• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Premier Clubs

Started by Arkiesoccer, May 07, 2018, 12:58:18 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkiesoccer

After a quick search, this is one of the few places online that discusses Arkansas soccer.

Any initial thoughts/observations about the new classic level league (Arkansas Premier Clubs) that has been created?

RazorDad

If it cures the scheduling and referee problems, I'm all for it.

From a competitive standpoint, there is not really a change. The same teams will be playing against each other, plus I hear the plan is to bring in OK and TN teams.

sssuperpantherfan2

Oklahoma has some good competition around Owasso area.

soccerfan3

The new league formed by the state association will not be good competition because all of the real "premier" teams from AR and surrounding states will be playing in a different league, National Premier League (US Club Soccer instead of US Youth Soccer).  It is really a shame that there is this division in our state.  I don't think it is the best thing for developing soccer in AR; however, we all have to do what is best for our kids.

Buck183

Quote from: soccerfan3 on May 09, 2018, 09:05:04 am
The new league formed by the state association will not be good competition because all of the real "premier" teams from AR and surrounding states will be playing in a different league, National Premier League (US Club Soccer instead of US Youth Soccer).  It is really a shame that there is this division in our state.  I don't think it is the best thing for developing soccer in AR; however, we all have to do what is best for our kids.

For the most part this is probably spot on. 

Our team quit messing with the Arkansas side of things about 4 years ago.  It's almost a complete waste of time.  For the most part there's not much competition in it.  Then you have teams that sign up for it, schedule games, not show up for games, and waste your time for that weekend when you could have scheduled something else.  To top it off, you get 10-12 teams in your division and then only 2-3 of them show up to play for the state championship.  That's the part that baffles me more than anything.  Why even bother playing in the league if you don't plan to play in the state tournament? 

It's almost like they want to play soccer but only if it suits their needs.  Heaven forbid we play against better competition. 

Lets Go 5

May 09, 2018, 04:20:18 pm #5 Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 04:24:58 pm by Lets Go 5
Quote from: Buck183 on May 09, 2018, 03:35:54 pm
For the most part this is probably spot on. 

Our team quit messing with the Arkansas side of things about 4 years ago.  It's almost a complete waste of time.  For the most part there's not much competition in it.  Then you have teams that sign up for it, schedule games, not show up for games, and waste your time for that weekend when you could have scheduled something else.  To top it off, you get 10-12 teams in your division and then only 2-3 of them show up to play for the state championship.  That's the part that baffles me more than anything.  Why even bother playing in the league if you don't plan to play in the state tournament? 

It's almost like they want to play soccer but only if it suits their needs.  Heaven forbid we play against better competition.

Yes, Agree
It also goes for even High School soccer. Last few year I've watched team after team go 14-2 or 15-1 just to be knocked out in conference or first round of state. All they did during the season is run the score up and stack stats making them feel good.
If the coach really wanted to make his players better in High school and Club. He should play out of state.
Southern Arkansas teams in High School  should play their conference games and fill all the blank games with Texas schools.
Just Like our school reaches out and plays Oklahoma high schools.
If you want to play better then you go find someone that can beat you every time and work on beating them.

One of the smartest things I was ever told. If your winning every game. Then your playing the wrong people.
You should win a 1/3. Lose a 1/3. And tie a 1/3.
That's when you know your playing the right level.
So, If your club or High school team is winning it all. You're not helping this problem.

Saying this in this thread. Buck's daughter and mine have been in traveling soccer for 10 years now. We found out very early on that to push our daughter we would have to travel for more serious and committed teams to play. That's just a fact.

The people of the STATE that don't know soccer have to start liking it and supporting it for funding.
For example. Our High School has 6 -6A State Championships in the last 4 years. And we have to beg or be willing to fight for everything. But, they will throw tons of money at the STATE sanction sports that give funding.

It simply goes for Rec, Travel and High School. All Levels of play.

Sorry for the rant. Buck had text me because he knew how I felt over support for the sport and the state.
I have been currently "discussing" with the city about a sign a basketball team got placed for winning 2 times State. And why our soccer teams don't have one when hitting the city limits.
carry on  :-X

Arkiesoccer

If the new league mainstains it's footing, I can see the ASSA becoming rec only in the near future.  Anybody that remains classic with the state wouldn't have any quality "league" competition.  They could schedule friendlies with the other clubs, but that may be a hard sell as there aren't a lot of statewide friendlies going on currently.  And can you imagine a silver level team that never competing in anything higher than the governors cup, winning the state cup and progressing on to regionals?

Wonder if anyone will take the leap in the near future and try a spring league/team for the U15s and up to give the better players an option other than high school -or will those players have to go out of state?

Arbitro

Quote from: Arkiesoccer on May 09, 2018, 08:54:51 pm
Wonder if anyone will take the leap in the near future and try a spring league/team for the U15s and up to give the better players an option other than high school -or will those players have to go out of state?
This question was asked and answered not that many years ago.  It turned out that the vast majority of classic players wanted to play for their school, not club, in the spring.  Have attitudes changed enough to make it work now?  I'm skeptical.

Buck183

Quote from: Arkiesoccer on May 09, 2018, 08:54:51 pm
  And can you imagine a silver level team that never competing in anything higher than the governors cup, winning the state cup and progressing on to regionals?

I don't think there would be anything to worry about there.  The teams I'm thinking of wouldn't play for a state championship if they thought they had to drive in excess of three hours to play in the regionals.  Anything over a 2 hour drive and one would think they're having to travel to Korea to play or something. 

If they were told that if they win they have to play in regionals they wouldn't bother.  The mindset completely baffles me. 

hogbert

I agree that ASSA probably needs to be rec only. Their problem, in my opinion, was they thought every club ought to be equal. So instead of helping the larger clubs be successful, they dumbed it down for the smaller town, smaller clubs. In doing that, they didn't help the smaller clubs/towns, and certainly hurt the larger. What you see has been a long time coming. US Club soccer gets it and has for a long time. I think this would've happened a long time ago if USYSA didn't have the more established regionals, etc. Just one man's opinion who has had 3 play rec then classic for one of the "big" clubs.

sirgiggs

USYSA as a whole has been so poorly run for so long it was just a matter of time.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas