor in my life. its either read garbage on ESPN and yahoo, or local garbage on FF. :)

38 days later, im still reading..

DB

Quote from: Mike Bonds on February 08, 2006, 11:56:35 am
One of my favorite memories from the early days of Fearless was Randy Rainwater giving an announcement about the site on air in 2001.  I had sent lots of media folks emails announcing the site, and Rainwater was nice enough to give it a read on air, for which I'm thankful.  At the end he said, "Giving predictions might be a dangerous business, Fearless Mike."  Well, he's probably been right about that.  lol  There have been times when, after the week was over, I went back and looked at my picks and thought, "What was I smoking?"  Still, my percentage hovered around 83%, whcih was pretty consistent with the Demozette and Hootens.

That's the day that I registered. 

Here's a little more history.  Back in the day, Hootens was the only stop for opinions.  It really got out of hand with all the sex talk.  The Hootens, rightfully, smashed that site.  Skip was a lot of fun.  That board was where I started to train grasshopper on proper smack talk techniques.  He was a good student.  He finally walked on the rice paper without tearing it.  I have, however, seen him in the middle of several meltdowns.  Grasshopper began to try to wear disguises.  But he could not fool or hide from his master.  Sadly, he eventually went too far and became evil. 

I, on the other hand, have always remained pure.  Trying to set a shining example of the way folks ought to conduct themselves on a message board.  I never harass anyone.  I never antagonize anyone.  I get picked on a lot but....somebody's got to take the heat off the others. 

Seriously though, I have always thought this board would be big eventually.  When it outlasted three other boards, it solidified its position.  Then with the legitimacy of KARK coming in, that had to be a badge of pride for MB and hSv.  It was a good move for channel 4 as well.  I told folks years ago, that this had potential to be a money maker.  And I hope it is.  I spend more time here than any place on the net.  Wow, that just dawned on me as I typed that.  I spend a lot of time here. 

Over the past couple of years, it has become more of a place to gather information and less of a place to argue and bicker.  I think it will be very interesting to see how it continues to evolve.

Thanks Mike.

The Buttgen

June 30, 2008, 10:54:57 pm #81 Last Edit: June 30, 2008, 10:58:58 pm by The Buttgen
I joined back in 03 when fellow Newport fan and FOUNDER of Fearless Mike Bonds got me on. also heard about it from a buddy next door.
Although i'm still bitter about the way the site has degraded, but maybe thats just because of the influx of younger kids who don't know forum etiquette. so i left here for about 2 years and didn't post a thing. i didn't even want to read it.  I still say the site should have never been sold to channel 4, it lost all it's grass roots feel.  but maybe thats just me.
i still wonder why the post have the built in censor, and i have another question why are there so many mods and admins.  I leave and the Thee Xbear is a Moderator, that blew me out of the water.

Ken Griffey Jr.

Quote from: RD™ on June 30, 2008, 08:43:59 pm
Quote from: jackfan1™ on June 30, 2008, 08:42:58 pm

Fun times.

Har

Har?

More like HA!

Guilty as charged.
Ivan still is.

Go check this thread...you'll see classic me.
http://www.fearlessfriday.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=81486.25

I just lost it when I read your last reply on that thread, RD.  That was amazing. 

As for the question at the beginning of the thread:  I remember my Dad showing me FF my sophomore year of high school after we beat PA.  I got on here to look at what everyone was saying, and mainly read the 3A boards to see what people said about our team(CAC).  One of my good friends joined and started posting, and I joined shortly thereafter.  I joined on Oct. 3, 2003, and looking back, I was a n00b in every sense of the word.  Hopefully I have changed a little since then.

RHS

I joined FF, back when it was still on the old design, to get the heck away from First Stringers.

RD™

Quote from: RHS on June 30, 2008, 10:59:13 pm
I joined FF, back when it was still on the old design, to get the heck away from First Stringers.
Virus infested, trojan invading, spyware piece of crap.

The Buttgen

Virus infested, trojan invading, spyware piece of crap.
[/quote]
haha i remember that, i know i got half my virus from that site.

C_A_Morris

I, as well, registered on the old site c. 2001. Wound up forgetting about the place after I graduated high school and went many, many years before I found out it was still up and running....

B&GT

RVHellRaiser :        (No subject)   « Sent to: B&GT on: April 08, 2004, 09:42:09 PM »   

A 15 year old punk kid calling me ignorant...I should have looked at your age to begin with kid.

Grow some hair on your nuts before you start cashing checks your scrawny butt can't cash!

Hehehehe, I'll admit maybe I was a bit of a punk when I was 15. :)

atownpantherfan05™

July 01, 2008, 01:25:11 am #88 Last Edit: July 01, 2008, 01:32:03 am by atownpanther05™
One day in class someone was visiting this site so i went home that day and signed up for it last year and that's how i ended up here.

SandLizard04

Quote from: DB on June 30, 2008, 10:50:32 pm
Skip was a lot of fun. 
Never thought I'd see that said.

As for me, I'm one of the old guard too, joining the site back in the old fearlessfriday.freewebspace.com days back in 01.

jackfan1™

Quote from: Ramblin' Man™ on July 01, 2008, 10:26:30 am
Quote from: DB on June 30, 2008, 10:50:32 pm
Skip was a lot of fun. 
Never thought I'd see that said.

As for me, I'm one of the old guard too, joining the site back in the old fearlessfriday.freewebspace.com days back in 01.

I remember that.
SL04...and then we met you a couple years or so later.

Doesn't that seem like a lifetime ago?

SandLizard04

Yep.

I actually started off as JuniorLizard70 back around 1999 on KATV, then Hootens, then ARNBC. I adopted SandLizard04 after getting out of junior high. :) Then shortened it to SL04 after pretty much everyone knew me. After I started working with the Rose Bud Ramblers, I changed it to what it is now, which also fits my personality.

There's even been at least one marriage come out of these football message boards (not mine). Who'da Thunk It?

True Believer

July 01, 2008, 10:51:56 am #92 Last Edit: July 02, 2008, 07:05:47 am by True Believer
I registered in 2005.  But I was dating a coach (who turned out to be a lying, cheating, douchbag of slime and no he is not human)  so I only read.  He said that you were all idiots and I better not ever post on here.  So after his true personality floated to the top, (yes dog doo) then I came on here in Oct. of 2007 and posted.  I am still a noob but I am hanging in here.  You guys made me laugh again.  I still don't know a bunch about sports but I have learned a thing or two from some of you. 

ppop

Interesting.  I've only been here since October, 2006.  I first learned of FF from Magnolia's principal when we were hosting the state basketball tournament.  I've got to admit I was a little fried reading a lot of negative comments when so many were volunteering their time to make the tournament a success.  I lurked for months, finally registering when the football season got cranked up in earnest.  I've really laughed out loud many times reading some of this stuff.  (I still can't think pink without thinking DB!) I've also been amazed at the ignorance some people spout!
It's been great to get to know some good people from around the state.

DB

Quote from: ppop on July 01, 2008, 10:52:41 amI've really laughed out loud many times reading some of this stuff.  (I still can't think pink without thinking DB!)

How that deal escalated, I don't know.  But it was/is fun, even if it is at my expense.  I figure if you can't laugh at yourself, the message boards are not a good place to be.

Anybody remember Scotty the Body?  A lot of people seemed to hate him.

jackfan1™

Quote from: Ramblin' Man™ on July 01, 2008, 10:46:03 am

There's even been at least one marriage come out of these football message boards (not mine). Who'da Thunk It?

Ooooo, is it the one I take credit for setting up a long, long time ago? ;)

SandLizard04

Quote from: DB on July 01, 2008, 11:23:08 am
Quote from: ppop on July 01, 2008, 10:52:41 amI've really laughed out loud many times reading some of this stuff.  (I still can't think pink without thinking DB!)

How that deal escalated, I don't know.  But it was/is fun, even if it is at my expense.  I figure if you can't laugh at yourself, the message boards are not a good place to be.

Anybody remember Scotty the Body?  A lot of people seemed to hate him.
LOL. Scottie 2 Hottie. He still posts here on rare occasion. He is one of the funniest people I have ever met in my life (I went to school with him, though he's a few years older.) And yeah, I lot of people did hate him on the internet :)

MikeDiesel™

Quote from: ppop on July 01, 2008, 10:52:41 am
Interesting.  I've only been here since October, 2006.  I first learned of FF from Magnolia's principal when we were hosting the state basketball tournament.  I've got to admit I was a little fried reading a lot of negative comments when so many were volunteering their time to make the tournament a success.  I lurked for months, finally registering when the football season got cranked up in earnest.  I've really laughed out loud many times reading some of this stuff.  (I still can't think pink without thinking DB!) I've also been amazed at the ignorance some people spout!
It's been great to get to know some good people from around the state.

I had pretty much nothing but good to say about Magnolia.  Of course, we did win the whole thing down there, so that helped a little :)

2001....seems like forever ago in "board years".

Wampus_Cat

I registered in '03, at the start of Conway's run football with guys like Peyton Hillis and Kevin Wardlow. I don't post much on the high school boards cuz I feel too old, but I stick around General and After the Whistle.

ppop

Quote from: MikeDiesel™ on July 01, 2008, 12:04:09 pmI had pretty much nothing but good to say about Magnolia.  Of course, we did win the whole thing down there, so that helped a little :)

Yep, you were one of the main culprits pointed out to me.  I also remember the question, "Just who does this Uncle Ivan person think he IS??  ;D
On a different note, one of my good friends was the local "sponsor" for the Chicks during the tournament.  He chapped a few rears when he sat in the B-ville section during the finals!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas