• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Coaching Legend to retire

Started by CabotAlum, June 20, 2018, 10:15:19 am

Previous topic - Next topic

CabotAlum

beaverfan007

x14113

June 20, 2018, 01:45:56 pm #2 Last Edit: June 20, 2018, 04:07:08 pm by x14113
Where Cabot goes from here will depend on how much the admin values continuity.

If they want to keep the Dead-T going, I can think of a coach 71 miles away that they will want to go after.

Otherwise...they'll need someone with a good track record on turnarounds, because it will become a total restructure at that point.

Then again, word on the street is that a form of shotgun spread that's friendly to old-school running schemes is becoming trendy. Perhaps the Panthers can take advantage of that?

Lumberjackfan1978

He will be missed for sure.He is a great coach

thebigshot

Whoever they hire hopefully they will run a spread offense.

Air Raider

The dead T died a long time ago. Heck Malham stuck with it and didn't even use the full suite of plays.

Glad to see him finally do the right thing for the school and get out of the way. He has held this program back long enough.

Hogman2018

My pick for this job is Scott Reed from Eldorado!! I think he would leave for this job! Who does everyone else pick to get this job?

Made

Air Raider

Scott Reed is a fantastic coach he would do well here. Maybe a good opportunity for Kevin Kelly to see if he is really 'that good' taking on 7A at a public school?  And just for the record, I think he is 'that good'.
Cabot has a huge pool of kids to draw from. It will take a few years to get a cycle going,  but Cabot is a sleeping giant for a coach that isn't stuck in the 50's. 5-10 years from now all the folks in the central office that have so faithfully stuck by a decades outdated system, will be asking why this change didn't happen sooner.

cabotpantherman

Been told by a reliable source Bo Hembree is interested.

francocat

STBruin

Agree with the thought about Kelley and his chance to shut up all of his critics! Plus, the simple irony of it being Cabot! Malham was a great coach, but the game passed him by. Think a modern offense at Cabot, with the facilities and numbers they have, they have the potential to be a FORCE in the 7A!!!

AirWarren

Quote from: cabotpantherman on June 21, 2018, 05:58:39 pm
Been told by a reliable source Bo Hembree is interested.

17 years running....

PigskinPete

Bo Hembree is used to having the best athletes week after week.  That doesn't happen at Cabot.

Congratulations to Mike Malham on a Hall of Fame career.

cabotpantherman

Pigskin I agree with you. Was told couple years ago once the Cabot job comes open he would be interested. My opinion he should stay in Warren.

rammer

I would love to see Scott Reed as the next head coach for Cabot.

Air Raider

Quote from: PigskinPete on June 22, 2018, 02:31:37 pm
Bo Hembree is used to having the best athletes week after week.  That doesn't happen at Cabot.

Congratulations to Mike Malham on a Hall of Fame career.

A lack of athletes isn't a problem in Cabot. With the number of students we have, the athletes are here. The problem the last 10 years, was the lack of a coach that knew how to use them in modern day football. That coupled with just the lack of desire to change and stubbornness to prove he didn't have to, along with an administration and a community that year after year has been satisfied with a winning season and just making it to the playoffs.

Having great athletes can certainly be an advantage  but NLR is a great example of a school that year after year has great athletes, and often times never reaches potential.  What Cabot has is the potential for huge numbers on the sidelines giving depth and fresh legs for 4 quarters along with kids that are extremely smart, athletic enough, and very coachable. You put a coach like Kevin Kelly or Scott Reed into that that situation and a sleeping giant will awaken.

AirWarren

June 30, 2018, 07:26:20 pm #17 Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 07:29:24 pm by AirWarren
Quote from: Air Raider on June 30, 2018, 04:43:33 pm
A lack of athletes isn't a problem in Cabot. With the number of students we have, the athletes are here. The problem the last 10 years, was the lack of a coach that knew how to use them in modern day football. That coupled with just the lack of desire to change and stubbornness to prove he didn't have to, along with an administration and a community that year after year has been satisfied with a winning season and just making it to the playoffs.

Having great athletes can certainly be an advantage  but NLR is a great example of a school that year after year has great athletes, and often times never reaches potential.  What Cabot has is the potential for huge numbers on the sidelines giving depth and fresh legs for 4 quarters along with kids that are extremely smart, athletic enough, and very coachable. You put a coach like Kevin Kelly or Scott Reed into that that situation and a sleeping giant will awaken.

If the size and speed was there with "those numbers on the sideline" it would show up on the field no matter who is coaching.

I'll believe it at Cabot when I see it.

Rogers High has the numbers. So does Rogers heritage. Catholic high? Where is their domination?

Razorback Red

Quote from: Air Raider on June 30, 2018, 04:43:33 pm

Great take, Air Raider.  Coach MM had a great run and a HOF career, but the Cabot admin should have forced his retirement from at least HC several years back.  One dimensional teams just cannot compete with the other elite 7A programs.  I am convinced the athletes are walking the halls and prob already on the team.  If they get the right HC, watch out.  Cabot should compete for at least the semi's every year. 

gameoflife

Again the spread supporters come out to criticize a successful style of offense.  Looking at his bio, seems he had a very good record with not only two titles but also several runner ups and semi final appearances and some of those in the recent past.  Tells me the Dead T wasn't dead at all.

PigskinPete

Quote from: gameoflife on July 03, 2018, 05:02:11 pm
Again the spread supporters come out to criticize a successful style of offense.  Looking at his bio, seems he had a very good record with not only two titles but also several runner ups and semi final appearances and some of those in the recent past.  Tells me the Dead T wasn't dead at all.
Malham's offenses regularly moved the ball and scored lots of points. When his teams had problems (not often), it was usually due to lack of speed on defense.

Razorback Red

Quote from: gameoflife on July 03, 2018, 05:02:11 pm

I haven't seen anyone criticizing his bio, no question a HOF career.  Just not relevant year in and year out over the past 10 years.  Yes, he can win games with that style in 2018, but not against elite teams.  Cabot gets 4-5 wins a year against bad conf teams and their OOC schedule.  Still have to beat the top-tier teams in the playoffs and that hasn't happened much of late. 

AirWarren

Quote from: PigskinPete on July 03, 2018, 05:33:47 pm
Malham's offenses regularly moved the ball and scored lots of points. When his teams had problems (not often), it was usually due to lack of speed on defense.

And speed is going to magically show up from the halls and under a new coach?

Call me blind, but I'll have to believe it to see it.

Lumberjackfan1978

Quote from: Razorback Red on July 03, 2018, 04:33:54 pm
Great take, Air Raider.  Coach MM had a great run and a HOF career, but the Cabot admin should have forced his retirement from at least HC several years back.  One dimensional teams just cannot compete with the other elite 7A programs.  I am convinced the athletes are walking the halls and prob already on the team.  If they get the right HC, watch out.  Cabot should compete for at least the semi's every year.
Cabot doesn't have the speed to run the spread Malham ran what was best for Cabot's athletes sorry

PA Dad

Cabot has the athletes and the community support to contend every year.  If they get the right coach, they will be tough to beat.

gameoflife

Not relevant?  He was the state runner-up in 2013. Was in the quarters in 2016 and 2017?

gameoflife

Quote from: PA Dad on July 03, 2018, 10:31:06 pm
Cabot has the athletes and the community support to contend every year.  If they get the right coach, they will be tough to beat.

Maybe they can pay KK enough to get him to try the 7A public school waters?

Razorback Red

Quote from: gameoflife on July 04, 2018, 05:10:57 pm
Not relevant?  He was the state runner-up in 2013. Was in the quarters in 2016 and 2017?

Getting to the quarters is not much of a feat the way our 7A/6A brackets are set up.  The teams with byes are already in the quarters and the other teams have to beat a team that shoudn't really be in the playoffs. 

Now if we could just combine the top 32 into 6A, the playoffs would be much more competitive. 

gameoflife

Quote from: Razorback Red on July 05, 2018, 01:50:07 pm
Getting to the quarters is not much of a feat the way our 7A/6A brackets are set up.  The teams with byes are already in the quarters and the other teams have to beat a team that shoudn't really be in the playoffs. 

Now if we could just combine the top 32 into 6A, the playoffs would be much more competitive. 

That much I will agree with you on whole-heartedly.  The 7A and 6A playoffs certainly contain some teams that couldn't make it in the old 32 team formats.  Of course the state has so few truly large schools it's hard to claim parady between schools with 2,000 and those with half that.  Maybe the AAA should handicap  schools.

Wildcat_Booster

Quote from: thebigshot on June 21, 2018, 01:15:27 pm
Whoever they hire hopefully they will run a spread offense.

I wonder if El Dorado Scheduling Cabot the last couple years plays into Reed leaving? getting acquainted with the Administrators there?

cabotpantherman

Not a chance. I think Reed's age will play a factor in him not getting the job. I personally believe they will go younger.

thebigshot

Quote from: cabotpantherman on July 06, 2018, 09:49:30 am
Not a chance. I think Reed's age will play a factor in him not getting the job. I personally believe they will go younger.

Reed has more championships than Malham. Don't get me wrong, if Cabot has the change to get Reed they need to go after him. Age is only a number.

purpleswag

Quote from: Wildcat_Booster on July 05, 2018, 10:16:38 pm
I wonder if El Dorado Scheduling Cabot the last couple years plays into Reed leaving? getting acquainted with the Administrators there?

Y'all do realize that there are a ton of spread teams that get destroyed every week don't you?

Rob Van Winkle

Will Cabot allow the new coach to bring his own staff with him? If so that will open the door for the top tier coaches.

purpleswag

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on July 08, 2018, 11:51:07 am
Will Cabot allow the new coach to bring his own staff with him? If so that will open the door for the top tier coaches.

So Malham retires and everyone loses their job?

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: purpleswag on July 08, 2018, 12:38:59 pm
So Malham retires and everyone loses their job?
Most established HC's will not take another HC position unless they have the ability to bring on who they want. Especially year one most will bring in their own OC and DC and then bring others on the following years. Once again this is for an established HC who wins. This helps them establish their culture much quicker, and I think this will be very important when replacing an icon like Coach Malham.

If they go with a first time HC then the district will more than likely not have to give as many concessions.

STBruin

Quote from: gameoflife on July 04, 2018, 05:12:11 pm
Maybe they can pay KK enough to get him to try the 7A public school waters?

Think Cabot and KK would be a perfect fit...and he would give the 7A fits.....

Lumberjackfan1978

July 08, 2018, 05:17:24 pm #37 Last Edit: July 08, 2018, 05:19:13 pm by Lumberjackfan1978
Quote from: purpleswag on July 08, 2018, 08:32:56 am
Y'all do realize that there are a ton of spread teams that get destroyed every week don't you?
Right you have to have some speed and athletes to run the spread or it doesn't work

AirWarren

Quote from: purpleswag on July 08, 2018, 08:32:56 am

But but but not the speed and talent is in the halls!

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: Lumberjackfan1978 on July 08, 2018, 05:17:24 pm
Right you have to have some speed and athletes to run the spread or it doesn't work
Not just the spread.

Lumberjackfan1978

purpleswag

Quote from: Oldman on July 09, 2018, 06:52:26 am
Not just the spread.

No other offense is regarded as the "reason we aren't winning."

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: purpleswag on July 10, 2018, 01:22:10 pm
No other offense is regarded as the “reason we aren’t winning.”
Quote from: purpleswag on July 10, 2018, 01:22:10 pm
No other offense is regarded as the “reason we aren’t winning.”
true

gameoflife

Quote from: cabotpantherman on July 06, 2018, 09:49:30 am

Just curious, how many young coaches are getting beaten on Friday night?

cabotpantherman

I think Scott Reed is an excellent coach. I would love to see him in Cabot. I do think the new athletic director (1 year on the job) will go after someone younger than 50.

gameoflife

Quote from: cabotpantherman on July 12, 2018, 03:11:42 pm
I think Scott Reed is an excellent coach. I would love to see him in Cabot. I do think the new athletic director (1 year on the job) will go after someone younger than 50.

Why?  At 50 Reed would have perhaps 15-16 years in the game before he considered retirement.  With Malham as an exception, I wonder how many coaches last even half that long at a school.

Pat Swilling

The age factor is not a factor. Look at the most successful coaches in the state. All 50 or older.  Reed,  bolding,  dawson,  rick jones. Buck james. Carpenter. B lunny SR. Yes I know last 2 are retired. Hembree. King. Toddy. Elmore. Dave king. Now barry norton. Etc...

gameoflife

Quote from: Pat Swilling on July 12, 2018, 04:49:17 pm
The age factor is not a factor. Look at the most successful coaches in the state. All 50 or older.  Reed,  bolding,  dawson,  rick jones. Buck james. Carpenter. B lunny SR. Yes I know last 2 are retired. Hembree. King. Toddy. Elmore. Dave king. Now barry norton. Etc...

I think they call that "experience". 

Cabotfan

Quote from: gameoflife on July 12, 2018, 03:27:22 pm
Why?  At 50 Reed would have perhaps 15-16 years in the game before he considered retirement.  With Malham as an exception, I wonder how many coaches last even half that long at a school.

Coach Reed is 57. I don't think the AD will want to hire another football coach in 5-6 years?

gameoflife

Quote from: Cabotfan on July 18, 2018, 01:20:10 pm
Coach Reed is 57. I don't think the AD will want to hire another football coach in 5-6 years?

What makes you think he will retire before he hits 65-66 or more? I bet the average stay of coaches in Arkansas isn't close to 10 years.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas