• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas State Team Changes(merged)

Started by fastdrop, November 26, 2011, 08:44:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Peety

A-State offered Freeze an extension with a LOT more money. He still decided to go to Ole Miss.

sevenof400

Quote from: Peety on December 05, 2011, 08:19:32 am
A-State offered Freeze an extension with a LOT more money. He still decided to go to Ole Miss.

I saw a story that listed Freeze's salary at something around $200K.  Somehow, I'm willing to bet that the extension (even with a LOT more money) still wasn't in the neighborhood of what Ole Miss will be paying....

R. A.™

so since Freeze got a 2000% pay increase and a 1000% budget increase and left to become the Rebels HC, who is going to be on the long list to take the stAte job?

Smithian

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 05, 2011, 08:30:04 am

I saw a story that listed Freeze's salary at something around $200K.  Somehow, I'm willing to bet that the extension (even with a LOT more money) still wasn't in the neighborhood of what Ole Miss will be paying....

I refuse to believe it was that low. I know atleast Melvin Watkins (Mike Anderson's lead assistant) makes more than that.

Regardless, stAte just needs to take this in stride and move on. Don't dwell.

Smithian

By the way, there is a former SEC Coach of the Year currently unemployed with a history of making it to New Year Day Bowls, having players contend for the Heisman, and he even has Arkansas ties.

Good fit?

sevenof400

December 05, 2011, 05:30:36 pm #55 Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 05:32:12 pm by sevenof400
Quote from: Smithian on December 05, 2011, 03:32:50 pm

I refuse to believe it was that low. I know atleast Melvin Watkins (Mike Anderson's lead assistant) makes more than that.

Smithian,

I found this which has an even lower figure but I suspect ASU may have supplimented Freeze's salary from another source.

Peety

Quote from: sevenof400 on December 05, 2011, 05:30:36 pm
Quote from: Smithian on December 05, 2011, 03:32:50 pm

Smithian,

I found this which has an even lower figure but I suspect ASU may have supplimented Freeze's salary from another source.

He did...according to some people close to the program, his total salary was around 315,000

sevenof400

According to this story Freeze is now making in the neighborhood of $1.5 million per year. 

A nice raise for Freeze.

dc24

Smithian, if you're talking about Nutt, no, no, no.  I'll go cheer for UCA if that happens.  We already got rid of our Nutt problem, we better not hire him.

Coach Gunn is interim coach, I'd love to see him get a shot.  He's been an assistant forever and our running backs are always good.  Hopefully he'll have a good bowl game showing and maybe get a shot if he wants it.  I'm not sure he wants to be a head coach.

Other than that, there are a handful I'd like to see if they are interested.

Smithian

B. Kirk

True Believer

I work with one of the asst's wife.   She got the text this morning that Freeze was  officially leaving and who he was taking with him.  Coaching staff becomes like family and it was hard to see her tear up this morning as she read who would go and who had to look for another job.

Freeze is gone.    Good luck to Coach Gunn in the bowl.  I hope ASU fans still go to the bowl and support the team.  They are brothers and this has hurt them.  Some understand.  Some don't.  Freeze did a lot of good for the town and the football program.  Hopefully the next coach will take up where he left off. 

Romeo

birdman16

Quote from: Romeo on December 05, 2011, 09:05:13 pm
Clint Conque?
I've heard this too...please take him.  We don't want him.

fastdrop

Man.....  >:(

I bet the Hogs threw in spiff money so Ole miss would get him.

Hoghead

Quote from: R. A.™ on December 05, 2011, 11:07:13 am
so since Freeze got a 2000% pay increase and a 1000% budget increase and left to become the Rebels HC, who is going to be on the long list to take the stAte job?

Red Parker
Harv Welch
Eddie Jackson
Ronnie Peacock
Barry Lunney Jr.
Tim Perry
Buck James
That's my short list !

Peety

I think Tim Horton would be a great fit for A-State.

dc24

Peety

Quote from: dc24 on December 06, 2011, 11:16:59 pm
No Tim Horton.  Please no.

Please explain why? I've heard multiple people say no to him. Is it just because of his current job at Arkansas?

Chosen 1

Quote from: Peety on December 06, 2011, 11:52:58 pm

Please explain why? I've heard multiple people say no to him. Is it just because of his current job at Arkansas?
No head coaching experience, never been a coordinator, we already have a good recruiter for the Arkansas area in Gunn.

My favorite name so far is Leavitt

Peety

Quote from: Chosen 1 on December 07, 2011, 02:06:23 am

No head coaching experience, never been a coordinator, we already have a good recruiter for the Arkansas area in Gunn.

Why type of head coaching experience did freeze have? NAIA? Lol. And the thing is, if Leavitt or anyone else comes, most likely Gunn won't be here.

Horton is a great guy. Excellent football mind, a good Christian man, and most of all a leader. He is definitely a disiplinarian and would be great for ASU

R. A.™

Quote from: Smithian on December 05, 2011, 03:34:14 pm
By the way, there is a former SEC Coach of the Year currently unemployed with a history of making it to New Year Day Bowls, having players contend for the Heisman, and he even has Arkansas ties.

Good fit?

I think his family has already been employed and dismissed from stAte

wildcat_x-mgr

Quote from: Peety on December 07, 2011, 08:46:15 am

Why type of head coaching experience did freeze have? NAIA? Lol. And the thing is, if Leavitt or anyone else comes, most likely Gunn won't be here.

Horton is a great guy. Excellent football mind, a good Christian man, and most of all a leader. He is definitely a disiplinarian and would be great for ASU

The way I heard it put once, and I tend to agree, is when someone has been an assistant coach for that long without really advancing, there's probably a good reason.

dc24

Quote from: Peety on December 07, 2011, 08:46:15 am

I'm not concerned about the coaching experience.  He might be a great coach or an average coach, I'm not sure.  He doesn't have an overwhelmingly eye-popping resume though, and even though Freeze didn't, what he did at Lambuth was pretty remarkable and he was a head coach, and Freeze was also OC at ASU for a year too, and Horton has never been a coordinator.

I'm also told, and someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, that's the Arkansas area recruiter for the UA, which has to be one of the easiest jobs in the nation.  I'm not sold he's a good recruiter.

I'm tired of the good Christian man argument.  I don't really care about that.  Steve Roberts was a good Christian man and Hugh Freeze was a good Christian man.  One won a whole lot more than the other though and I'm not sold on Horton being a leader or anything else you said.

Busman

Rick Minter.  Former head coach at Cincinnatti, DC at Notre Dame, South Carolina and co-DC at Kentucky.  From Texarkana, graduate of Henderson, went to school with Dean Lee.

sevenof400

Whoever they finally offer the position to, ASU had better have more cash ready.  You are not going to attract a quality college coach (even an up and comer) on $200K given the salaries of college coaches today. 

Mulerider

Why not just hire Gunn and make it a done deal?   He is the key to all of the players they have been able to get and he has been a stable figure at ASU.

AirWarren

Asu had an awesome year but let's face it folks. Freeze was the best thing that happened to that school and his record this year was enough for him to be snatched up by ole miss.

Huge pay raise, incentives, and an opportunity to win ball games in the best conference in America. No brainer here folks.

Asu will always be a stepping stone school for coaches.

Dc, what about Alonzo Hampton?  He's an assistant at WKU. I'm sure he would love a shot at this job. He is a Warren native and Arkansas boy. Be a good job to come home to.

dc24

I wouldn't want Zo as a head coach, not yet, but I'd let him coach DB's at ANY level, NFL included.  I'm sure he's on the track to be a DC somewhere too.

AirWarren

Zo knows defense. I'll agree with that.

Sure do miss him on the Warren staff.

R. A.™

Quote from: Busman on December 07, 2011, 01:12:56 pm
Rick Minter.  Former head coach at Cincinnatti, DC at Notre Dame, South Carolina and co-DC at Kentucky.  From Texarkana, graduate of Henderson, went to school with Dean Lee.

Interesting name.

R. A.™

Arkansas State: Names we've heard are being considered include Mike Canales, Kliff Kingsbury and Eddie Gran. We hear interviews are ongoing and other candidates are involved.

Arkansas State: We hear that Texas Tech offensive coordinator Neal Brown has interviewed as well...add another young offensive minded coach to the list of candidates.

Chosen 1

True Believer

^^  Heard this also.  Also lots of planes in and out of  the Boro.

All kinds of rumors going on right now. 

Romeo

Quote from: AW on December 09, 2011, 01:53:05 pm
Asu had an awesome year but let's face it folks. Freeze was the best thing that happened to that school and his record this year was enough for him to be snatched up by ole miss.

Huge pay raise, incentives, and an opportunity to win ball games in the best conference in America. No brainer here folks.

Asu will always be a stepping stone school for coaches.

Dc, what about Alonzo Hampton?  He's an assistant at WKU. I'm sure he would love a shot at this job. He is a Warren native and Arkansas boy. Be a good job to come home to.

He's not ready to be a head coach but I agree with DC24, he can coach defensive backs anywhere.

Peety

I'm hearing Gus Malzahn a lot now

sevenof400

Either Malzahn will be taking a significant pay cut or ASU will have to seriously increase the budget for a HC.  I don't see a logical reason for Malzahn to go to Jonesboro though. 

R. A.™

Quote from: Peety on December 13, 2011, 11:49:55 am
I'm hearing Gus Malzahn a lot now

I don't know if there is enough money to pay gus, his assistants and for the increase in the budget and the addition and upgrading of the facilities to meet his needs..

Romeo

According to coachingsearch.com, Arkansas State has put together a six year deal worth $600,000.

sevenof400

If that is accurate, Gus would be likely taking a pay cut to come to ASU.  That doesn't make a lot of sense. 

Peety

Quote from: Romeo on December 13, 2011, 04:29:36 pm
According to coachingsearch.com, Arkansas State has put together a six year deal worth $600,000.

Ive heard from a booster, that incentives could reach near a million. And I've also heard this is almost a done deal. That would be huge for ASU

sevenof400

Wait a minute, Malzahn already makes $1.3 million per year at Auburn.  The logic of this just doesn't compute - why would Malzahn leave an SEC school for a cut in pay of over 50%? 

See this story for more on Malzahn's Auburn salary.

Romeo

I still don't believe it but if he takes the job you have to wonder if he was forced out of Auburn or recently had a situation similar to when he left Arkansas for Tulsa. That's the only reason I can see for taking this kind of pay cut and taking a lower level sun belt job. You also have to wonder why he would turn down 2 million a year at Vanderbilt but accept the ASU job.

dc24

I think it has to do with a couple of things.  First of all, maybe he doesn't think Auburn is going to be too good the next couple of years, and wants to get out as soon as possible.  Second of all, it appears that his stock for being a head coach has dropped substantially.  He has lost out on all the major jobs it appears. 

Lots of talent coming back for ASU and it's a head coaching job, which is a step up, despite the decline in pay.

zebradynasty

IF Gus takes the job my guess is it would be for family reasons not career. It is almost a guarantee that Gus gets a shot at a major d-1 program within the next 3 years. ASU (no offense) does nothing for his resume. I have no proof just speculation  :-\

Big Fan

Quote from: dc24 on December 13, 2011, 06:04:48 pm
I think it has to do with a couple of things.  First of all, maybe he doesn't think Auburn is going to be too good the next couple of years, and wants to get out as soon as possible.  Second of all, it appears that his stock for being a head coach has dropped substantially.  He has lost out on all the major jobs it appears. 

Lots of talent coming back for ASU and it's a head coaching job, which is a step up, despite the decline in pay.
Hmmmm....think this has anything to do with Kristi?

Smithian

Quote from: Romeo on December 13, 2011, 05:38:05 pm
I still don't believe it but if he takes the job you have to wonder if he was forced out of Auburn or recently had a situation similar to when he left Arkansas for Tulsa. That's the only reason I can see for taking this kind of pay cut and taking a lower level sun belt job. You also have to wonder why he would turn down 2 million a year at Vanderbilt but accept the ASU job.
He thought he was Jesus with a clipboard, came back to Auburn this year, didn't have the best player on the field(McFadden/Newton), and stunk it up. He's getting out to a lower level where he can shine before his star burns out.

Vanderbilt got the much better end of the deal. James Franklin is the man. Gus Malzahn is high school.

dc24

Quote from: Big Fan on December 13, 2011, 06:36:47 pm
Quote from: dc24 on December 13, 2011, 06:04:48 pm

Hmmmm....think this has anything to do with Kristi?

Possibly. 

And ZD, I think being a head coach does something for his resume, and with what just happened with Freeze, obviously being successful at ASU can propel him to another job.

ASU Rugby

Quote from: zebradynasty on December 13, 2011, 06:31:20 pm
IF Gus takes the job my guess is it would be for family reasons not career. It is almost a guarantee that Gus gets a shot at a major d-1 program within the next 3 years. ASU (no offense) does nothing for his resume. I have no proof just speculation  :-\

Yeah...did nothing for Hugh Freeze.

RD™

stAte is no longer a speed bump, they are a stepping stone program

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas