• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2A Coach of the year contenders

Started by jdwalk, October 25, 2014, 04:56:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jdwalk

What's everyone's thoughts on Coach of the year so far?  Obviously Junction City's coach has them rolling but wasn't that expected?  I'm going to have to be a homer here and say Vick Barrett at Poyen is a front runner right now. Really, how many people thought Poyen would still be in the picture for a conference title this late in the year?

THA TRUTH

Cross county hector rison and LC all those coaches are either doing something in expected or improving teams and getting them back on the right track in risons case

godgiven999

Wilson

Why is it that if your team has been good for a while and is supposed to be good this year that automatically excludes the coach from being coach of the year in peoples eyes?. . didn't he coach them to be that good? . . or did the players just magically attain this skill level and he's just thete not to screw it up?

Ball Hawk

True Fan

State title proves that he's a great coach.

I think coach of the year should go to an overachiever.

Having said that, the total domination with 2nd and 3rd strings puts Carpenter into the discussion this year.

Barrett from Poyen might get my biased vote. ;D

cuz

Quote from: True Fan on October 25, 2014, 07:31:03 pm
State title proves that he's a great coach.

I think coach of the year should go to an overachiever.

Having said that, the total domination with 2nd and 3rd strings puts Carpenter into the discussion this year.

Barrett from Poyen might get my biased vote. ;D
Hey TF if overachieving is the requirement I believe Carpenter done that as bout much as one can. But I might say this to maintain the level he's reached  consistency is also a great accomplishment. Hector's coach has caught my attention with the level they've come in the last two years..........

RiverEagle079

True Fan

Doubt that. ;D

Cuz, I can't argue with your thinking.

highschoolball

Dont think carpenter should get it. With 3A numbers and the boys crossing state lines for me I think I could win state and my conference every year too. ;)

cuz

Quote from: highschoolball on October 25, 2014, 07:59:51 pm
Dont think carpenter should get it. With 3A numbers and the boys crossing state lines for me I think I could win state and my conference every year too. ;)
Out of the mouth of babes, like we haven't heard that a thousand times newbie.......... ;D

WPWells

I know this is the 2A board but Greg Kendrick at Charleston is 23-0 as a head coach. Why shouldn't he get some looks as coach of the year?

Redandwhite

Thomas thrash deserves the 2a coach of the year
Because he said he was gonna turn tht football team around, and he did tht.

Wilson

Idiocy has no bounds. . .or email addresses so a person can get a new login name every time he gets banned or just cuts a profile name loose cause its gets too hot for the old one. . .JC is the most scrutinized school system in 2A by the Arkansas Activities Association. . if not the entire state because of idiocy by folks just like you. . do ypu honestly think if there was a shread of evidence in your accusations that Parkers Chapel., Bearden and Rison would turn a blind eye to it while having to play JC?. . he-ll the biggest proponent. of what you wete saying was from PC. . and when he dug into it he found out that JC's enrollment is correct. .and all are counted. . if you think the 3-4 players from LA are soooo much better than. Arkansas players and that what gives JC its dominating edge. . you don't just spew idiocy . . your really an idiot and probably shouldn't use the internet without adult supervision

dragondad

Quote from: highschoolball on October 25, 2014, 08:50:58 pm
Quote from: cuz on October 25, 2014, 08:07:03 pm
Quote from: highschoolball on October 25, 2014, 07:59:51 pm
Out of the mouth of babes, like we haven't heard that a thousand times newbie.......... ;D
I'd be coach of the decade if I coached at JC. I can recruit now ladies and gents.

This guy is evidence of why I should be allowed to "slap" someone more than once per hour. Good grief!!

HorseFeathers

I'd give it to the guy at Poyen or maybe even Conway Christian for being the surprise teams of the year...maybe a newcomer of the year award, or surprise of the year award should be given?

Let's face it Junction City has been at the top so long that you could give it to Carpenter every year if they wanted to..

WPWells

They need a second award called "Recruiter of the Year" that always goes to a Junction City assistant

cuz

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on October 25, 2014, 09:34:42 pm
They need a second award called "Recruiter of the Year" that always goes to a Junction City assistant
Wilson already gets that one.........

Wilson

My budget is 2 packages of cold worms so i can catch bait for my trotline

mom18

Quote from: Redandwhite on October 25, 2014, 09:13:26 pm
HOW??

RabidWolf

As much as I hate to say it, have to credit Jackson from Gurdon. Lost a ton last year and look what he's done.

mom18

HOW do u define "turned around"?  Apparently not how anyone else does

nukinhawg

Little homer action here (OK kinda homer since I graduated from Stamps) but I think consideration would have to be given to Coach Phillips at Lafayette County. 
Coming from essentially a forfeited season 2 years ago (after 4 games), 2 wins last year, and now 6 wins shows he has brought those kids a long way. 
I'm sure whoever wins it is definitely going to be deserving, I'm just saying look a little past  W/L at overall improvement and that would put him in the mentionable list.

mtindian42

Hornet4ever

Everyone criticizes me for standing up against the Junction City problem. There isn't just 3-4 players from LA. Every year those kids come to Junction City and play for that team who shouldn't be there, but Junction City gets away with it because it's Junction, every year these kids get persuaded in their heads to go to JC because that's how it's always been. There is 3A numbers but it's not accounted for because of enrollment. Everyone knows it. Everyone's calling idiocy on me, quit making yourself into situations of idiocy by denying it and calling me a newbie? I know high school football and I know what's going on down there just like everyone else who isn't a junction fan and is just to scared to admit it.

dragondad#1

Name one kid on JC team that was persuaded to come to JC...name one that hasn't been in JC for years...these are 2nd and 3rd generation dragons...Its not jc fault our kids come out to play football...you can keep bringing this up all you want and you're still wrong...if only you knew the kids we lost to eldo promise...this crap is old, instead of being on fearless talking out your rear go talk to some of those kids not playing football to help your school get better....

dragondad

Quote from: Hornet4ever on October 26, 2014, 01:33:42 am
Everyone criticizes me for standing up against the Junction City problem. There isn't just 3-4 players from LA. Every year those kids come to Junction City and play for that team who shouldn't be there, but Junction City gets away with it because it's Junction, every year these kids get persuaded in their heads to go to JC because that's how it's always been. There is 3A numbers but it's not accounted for because of enrollment. Everyone knows it. Everyone's calling idiocy on me, quit making yourself into situations of idiocy by denying it and calling me a newbie? I know high school football and I know what's going on down there just like everyone else who isn't a junction fan and is just to scared to admit it.

The are counted and accounted for, they are reported, and it has been proven over and over. This is old, your argument is tired and stupid and FF prevents me from going further than that. We'll gladly continue to be your excuse. When you find someone smart enough to explain the ADE school enrollment spreadsheet to you, let us know and we'll pick this back up. Until then, just shut up and find some other excuse for losing games.

WPWells

Why would Junction risk not reporting 3A-size enrollment? Do you know how much money that would cost them? I'm from CHARLESTON and I know more about this than you. You are a newbie and that was WEAK. Get better

dragondad

As for coach of the year, which is what this thread is about, I think it should be the coach that has turned his team around the most, or the coach that has done the most with the smallest roster. I love coach Carpenter but I agree that there's other coaches out there deserving of having their accomplishments recognized, and I'm sure Carpenter would agree with that.

MomaLion

Please don't start a bash on coach Thrash...I know that wasn't your intention but it will happen. Thrash is do doing a great job but it takes time. Of course he's coach of the year to us but give him a couple more seasons.

MomaLion

Quote from: mom18 on October 25, 2014, 10:09:33 pm
See I told you it would start a bash.
The correct phrase would be turning around. A work in progress. Don't be so negative lady geez.

cuz

Quote from: mtindian42 on October 26, 2014, 01:11:27 am
brian weathers at epc.
A good choice, took a basketball oriented school and turned them into a contender in and out the last few years. Not a bad baseball coach either...........

mom18

Quote from: MomaLion on October 26, 2014, 08:19:40 am
The correct phrase would be turning around. A work in progress. Don't be so negative lady geez.

I'm not being negative LADY but I can have an opinion. I understand he may be YOUR coach of the year, but when someone posts on here people will comment on their post.  So anyone can comment about your coach just as they have other coaches.

mrkingark

Cross County beats Earle @ Earle, Williams has to be mentioned as coach of the year.

bdubyab60

Quote from: cuz on October 26, 2014, 08:52:46 am
brian weathers at epc.
A good choice, took a basketball oriented school and turned them into a contender in and out the last few years. Not a bad baseball coach either...........
A lot of people don't realize what coach Weathers has done for the program. We were close to not having football at all when he took over. He got in the classrooms and got the kids to come out again to keep the program going and taking it to a place where the program had never been.

cuz

Quote from: bdubyab60 on October 26, 2014, 12:20:21 pm
Quote from: cuz on October 26, 2014, 08:52:46 am
brian weathers at epc.
A lot of people don't realize what coach Weathers has done for the program. We were close to not having football at all when he took over. He got in the classrooms and got the kids to come out again to keep the program going and taking it to a place where the program had never been.
That's the first thing you have to do. Don't think his administration really appreciates him............ ;)

Mohawk 54

There are a lot of good Coaches, that could be selected. But I think that Coach White from Mt. Ida should be in the running. There are playing very good ball, with only around 17 kids.

cuz

Quote from: Mohawk 54 on October 26, 2014, 12:42:21 pm
There are a lot of good Coaches, that could be selected. But I think that Coach White from Mt. Ida should be in the running. There are playing very good ball, with only around 17 kids.
Now that's a very true statement there. My Brother coached back in the 80's and I saw first hand how many hours he put end to have a successful season. But his players sure respected him and would follow him anywhere........ Hats off to them all..........

dragondad

Quote from: cuz on October 26, 2014, 12:51:27 pm
Now that's a very true statement there. My Brother coached back in the 80's and I saw first hand how many hours he put end to have a successful season. But his players sure respected him and would follow him anywhere........ Hats off to them all..........

Your brother also had a mean backswing with that "board of education" when I was in Jr. High.....dang near turn you a-flip.

cuz

Quote from: dragondad on October 26, 2014, 12:56:23 pm

Your brother also had a mean backswing with that "board of education" when I was in Jr. High.....dang near turn you a-flip.
Only if you needed it.......... ;D

True Fan

Whole bunch of kids need it these days, but very few are getting it. This is truly where a no child left behind policy would benefit society.

dragondad

Quote from: cuz on October 26, 2014, 01:02:29 pm
Quote from: dragondad on October 26, 2014, 12:56:23 pm

Only if you needed it.......... ;D

Oh I never got one I didn't deserve, and probably needed way more than I got.

mtindian42

Adrian Peterson whipped his kid with a switch...and they said he beat him with a tree branch...lol if that's the case I've been beating with a many tree branches...cause that's all my grandma used was switches...cant whop kids anymore...no discipline...

MomaLion

Quote from: mom18 on October 26, 2014, 10:51:38 am
Quote from: MomaLion on October 26, 2014, 08:19:40 am

I'm not being negative LADY but I can have an opinion. I understand he may be YOUR coach of the year, but when someone posts on here people will comment on their post.  So anyone can comment about your coach just as they have other coaches.
Go take a Midol...It'll be fine. Most of us can tell when its a kid posting and overlook them...I guess you can't.

dragondad

Quote from: mtindian42 on October 26, 2014, 01:17:36 pm
Adrian Peterson whipped his kid with a switch...and they said he beat him with a tree branch...lol if that's the case I've been beating with a many tree branches...cause that's all my grandma used was switches...cant whop kids anymore...no discipline...

Ha! My kids would disagree with the can't part of your statement.

And now only did I get a switch/limb, but I usually had to go cut it myself.....and the size of it never seemed to matter.   those little willow switches hurt worse than any belt or paddle.

MomaLion

We always got hedge switches...but were learned our lesson.

Tigerdad2

Lumpkin had 5,5,4 and 2 wins in his 4 years
   Thrash         1 and 3 not much better

MomaLion

Quote from: Tigerdad2 on October 26, 2014, 05:48:25 pm
   Lumpkin had 5,5,4 and 2 wins in his 4 years
   Thrash         1 and 3 not much better
Look folks, this shouldn't even be on this thread...but since you insist on bringing it up....Coach Thrash came in to a defeated program all the way around.  They kids didn't care and not much participation.  Lumpkin did an ok job but there wasn't any excitement in the program.  It was as defeated a program as i've ever seen it.  Enter Coach Thrash...young fresh coach full of excitement.  He got the kids involved, he got the town involved and things started looking up.  Yes, last year we won 1 game, but we could already see the improvement in the kids' attitudes.  Those kids give their heart and soul every time they step on the field and they are finding that their efforts are paying off.  They didn't hit bottom in the span of a year and they won't have a great season in that span either.  They have met and exceeded our expectations for this season and will continue to improve.
Now let's please move on.

bdubyab60

Quote from: mrkingark on October 26, 2014, 11:36:33 am
Cross County beats Earle @ Earle, Williams has to be mentioned as coach of the year.
Are you sure. Some of the CC faithful were ready to run him off last year.

crmorrow24

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas