• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2A Coach of the year contenders

Started by jdwalk, October 25, 2014, 04:56:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WPWells

Is this the same Thomas Thrash that was quarterback at Pulaski Academy during the early 2000s?

02cat

October 27, 2014, 08:35:05 am #51 Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 08:38:37 am by 02cat
How about Coach Taylor from Hector. He had a good year last year and should have won it then but that's in the past. He has taken a team that 4 years ago didn't have a team and then only had 1 win the next season. He has since went 25-7 over the last 3 years. Our junior high was the first in school history to be undefeated conference champs. That is turning a team around.

Dragon I

I just don't see how Coach Carpenter can get left out of the conversation back to back years.  The winning streak speaks for its self.  Those kids didn't do it on their own.

dragondad

Quote from: Dragon I on October 27, 2014, 08:50:43 am
I just don't see how Coach Carpenter can get left out of the conversation back to back years.  The winning streak speaks for its self.  Those kids didn't do it on their own.
I don't think he should be"left out", just that at this point I don't think he should be the only dog in the hunt.   If JC wins it all again this year, with a three year state title run, the win streak, and him hitting the 200+ win mark for his JC career, he should definitely be on top of the list.

True Fan

Oh yea, like JC is just automatically going to win it all.  ::)

Maybe, you guys should let the games play out first. ;D

dragondad

Quote from: True Fan on October 27, 2014, 10:41:40 am
Oh yea, like JC is just automatically going to win it all.  ::)

Maybe, you guys should let the games play out first. ;D

Who said JC is going to win it all, pretty sure I said IF.

BigLion10

HorseFeathers

I think some are missing coach of the YEAR in the award title...

Fence Jockey

Lots of folks out there that could be considered, but  one who will never be on the list, and IMO, maybe one deserving not for their win record, but for their lose recond would be the HC of the Marvell team. Got to be one of the best motivators there is to keep a team togather year after year with they go thru on each Friday night. Got to give the man his prop's!

jbtiger73

Heck, you might as well say that Brinkley or mccrory's coach then.maybe even coach Prescott at DA since you're bringing up Thrash

GusBrown

Quote from: crmorrow24 on October 27, 2014, 07:50:32 am
Quote from: godgiven999 on October 25, 2014, 05:43:15 pm
Jackson from Gurdon
47-14 and 41-18...... negative........
Starting the year with a brand new offense after losing a 3 time All-State QB. Could have been much worse

MomaLion

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 27, 2014, 08:02:19 am
Is this the same Thomas Thrash that was quarterback at Pulaski Academy during the early 2000s?
Yes it is.

MomaLion

Quote from: jbtiger73 on October 27, 2014, 11:50:11 am
Heck, you might as well say that Brinkley or mccrory's coach then.maybe even coach Prescott at DA since you're bringing up Thrash
Thrash will be in the running in coming years.  He's young, he will have his time.

birddawg1986

Clarendon coach has made great strides. Gurdon coach also taking over for Pace. JC coach ???  Nope !!! Blind Mellin Jellin could win at JC with the 4 & 5 star recruits.

Coach Mac D

hornetfanx7

Coach B and his staff have worked extremely hard this year.  He gets my vote also!

bfp

I like Hackett's first year head coach Lonnie Hester.  We are 6-2 on the year and he is one coach who really cares about his players!!  Always concerned about their well being and when they make mistakes he is constantly coaching them.

godgiven999

Quote from: GusBrown on October 27, 2014, 07:58:37 pm
Quote from: crmorrow24 on October 27, 2014, 07:50:32 am
Quote from: godgiven999 on October 25, 2014, 05:43:15 pm
Jackson from Gurdon
47-14 and 41-18...... negative........
Starting the year with a brand new offense after losing a 3 time All-State QB. Could have been much worse
Instead he see's a conference Championship his first year as a head coach

SelfBuiltFab

I think Kyle Jackson has a great pull for this!

the_whitester_21

Coach Williams from CC gets it with a win @Earle. No Doubt

Hornet4ever

Heck I'll throw it out there. Lonnie Hester at Hackett, first head coaching job of his career and he's turned the Hornet program around. Better attitudes, better program and a will to win for a team who has been at an idle pace for the last 5 years. Great job Hester. Excited to see what's to come.

purpleswag

I'll say it.....It's a joke to even bring up any coach who's team can't even make the playoffs in a conference that is more down than I have ever seen it. That being said Hacketts coach is a good one and dare I say it  Besancon.

Hornet4ever

Quote from: purpleswag on November 03, 2014, 07:42:57 am
I'll say it.....It's a joke to even bring up any coach who's team can't even make the playoffs in a conference that is more down than I have ever seen it. That being said Hacketts coach is a good one and dare I say it  Besancon.
Besancon? And what are you talking about? Are you making fun of Hacketts coach?

EagleNation

There are a lot of great coaches in 2A football. Congratulations to all of them. Michael Carter and his entire staff (Roberson, Miller, White, Steely) at Conway Christian deserve to be mentioned on this thread for the following reasons:
1) CCS is one of the smallest football playing schools in the AAA.
2) CCS has made the playoffs ALL seven years in the AAA (four of those under Carter)
3) CCS has TWO full-time football coaches, the others are part-time or volunteers.
4) CCS coaches earn a fraction of public school pay.
5) CCS coaches work under a discriminatory rule that instead of punishing the two rogue private schools that were abusing the system punishes ALL private schools in the system.
6) CCS coaches are responsible for multiple victories this season where they took their intelligent, respectful, and disciplined kids and defeated teams with way more numbers, size, and raw athletic ability.
7) Last, but not least, the EagleNation is most proud of the CCS coaching staff because they are great, godly men. There is not merely the absence of profanity or unnacceptable behavior, there is the presence of solid Christian examples that we want our young men to play under. Afterall, ultimatley, the crown we seek is not given out at WMS.

WPWells

That might be one of the best posts I've ever seen on FF +1

cuz

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 03, 2014, 09:16:02 am
That might be one of the best posts I've ever seen on FF +1
Agreed...........

Old Scrapper

purpleswag

Quote from: Hornet4ever on November 03, 2014, 09:01:07 am

No i clearly said Hacketts coach was GOOD. He did well with that team for sure. And Joe Besancon from Hazen.

Old Scrapper

MomaLion

Quote from: Hornet4ever on November 03, 2014, 09:01:07 am
No...I believe he is attempting to bash on Clarendon...like his opinion matters lol.

MomaLion

Quote from: EagleNation on November 03, 2014, 09:14:48 am
There are a lot of great coaches in 2A football. Congratulations to all of them. Michael Carter and his entire staff (Roberson, Miller, White, Steely) at Conway Christian deserve to be mentioned on this thread for the following reasons:
2) CCS has made the playoffs ALL seven years in the AAA (four of those under Carter)
3) CCS has TWO full-time football coaches, the others are part-time or volunteers.
5) CCS coaches work under a discriminatory rule that instead of punishing the two rogue private schools that were abusing the system punishes ALL private schools in the system.
6) CCS coaches are responsible for multiple victories this season where they took their intelligent, respectful, and disciplined kids and defeated teams with way more numbers, size, and raw athletic ability.
7) Last, but not least, the EagleNation is most proud of the CCS coaching staff because they are great, godly men. There is not merely the absence of profanity or unnacceptable behavior, there is the presence of solid Christian examples that we want our young men to play under. Afterall, ultimatley, the crown we seek is not given out at WMS.
Hit the nail on the head with this one 😃

dragondad

I'd vote for him.....if I had a vote.

Great post!!!

HorseFeathers

wait...#5 confuses me. Conway Christian would be playing in 2A reguardless of the rules?? Getting rid of the multiplier actually helped schools like CCS.Anyone else remember union Christian playing in 4A because of that stupid thing?

MarionBlueDevil

I haven't seen A.C. Coleman from Earle mentioned on here once.

Yet, he's taken a team with a freshman quarterback and is within one win on Friday (albeit against a game Cross County team) of sharing a league title and maybe even a top seed.

The Bulldogs have lost three games this year, but they were to Hazen (9-0 at this moment) Highland (pretty good 4A school with a pair of D1 commits) and EPC (led the game all night, lost by two).

Don't get me wrong, the freshman QB has all of the ability in the world, but he's still a freshman.

Not to mention Coleman's adjusting Earle's offense on the fly over the summer and going to a more balanced system.

If Earle beats Cross County to get to 7-3 with all of that going on, he has to finish in the top three.

Lmafo

Have any of yal ever met Joe Besancon. His name should have never come up in the same sentence as coach of the year. That is a straight up joke

cuz

I know every school thinks there Coach should be coach of the year and rightly so. Especially in the small 2a schools where the coach is part of a small community and is like family. Coach David Carpenter paid his dues for years before having the success he enjoys now. You don't accomplish that over night. A lot of coaches have success once in a while. Most move on after a year or two it, then others stay where they are for the love of the community, kids and the love of the game. David Carpenter not only is a good example, a great Coach but is a man who leads by example of what a parent or Grandparent likes their children to be around. Just because a man has won this title doesn't mean he shouldn't be considered for it again. It's certainly a lot more harder to build a program that is continues to be successful than one who has it one year or ever ten years. Junction City didn't become the success they are over night but through the determination of one man that surrounds himself by the right coaches and hard work has one of the most successful programs in Arkansas. Read this article before you think this is just another JC poster tooting his horn JC. It is well written and factual......
http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/junction-city-dragons-coach-reflects-on-200-wins/

Old Scrapper

Logans Mom

Love this and I am from McCrory.  Love #7!  Great post  :)

HorseFeathers

cuz....i agree wih everything but you have a problem. This is coach of the year award...not best coach in arkansas.

cuz

Quote from: HF on November 06, 2014, 11:42:33 am
cuz....i agree wih everything but you have a problem. This is coach of the year award...not best coach in arkansas.
Lol HF, I just thought it was a good read and just might inspire a young coach what could be with a little hard work..

HorseFeathers

I vote for Conway christins coach....don't think anyone had them pegged to win conference.....biggest dissappointment to this point is England

True Fan

England the biggest disappointment?

;D I guess y'all really expected them to dominate the weak ole 2A-5.

HorseFeathers

With all the hype they had going into the season I'd call them a disappointment.....hey biggest surprise is from the 2a-5 too if that helps :)

Loyalfan1

What about Randy Phillips from LC?  Couple years ago they couldn't field a team and now they are playing really good ball. 

True Fan

Quote from: HF on November 06, 2014, 07:58:20 pm
With all the hype they had going into the season I'd call them a disappointment....

They did tie for second place. ;)

🏈fan

November 11, 2014, 12:20:29 am #95 Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 12:23:08 am by 🏈fan
I think Randy Phillips from LC would be a good choice. He went  into a program that was in bad need of a good coach to turn things around. He has worked with those boys over the last few years and has built a team. Those players rely on each other on and off the field. He has helped put the heart back in the game for them through prayer and example. He should definitely be mentioned and considered for his hard work and dedication for turning these boys into not only a team, but a family. God is working through him and his staff to make some positive changes. I have seen the coaches huddle up in prayer together before games. The team doesn't practice or play without prayer before and after and will even invite the opposing team, win or lose to join their prayer circle, along with all their fans. Great things are happening at that school because someone cared for these boys enough to pray for them and he gives God all the glory for it. Looks like it's paid off for them too. Their record shows it. Keep doin what you're doing.

MaxGDfan

Quote from: highschoolball on October 25, 2014, 07:59:51 pm
Dont think carpenter should get it. With 3A numbers and the boys crossing state lines for me I think I could win state and my conference every year too. ;)

First of all they do not have 3A numbers.  They are in the lower half of the 2A and that is counting all of their students, Ark and La students.  Second anyone who can make it to the Finals of the playoff 2 or 3 years in a row should be considered for any Coach of the Year award!!

GusBrown

November 11, 2014, 01:59:05 pm #97 Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:00:48 pm by GusBrown
Quote from: MaxGDfan on November 11, 2014, 01:18:36 pm
Quote from: highschoolball on October 25, 2014, 07:59:51 pm
Dont think carpenter should get it. With 3A numbers and the boys crossing state lines for me I think I could win state and my conference every year too. ;)

First of all they do not have 3A numbers.  They are in the lower half of the 2A and that is counting all of their students, Ark and La students.  Second anyone who can make it to the Finals of the playoff 2 or 3 years in a row should be considered for any Coach of the Year award!!
they dressed over 50 last week, Gurdon is one of the biggest schools in 2A and dressed out 40. And what's been done in the past should be irrelevant in deciding
Coach of the YEAR.

True Fan

November 11, 2014, 02:33:23 pm #98 Last Edit: November 11, 2014, 02:35:21 pm by True Fan
Quote from: GusBrown on November 11, 2014, 01:59:05 pm
And what's been done in the past should be irrelevant in deciding
Coach of the YEAR.

Does that fall in the category of if it doesn't count for you, it shouldn't count against you?

Junction City Dragons           8-0-0     (6-0)
09-05        Smackover        W, 33 - 19   
09-12     Rison                W, 48 - 8   
09-26     Hermitage        W, 68 - 8   
10-03     at Hampton        W, 72 - 0   
10-10     Parkers Chapel    W, 73 - 0   
10-17       at Bearden       W, 39 - 0   
10-24       Strong               W, 60 - 6   
10-31   at Woodlawn       W, 48 - 0   

This year is kinda hard to argue against.

GusBrown

Quote from: True Fan on November 11, 2014, 02:33:23 pm
Quote from: GusBrown on November 11, 2014, 01:59:05 pm
And what's been done in the past should be irrelevant in deciding
Coach of the YEAR.

Does that fall in the category of if it doesn't count for you, it shouldn't count against you?

Junction City Dragons           8-0-0     (6-0)
09-05        Smackover        W, 33 - 19   
09-12     Rison                W, 48 - 8   
09-26     Hermitage        W, 68 - 8   
10-03     at Hampton        W, 72 - 0   
10-10     Parkers Chapel    W, 73 - 0   
10-17       at Bearden       W, 39 - 0   
10-24       Strong               W, 60 - 6   
10-31   at Woodlawn       W, 48 - 0   

This year is kinda hard to argue against.
I didn't say he shouldn't be a candidate or he hasn't done a great job this year. I said whats been done in the past should be irrelevant in deciding this years COTY. With that said, Carpenter has multiple D1 prospects on his team this year. Do you know how rare that is? Is he the only coach that would be undefeated with his roster? If so then yes he should be COTY.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas