• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Surplus Gear

Started by Kazimierz, April 12, 2014, 07:12:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Kazimierz

I needed to replace a few items in my hunting bag. Looked at the usual suspects: browning, columbia, drake, mossy oak, etc. $$$$

Then I looked at surplus camo in British Multi-Terrain Pattern (MTP) which is what the Tommies use in Afghanistan.  I also looked at Multicam (I didn't look at CADPAT or MARPAT because I don't like digital camo).  So I pushed forward with some MTP for trousers and a blouse and field jacket/smock.  Honestly, for $65 (I got a Czech military parka as well) I am pretty pleased. I may not shell out $250 for hunting gear ever again.

Just wondered if anybody else used surplus gear for hunting or if they had any other camo recommendations.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Kazimierz on April 12, 2014, 07:12:05 pm
I needed to replace a few items in my hunting bag. Looked at the usual suspects: browning, columbia, drake, mossy oak, etc. $$$$

Then I looked at surplus camo in British Multi-Terrain Pattern (MTP) which is what the Tommies use in Afghanistan.  I also looked at Multicam (I didn't look at CADPAT or MARPAT because I don't like digital camo).  So I pushed forward with some MTP for trousers and a blouse and field jacket/smock.  Honestly, for $65 (I got a Czech military parka as well) I am pretty pleased. I may not shell out $250 for hunting gear ever again.

Just wondered if anybody else used surplus gear for hunting or if they had any other camo recommendations.

Guess I'm Cheap when it comes to hunting stuff. Last time I went hunting(Probably 2 years ago now), I wore an old pair of camo pants, and a green shirt...Killed a little button buck though, so guess it didn't matter that trip haha.

Kazimierz

Quote from: HF on April 12, 2014, 10:11:00 pm

Guess I'm Cheap when it comes to hunting stuff. Last time I went hunting(Probably 2 years ago now), I wore an old pair of camo pants, and a green shirt...Killed a little button buck though, so guess it didn't matter that trip haha.

Well, that's exactly what I'm saying.  Some of this gear is so expensive.  I find some $20 pants at the surplus store... don't see why it will prohibit me from killing defenseless woodland creatures.  That probably has more to do with the person behind the gun/bow than what you wear.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Kazimierz on April 12, 2014, 10:16:38 pm
Quote from: HF on April 12, 2014, 10:11:00 pm

Well, that's exactly what I'm saying.  Some of this gear is so expensive.  I find some $20 pants at the surplus store... don't see why it will prohibit me from killing defenseless woodland creatures.  That probably has more to do with the person behind the gun/bow than what you wear.

Growing up I can remember dad wearing Jeans and a an old surplus Camo Jacket, and never building blinds or using tree stands...never killed any impressive bucks...But like he says, No matter how long you stew them, you can't eat those Antlers.

Valleysports

April 12, 2014, 10:27:13 pm #4 Last Edit: April 12, 2014, 10:46:08 pm by Valleysports
It's not a fashion show, like Sitka Gear wants you to think.  I find what I can to blend into the background. My favorites are gray (winter) colors, because I like standing in front of a tree.  It's about shadows.  I have a deal with StormKloth, which is working out real well.  In the swamp, I like brown - seems like I always end up with Real Tree Patterns. I also have some fake grass I'll use to break up my silhouette. I can get you a nice light jacket for cheap - if you ever need one.

Check out what I got off Facebook for $60 today. 
Good ex - see that tree - the pirogue is perfect camo for me. 
Being still and making sure you are scent free is more important than camo.

Lions84

I still use a pair of Nam era pistol belts and a H Harness I got 30 years ago.  I also have some 1970's era canteens
Real Milsup is the only way to go.

Breitontime

Last few deer I killed, with a bow, I had on sweat pants and a hoodie.

The billion dollar camo industry is on par with Valentine's Day. It's a corporation invented "need."

cuckoobird

Oh no bre. You get what you pay for ;)

On another note, one of the largest deer i ever killed i had on a bright blue and yellow Michelin tire coat with jeans. Its about movement more than anything. I have an expensive ground blind that my son bought me for my bday a few years ago. Deer wont come near that thing unless i leave it out for a week. Wont hardly do that because im afraid someone will still it. Darned if i do and darned if i dont

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas