• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Vilonia Boys BBall

Started by Hogskin, April 15, 2014, 09:30:20 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogskin

What is going on? Hearing some bully issues going on from HC to asst leaving and lawyering up. Isnt this the fourth B-ball coach in two years that needed a lawyer at Vilonia?

ab24

whats the word on the drama at Vilonia?

Hogskin

New HC apparently doesnt get along with anyone. Which is fine if you have won beforehand but according to the players his basketball IQ is not up to par. What was his record before? Why was he hired without asking previous schools about his ethics? Is this normal or an admin defientcy

Eagle20

turftime

Heard they might get J Erwin to advice the BB program.

Brucewayne

AT

It's not a real sports year unless there's some Vilonia drama involving coaches.

Bwertz

Does anybody know this coach? I have spoke to him personally and on many of occasions. He knows a great deal about the game and is a good leader. You have to remember that  he is a new coach to the area and yes there is an adjustment period to his coaching style. Vilonia just went from a coach who knew nothing about the game to a coach who knows the game of basketball and wants to win. He is the type of coach who takes the time to know these kids from junior high up and I have a lot of respect for this Coach.

AT

In all seriousness, this guy really does seem like a good coach. He gave Vilonia an identity this year which I hadn't seen in years past.

zebrafan69

turftime

Goers went 7--7 in conference this year last year V--Town was 1---13. Sounds like he knows something.

basketballfan3

Goers knows basketball and is a good coach. He took a Booneville team to their first state tournament appearance and won a game in the tourney. That team did not have great talent but he had the kids playing hard and well together and they enjoyed playing for him. As for this year, from what I remember Vilonia was much better than they had been the past several years. Can anyone who knows share what actually has taken place between the coaches? I hope whatever it is, that the issues will be resolved.

turftime

Goers has them heading in the right direction. From what I read his wife was named Asst. Principal at new school. So the lawyers can go back to chasing car accidents and stay away from the basketball coaches.

TSW

Quote from: Bwertz on April 19, 2014, 10:58:12 am
Does anybody know this coach? I have spoke to him personally and on many of occasions. He knows a great deal about the game and is a good leader. You have to remember that  he is a new coach to the area and yes there is an adjustment period to his coaching style. Vilonia just went from a coach who knew nothing about the game to a coach who knows the game of basketball and wants to win. He is the type of coach who takes the time to know these kids from junior high up and I have a lot of respect for this Coach.

For you to say your last coach new nothing about the game , shows you no nothing about basketball .

Eagle20

I agree with the previous statement.  As an outsider looking in your last coach was a very good coach and well respected in the basketball coaching community.  You might not have liked his style but he was a very good coach!

vtowneagles

The last coach tried to run a inside game with 6"2 centers...never adapted to what kind of players he had! His system would work in college where he can recruite the players to run it! Can't run a dominate inside game with small centers!

Bwertz

TSW

You don't know me or what I know about basketball. But if you want we can compare basketball knowledge anytime you want. The last coach did nothing to teach the game of basketball to the younger kids and build his program. The new coach does that and spends time teaching them fundamentals and working on their games. He also has the high school kids spending time with the pee wee kids helping them out. So this new coach has the program going in the write direction.

turftime

Everyone was sick of the old style scoring 35 points a game and 1 kid with the green light to shoot. Bwertz is dead on

TSW

Quote from: turftime on April 27, 2014, 06:13:56 pm
Everyone was sick of the old style scoring 35 points a game and 1 kid with the green light to shoot. Bwertz is dead on

I guess your kid was not the one w green light
I watched him coach this year and happen to like what he is doing .
I do not have a kid playing and like watching a team that plays good defense and works the ball inside. Guess you can call me old school.I don't see vilonia having
the athletes to run and gun . You may not like his style but say he doesn't know basketball is not dead on.

vtowneagles

I agree TWS coach Davis knew the game of basketball BUT he refused to adapt to his players! There is no way ur gonna work the ball inside every poss with 185 pound 6"2 big men! Just not going to work! I also agree vilonia didn't have the athletes to run and gun like they tried.. They need to run more of a pick and role with spot of shooters! Vilonia has plenty of shooters and a couple big men who can score down low! All you need is a guard that can run the pick and role!

Moonshiner

Quote from: vtowneagles on April 28, 2014, 01:11:19 am
I agree TWS coach Davis knew the game of basketball BUT he refused to adapt to his players! There is no way ur gonna work the ball inside every poss with 185 pound 6"2 big men! Just not going to work! I also agree vilonia didn't have the athletes to run and gun like they tried.. They need to run more of a pick and role with spot of shooters! Vilonia has plenty of shooters and a couple big men who can score down low! All you need is a guard that can run the pick and role!

It sounds like you agree with his style more than you think you do. You're saying passing it around trying to get it in to a shorter post wasn't successfull.  But then you said they have a couple of bigs who can score down low?
Sounds like you just wanted him to open up the offense a little more for the shooters. 
Were they makers? Or just shooters?  I never saw them play.

Forrest City H

The town of Vilonia has been devastated by a tornado, and destruction is everywhere with multiple deaths.  Suddenly, the boys assistant coach getting his little feelings hurt doesn't seem nearly as important. 

Oldref

Prayers for everyone in that area from NEA.

vtowneagles

They have big men now that coach Davis didn't have!

Bwertz

The big men they have now are not just post players like coach Davis would want them. Their bigs are good shooters and are used well in Coach Goers scheme.

turftime

TSW  He was 4--8 in conference  really fun to watch.

TSW

Quote from: turftime on May 03, 2014, 11:59:33 am
TSW  He was 4--8 in conference  really fun to watch.

I understand. I jumped in because someone said coach Davis didn't know basketball .  Which is false I don't know what kinda talent he had , but he does know the game.
May not have been what y'all wanted, but he is not a bad coach at all. All depends on what your looking for. .  I like defense more than offense . Maybe just I'm old fashion

turftime

Is Davis the head coach or Asst. coach of the all star game.

vtowneagles

Vteagle

The new coach is changing the culture of basketball program from the elementary all the way to the high school! It was something that needed to be done!

sevenof400

For those who may not have heard already, Coach Jay Moore is headed to Heber Springs to assume the HC duties there.  Click here for story.

Moonshiner

Was he well liked at Vilonia?

Vteagle

I would say he WILL be eady to replace!  Nice guy, not a great coach!

Jimmymack

Coach Moore will do a great job at Heber. 

turftime

Dad  3.6 here what about that ? Jay is a good man and runs a heck of a NCAA basketball bracket.

Jimmymack

Hogskin

New Coach has succeeded at running his entire staff off from Elem on up. His asst left his jr high head left and 4 players are quiting is that the way to build a program we will see. He will now have to coach without someone to turn to when he doesnt know what to do when opposition throws him for a loop like a simple zone defense. Will be very intresting, to see who will replace these guys who left because everyone in house refuses to work for him and other coaches know better then to be associated with that program, maybe someone will come to his rescue but word on the street is he is a mess to work with.

Vteagle

Horrible description of Vilonia Basketball program! Your opinion of coach Goers is your opinion.....my opinion is he is "running off" kids that r lazy and don't want to work or kids who THINK the deserve more playing time! Coach Moore, as I stated earlier is an ok coach at best, 7th grade basketball coach is completely lost! Coach Goers will do fine as long as kids are willing to work and play as a team!!

sevenof400

June 24, 2014, 10:56:16 am #38 Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 10:57:49 am by sevenof400
Quote from: Hogskin on June 24, 2014, 10:27:14 am
New Coach has succeeded at running his entire staff off from Elem on up. His asst left his jr high head left and 4 players are quiting is that the way to build a program we will see. He will now have to coach without someone to turn to when he doesnt know what to do when opposition throws him for a loop like a simple zone defense. Will be very intresting, to see who will replace these guys who left because everyone in house refuses to work for him and other coaches know better then to be associated with that program, maybe someone will come to his rescue but word on the street is he is a mess to work with.

Because word on the street is such a credible source.....

(At least) one thing not mentioned in that previous post was the fact that the Jr High coach is now a head varsity coach at his new school.

We should all hope to be 'run off' like that......

turftime

Hogskin you like to stir the pot. Sometimes the dead weight has to go. The 1's that left needed to  get with the program or hit the road. 

sevenof400

And lets throw this possibility out for consideration. 

What if the number of people interested in the program was so large that some reduction needed to be made?  For any program, there is a limit to the number of players it can support and develop. 

Batman44

sevenof400, please go to the 1A thread regarding coaching and explain to them that you cannot coach 25-30 players effectively. There are those out there that think you can. I'm not one of them.

Batman44

Sorry 400, it's on the 4A instead of the 1A.

sevenof400

Quote from: Batman44 on June 27, 2014, 05:07:27 pm
sevenof400, please go to the 1A thread regarding coaching and explain to them that you cannot coach 25-30 players effectively. There are those out there that think you can. I'm not one of them.

Is this akin to asking me to run with scissors?

Batman44

Well, something like that. Proceed at your own risk.

Hogskin

Not trying to stir pot and I hope new coach has success there. I just know there has to be a better way to bulid a program then to burn bridges everywhere you go, run off all coaches and then say you have to many kids to coach. Hopefully AAU ball will get his kids ready for next year that way they can see what talent and athletes do to prepare for the next level. How many boys are playing AAU this summer? 

turftime

Been at tech all year but heard Goers and the  Eagles are the team to beat. They are tall and can shoot the ball.

Jimmymack

Son , your mother and I are gonna send you to boarding school if you get thrown in jail one more time!

turftime

Dad it was not my fault the girl made me do it.

Jimmymack

always a women to blame , but I know it's my own dang fault  lol

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas