• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Berryville

Started by xcat, March 20, 2017, 10:10:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RZback

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on April 08, 2017, 09:35:05 pm
Laird is the best name on that list.

He would be a good choice but I don't think he's in the running.

game on

Interviews done?  Hopefully they will get someone with experience and get that program turned around.

beach bum

Quote from: RZback on April 09, 2017, 11:01:42 am
He would be a good choice but I don't think he's in the running.

Too qualified for their liking I guess? What is up with these schools no longer picking the candidate with the best resume and best track record of winning?

beach bum

Quote from: game on on April 09, 2017, 02:39:57 pm
Hopefully they will get someone with EXPERIENCE and get that program turned around.

That would be Laird....

RZback

Quote from: beach bum on April 09, 2017, 02:54:17 pm
Too qualified for their liking I guess? What is up with these schools no longer picking the candidate with the best resume and best track record of winning?

Experience creates a problem for some right away.  Experience means they have a way of doing things they like and not necessarily the way things have been getting done. That means some people have to accept change and thats not always want they want.

footballfan-tastic

Is the program going to be improved with the 4th new coach in less than 10 years? Spring ball is coming up.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: RZback on April 09, 2017, 03:42:28 pm
Experience creates a problem for some right away.  Experience means they have a way of doing things they like and not necessarily the way things have been getting done. That means some people have to accept change and thats not always want they want.
You would think change would be good in Berryville unless it's the band.

footballfan-tastic

The list of applicants is a mix of people with experience and those with not a lot of experience. I never heard what their requirements were.

PGDefense

I thought word might get out on here but apparently it hasn't. I didn't want to make a big deal out of this but in fairness to Berryville and the criticism that might come about as a result of their decision for the new head coach...I was actually scheduled to interview for the position on Tuesday night ( along with other candidates). But I called them back on Monday and asked them to withdraw my name from the list of candidates. And this had nothing to do with anything negative at Berryville. Just wasn't the right move for my family. I wish Berryville good luck.

nuttinbuthogs

Had heard that but assumed it was a rumor.

OfficerHightower

Not sure it would've mattered who pulled out. Think they had a guy in mind all along. He'd be a big hire for them, Just a matter whether he'll accept. And no he's not on that list...

RZback

Quote from: OfficerHightower on April 09, 2017, 08:55:14 pm
Not sure it would've mattered who pulled out. Think they had a guy in mind all along. He'd be a big hire for them, Just a matter whether he'll accept. And no he's not on that list...

I think Laird was on the top of that list before he pulled out and there have been a few other names floating around, some not on the list so its hard to tell what may happened.  Hopefully they get a good one.

beach bum

Quote from: nuttinbuthogs on March 31, 2017, 10:04:41 pm
You sure took a swipe at Berryville.  Looks like Laird thought Berryville was worth his time even if you don't.  Lincoln may have made a mistake by not hiring Laird, but hiring Davenport wasn't it.

It isn't taking a swipe at Berryville. It is called the reality of the situation that they are in the 1-4A with three other schools that are near the top of 4A on a routine basis now in Prairie Grove, Pea Ridge, and Shiloh Christian and the shear fact of where they are geographically compared to the other seven schools which creates a different type of economic/social demographic which is tied to athletic and academic success so often and that is proven with data too. I don't care who is coaching Berryville they will have a hard time beating those 3 schools. Anyone with some thinking put forth could tell you that..... Coach Laird is one of the best coordinators in the 4A meaning he could have landed some pretty solid 3A or 4A HC jobs if he had wanted to along the way AND that Berryville has to be on the short list of most difficult places to have success in football in the entire 4A. So therefore I just was stating the obvious.

SUGARTOWN

Kraig Crist

Let's look at the Hiring Trend for BV:

Ronnie Clark- Hired from Clinton when Moses was a small child

Ben Lairimore- Ronnie Clark Assistant

Carl Owens- Hired from Blytheville?

Doug Scheel- Morrilton via newport via magnolia via Booneville

Bobby Bishop- Longtime BV assistant

Eric Daniel- Mansfield via rison via wynne

Blue Raider AKA Lee Atkins- Out of state

Austin Winters- Hold over from Daniels and Atkins staff.

So... if i were guessing they are bringing the long lost son home.

OfficerHightower

Not personal toward Laird, don't know him at all. That'd be my question, any experience beyond Coord experience at 1 4A school? All I am saying is I know 2 names that interviewed that would be much much more experienced hires. Like I said those 2 names you won't find on a list. 1 of which has ties to the area

FBFan92

The hire has already been made. Just waiting on board approval.  and I can promise you the name is not on the list.

Kraig Crist

Quote from: FBFan92 on April 10, 2017, 10:54:59 am
The hire has already been made. Just waiting on board approval.  and I can promise you the name is not on the list.

I would say you and I both know who it is and it's probably who they should have hired 4 years ago.

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: FBFan92 on April 10, 2017, 10:54:59 am
When is the board meeting?

beach bum

April 10, 2017, 12:23:17 pm #69 Last Edit: April 10, 2017, 12:29:55 pm by beach bum
Quote from: OfficerHightower on April 10, 2017, 10:52:05 am
Not personal toward Laird, don't know him at all. That'd be my question, any experience beyond Coord experience at 1 4A school? All I am saying is I know 2 names that interviewed that would be much much more experienced hires. Like I said those 2 names you won't find on a list. 1 of which has ties to the area

If I remember correctly when he was young and upcoming he was HC at Palestine Wheatley and West Fork... And spent time as an assistant at Nashville. Don't quote that as 100% holy truth but I am fairly sure. So he has plenty of experience.  He is however "just a coordinator" of a team with 54 wins in the last 5 years with just one DI signing. Laird is an extremely humble person, but the PG people will tell you how lucky they are to have him and the other coaches they have. So would you rather have a guy who was HC of a team that was 8-42 over that same stretch just because he was a head coach? PG routinely has a top defense with less talent than plenty of other top 4A programs. Honestly though, schools now are so cheap and just want young guys who they can pay 10-15K less per year most of the time anyway just like in the corporate world too now. It isn't even about getting the best coach anymore at these lower tier schools of any classification. It is about schools being too cheap just like the rest of the working world too.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: Kraig Crist on April 10, 2017, 10:58:28 am
I would say you and I both know who it is and it's probably who they should have hired 4 years ago.

So is this a favorite son hire or a turn the program around hire.  BV had an opportunity to get a solid coach but for some reason he pulled out.  Nothing against anyone but BV has struggled too long.

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: OfficerHightower on April 10, 2017, 10:52:05 am
Laird was a head coach before coming to PG.  Don't know much about his success but he has a proven record as a DC at Prairie Grove.  He would be or would have been a good choice.  As for others who would be better maybe maybe not. But we can hope they get a good one. They need an experienced coach and one who understands small schools and the pitfalls that go with it. If they don't get experience they need a guy who understands defense, Laird would have been that guy for sure.

Jimbo Morphis

Still pulling for Cleophus. Berryville needs a big name hire.

SUGARTOWN

Quote from: Oldman on April 10, 2017, 01:42:46 pm
Still pulling for Cleophus. Berryville needs a big name hire.

No matter who it is, several people on here will say this is either a "great hire" or a "home run hire". This is said on almost every coaching hire throughout the classes on Fearless.

Spoiler alert: They're not ALL great.

nuttinbuthogs

Quote from: SUGARTOWN on April 10, 2017, 01:53:56 pm
No matter who it is, several people on here will say this is either a "great hire" or a "home run hire". This is said on almost every coaching hire throughout the classes on Fearless.

Spoiler alert: They're not ALL great.

True.   I have heard a few names that are not on  the list and it makes me think if they were true or just idle gossip. A couple sounded like good picks.

OfficerHightower

Wow! Guess I stirred up a baby hornets nest of PG faithful! Already said it was nothing personal toward Laird. Only made a factual statement that a couple of guys that were interviewed where much more experienced. And with yalls info, confirmed it. These 2 I'm talking about have Coord experience at  small and big schools, and under some big name HCs.
As far as the "favorite son" hire? If you meant that as being negative your ignorant of the facts.  There was a qualified applicant that did have a Dad that coached there, 1 of only 2 coaches in program history that actually had a real winning season, meaning they also won a playoff game. Something even the mighty PG used to have a trouble doing. I remember many years seeing a great reg season record only to host a 1st round loss... anyway Berryville can be competitive again, hopefully this hire will be a big step in that direction!!

Kraig Crist

So when does Carl Owens Jr. start?

SaintsRow123

Quote from: Kraig Crist on April 11, 2017, 09:03:36 am
So when does Carl Owens Jr. start?

He was on the short list, but was ruled out yesterday is what my friend who knows him personally said. He received the call yesterday afternoon. I know the last 2 left they were very impressed with and they are not on the list everyone has seen. One is from a bigger northwest Arkansas school and the other is from a town where the springs are hot from my understanding. Word is he will be starting in time for spring ball.

Jimbo Morphis

Gotta be Cleophus. We're talking a guru whose offense's could not be stopped when he was at West Memphis.

Beaver Fever

SaintsRow123

Quote from: Beaver Fever on April 11, 2017, 12:09:23 pm
Hot Springs?????? ::)

Thats what I have heard from friends who know a lot of coaches. That is rumor though, you never know.  ::)

Kraig Crist

Quote from: SaintsRow123 on April 11, 2017, 09:28:39 am

He was on the short list, but was ruled out yesterday is what my friend who knows him personally said. He received the call yesterday afternoon. I know the last 2 left they were very impressed with and they are not on the list everyone has seen. One is from a bigger northwest Arkansas school and the other is from a town where the springs are hot from my understanding. Word is he will be starting in time for spring ball.

What kind of idiot would leave Hot Springs for the land of chicken houses and tyson debone?

gameoflife

Sounds like a Good hire coming. 

beach bum

April 11, 2017, 01:35:43 pm #83 Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:41:18 pm by beach bum
Quote from: Kraig Crist on April 11, 2017, 01:20:26 pm
What kind of idiot would leave Hot Springs for the land of chicken houses and tyson debone?

Tyson is a garbage company.... They are always being hit with ethics violations, and the people in suits & ties at home office run that corporation shady to say the least.

Kraig Crist

Quote from: beach bum on April 11, 2017, 01:35:43 pm
Tyson is a garbage company.... They are always being hit with ethics violations and the people in suits at home office run that corporation shady to say the least.

Let it be noted that Beach Bum let us know how he really felt about a fortune 500 company on 4/11/2017 at 1:35 pm. An uber will be stopping by your house to pick you up and take you to XNA where you will fly to Chicago on United's new "fightclub" Airbus.

Have a wonderful day!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: beach bum on April 11, 2017, 01:35:43 pm
Tyson is a garbage company.... They are always being hit with ethics violations, and the people in suits & ties at home office run that corporation shady to say the least.
So why did they fire you?

gameoflife

Beach Bum doesn't have much good to say unless its about PG.

game on

Sounds like Berryville made a move in the right direction.

prHOG13

we_hate_the_band

Quote from: prHOG13 on April 11, 2017, 03:25:19 pm
Shouldn't be hard to guess

He threw eggs at you twice?

prHOG13

Quote from: we_hate_the_band on April 11, 2017, 08:43:08 pm
He threw eggs at you twice?
he doesn't have the arm strength

footballfan-tastic

If the word out there is correct looks like BV made a good choice, experience and leadership, and is moving toward a better football program. 

beach bum

April 12, 2017, 10:26:40 am #92 Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 10:31:55 am by beach bum
Quote from: Oldman on April 11, 2017, 02:40:39 pm
So why did they fire you?

Obviously never worked there. Not that hard, every week you open the newspaper it has another article on Tyson being hit with ethics/work place violations. There are still a few people here and there in my generation that stills reads the newspaper. I try to get my information from more than just Fox News. Their headline would read "Crybaby employees question why they need food and water during their 8 hour shift because that is asking for way too much"

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: beach bum on April 12, 2017, 10:26:40 am
Obviously never worked there. Not that hard, every week you open the newspaper it has another article on Tyson being hit with ethics/work place violations. There are still a few people here and there in my generation that stills reads the newspaper. I try to get my information from more than just Fox News. Their headline would read "Crybaby employees question why they need food and water during their 8 hour shift because that is asking for way too much"
I still read the paper everyday also. Aren't the people on Fox news wanting to get rid of most of those Tyson employees?

Iknewthemwhen

Quote from: Kraig Crist on April 11, 2017, 01:20:26 pm

Hopefully one that is a go getter.  I hear good things and maybe BV can make a big move.  They have made some improvement the last couple of years but maybe this will get them over the hump.

nuttinbuthogs

The Bobcats need some strong defense. If they can stop people they will win more games.

FBFan92

Today is the day it will be announced....

Kraig Crist

Quote from: FBFan92 on April 13, 2017, 08:35:46 am
Today is the day it will be announced....

Want me to go ahead and start the thread for Berryville Coach Search 2020?

FBFan92

April 13, 2017, 09:12:16 am #98 Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 09:14:00 am by FBFan92
 :) :)
Quote from: Kraig Crist on April 13, 2017, 08:55:19 am
Want me to go ahead and start the thread for Berryville Coach Search 2020?
LOL!!!

RZback

Quote from: FBFan92 on April 13, 2017, 09:12:16 am
:) :)LOL!!!

Lets wait and see it the new coach makes a difference.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas