• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Has anyone heard any news from the AAA board meetings this summer?

Started by beeroe, August 03, 2017, 08:53:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

beeroe

VHSCoach2

The horrible proposal for new classifications passed.

Top 16 schools will now be the 6A

Next 32 5A

Next 48 4A

Everyone else 3A

beeroe

Central AR

The schools getting kind of screwed are the middle of the pack 5A schools who are now barely in the new the 5A.

Rulesman

The Coach

Rulesman

sssuperpantherfan2

August 08, 2017, 08:17:14 pm #7 Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 06:32:04 am by sssuperpantherfan2
How do the new conferences look?

Go Postal

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on August 03, 2017, 11:43:24 am

Next 32 5A

Next 48 4A

Everyone else 3A

Here is a link to the reclassification 2018-2020

http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Admin/CLASSIFICATION_REPORT.pdf

Depending on if LRCA or PA decides to move up a classification, it looks like the 5A and 4A split between Magnolia and Batesville right now.

Thoughts?

chandler

I'll bet PA and LR Christian stay in 4A. Do y'all think Subi, Shiloh and CAC will stay in 4A?

Rocket23

Rocket23

I wonder how many of the top 48 play soccer?  LRCA would drop to 4A in soccer if top 16 are 6A and next 32 are 5A.

chandler

Right. But PA and LRCA usually play up one division since they are private schools.

chandler

35 of those teams have soccer for at least one gender...37 if you count Pea Ridge and Farmington, who are both rumored to be starting programs.

Go Postal

The 4A soccer towns West of Harrison, Berryville and Huntsville will all probably in the same NW Arkansas district with those 3 towns.  At least I'm guessing that is what they will do for basketball also.  Harrison boys/girls still need to keep playing larger conference towns (Siloam, for instance) to keep the level of intensity up that they are used to in soccer.

The Coach

Next 32 5A

Next 48 4A

Everyone else 3A

I'm not sure that all the schools in this new proposed 5A play soccer? So then what?And I'm Not sure there are enough to have 48 in 4A and then have another classification after that. 3A and below there prolly isn't enough to make a class unless it's 20-25 I guess. Unless that's gonna be ok by the aaa I don't know.

Buck183

Next 32 5A

Next 48 4A

Everyone else 3A

I'm confused.  AAA put this on their site.  http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Admin/CLASSIFICATION_REPORT.pdf

ArkansasSportsFan

Quote from: Buck183 on August 15, 2017, 12:39:53 pm
I'm confused.  AAA put this on their site.  http://members.ahsaa.org/public/userfiles/Admin/CLASSIFICATION_REPORT.pdf

That's only football, they take the numbers previously mentioned and apply that to only soccer schools and make up the 3a-6a classifications. 7a is only used in football.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong but that's my understanding of it.

Buck183

Quote from: ArkansasSportsFan on August 15, 2017, 01:01:48 pm
That's only football, they take the numbers previously mentioned and apply that to only soccer schools and make up the 3a-6a classifications. 7a is only used in football.

Ok, that makes sense.  Thank you.

Go Postal

Quote from: ArkansasSportsFan on August 15, 2017, 01:01:48 pm

I believe that is correct.  This is basically a list of all schools and they show a check mark of the ones that play football, which still go from 7A on down.  The largest 7A FOOTBALL school is considered the largest 6A school in other sports.  For instance, take Harrison, a multi-sport athlete plays football in the fall and is considered playing in the 5A West conference.  Basketball season starts and most schools do that sport, so due to the school's size, he would be playing in the 4A (to be named) district (conference?).  Spring comes around and not all schools larger than Harrison have a soccer program yet, so depending on the count of soccer playing schools above Harrison, the player could be playing maybe 5A or maybe 4A.  Add all that in, plus then take into account that some soccer playing schools only have a girl's team or a boy's team. Then you also have your private schools that can play a conference level up if they choose.  No it's not complicated or confusing at all.  LOL!

chandler

Not sure if y'all can read this, but I tried to attach it as a PDF and the site wouldn't let me.

https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/recent

I took it to mean the same 48 teams would be considered 5A for football only and 4A for every other sport. From there I assumed that if a school doesn't have soccer, that just lowers the number of teams in 4A without shifting up a team from 3A. Therefore if there are only 37 of 48 of those school with a boys soccer team (35 of 48 for girls), then 4A just has 37 boys team. I could be completely wrong. Please correct me if you know for sure that I am wrong.

chandler

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

August 19, 2017, 04:35:07 am #22 Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 05:58:08 am by Coach Sturdivant, Alma
I believe chandler is right.

It wasn't in the proposal that if you didn't have enough schools who played soccer in that particular classification that they would move schools up to fill it up to meet that set number So if there are only 37 boys teams playing soccer out of the 48,  you would have 37/48 for 4A boys. That's the way I interpreted the proposal.

The new "5A" would end up with only 31/32 boys teams with Watson Chapel not having soccer and probabaly 29/32 girls teams with Pine Bluff, WC and Fair most likely not fielding girls teams.

beeroe

To be honest I was really hoping that this would help out the smaller schools in the state....
3A and below schools that have to compete against very large 4 schools... But this does not appear to be the case.

VHSCoach2

Quote from: beeroe on August 19, 2017, 09:36:13 am
To be honest I was really hoping that this would help out the smaller schools in the state....
3A and below schools that have to compete against very large 4 schools... But this does not appear to be the case.

It only helps the (current) 16 6A schools who will drop down to combine with the top 16 5A schools.

Just like with the blended conferences, 6A gets their way and everyone else gets shafted.

chandler

I think it helps 3A teams by taking some really strong 4A teams out of their division. However, if CAC is not asked to play up in 4A, I see a lot more state titles in their future.

The Coach

Quote from: chandler on August 20, 2017, 12:33:49 pm
I think it helps 3A teams by taking some really strong 4A teams out of their division. However, if CAC is not asked to play up in 4A, I see a lot more state titles in their future.

The 3A will be some really bad soccer outside of CAC and maybe another team or 2.

In the end this proposal fixes nothing and is being forced onto several Schools without even considering how it effects all. Once again what the aaa wants it gets no matter what.

Go Postal

So if I'm understanding you guys right, the old 4A should be real interesting as the new 4A with the addition of former Boys and/or Girls state champions, DeQueen (6x), Valley View (2x), Harrison (12x), PA (9x), LRCA (6x) and Clarksville (1x).  That's not to mention the 23 state runner-ups that these town's teams have also.

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

LR Christian will still be 5A.

Largest new 5A is Jonesboro, smallest new 5A public is Paragould and LR Christian is smallest 5A private

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

Go Postal

Thanks Coach for the info.  Is this list also for basketball and baseball?

Coach Sturdivant, Alma

Yes this is the list that we were told would be for all other sports besides football, and that conferences would be decided mid September...although I think that the soccer conferences may not be out that early.

Does the AAA stay with four conferences or will they go to six conferences like football... That's a big ? Otherwise you still only play each conference team once in 4A. 

chandler

I kind of hope they have 4A soccer conferences be the exact same as the 4A basketball conferences minus the teams that don't have soccer. I guess that's pretty much the way they're handling 5A right now for soccer. Do those of you who are currently or recently in 5A like doing it that way or would you rather have larger conferences like 4A?

sssuperpantherfan2

I welcome the competition, it will make other programs stronger by playing better competition.

Mijally2

Quote from: chandler on August 23, 2017, 12:52:06 pm
I kind of hope they have 4A soccer conferences be the exact same as the 4A basketball conferences minus the teams that don't have soccer. I guess that's pretty much the way they're handling 5A right now for soccer. Do those of you who are currently or recently in 5A like doing it that way or would you rather have larger conferences like 4A?
I'm from Maumelle and have mixed feelings. We will have a solid senior laden team this year so we have a legit shot for a 5A title but will be rebuilding when the realignment takes place next year.  However I don't believe we are anywhere near the level of Siloam and Russellville either year. But I also feel the state championship has been diluted a bit with all the classifications.  Seems like some would prefer to be the big fish in the small pond rather than have to compete with big schools for a more significant title.

tevez

I suspect 4a will stay with 4 conferences - 12 teams in each conference (updated to reflect that there will be 48 4A teams, although not all will have soccer.)

chandler

Quote from: tevez on September 06, 2017, 06:47:25 pm
I suspect 4a will stay with 4 conferences - 8 teams in each conference

4A will still have 48 teams so that is impossible. Even when you take out the schools that don't have soccer, you still have more than 32 teams.

beach bum

I liked the fact that 4A had those big conferences in soccer and I hope they keep it that way. I wish they followed suit in other sports although I know they never will. I hate having a large percentage of non conference games since they have no bearing toward making postseason play. I like how soccer really quickly gets into the nitty gritty of playing meaningful games that go toward postseason seeding. I wish in football, basketball, and baseball they had less conferences and 10 team leagues. In football you would have 1 non conference game to tune up and then boom right into 9 straight conference games. That is why I liked the big 4A soccer conferences.

tevez

Quote from: chandler on September 17, 2017, 09:57:13 am
4A will still have 48 teams so that is impossible. Even when you take out the schools that don't have soccer, you still have more than 32 teams.

Not sure why I had 32 in my mind...you are right chandler it is 48. I will update my post.

I do see the AAA defining it still as 4 conferences with 12 teams, which personally I think is too many for a conference. (Give or take a few when you eliminate the schools without soccer)

I think 6-4A conferences with 8 teams would be the way to go, just like football but I just don't see that happening. (That would require people to figure byes, etc.)

beeroe

Scheduling Spring time games are a bit more challenging tham in the fall. Not only do we have weather to deal with you also have spring testing dates to work around (SAT&ACT, EOC, as well as the other hoop jumping tests) and state finals in other sports (as it seems that you have more dual sport athletes in the spring than the fall). The larger schools can handle this pressure a little easier as they have deeper rosters to absorb a loss of a student or two. But the smaller schools can be devastated by these issues.

I am for smaller conferences which are more competitively balanced. Perhaps even with home and away series if available.

tevez

Quote from: beeroe on September 18, 2017, 01:25:40 pm
Scheduling Spring time games are a bit more challenging tham in the fall. Not only do we have weather to deal with you also have spring testing dates to work around (SAT&ACT, EOC, as well as the other hoop jumping tests) and state finals in other sports (as it seems that you have more dual sport athletes in the spring than the fall). The larger schools can handle this pressure a little easier as they have deeper rosters to absorb a loss of a student or two. But the smaller schools can be devastated by these issues.

I am for smaller conferences which are more competitively balanced. Perhaps even with home and away series if available.

+1

I think this nails a lot of the issues that 4A & Below are faced with.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas