• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Nice drives through Arkansas

Started by sevenof400, February 11, 2012, 11:42:10 am

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

February 11, 2012, 11:42:10 am Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:10:18 pm by sevenof400
Note: I wanted to reuse/repurpose this old thread in the hope more scenic and picturesque drives in our state could be listed here.

Sometimes taking the road less traveled is worth the time.  Yesterday, I had the opportunity to travel on Arkansas State Highway 22 from Dardanelle to Ft. Chaffee.  Having never traveled this highway before, there were several interesting views of the rising highlands bordering on the Ouachita Mountains.  The rolling hills provide some visually appealing frameworks and backdrops to unique houses (meaning not cookie cutter homes). 

The road itself is quite drivable - many long straight stretches where passing can be easily and safely accomplished despite not having formal passing lanes - and is in pretty good shape.   

Give it a try sometime when you are headed in the general direction. 

True Believer

Been on that hwy before.  Very nice.

I love to drive on the less traveled roads or Arkansas.

Valleysports

Arkansas is blessed with some of the best roads, for this kind of driving, in this country.  I travel Hwy 22 routinely.  Bought a motorcycle, a few years back, can't wait until Spring.  Had a 6'6" Black Bear stand up in front of me on Hwy 7, last Spring....  Yes I know my Black Bears!   

DEVIL DOG HOG

Quote from: Valleysports on February 12, 2012, 08:38:53 am
Arkansas is blessed with some of the best roads, for this kind of driving, in this country.  I travel Hwy 22 routinely.  Bought a motorcycle, a few years back, can't wait until Spring.  Had a 6'6" Black Bear stand up in front of me on Hwy 7, last Spring....  Yes I know my Black Bears!

You talkin about Ole Miss again?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: sevenof400 on February 11, 2012, 11:42:10 am
Sometimes taking the road less traveled is worth the time.  Yesterday, I had the opportunity to travel on Arkansas State Highway 22 from Dardanelle to Ft. Chaffee.  Having never traveled this highway before, there were several interesting views of the rising highlands bordering on the Ouachita Mountains.  The rolling hills provide some visually appealing frameworks and backdrops to unique houses (meaning not cookie cutter homes). 

The road itself is quite drivable - many long straight stretches where passing can be easily and safely accomplished despite not having formal passing lanes - and is in pretty good shape.   

Give it a try sometime when you are headed in the general direction. 

Highway 10 is a pretty drive from Danville to Booneville. Highway 7 North or South out of Russellville is beautiful during right parts of the year. There's several roads like this in the ozarks, and honestly I avoid the interstate whenever possible to make these drives.

MA

Old Highway 71 from Alma to West Fork is a great drive. Especially in the fall.

Lions84

22 and the road from Dequeen up to Ft Smith is also very pretty.

MA

Quote from: Lions84 on February 22, 2012, 02:22:20 pm
22 and the road from Dequeen up to Ft Smith is also very pretty.

Dequeen to Ft Smith is 71. Then it starts again in Alma on up to West Fork, which is the one I was talking about. Its all the same road.... So if you have a full day you could just drive from dequeen to fayetteville on old 71 and be really happy you did so lol

Lions84

Yep it the most fun drive you will have if you got at Vette , Stang or any good sports car or sedan.   

sevenof400

Recently, I had the chance to drive from Batesville to Mountain Home passing over the Norfork darn and driving on highways 69, 9, 56 and 177.  While March drives don't offer much in the way of color (like a fall drive), there was no shortage of pretty views on this route. 

The Norfork Lake area looks quite inviting and I suspect it heavily influences people to retire to this area. 

Of the various routes I have taken to Mountain Home over the years (all approaching from the south), this may have been the best drive (in terms of the quality of the road - not so many curves and hills).  I do not envy the folks who live in Mountain Home who chose to travel and follow their high school teams because of the constant strain of long drives you face but the trade off seems to be the access to two large lakes in the area. 

On the flip side, I saw far too many places of residence in which I sincerely hope no one was living.

Kazimierz

If you are up for an adventure, you should try the drive from Pocahontas to Greers ferry Lake. After reaching Pocahontus you go through Smithville, Inboden, Cave city and eventually wind up greers ferry. Some small roads lots of turns but pretty drive.

Same goes for Calico rock. If you are wondering how I come about these routes, I am driving down from Missouri on 67 or 65 through the Ozarks. Also pretty drive, and those Missouri roads are nice.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Kazimierz on March 22, 2014, 08:53:38 pm
If you are up for an adventure, you should try the drive from Pocahontas to Greers ferry Lake. After reaching Pocahontus you go through Smithville, Inboden, Cave city and eventually wind up greers ferry. Some small roads lots of turns but pretty drive.

Same goes for Calico rock. If you are wondering how I come about these routes, I am driving down from Missouri on 67 or 65 through the Ozarks. Also pretty drive, and those Missouri roads are nice.

Highway 9 from Clinton to Melbourne.

And referencing the first post on non-cookie cutter homes...on Highway 10(I think, it may be 22)...there's an old chicken house that somebody converted into a house...

Lions84

I don't remember the road number but the drive from LR to Camp Paron near Heifer International just West of LR were fun Sunday after noon drives we would go out there and pick up 71 and drive back to Hot Springs then take I-30 back to UALR.

Lions84

http://www.arkansas.com/places-to-go/scenic-byways/great-river-road/

The Southern Route of the Great River Road from Helena down South is pretty in the Spring and Fall!

HorseFeathers

Lions84

Quote from: HF on March 24, 2014, 09:57:48 am
Lions i think that's highway 9

Yep that is it.  It been 25 years since I made that drive. 

HorseFeathers

Let's add highway 23 from ozark to eureka springs to this list. . .

Lionheart88

Highway 8 from Arkadelphia west through Amity, Glenwood, Caddo Hills, Mena, and on is a nice drive.  My family has some land in Caddo Gap, we can't get out there enough.  Middle of nowhere, but beautiful driving.

Indiana Jones

Mt Ida to Petit Jean
Stunning scenery

Valleysports

Stunning?  Are you from the South West part of the state?

beach bum

March 30, 2014, 06:15:28 pm #20 Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 06:17:26 pm by beach bum
My girlfriend's family lives about 1 mile north of Artist Point off Hwy 71 between Mountainburg and Winslow. I love in winter when I can see cars from that spot on 540 about 2 miles south of the tunnel. The views in every direction are incredible.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Indiana Jones on March 30, 2014, 09:44:30 am
Mt Ida to Petit Jean
Stunning scenery

27 south from Rover to Mt Ida I agree with....28 from Plainview to Ola and 10 on over to Petit Jean, not so much...but we all have our opinions :D

Valleysports

It's nice looking country side, but using the word stunning, means you haven't seen much of the world.  LOL

beach bum

While in Arkansas I tell myself I am going to do the drive from Rover to Mt Ida.... Went north of Hector on 27 for the first time not too long away.

Valleysports

Now you're talking - Elk Country!  ;)

HorseFeathers

Valley if you want elk country then take highway 7 to highway 16 to highway 21 up through boxly valley.

Valleysports

March 31, 2014, 05:02:40 pm #26 Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 10:15:25 pm by Valleysports
Done it many times - Car, motorcycle, plane.  It's like being in the Rocky Mtns..     

Elk in Boxly Valley

We like to float from Steel Creek, down the Buffalo River.

beach bum

Quote from: HF on March 31, 2014, 10:29:35 am
Valley if you want elk country then take highway 7 to highway 16 to highway 21 up through boxly valley.

That's funny you say that because in 2 weeks I am headed that exact route to Whitaker Point. Pretty excited because sadly have never been.

Valleysports

Drive on over to Boxly Valley, early morning, watch the elk on side of road just before getting to Ponca.  Is Whitaker Point off hwy 21?  You hiking Beach Bum?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Valleysports on March 31, 2014, 05:02:40 pm
Done it many times - Car, motorcycle, plane.  It's like being in the Rocky Mtns..     

Elk in Boxly Valley

We like to float from Steel Creek, down the Buffalo River.

Valley....Steel Creek doesn't count in this conversation it's not directly accessible from any of those roads mentioned :D

Valleysports

Yeah but - if you put a canoe in the river, behind those elk, in the first pic - you'll eventually float along that rock wall, in the 2nd pic.

HorseFeathers

I'll give you that :D...Guessing those are in the fields by the pull off in Boxley Valley?

Valleysports

Yes - they should be coming out in the morning's and evening's, right now.  Would be a good time to hike the Boxly Valley River Trail.

beach bum

Oh yes Im hiking. I told myself Im enjoying the outdoors before the brutal River Valley summer starts. Come late May I refuse to jog after 7 in the morning. Guess I am just being weak lol.

Valleysports

Did you say you were staying over around Dardanelle?

beach bum

If you ever see a shaggy haired mid 20 year olded guy jogging in Dardanelle you can  put a face to me. I usually run in an orange shirt or navy blue shirt. I wish there were more running here but I tell my better half we live in the rural south. It just is what it is. Thats why I respect any runners around here no matter their pace. At least theyre challenging themself. Thats what is great about running.

Valleysports

Well I'll have to remember that - I'm going to host a few running get-to-gether's, this summer.  Little running, little biking, little barbecue.  :D   I'll be over that way planting corn, spraying, working on food plots - be looking. 

beach bum

Sounds good to me. Nothing corn in the summer time.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas