• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

5A State Tournament Info

Started by Manwe, March 01, 2014, 10:27:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Manwe

sevenof400

Thanks to Manwe for that info and click here for that link. 

artraveler

Reminder: when you walk into the Charles B. Dyer Arena, there are clearly marked "Home" and "Visitor" signs, including directional arrows which will point you in the right direction for your team.  Home teams go to the left, visitors to the right.
Since there are multiple teams visiting, please be considerate and sit on the designated side for your team. There is no "better" side than another. Every team gets half the arena, with plenty of seats for students and fans. We hope you enjoy your visit and your teams play well.

AT

March 01, 2014, 11:28:22 am #3 Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 11:30:33 am by Almatrackster
Just some information for people who haven't been to Alma:

The choice of good sit down restaurants to eat are slim now with Red Rooster moving. Here's some restaurants, including fast food. (Almost all of these are located somewhere on Highway 71, which is the main navigation road through Alma)

Fast Food
McDonald's
Braum's
Burger King
KFC
Taco Bell
Subway
Sonic (can't forget the Alma Sonic)

"Sit down/service"
Pizza Place (in the same outlet place as Sonic, kind of hard to find, but good pizza)
Pizza Parlour
Geno's Pizza
Catfish Hole
Steakhouse

For anyone who enjoys doing things or having a nightlife (or a full 24 hour Steve Perry life), there's not a whole lot to do in Alma. You'll have to go to Van Buren for the closest movie theater or Fort Smith for everything else.

Be warned, I-540 around the Fort Smith area is under construction and at any rush hour time, you'll be in traffic for quite awhile.

As for the tournament venue itself...

Parking is probably Alma's weakest point when it comes to hosting. Students are in school during the early games, so they are taking some parking spots (I think Alma asks the students to only park in certain places, but I can't remember). The parking spot in front of the Arena will fill up quick and will pretty much never be empty. Any other spot, you'll have to cross a street or walk a country mile.

Everything else is excellent. I think us Alma fans take the Arena for granted by now, but it is SPECTACULAR. The best high school gym in the state, no doubt. Even in the BIG BIG games, you will find a seat almost guaranteed and the video board and overall atmosphere is fun. The concession stand is excellent. Popcorn is top notch and the Chik-Fil-A sandwiches are always good and cheap. A variety of candy and drinks are available.

Hope everyone enjoys their visit to Charles B. Dyer arena. Take a look around at the pictures hanging up around the arena for some Alma history. We hang up pictures for State championship and state runner up teams. It's neat.

Manwe

The AAA has released the revised brackets. The most important changes are: 1. The Tournament will begin on Wed. instead of Tues. 2. Games will be played on Sunday beginning at 12:30 p.m. 3. The games will begin earlier on Saturday in order to assist teams who will play late on Saturday and then turn around and play on Sunday. End of Course exams are the following week so it is important that students are back in class on Monday which is the rationale for playing on Sunday. Also. everyone needs to remember to "Spring Forward" Saturday night so they won't be late for the games on Sunday. All 5A Tournament information is at almsd.net.

Manwe

The AAA has released the revised brackets. The most important changes are: 1. The Tournament will begin on Wed. instead of Tues. 2. Games will be played on Sunday beginning at 12:30 p.m. 3. The games will begin earlier on Saturday in order to assist teams who will play late on Saturday and then turn around and play on Sunday. End of Course exams are the following week so it is important that students are back in class on Monday which is the rationale for playing on Sunday. Also. everyone needs to remember to "Spring Forward" Saturday night so they won't be late for the games on Sunday. All 5A Tournament information is at almasd.net.

ahsalum

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 01, 2014, 11:28:22 am

The choice of good sit down restaurants to eat are slim now with Red Rooster moving. Here's some restaurants, including fast food. (Almost all of these are located somewhere on Highway 71, which is the main navigation road through Alma)

Fast Food
McDonald's
Braum's
Burger King
KFC
Taco Bell
Subway
Sonic (can't forget the Alma Sonic)

"Sit down/service"
Pizza Place (in the same outlet place as Sonic, kind of hard to find, but good pizza)
Pizza Parlour
Geno's Pizza
Catfish Hole
Steakhouse

From 1-40, go north on Hwy 71, 1.3 miles, on the left is Crawpappys.....a cajun restaurant that serves alcohol for all of you that need an adult beverage.

PercussionMan

Quote from: Almatrackster on March 01, 2014, 11:28:22 am

Fast Food
Braum's

"Sit down/service"
Catfish Hole

My personal favorites...almost a must any time I go to Alma!

hasbeen03

Wife and I had Catfish Hole last month and it was INCREDIBLE.

AT

Forgot to mention the Mexican restaurants:

La Fiesta (also on Highway 71)

El Trio (across from Alma's Wal-Mart Supercenter, if you are going towards Van Buren on HWY 64, it's on your right, kind of tucked away in a big parking lot where the old Alma Wal-Mart used to be.)

Manwe

The AAA is changing the State Basketball Tournament dates again. New bracket will be posted at almasd.net as soon as possible.

Manwe

The updated bracket is now available at almasd.net. Games will be Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Monday, Tuesday.

Manwe

The Alma School District has requested permission to provide live internet broadcasts of all games and has been denied by the AAA.

hasbeen03

Quote from: Manwe on March 05, 2014, 10:37:07 am
The Alma School District has requested permission to provide live internet broadcasts of all games and has been denied by the AAA.

Freakin' money grubbing jerks... I can't stand the AAA.

BillyJack™

FROM THE ALMA SCHOOL DISTRICT ADMINISTRATION OFFICE:

LIVE STREAM OF 5A BASKETBALL TOURNAMENT

The only games that will be live streamed here are those in which one of the Alma teams is playing.

We petitioned the Arkansas Activities Association for permission to stream ALL games, especially considering the change in many people's travel plans due to the weather caused change in the schedule. Our request was denied.

We appreciate your understanding.

DogsWin7

Is it basically left up to each school to stream their own?   

It was nice that Alma tried to provide a stream of all games. 

Go Postal

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 05, 2014, 08:52:07 pm
Is it basically left up to each school to stream their own?   

It was nice that Alma tried to provide a stream of all games.
I agree.  Kudos to the Airedalenation.  At least as long as the West boys/girls win, there will be some video/audio streaming.

ZoneBuster

Has the AAA changed the rules from 2 years ago?

Go Postal

I believe that they "updated" audio/video steaming.  But hey, this America, I believe  that those people that stream of their schools have to pay the AAA for live streaming of games.

insert the Pink Floyd's song here.

DogsWin7

Go Postal

of course you do.  That is one reason of many reasons that we are friends.

DogsWin7

Quote from: Go Postal on March 05, 2014, 10:25:14 pm
of course you do.  That is one reason of many reasons that we are friends.
Thanks Postal :)

Bondfan4ever

Will the arena be open by 10:30/10:45 tomorrow morning?  I'm planning on leaving Beebe around 7 am and want to make it there in plenty of time to get set up.  Speaking of set up, where will the radio announcers set up?  On the floor or up on the second level?  What about programs/rosters/hospitality room?

Downnotout

Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 05, 2014, 10:16:40 pm
I like pink floyd. 
I am just a new boy. A stranger in this town. Where are all the good times? Who's gonna show this stranger around

DogsWin7

Quote from: Downnotout on March 07, 2014, 07:52:50 pm
Quote from: DiehardFBfan on March 05, 2014, 10:16:40 pm
I like pink floyd. 
I am just a new boy. A stranger in this town. Where are all the good times? Who's gonna show this stranger around

I ran the other night listening to Shine On You Crazy Diamond and another song....granted it was a slow pace but I enjoyed it.   A very close friend suggested I listen to their music about a year ago and I'm glad I did.     

centralarfan

Please tell me that there is at least one station covering a game today?  If your local station is broadcasting, please provide a link. Thanks!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas