• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Should success in one sport carry over?

Started by UncleRico, March 19, 2017, 08:49:49 am

Previous topic - Next topic

UncleRico

So Parkview and Mills played for the basketball championship this year and both had a rough go at in football this year. I saw several tweets and post saying, with those athletes they should be competitive in football. (They weren't that nice about it lol) So my question is should success in one sport mean success in another?

Red Devil Alum

5 good players wins a state championship in basketball. Might not win a game in football.

JessieP

That is one of my biggest head scratchers here in Batesville. Every year the football team competes for a State Championship, Baseball is always near the top, track and field very good. When it comes to basketball we often go 0-fer in the warm-up lay-up lines. It's bizarre.

Chief_Osceola™

Each sport requires a different skill set, whether it be football, basketball, baseball, track, soccer, tennis, etc.  Some skills will translate from one sport to another, but even those that do are not absolute.  Even things like coordination, agility, speed, and strength are not a one-size-fits-all from one sport to the next.

Coach DePriest, Sheridan

Nice thought provoking question.  I do think that LRSD/PCSSD schools are a different animal than the other 200+ schools.  I think it will be interesting to see what happens at Parkview this fall with Brad Bolding as their head coach and having hired some good assistants.

Better question might be which sport's success is the best indicator of success in other sports. Also, does success in one sport hinder the success of others. We can all come up with anecdotal evidence to support whichever argument we want to make, but this seems like a research intensive project for somebody.

FD4

Also, the smaller schools which do not field a football team tend to be very good at baseball and basketball, which tend to be the bulk of highschool sports today.  Football can fall into that category at the small school level, but it has to be one of those that can generate the interest.  Many parents wont let little Johnny play football because the risk of getting hurt may cause him to miss part of his real talent as a forward or a shortstop.  Even then, if you are successful at the diamond, you should be successful on the court as well.  Track and field is an area that a lot of schools are slowly getting away from.  Back in my day of single bar face masks, it was unheard of not to run track.  You always had guys come out for track that did nothing but track and field.

Mr. Mercer

Go look at those two bball rosters and then look at the football rosters. I bet there's not 3 players between the two who play football. Got to get them out before that all is going to change

millsalum14

March 22, 2017, 08:56:47 pm #7 Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:00:18 am by millsalum14
It really depends on the athletic program and the type of kids you have. Sport specialization is becoming more popular, so kids won't even consider playing more than one sport.

When you show kids that they have a chance to be good in more than one sport (more chances to win a state championship ring) while developing themselves and getting ready for their "specialized" sport, that usually tends to get them going.

Rico, on the topic of Parkview and Mills, I believe that there are a total of four kids between those squads that play more than one sport, and they all play for Mills.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas