• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gurdon vs Mt Ida

Started by Jaybo, October 24, 2014, 09:48:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dart

dosen't matter who has been battle tested. what matters is how they play friday night

cuz

Here's hooties take on it............
No. 7 Mount Ida at No. 3 Gurdon
This is the 7-2A title game. Both teams are similar in styles, running first to set up the pass. Mount Ida juniors Cody Robertson and Austin Hickman have rushed for 708 and 529 yards, respectively. Junior Jesse Lowery has produced 1,140 all-purpose yards and scored 16 TDs. Heady junior QB T.J. Wilson triggers Mount Ida's Split Back Veer, rushing for 463 yards and passing for 994 yards and 11 touchdowns without an interception. Senior OT Dakota Barrett (knee) returned from a six-week layoff last week in a 38-point blowout of Dierks.
Gurdon counters with a speedy defense that shut down Lafayette County last week in a 36-7 blowout, holding the potent Cougars to 191 yards and just one completed pass. Gurdon allows 231 yards and 16 points per game, but the Go-Devils have allowed just 27 points in their six conference games. Senior end  John Clemons (93 tackles, six QB hurries), LB Jackson Kirkpatrick (63 tackles),
senior CB Alunzo Leeper (49 tackles, five interceptions) and junior CB Jackie Harvell (38 tackles, eight INTs) spearhead the defense. Harvell has also rushed for 971 yards (9.7 yard per attempt) and 14 TDs. Leeper has carried 57 times for 308 yards and two TDs. Senior Dewayne Marlow has caught 15 passes for 301 yards and five TDs. Junior QB Parker Whitson has completed 74 of 122 passes for 920 yards and eight TDs with six INTs.

FilmCrew

Quote from: The_Devil_Himself on October 27, 2014, 07:05:21 pm
I asked a pretty simple question. Gurdon has played Prescott, Smackover, and Lafayette County, who have a combined record of 21-3.......those three losses coming at the hands of Junction City, Smackover, and Gurdon. Gurdon is battle tested. Can the same be said for Mt. Ida?

You didn't ask if they were battled tested. I think you forgot your simple question. Come on Dullard! Did you ask the other question just to spew this nonsense? Tisk, tisk..Come on silly rabbit..These games are about match ups..Your not playing JC or Smackover, I think we have already established they would "Skull Drag" you off the field. Who cares what their combined record is...Sounds like you wasted a whole day at Quick Mart looking up stats, should have been eating some of those delicious lil Debbie snacks.

FilmCrew

Pssss..Hey Devil you can look up Dullard if you want...I won't tell anyone. It will be our little secret.

tdmaker

Quote from: swarfan on October 27, 2014, 06:23:18 pm
Couple of things:
1) Gurdon dominated LC, but LC's touchdown didn't come during garbage time.  Gurdon was up 14-0 at the time.  In the Go-Devils defense, it did appear to be blown defensive assignments as the OLB and DE both crashed inside on the play leaving the outside wide open for the QB. 

2) Mt Ida has not seen the speed they will see Friday night.  Gurdon has 3-4 kids that can absolutely fly.  No way Mt Ida holds Gurdon's offense to less than 3-4 TD's.  The secondary for the Go-Devils is 1000x better than the Outlaws secondary that was torched last week by Mt Ida.  I'll predict a Def/ST score for Gurdon as well. 

I'm going with the Go-Devils in this one 34-14.

Im still confused at Gurdon saying they dominated LC.  Hootens had that LC had 190 something total yards.  Another paper reported that Gurdon had 195 total.  That's not really domination. Sure the score was 36-7.  The game did get ugly at the end but by no means did Gurdon dominate LC.  LC had more first downs in the first half and you can see on the hootens highlights it was 3:48 left in the third when they got the pick 6.  LC comes back and scores.  LC just didn't finish. Not trying to take anything away from Gurdon.  They are a great team. Will they dominate MT. Ida? 

mtindian42

M.I. D

The lions must play well and have no turnovers. Contain gurdons speed and not miss tackles. I'm looking forward to Friday. This should be a good one.

GusBrown

Trying to remember the last time Gurdon lost a home conference game. I think was late 2010 vs Mineral Springs

The_Devil_Himself

Quote from: tdmaker on October 28, 2014, 08:45:12 am
Couple of things:
1) Gurdon dominated LC, but LC's touchdown didn't come during garbage time.  Gurdon was up 14-0 at the time.  In the Go-Devils defense, it did appear to be blown defensive assignments as the OLB and DE both crashed inside on the play leaving the outside wide open for the QB. 

2) Mt Ida has not seen the speed they will see Friday night.  Gurdon has 3-4 kids that can absolutely fly.  No way Mt Ida holds Gurdon's offense to less than 3-4 TD's.  The secondary for the Go-Devils is 1000x better than the Outlaws secondary that was torched last week by Mt Ida.  I'll predict a Def/ST score for Gurdon as well. 

Im still confused at Gurdon saying they dominated LC.  Hootens had that LC had 190 something total yards.  Another paper reported that Gurdon had 195 total.  That's not really domination. Sure the score was 36-7.  The game did get ugly at the end but by no means did Gurdon dominate LC.  LC had more first downs in the first half and you can see on the
hootens highlights it was 3:48 left in the third when they got the pick 6.  LC comes back and scores.  LC just didn't finish. Not trying to take anything away from Gurdon.  They are a great team. Will they dominate MT. Ida?

Don't know anything about yardage. But most of the game was played on LC's end of the field as I recall. Gurdon turned it over well into their own territory and LC was stopped cold. Got gone at 28-7, but was told Gurdon let the clock run out with the ball at the LC 1, so a little mercy/respect was shown there.
LC hung around for a long time and played tough. However, the last quarter plus was a Gurdon rout.
Hopefully LC will put together a nice playoff run.

swarfan

Couple of things:

Im still confused at Gurdon saying they dominated LC.  Hootens had that LC had 190 something total yards.  Another paper reported that Gurdon had 195 total.  That's not really domination. Sure the score was 36-7.  The game did get ugly at the end but by no means did Gurdon dominate LC.  LC had more first downs in the first half and you can see on the hootens highlights it was 3:48 left in the third when they got the pick 6.  LC comes back and scores.  LC just didn't finish. Not trying to take anything away from Gurdon.  They are a great team. Will they dominate MT. Ida?

Yardage doesn't always tell the whole story.  50+ LC yards came on one play with busted assignments on defense for Gurdon.  Gurdon also had 2 defensive scores which cuts down on their offensive possessions.  They had a 6-0 lead at the half and outscored LC 30-7 in the 2nd half....I call that domination. 

dart

I call all you gurdon people just braggerts and we will see how you do friday night

Mohawk 54

Quote from: M.I. D on October 28, 2014, 12:49:54 pm
The lions must play well and have no turnovers. Contain gurdons speed and not miss tackles. I'm looking forward to Friday. This should be a good one.
+1

godgiven999

Couple of things:

[/quote.

Gurdon had way more than 195 yards. Harvel had that alone on 3 of his TD runs!

tacklethis...

Quote from: godgiven999 on October 29, 2014, 09:35:47 am
Couple of things:

[/quote.

Gurdon had way more than 195 yards. Harvel had that alone on 3 of his TD runs!

That's an average of 65 yards per touchdown run!

GusBrown

October 29, 2014, 10:44:19 am #114 Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 10:49:47 am by GusBrown
With a bad passing performance, Gurdon had exactly 250 yds of offense. Harvell went 15 for 134 yds and 2 TDs. They also added 94 yards in interception return yardage. And a scoop and score from about 25 yds out.   ;D

tacklethis...

Quote from: GusBrown on October 29, 2014, 10:44:19 am
With a bad passing performance, Gurdon had exactly 250 yds of offense. Harvell went 15 for 134 yds and 2 TDs. They also added 94 yards in interception return yardage. And a scoop and score from about 25 yds out.   ;D

So he didn't really have 195 yards in 3 carries?

The_Devil_Himself

Quote from: FilmCrew on October 27, 2014, 09:16:06 pm
Quote from: The_Devil_Himself on October 27, 2014, 07:05:21 pm
I asked a pretty simple question. Gurdon has played Prescott, Smackover, and Lafayette County, who have a combined record of 21-3.......those three losses coming at the hands of Junction City, Smackover, and Gurdon. Gurdon is battle tested. Can the same be said for Mt. Ida?

You didn't ask if they were battled tested. I think you forgot your simple question. Come on Dullard! Did you ask the other question just to spew this nonsense? Tisk, tisk..Come on silly rabbit..These games are about match ups..Your not playing JC or Smackover, I think we have already established they would "Skull Drag" you off the field. Who cares what their combined record is...Sounds like you wasted a whole day at Quick Mart looking up stats, should have been eating some of those delicious lil Debbie snacks.

Classic Filmcrew. Can't rebut the fact that Mt. Ida has played a weak schedule, so he wants to talk about Red-E Mart and Debbie cakes. Seriously, is that all you got?

GusBrown

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 29, 2014, 12:28:18 pm
Quote from: GusBrown on October 29, 2014, 10:44:19 am

So he didn't really have 195 yards in 3 carries?
No, but he could have ran for over 200 yds if they had chose to use him more.

FilmCrew

October 29, 2014, 02:28:54 pm #118 Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 02:34:57 pm by FilmCrew
Hey Dullard, The question was already answered. Wipe the sawdust out of your eyes and read the post.

Mount Ida plays three non-conference games just like Gur-done does. They played Magazine, Danville and Mountain Pine. Magazine won state in 2010, something Gur-done has yet to do. Danville is ranked 15 in the state right now (3a). Mountain Pine and Mount Ida have had a long standing series going that dates back before...well not as old as you...but a long time.

I noticed that you felt the need to not list your third non-conference game in your post...Glen Rose isn't the shinning light to build up your battle tested rant. Wait, you did play Glen Rose, right? Why wouldn't you list them? Do you call being "battle tested" by getting a mud hole stomped in you by Prescott and Smackover? Did y'all get off the bus? Were you resting your guys for the regular season? I guess you did learn something from that right? Like....How to remove a football from your butt when someone runs the ball up your rear? (Monster_Island)

COACH-Mike

MT Ida 20 Gurdon 13.  No turnovers for Mt Ida in this one.  That will be the difference as Gurdon has lived off of turnovers this year.  Will be a great high school game.  Good luck both teams.

tacklethis...

Quote from: COACH-Mike on October 29, 2014, 02:38:30 pm
MT Ida 20 Gurdon 13.  No turnovers for Mt Ida in this one.  That will be the difference as Gurdon has lived off of turnovers this year.  Will be a great high school game.  Good luck both teams.

I think your right, they have lived off speed on both sides of the ball. Not sure the GoDevils block as well as Mt. Ida.

GusBrown

Mt. Ida will have to score more than 20 points to win. And it's hard to believe that a defense who forces 3.5 turnovers a game will come away with nothing vs Mt. Ida.

footballfrenzy

With the amount of Gurdon critics there are you would think they have been having JC type success over the last 3-4 years. People. Just. Wait.

G-HIGH

Quote from: FilmCrew on October 29, 2014, 02:28:54 pm
Hey Dullard, The question was already answered. Wipe the sawdust out of your eyes and read the post.

Mount Ida plays three non-conference games just like Gur-done does. They played Magazine, Danville and Mountain Pine. Magazine won state in 2010, something Gur-done has yet to do. Danville is ranked 15 in the state right now (3a). Mountain Pine and Mount Ida have had a long standing series going that dates back before...well not as old as you...but a long time.

I noticed that you felt the need to not list your third non-conference game in your post...Glen Rose isn't the shinning light to build up your battle tested rant. Wait, you did play Glen Rose, right? Why wouldn't you list them? Do you call being "battle tested" by getting a mud hole stomped in you by Prescott and Smackover? Did y'all get off the bus? Were you resting your guys for the regular season? I guess you did learn something from that right? Like....How to remove a football from your butt when someone runs the ball up your rear? (Monster_Island)
Turn the page in your thesaurus. Dullard.
Prescott and Smackover would spank y'all just like they did us and y'all would be begging for D'ville to come back!
I don't buy the battle tested argument from GURDON anyway. They got to see what good teams look like yes.
Doesn't matter ... I don't believe either team will walk away with more than a seven or eight point victory. Both teams have played their shared opponents fairly equally. With the exception of maybe Murfreesboro.
Will be close close close. 

G-HIGH

Until last Friday night we had no idea how good the top 3 teams in this conference were. None of them and played anyone but the bottom feeders of the 7-2A. We narrowed that down last week in Gurdon. Now we all get to see who the best is. Who played who won't matter anymore. How many TDs one or the other Defense has scored all year won't matter anymore. Who knows how to use a thesaurus and make sawmill, deer camp, snack cake jokes won't matter anymore. This game can't get here fast enough.

FilmCrew

Quote from: G-HIGH on October 29, 2014, 04:28:48 pm
Until last Friday night we had no idea how good the top 3 teams in this conference were. None of them and played anyone but the bottom feeders of the 7-2A. We narrowed that down last week in Gurdon. Now we all get to see who the best is. Who played who won't matter anymore. How many TDs one or the other Defense has scored all year won't matter anymore. Who knows how to use a thesaurus and make sawmill, deer camp, snack cake jokes won't matter anymore. This game can't get here fast enough.

+1000

cuz

Quote from: FilmCrew on October 29, 2014, 04:56:46 pm

+1000
This is definitely a game that should play out for the conference championship. Maybe y'all don't have good cell phone service or just don't have the time. Would like someone to keep this updated throughout the game. It ill be one of the key games of the year so let's keep everyone updated please........... ;)

tacklethis...

Quote from: cuz on October 29, 2014, 06:46:08 pm

+1000
This is definitely a game that should play out for the conference championship. Maybe y'all don't have good cell phone service or just don't have the time. Would like someone to keep this updated throughout the game. It ill be one of the key games of the year so let's keep everyone updated please........... ;)

Cuz, if we don't get a score before halftime we will know the Devils are losing!

The_Devil_Himself

I noticed that you felt the need to not list your third non-conference game in your post...Glen Rose isn't the shinning light to build up your battle tested rant. Wait, you did play Glen Rose, right? Why wouldn't you list them? Do you call being "battle tested" by getting a mud hole stomped in you by Prescott and Smackover? Did y'all get off the bus? Were you resting your guys for the regular season? I guess you did learn something from that right? Like....How to remove a football from your butt when someone runs the ball up your rear?
(Monster_Island)

Yes, Captain Obvious they were not mentioned because they are not very good. Although I'm pretty sure they would probably whoop Magazine and Mountain Pine.

FilmCrew

Quote from: The_Devil_Himself on October 29, 2014, 09:13:22 pm

I noticed that you felt the need to not list your third non-conference game in your post...Glen Rose isn't the shinning light to build up your battle tested rant. Wait, you did play Glen Rose, right? Why wouldn't you list them? Do you call being "battle tested" by getting a mud hole stomped in you by Prescott and Smackover? Did y'all get off the bus? Were you resting your guys for the regular season? I guess you did learn something from that right? Like....How to remove a football from your butt when someone runs the ball up your rear?
(Monster_Island)

This is what needs to be BOLD!

bakbakbak

All this talk.Morgan said Gurdons Coach makes the difference!!!Hes young and hot!Plus he can coach!A defensive Guru!!! Gurdon 41-14!

The_Devil_Himself

Quote from: bakbakbak on October 30, 2014, 01:25:36 am
All this talk.Morgan said Gurdons Coach makes the difference!!!Hes young and hot!Plus he can coach!A defensive Guru!!! Gurdon 41-14!

He's back!

The_Devil_Himself

Quote from: FilmCrew on October 29, 2014, 10:31:44 pm
Quote from: The_Devil_Himself on October 29, 2014, 09:13:22 pm

(Monster_Island)

This is what needs to be BOLD!

You can put this in bold, too. Danville's defense gave up 68 the week before shutting you guys down. Prescott and Smackover both would have hung 80 on you guys.

cuz

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 29, 2014, 08:21:20 pm
Quote from: cuz on October 29, 2014, 06:46:08 pm

+1000

Cuz, if we don't get a score before halftime we will know the Devils are losing!
Regardless who's winning someone should be able to post........... ;D

godgiven999

Quote from: bakbakbak on October 30, 2014, 01:25:36 am
Welcome bakbakbak     pun intended lol

KOJACK

COACH-Mike

Quote from: GusBrown on October 29, 2014, 03:19:20 pm
Mt. Ida will have to score more than 20 points to win. And it's hard to believe that a defense who forces 3.5 turnovers a game will come away with nothing vs Mt. Ida.
Mt Ida will not throw the ball even if they have to.  That is where your turn overs come from.  Your secondary is the strength of the team and they are really good.  Just don't look for Ida to play into that part of the game.  Sticking with Mt Ida 20-13.  And I think one of Gurdon's scores comes on special teams.  They may accidently let a punt get to #3 and look out.

tacklethis...

Coach-mike,

So you didn't think Gurdon's offense was as powerful as years past?

GusBrown

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 30, 2014, 10:29:20 am
Coach-mike,

Not as strong as a group, but they have the best player to come through Gurdon in recent memory. Absolute stud.

tacklethis...

Quote from: GusBrown on October 30, 2014, 10:33:11 am
Coach-mike,

Not as strong as a group, but they have the best player to come through Gurdon in recent memory. Absolute stud.

Good kid too!

GusBrown

October 30, 2014, 10:35:58 am #140 Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 10:41:55 am by GusBrown
I think Coach Mike is predicting a ball control/ hope Jackie Harvell doesn't run wild close win for Mt. Ida. I think Harvell will run wild. He'll be the fastest player on the field by far. If Mt. Ida completely dominates the trenches, Mt. Ida can go into Gurdon and win. If Harvell sees any lanes, he will hit them and no one will catch him.

GusBrown

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 30, 2014, 10:35:44 am
Quote from: GusBrown on October 30, 2014, 10:33:11 am
Coach-mike,

Good kid too!
right on

tacklethis...

Quote from: GusBrown on October 30, 2014, 10:35:58 am
I think Coach Mike is predicting a ball control/ hope Jackie Harvell doesn't run wild close win for Mt. Ida. I think Harvell will run wild. He'll be the fastest player on the field by far.

You may be correct, but he didn't run wild against Dierks last year with a much better supporting cast. And he was the fastest player on the field then too!

GusBrown

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 30, 2014, 10:41:37 am
I think Coach Mike is predicting a ball control/ hope Jackie Harvell doesn't run wild close win for Mt. Ida. I think Harvell will run wild. He'll be the fastest player on the field by far.

You may be correct, but he didn't run wild against Dierks last year with a much better supporting cast. And he was the fastest player on the field then too!
The difference is that he was part of the supporting cast last year. It was Kirkpatrick's (QB #15) team and game. He didn't play his usual game and you saw the result.

GusBrown

Just looked up Harvell's stats from that Dierks game. He had 9 touches for 95 yds and 2 TDs. So not a bad game but he was definitely not the featured player like he is now.

tacklethis...

Quote from: GusBrown on October 30, 2014, 10:43:46 am

The difference is that he was part of the supporting cast last year. It was Kirkpatrick's (QB #15) team and game. He didn't play his usual game and you saw the result.

Yep, getting hit every play will take Peyton Manning out of his game!

GusBrown

Quote from: tacklethis... on October 30, 2014, 10:49:24 am
Quote from: GusBrown on October 30, 2014, 10:43:46 am

being hit all night can even take a 3 time All State QB out of his game. Correct

Yep, getting hit every play will take Peyton Manning out of his game!

COACH-Mike

Can someone get me the total offense for the game against Mineral for Gurdon?  I know in the first Quarter you had the ball inside out 25 at least 5 times and had 1 score.  I don't think you are sound at all on offense.  Mr. Harvill will be tied up on the offensive side of the ball.  Mt Ida has always had a very sound tackling defense.  This will be the difference.

GusBrown

October 30, 2014, 11:07:27 am #148 Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 11:16:19 am by GusBrown
Quote from: COACH-Mike on October 30, 2014, 10:59:59 am
Can someone get me the total offense for the game against Mineral for Gurdon?  I know in the first Quarter you had the ball inside out 25 at least 5 times and had 1 score.  I don't think you are sound at all on offense.  Mr. Harvill will be tied up on the offensive side of the ball.  Mt Ida has always had a very sound tackling defense.  This will be the difference.
They had 223 yds on 46 plays (MS 8 turnovers/short fields skewed stats). Don't forget Gurdon hasn't lost a home conference game since 2010 (MS).

tacklethis...

Quote from: COACH-Mike on October 30, 2014, 10:59:59 am

It will be the the most physical conference team Gurdon has faced.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas