• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2015-2016 Arkansas basketball

Started by beach bum, November 14, 2015, 12:02:14 am

Previous topic - Next topic

BrianfromCarlisle

Lionheart88

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 02, 2016, 10:11:27 am
Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on December 31, 2015, 11:44:12 pm
Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on December 20, 2015, 09:15:04 pm
No....those guys were already signed. You don't turn down 3 of top 4 jucos players. Especially when you KNOW they will be there for the 2 years. One and done is killing the game. He planned on Monk being there with those 3 guys
I agree one and done is killing the game,I don't want any players who will only be here one year
One and done players don't seem to be hurting Kentucky! We have never signed any of these players, so it is certainly not hurting the game for the hogs.
Just because they're winning doesn't mean it isn't hurting them.  Think of how good Kentucky would be if those guys were staying 3-4 years.  Someone's always going to win, but that doesn't mean those teams wouldn't be improved by greater continuity.

BrianfromCarlisle

Think of what the NBA could be if the players had 3 years minimum experience actually learning to play ball. 

Coach Venny Slocombe

How rationale is this Rice...we are getting hammered by A&M...lol...we are good...dang good...Got any Rose colored glasses I can borrow?

AirWarren

Coach Venny Slocombe

beach bum

Romeo

This season is reminding me more and more of the movie Blue Chips. The kids play for hard for MA, but we just don't have the talent. Ive said it before and I'll say it again, it all reflects on recruiting. When you have Keaton Miles and Manny Watkins in your starting lineup, you haven't recruited hard enough.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: Romeo on January 02, 2016, 06:03:58 pm
This season is reminding me more and more of the movie Blue Chips. The kids play for hard for MA, but we just don't have the talent. Ive said it before and I'll say it again, it all reflects on recruiting. When you have Keaton Miles and Manny Watkins in your starting lineup, you haven't recruited hard enough.
+1

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 02, 2016, 04:47:28 pm
How rationale is this Rice...we are getting hammered by A&M...lol...we are good...dang good...Got any Rose colored glasses I can borrow?

No one said anything about wins or losses, but when your remark is to shut the program down, then rationale went out the window. I seem to remember some other of our recent teams getting thumped. MA won't be fired, so find another soap box.

bdubyab60

I think a lot of knew this would be a tough year.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 02, 2016, 09:40:56 pm

No one said anything about wins or losses, but when your remark is to shut the program down, then rationale went out the window. I seem to remember some other of our recent teams getting thumped. MA won't be fired, so find another soap box.
When did I say shut the program down? I said if we as fans think that mediocrity is okay then what is the use? I think we should play to win...to win championships...don't you?

Lumberjackfan1978

Yea anyone with any sense knew this would be a tough year

beach bum

January 02, 2016, 10:24:02 pm #163 Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 10:27:01 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 02, 2016, 10:21:03 pm

When did I say shut the program down? I said if we as fans think that mediocrity is okay then what is the use? I think we should play to win...to win championships...don't you?

I also think there has to be some acceptance that we are Arkansas. Kids want to play basketball on the East Coast, Midwest, and even out West before they come to the SEC nowadays. For the coming future its going to be tough for anyone outside of Kentucky to establish dominance in the SEC routinely. I don't like losing but I am just looking at the landscape of college basketball. Look at the crowds in ACC, Big East, and Big Ten games compared to SEC games. No wonder no kids want to play basketball in the SEC besides Kentucky. I don't blame them when the fans don't seem to know there are other sports besides football. I blame the fans some in that way.

WPWells

I think the main thing Anderson needs to improve on recruiting-wise is getting the big in-state player(s)

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Jacketman65 on January 02, 2016, 10:11:27 am
Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on December 31, 2015, 11:44:12 pm
Quote from: BrianfromCarlisle on December 20, 2015, 09:15:04 pm
No....those guys were already signed. You don't turn down 3 of top 4 jucos players. Especially when you KNOW they will be there for the 2 years. One and done is killing the game. He planned on Monk being there with those 3 guys
I agree one and done is killing the game,I don't want any players who will only be here one year
One and done players don't seem to be hurting Kentucky! We have never signed any of these players, so it is certainly not hurting the game for the hogs.
its fine with me if we don't sign any one and done get some kids who will be here at least a couple of years

AirWarren

fastdrop

Basketball is dead to me this year. Can't believe the trap the Hogs are in.

If the Tigers don't get a new coach next year I will eat my hat.

ricepig

"Yep, but at some point we have to break that. If we continue to just embrace mediocrity then we should just drop basketball..."

I would say dropping basketball and shutting down the program were akin to the same. We won 27 games last year, that isn't mediocre in my book. I've got lots of questions about MA and the program, but he isn't leaving any time soon. I do think he needs to get a top notch recruiter on his staff, but I don't see him making any changes.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 12:55:21 pm

"Yep, but at some point we have to break that. If we continue to just embrace mediocrity then we should just drop basketball..."

I would say dropping basketball and shutting down the program were akin to the same. We won 27 games last year, that isn't mediocre in my book. I've got lots of questions about MA and the program, but he isn't leaving any time soon. I do think he needs to get a top notch recruiter on his staff, but I don't see him making any changes.
Like I said...that is sad...and we can win 30 games but if we can't make it past the 2nd round and we become happy with the NIT then we are average. We have went backwards...spin it anyway you want but we have went backwards...UNLESS, he can right the ship and take us to the dance...may be below average this year...

mack

Why can't these guys just support the team this year?   We know they aren't great, we know we won't make the Dance.  We know MA isn't going to be fired after a bad year this year.  He'll get at least one more year.  Why can't they stop with all the negativity, watch and enjoy the hustle.... and  let Jeff Long deal with it?  I wonder how many of them are as successful in their careers as is MA?

ricepig

Quote from: mack on January 03, 2016, 04:57:57 pm

Why can't these guys just support the team this year?   We know they aren't great, we know we won't make the Dance.  We know MA isn't going to be fired after a bad year this year.  He'll get at least one more year.  Why can't they stop with all the negativity, watch and enjoy the hustle.... and  let Jeff Long deal with it?  I wonder how many of them are as successful in their careers as is MA?

I agree, I've said numerous times that Mike won't ever be fired at Arkansas. As far supporting the team and enjoying the season, I always support the Hogs. Now, I still say he needs a big time recruiter on staff, but he's not going to fire any of his staff.  As far as careers, it's really hard to compare, lol.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Why can't people see the team for what they are. I have been very supportive of MA. I am just saying he needs to start producing at some point. When we are going backwards and losing in state recruits, then yes there are some red flags...as far as careers...I would say in my profession I am more successful than MA is in his...but that is apples and oranges...
What blows me away is MA did well at UAB and Mizzou...maybe it isn't MA, maybe the UA is cursed...the Nolan factor...lol...

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 05:15:52 pm

I agree, I've said numerous times that Mike won't ever be fired at Arkansas. As far supporting the team and enjoying the season, I always support the Hogs. Now, I still say he needs a big time recruiter on staff, but he's not going to fire any of his staff.  As far as careers, it's really hard to compare, lol.
I agree totally with the recruiter...

pioneers

Good win tonight against vandy. Forced 25 turnovers I believe.

Lionheart88

Hogs are now 1-1 in SEC play.  Great win.  90-85 in OT.

Lumberjackfan1978

Jacketman65

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 03, 2016, 09:35:39 pm
Quote from: ricepig on January 03, 2016, 05:15:52 pm

I agree totally with the recruiter...
I agree with a recruiter as well, maybe he should dump some of the baggage that he is trying to drag along. Like maybe his son, at some point they need to make their own way - so to speak!

Romeo

Sometimes its better to be lucky than good. We won which is good, but the win conceals a horrible coaching decision by MA. He took the win out of his teams hands by calling a timeout with 2 seconds left in the game. He would have gotten crucified by the fans and media today had we lost. As whistle happy as the refs were, we were lucky not to get called with a foul on the last dunk by Vanderbilt. From the replay, Kingsley fouled the Vandy player across the arm before he dunked.

WPWells

January 06, 2016, 07:09:31 am #179 Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:11:36 am by Fred Bird
^you're an idiot. He took the timeout to set up his defensive matchups. Plus, Kingsley wasn't even close to hitting him on the dunk. The issue wasn't MA. The issue was Kingsley and Bell switching

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Fred Bird on January 06, 2016, 07:09:31 am
^you're an idiot. He took the timeout to set up his defensive matchups. Plus, Kingsley wasn't even close to hitting him on the dunk. The issue wasn't MA. The issue was Kingsley and Bell switching

There's no way you should EVER take a TO in that situation. Five or six seconds left I can see it, but with 2.1 left the best they could hope for was a half court heave.

And I said that BEFORE they got the dunk to tie it.

AirWarren

Just happy to get the win. These kids need a win to hopefully get it going.

Some of our starters, man. I can't believe they are even starters. I wish our recruiting was better.

pioneers

Fred why call a timeout to set up our defense when the offense didn't have a play set up to run? Vandy was scrambling and didn't know what to do then we call a timeout. The timeout benefited vandy more than it did Arkansas and I'm not just saying that based on the outcome even if vandy didn't score it allowed them to set up a play.

WPWells

Only in Arkansas do we get a win and still bash the coach for almost losing it

ricepig

Quote from: pioneers on January 06, 2016, 08:38:53 am
Fred why call a timeout to set up our defense when the offense didn't have a play set up to run? Vandy was scrambling and didn't know what to do then we call a timeout. The timeout benefited vandy more than it did Arkansas and I'm not just saying that based on the outcome even if vandy didn't score it allowed them to set up a play.

Didn't know what to do?? You don't think they practice that? Why did Stallings call timeout after they took the lead with .12 to go??? Maybe to set his defense and plan for such action? Now, if you wish to criticize the fact we didn't have a big on the in-bound guy making the 3/4 throw more difficult, or why we switched guys 65ft from the ball, then I can understand your gripe.

Romeo

Only in Arkansas do we get one idiot calling someone else an idiot for criticizing an idiotic decision.

SUGARTOWN

And let's don't forget that the .01 they added on the clock BECAUSE of our timeout was the difference in Jones getting the dunk off or not.

mack

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2016, 09:05:03 am

Didn't know what to do?? You don't think they practice that? Why did Stallings call timeout after they took the lead with .12 to go??? Maybe to set his defense and plan for such action? Now, if you wish to criticize the fact we didn't have a big on the in-bound guy making the 3/4 throw more difficult, or why we switched guys 65ft from the ball, then I can understand your gripe.

I am never amazed anymore at the way some on here look for ways to criticize a coach.  You guys would be howling if VB threw in a 40 footer for three points to win the game, and he hadn't called a timeout to set strategy. Of course a coach should call a timeout with 2 seconds left to set his strategy.  Of course a coach should not call a timeout with 2 seconds left to set his strategy.  It's strategy, successful or not.  Should the Kentucky coach have played guys in front and behind Christian Laettner, or on each side like they did before he hit the winner in the regional final?  It's strategy, and it works or it doesn't. 

mack

In the paper this morning, MA said they should not have switched.  It's a teaching moment.  I'm like you on the 'taller man' on the throw-in though.  I'd have subbed Kouassi on the inbounder.  See how easy that is after the fact?  :-)

ricepig

Quote from: mack on January 06, 2016, 10:48:09 am

In the paper this morning, MA said they should not have switched.  It's a teaching moment.  I'm like you on the 'taller man' on the throw-in though.  I'd have subbed Kouassi on the inbounder.  See how easy that is after the fact?  :-)

I was screaming it at the TV last night, you didn't hear me?

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: mack on January 06, 2016, 10:43:52 am

I am never amazed anymore at the way some on here look for ways to criticize a coach.  You guys would be howling if VB threw in a 40 footer for three points to win the game, and he hadn't called a timeout to set strategy. Of course a coach should call a timeout with 2 seconds left to set his strategy.  Of course a coach should not call a timeout with 2 seconds left to set his strategy.  It's strategy, successful or not.  Should the Kentucky coach have played guys in front and behind Christian Laettner, or on each side like they did before he hit the winner in the regional final?  It's strategy, and it works or it doesn't.

Nobody that knows anything about basketball would've been howling about not calling the timeout had they thrown in a 40 footer for the win. You tip your hat and move on.

As far as Kentucky and Laettner goes, John Pelphrey was in good defensive position when Laettner caught the ball but he inexplicably backed off let him shoot it uncontested.

mack

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on January 06, 2016, 11:52:44 am
Quote from: mack on January 06, 2016, 10:43:52 am

Nobody that knows anything about basketball would've been howling about not calling the timeout had they thrown in a 40 footer for the win. You tip your hat and move on.

As far as Kentucky and Laettner goes, John Pelphrey was in good defensive position when Laettner caught the ball but he inexplicably backed off let him shoot it uncontested.

"Nobody that knows anything about basketball".... there's your operant statement.  You probably think that college players are so advanced, they don't need timeouts to tell them not to foul, how to defend a play at the end of the game etc.  I don't have that much confidence in them for the most part.  I've seen them foul stupidly or celebrate when they should be getting where they're supposed to be.  I have no problem with Anderson or Stallings' TO strategy.

As far as your analysis of the KY/Duke situation, one could argue that if they had fronted him, and had a player behind him, they'd never have gotten him the ball to begin with.  I'm not arguing your assertion Pelphrey was in decent position.  That was KYs strategy at the time.  It just didn't work.

mack

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2016, 10:54:59 am
Quote from: mack on January 06, 2016, 10:48:09 am

I was screaming it at the TV last night, you didn't hear me?

Thought it was the coyotes out back......

SUGARTOWN

Honestly, I would've rather seen Kingsley foul Jones than give him a dunk. It's doubtful he would've made two free throws to tie the game. But I realize they can't always think that quick during the game.

mack

ricepig

Quote from: mack on January 06, 2016, 02:44:51 pm
That's an excellent point....

Our luck he'd some how mange to throw it in a make the FT.

Coach Venny Slocombe

First game I have watched start to finish this year.

I was impressed with Kingsley, thought he played well. This team has some potential, but overall just not very talented. Recruiting has to get better. Vanderbilt isn't very good, but hey...a win is a win...

As for the decision for MA to call a timeout or not...
Different coaches will do it different ways. The switch was stupid, should have had a big on the inbound. Hey, Vandy made a play.
I don't think Romeo was bashing, I think he was just saying that IF it went wrong the media would have thrashed MA on his decision...

ricepig

Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 06, 2016, 04:45:33 pm

I was impressed with Kingsley, thought he played well. This team has some potential, but overall just not very talented. Recruiting has to get better. Vanderbilt isn't very good, but hey...a win is a win...

Different coaches will do it different ways. The switch was stupid, should have had a big on the inbound. Hey, Vandy made a play.
I don't think Romeo was bashing, I think he was just saying that IF it went wrong the media would have thrashed MA on his decision...

Vandy was picked to finish 2nd behind Kentucky, they were 6-2 before losing a main player who was back last night. I think we'll play well/decent at home, we better win at Mizzou next week or we may not win on the road.

Coach Venny Slocombe

Quote from: ricepig on January 06, 2016, 04:58:24 pm
Quote from: Coach Venny Slocombe on January 06, 2016, 04:45:33 pm

Vandy was picked to finish 2nd behind Kentucky, they were 6-2 before losing a main player who was back last night. I think we'll play well/decent at home, we better win at Mizzou next week or we may not win on the road.
Mizzou got hammered by Georgia tonight...

3 Dollar

I can see both sides to the timeout.  Like a poster has already stated "it's strategy." 

Coulda, Woulda, Shoulda!  I probably would not have called it, and then they would have hit that long 3 pointer to win it and I would have been the idiot coach that needs to be fired.  Had they not hit it, other (more prominent) schools would be looking to hire me.

He called it.  They tied it.  Went to OT and we won it!  Had they not tied it, there would never have been this discussion.  Had they (Vandy) won it, everybody would be asking for MA's resignation.  I thought it was a stellar coaching performance to get his team to come back and win it in OT after the drama of Vandy tying it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas