• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Filing taxes

Started by olemissjacket99, January 26, 2014, 07:42:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

olemissjacket99

When can you start?

Thinking about doing my own this yr.  Any suggestions with all these websites like turbotax, taxact.com, taxslayer, etc.?

or should I just go to HnR Block?

Breitontime

Go to a real accountant.

ricepig

Quote from: Breitontime on January 26, 2014, 07:59:43 am
Go to a real accountant.

Yep, if you have anything besides a W-2, use a CPA.

scrapdawgof06

I use turbotax, the company I work for added a code that was compatible with that software so I could import my W2 and all other info... I entered three items by hand... the rest was put in electronically

Lions84

I got my last paper work the on Feb 1st and got them in and signed on the 8th and I am waiting on my electronic refund to land in the checkbook.

Breitontime

I need to finish sorting through everything, calculate mileage and such and turn mine in. I hate taxes. And, on top of those, I have three motorcycles get titled and tagged, and I bought a new shop truck yesterday that has to have sales tax paid. Yay for taxes.

ricepig

Quote from: Breitontime on February 18, 2014, 12:47:04 pm
I need to finish sorting through everything, calculate mileage and such and turn mine in. I hate taxes. And, on top of those, I have three motorcycles get titled and tagged, and I bought a new shop truck yesterday that has to have sales tax paid. Yay for taxes.

If you're paying taxes, you're making money. Now, have a good CPA to make sure you don't pay a penny more than you should, including all the really gray areas.

Breitontime

She usually gets us a good chunk of change back. We picked up a lot of new equiptment this year, that's going to help a lot.

I pay the woman a fortune, but she's dang good at her job.

blue4hire

A CPA is worth every penny. Mine has saved me thousands over what H&R Block was doing for me. I could not believe the things that are deductable that block never brought out.

AirWarren

We have an accountant as well. I recommend that.

Lions84

My CPA firm I use issues a written guarantee that if you told them the truth and gave them all your paperwork they will lawyer up and defend you against the IRS and pay any penalties you are given.

ricepig

Quote from: Lions84 on February 25, 2014, 11:02:23 am
My CPA firm I use issues a written guarantee that if you told them the truth and gave them all your paperwork they will lawyer up and defend you against the IRS and pay any penalties you are given.

Mine say if you don't give them everything, then they aren't liable, haha....

Breitontime

Mine is the same way. But, as rice said, don't give them everything, not their problem.

Lions84

Quote from: Lions84 on February 18, 2014, 12:37:23 pm
I got my last paper work the on Feb 1st and got them in and signed on the 8th and I am waiting on my electronic refund to land in the checkbook.

I got my refund in the Bank Yesterday!!!!  Now I got to pay for Cheerleading !

ricepig

Quote from: Lions84 on February 27, 2014, 08:14:06 am
Quote from: Lions84 on February 18, 2014, 12:37:23 pm

I got my refund in the Bank Yesterday!!!!  Now I got to pay for Cheerleading !

My question is, why do you let the government hold your money all year?

Uncle Ivan

sevenof400

Anyone have any experience with TurboTax?  Positive or negative? 

Baitshop

Quote from: ricepig on February 18, 2014, 01:39:54 pm
Quote from: Breitontime on February 18, 2014, 12:47:04 pm

If you're paying taxes, you're making money. Now, have a good CPA to make sure you don't pay a penny more than you should, including all the really gray areas.

I love the "gray" areas....there's a lot of money in the gray areas that a good accountant will find...

Breitontime

16.8% on the year. Makes paying the CPA hurt a lot less.

zebradynasty

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 27, 2014, 09:25:23 pm
Anyone have any experience with TurboTax?  Positive or negative? 

If you have a business use a CPA. If you're single or married filing jointly using a regular 1040 with some itemizing Turbo Tax will get it done! I know people with small business can use Turbo Tax but you need to have a petty good background in accounting to make sure get everything.

Lions84

Quote from: olemissjacket99 on January 26, 2014, 07:42:42 am
When can you start?

Thinking about doing my own this yr.  Any suggestions with all these websites like turbotax, taxact.com, taxslayer, etc.?

or should I just go to HnR Block?

I just pay a CPA a 100 bucks and I forget about it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas