• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Wynne Christmas Tournament

Started by ACE DUECE, November 18, 2008, 12:37:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ACE DUECE

Anyone know who all is in the Wynne Christmas Tournament?

neafbfan

If it's the girls tournament, Marion for sure. Check out topone, he's from that area and may know. I think BaldKnob may be in again.

OC

Boys First Round:

Newport vs. Hughes
Cordova vs. Searcy
Millington Central vs. Marion
Wynne vs. Bald Knob

Girls Teams

Bald Knob
Wynne
Searcy
Pine Bluff
Forrest City
Stuttgart
Hughes
??

neafbfan

Are you sure Marion girls are "not" in it this year? This will be on great tournament on the girls side. The boys side is not too shabby either.

OC

marion girls are in it for sure.

sure beats the NEA, huh???

neafbfan

3 game guarantee always wins over one and done

topone

This should be a good tournament again this year and the format beats the NEA by far...

neafbfan

Quote from: OC on November 21, 2008, 11:50:43 pm
Girls Teams

Bald Knob
Wynne
Searcy
Pine Bluff
Forrest City
Stuttgart
Hughes
??

IF Marion is in this tourney, I'm picking the finish like this

1. Marion
2. Searcy
3. Bald Knob
4. Wynne
5. Forrest City
6. Stuttgart
7. Pine Bluff
8. Hughes

Forrest City H

I believe Searcy girls recently lost their outstanding point guard for the season to a knee injury - if that is true, that is a real shame for them, she really made them go.    :(

shaniqua

Searcy girls still had enough to beat Conway last night in the Searcy Bank finals, 40-38 according to the Demozette.

LionCatfan

Girls Division Game Schedule:

BOTTOM OF BRACKETT
Game 1: Monday 10:00 AM    Searcy vs Forrest City
Game 2: Monday  1:00 PM     Bald Knob vs Pine Bluff

TOP OF BRACKETT
Game 3: Monday  4:00 PM     Stuttgart vs Marion
Game 4: Monday  7:00 PM     Wynne vs Hughes

Winner Game 1 vs Game 2    Tuesday 4:00 PM
Winner Game 3 vs Game 4    Tuesday 7:00 PM

Finals: Wednesday    6:00 PM

Note: This is a 3 game guarantee consisting of of a "double" sided 8 team tournament with winners moving thru bracket to right & 1st round losers moving thru bracket to the left.   

neafbfan

Quote from: neafbfan on December 07, 2008, 08:22:16 am
Girls Teams

Bald Knob
Wynne
Searcy
Pine Bluff
Forrest City
Stuttgart
Hughes
??

1. Marion
2. Searcy
3. Bald Knob
4. Wynne
5. Forrest City
6. Stuttgart
7. Pine Bluff
8. Hughes
I still stand by my predictions.

LionCatfan

Quote from: neafbfan on December 14, 2008, 08:06:58 am
Girls Teams

Bald Knob
Wynne
Searcy
Pine Bluff
Forrest City
Stuttgart
Hughes
??

1. Marion
2. Searcy
3. Bald Knob
4. Wynne
5. Forrest City
6. Stuttgart
7. Pine Bluff
8. Hughes

If Bald Knob & Searcy are in the same side of the bracket how would Marion alter your order of finish depending on playing or not unless of course the whole bracket is changed if Marion does not play. This bracket by the way was given to the participating coaches as late as Friday (12/12).

Coach Jacobs, GCT

Quote from: LionCatfan on December 13, 2008, 10:06:29 am

BOTTOM OF BRACKETT

TOP OF BRACKETT

Note: This is a 3 game guarantee consisting of of a "double" sided 8 team tournament with winners moving thru bracket to right & 1st round losers moving thru bracket to the left.   

What are the dates?

neafbfan

Quote from: LionCatfan on December 14, 2008, 08:42:30 am
Quote from: neafbfan on December 14, 2008, 08:06:58 am
Girls Teams

Bald Knob
Wynne
Searcy
Pine Bluff
Forrest City
Stuttgart
Hughes
??

1. Marion
2. Searcy
3. Bald Knob
4. Wynne
5. Forrest City
6. Stuttgart
7. Pine Bluff
8. Hughes

If Bald Knob & Searcy are in the same side of the bracket how would Marion alter your order of finish depending on playing or not unless of course the whole bracket is changed if Marion does not play. This bracket by the way was given to the participating coaches as late as Friday (12/12).

LOL OK I was in a rush, my bad.
1. Marion wins over SG, then Wyn and Searcy for first.
2. Searcy wins over FC and BK but finishes second to Marion
3. Bald Knob win over Pine Bluff, falls to Searcy and wins over Wynne for 3rd.
4. Wynne wins over Hughes, falls to Marion and Bald Knob for 4th. Tough week.
5. Stuttgart loses to Marion in round 1, but bounces back to beat lackluster Hughes and FC for 5th.
6. Forrest City gets bounced by Searcy and wins over Pine Bluff, but falls to Stuttgat for 6th.
7. Pine Bluff loses to Bald Knob in round 1 and FC for the 3x this year in round two, but manages to beat Hughes (maybe).
8. Hughes loses to Wyn, Stuttgart and Pine Bluff (maybe).

Did I get it straight this time?

Call Wynne HS for the dates or check the AAA website. I think it's the same dates as the Jax tourney.

hoopswatcher

I am going out on a limb here and say Hughes WILL NOT finish last. I have seen them play and I think they could finish as high as 4th.

herws

I am not saying Hughes girls will win this tourney, but I don't think they will finish last. Their guards may be the best at this classic and that is no lie. They will give all these teams fits.

John M.

Quote from: neafbfan on November 24, 2008, 10:20:10 pm
NEA is not 1 and done this year.

neafbfan

It will be a dandy tournament for sure.

LionCatfan

Quote from: hoopswatcher on December 14, 2008, 02:28:49 pm
I am going out on a limb here and say Hughes WILL NOT finish last. I have seen them play and I think they could finish as high as 4th.
Hoops, I agree 100% based on what little I know....Hughes jumped at the chance to come to Valley View and kick the season off. That game went into OT with Philamlee (guess at spelling) helping get a W for Valley View. Incidentally, Amy is top 2 or 3 guards in NEA with she being only a sophomore. 

Bwana

Quote from: Coach Jacobs, HWH on December 14, 2008, 10:54:14 am
Quote from: LionCatfan on December 13, 2008, 10:06:29 am

BOTTOM OF BRACKETT

TOP OF BRACKETT

What are the dates?
The dates are Dec. 26-29..

Bwana

December 14, 2008, 07:58:38 pm #21 Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 08:01:07 pm by Bwana
With the boys included this year, should be a dandy tourny..

Adjudicator

Quote from: John M. on December 14, 2008, 05:57:11 pm
If the NEA's not a one-and-done anymore then what is it?

BHS

I'm going to say Searcy girls will win this tournament....but I have not seen Marion play.  Are they that good this year? Who have they beat?

Peety

Quote from: *Coach on December 14, 2008, 11:57:07 pm
I'm going to say Searcy girls will win this tournament....but I have not seen Marion play.  Are they that good this year? Who have they beat?

the searcy girls? they are good, but bk will probably beat them by 15. I dont know if you have seen them play, but they are the best team in this tournmant. i would be suprised if they dont win it again

hoopswatcher

Yes the Marion girls are that good. they dint play real well this weekend in The WM Blue Devil classice but they are good. They have the ESPN Supergurlz #2 rated player in the state, Jessica Winfrey, she has signed with Murry State and 6'4 center Jasmine Trotter who has orally committed to Ole Miss, they shoot the ball well and have a talented soph guard in Karla Ann Norton. They have had some problems with turnovers the last few games but should have that worked out by then. They have wins over Marianna, Earle, Wynne(all blowouts), Monticello, LR christian, Jacksonville and Blytheville with their only loss to the #1 Memphis Metro team the Memphis Central Lady Warriors beat them in the Blue Devil Classic. Central also beat WM in the Classic.

Hughes is my darkhorse-they are ver good and will take care of Wynne easily. Second round vs Marion will be a tough game for them with Marions size.

Peety

Quote from: hoopswatcher on December 15, 2008, 11:21:45 am
Yes the Marion girls are that good. they dint play real well this weekend in The WM Blue Devil classice but they are good. They have the ESPN Supergurlz #2 rated player in the state, Jessica Winfrey, she has signed with Murry State and 6'4 center Jasmine Trotter who has orally committed to Ole Miss, they shoot the ball well and have a talented soph guard in Karla Ann Norton. They have had some problems with turnovers the last few games but should have that worked out by then. They have wins over Marianna, Earle, Wynne(all blowouts), Monticello, LR christian, Jacksonville and Blytheville with their only loss to the #1 Memphis Metro team the Memphis Central Lady Warriors beat them in the Blue Devil Classic. Central also beat WM in the Classic.

Hughes is my darkhorse-they are ver good and will take care of Wynne easily. Second round vs Marion will be a tough game for them with Marions size.

Hughes? i dont know about that. i watched them play the other night and i dont think they will even do good in the losers bracket. too many turnovers and could not shoot the ball well at all

topone

Bald Knob is almost the identical team that played in the tournament last year... the competition is better all the way around, but they should win the tournament again.

I agree that Amy Philamee is one of the top guards in the state as a sophomore, but Hughes has a top guard in Freshman Johnson..  Johnson may be the top guard 9-12 in the NEA.   Hughes also has a top guard in Barrett who is a junior.  Barrett is by far the fastest guard in the NEA and possibly the whole state... Karla Ann (Marion) is a smart guard, but will have her work cut out against Johnson and Barrett.  Hughes played Marion to a four point game last year in this tourney and Trotter only had a couple of baskets.. Hughes also lost to Stuttart by 3 points last year.  I would put Hughes to finish in the top four of the tournament.

Quote from: Peety on December 15, 2008, 12:40:12 pm

Hughes? i dont know about that. i watched them play the other night and i dont think they will even do good in the losers bracket. too many turnovers and could not shoot the ball well at all

hoopswatcher

Quote from: topone on December 15, 2008, 01:11:42 pm
Bald Knob is almost the identical team that played in the tournament last year... the competition is better all the way around, but they should win the tournament again.

I agree that Amy Philamee is one of the top guards in the state as a sophomore, but Hughes has a top guard in Freshman Johnson..  Johnson may be the top guard 9-12 in the NEA.   Hughes also has a top guard in Barrett who is a junior.  Barrett is by far the fastest guard in the NEA and possibly the whole state... Karla Ann (Marion) is a smart guard, but will have her work cut out against Johnson and Barrett.  Hughes played Marion to a four point game last year in this tourney and Trotter only had a couple of baskets.. Hughes also lost to Stuttart by 3 points last year.  I would put Hughes to finish in the top four of the tournament.

Quote from: Peety on December 15, 2008, 12:40:12 pm

Marion played without Jessica Winfrey last year when whe was out with a torn ACL. She will be the best player in this tourney. Trotter has improved and Marion bench is pretty good. This is a good basketball team. I agree with you on Hughes, they will definately finish in top 4. Their guards are good but when I saw them they were somewhat out of control. I know they had 2 missing for a few games due to in school suspension. It should be an interesting tourny.

I like
1. Marion 2. Searcy 3. Bald Knob 4>. Hughes 5. Wynne

topone

Hughes had a 6-4 exchange student from Slavokia last year and in her place is a 5-10 (transfer) post from Marion.  I forgot about Winfrey, but Hughes is also improved from last year, especially with 3 Freshman and 1 eighth grader moving up.

Marion has a tough group of 10th graders that have a lot of basketball experience and Hughes has 6 guards that could all start on any of these 5-6a school teams.  It will be a good matchup.. but they have to play the first round games to get to this game.

The tournament is well run and a great facility..

LionCatfan

Quote from: Peety on December 15, 2008, 09:38:45 am

the searcy girls? they are good, but bk will probably beat them by 15. I dont know if you have seen them play, but they are the best team in this tournament. i would be surprised if they don't win it again

Peety...I always love your BK Lady Bulldog support...they are a very talented team that has put a lot of hard work into being the best. The Searcy girls are a bunch of hard workers that try to outwork you for the "W" as nothing seems to come easy. With the loss of Sr All-State point guard the lineup consists of 3 Jrs & 2 Sophomores or 3 sophomores & 2 Jrs. If this group plays above their "age" they can beat anyone as evident by a big win over Conway but if not they can struggle with anyone. Depending on how the game shakes out you may be right....it could be a 15 point loss for the Searcy girls, but if their personality holds true you will have work for it.         

John M.

Quote from: Adjudicator on December 14, 2008, 08:10:45 pm
Quote from: John M. on December 14, 2008, 05:57:11 pm
If the NEA's not a one-and-done anymore then what is it?

Upper division teams are guaranteed 2 games.

neafbfan

OK, enough jibber-jabber. How about posting everyone's wins and losses thus far as hoops did for Marion?

Marion

Wins
LR Christian,Monticello,Jacksonville to win the Mills Tourney
Blytheville,West Memphis in the WM Classic
Marianna,Earle,Wynne

Losses
Memphis Central

Searcy won their tournament defeating Conway in the final 40-38.
Stuttgart has wins over 5A Helena and Morrilton as well as PB Dollarway.
Bald Knob went 2-2 in RAPA and just won the Lyon College Tourney in Batesville winning five games in six days. They also won two regular season games. Mental toughness right there.
Wynne placed third in the Searcy tourney behind Searcy and Conway and third in the Paragould Shootout behind Tech and CAC.
Forrest City has already defeated Pine Bluff 2x this season I believe.
That leaves you know who - Hughes.
Everybody post.

My top four are still Marion,Searcy,Bald Knob and Wynne.

topone

Hughes (8-1)

loss to Valley View by 6 in overtime

wins over
Turrell by 30+,

Earle by 20 +, Osceola by 3, Turrell by 50 (Turrell Tournament)

Marvell by 66, Gillette by 30, McCrory by 15, Hazen by 30+

Missco

Sounds like a good tourney. The thing that kills a lot of tournaments over time is attendance.

hoopswatcher

Quote from: topone on December 15, 2008, 07:05:37 pm
Hughes (8-1)

wins over
Turrell by 30+,

It is a good thing I am basing my opinion on the game and talent I saw and not opponents and victories. Because there is not a QUALITY opponent in any of those wins. The only real team they have played was VV and they lost.

topone

I agree.. will they have any quality opponents in the 2a?  Even Carlisle and Augusta are not the same teams that finished 1 and 2 in the state last year.  Hughes plays at Augusta tommorrow, but Augusta has already lost to Palestine Wheatley.. 

Dont be surprised when Hughes upsets somebody in Wynne!!

Quote from: hoopswatcher on December 15, 2008, 07:28:15 pm
Quote from: topone on December 15, 2008, 07:05:37 pm
Hughes (8-1)

wins over
Turrell by 30+,

It is a good thing I am basing my opinion on the game and talent I saw and not opponents and victories. Because there is not a QUALITY opponent in any of those wins. The only real team they have played was VV and they lost.

LionCatfan

Searcy Girls 7-3

Wins: Batesville, Wynne, Benton, Dumas, Hamburg, JA Fair, Conway

Losses: Bryant, Cabot, Lake Hamilton

Pine Bluff Tournament - Runner up to Bryant
Home loss to Cabot
Away loss to Lake Hamilton (those twin towers are the real deal)
Searcy Bank Classic - defeated Conway in finals

Starts: 3 Jrs & 2 Sophs or 3 Sophs & 2 Jrs.

Young team with a lot of upside...can play with anyone or struggle with anyone.

herws

Nothing against all these girls teams, but how will the boys play out??

hoopswatcher

Quote from: herws on December 16, 2008, 09:20:04 am
Anyone have a boys bracket?

Peety

Quote from: LionCatfan on December 15, 2008, 03:59:20 pm

the searcy girls? they are good, but bk will probably beat them by 15. I dont know if you have seen them play, but they are the best team in this tournament. i would be surprised if they don't win it again

Peety...I always love your BK Lady Bulldog support...they are a very talented team that has put a lot of hard work into being the best. The Searcy girls are a bunch of hard workers that try to outwork you for the "W" as nothing seems to come easy. With the loss of Sr All-State point guard the lineup consists of 3 Jrs & 2 Sophomores or 3 sophomores & 2 Jrs. If this group plays above their "age" they can beat anyone as evident by a big win over Conway but if not they can struggle with anyone. Depending on how the game shakes out you may be right....it could be a 15 point loss for the Searcy girls, but if their personality holds true you will have work for it.         

oh i am not taking anything away from Searcy, i went and watched them play just about every game this year except the pine bluff tournmant. they didnt play very well against Lake Hamilton. i just think they will have problems guarding Phagen Altom and Brittany Fulks. Brittany is very physical and phagen is just about unstoppable, she ALWAYS gets hers. Plus every one of the starters are Seniors, and Searcy is young. I think Searcy will be able to play with Bk, just cant hang with them for 4 quarters

Sportsnutt

Quote from: Peety on December 16, 2008, 12:41:21 pm

oh i am not taking anything away from Searcy, i went and watched them play just about every game this year except the pine bluff tournmant. they didnt play very well against Lake Hamilton. i just think they will have problems guarding Phagen Altom and Brittany Fulks. Brittany is very physical and phagen is just about unstoppable, she ALWAYS gets hers. Plus every one of the starters are Seniors, and Searcy is young. I think Searcy will be able to play with Bk, just cant hang with them for 4 quarters
[/b][/i]
Looks like Coach Birdsong has some bulletin board material (assuming they both win their first games in the tournament.

neafbfan

December 16, 2008, 02:39:43 pm #42 Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 02:41:32 pm by neafbfan
Quote from: hoopswatcher on December 16, 2008, 10:46:24 am
It's an all girls tournament.

neafbfan

Quote from: Sportsnutt on December 16, 2008, 01:37:50 pm
Quote from: Peety on December 16, 2008, 12:41:21 pm

[/b][/i]
Looks like Coach Birdsong has some bulletin board material (assuming they both win their first games in the tournament.
Unless FC and PB play keep away, these teams should meet in the 2nd round.

topone

They are starting a boys division this year...

Quote from: neafbfan on December 16, 2008, 02:39:43 pm

onegearruss

There is a boys match up on the front page.

Girls should be awesome, Searcy BK and Marn are all great teams.

neafbfan

Quote from: topone on December 16, 2008, 04:21:58 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot. That should take care of the attendance issue Missco addressed earlier. Sixteen teams! WOW!

hoopswatcher

Quote from: neafbfan on December 17, 2008, 10:20:55 am
Quote from: topone on December 16, 2008, 04:21:58 pm

Oh yeah, I forgot. That should take care of the attendance issue Missco addressed earlier. Sixteen teams! WOW!
It also helps that most of the teams are reletively close to Wynne so fans dont have to drive two hrs to watch.

neafbfan

I could sneak in undetected (teeheehee). 8)

BK Fan

Thank God that there is only one highway that connects BK to Wynne! It will not be a close drive but not the longest either!
I think the furtherest is Pine Bluff or (maybe) Hughes, IDK, untill this thread I had never heard of Hughes!!
Go Lady Bulldogs and Bulldogs!!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas