• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Congratulations 5A Girls Champs Harrison Lady Goblins! Defeat PA 4-3

Started by sevenof400, May 17, 2014, 09:54:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

sevenof400

From the soccer I was able to see this week, these are clearly the best two teams in terms of their quality of play across the three games of the tournament.  In their path to the finals, both teams had to deal with at least one other team that could have been considered a pre tournament favorite.

Harrison defeated Greene County Tech, Little Rock Christian, and Sylvan Hills.
PA took down Hope, Greenbrier, and Shiloh Christian.

And both teams looked fairly comfortable and confident during play. 
This could end up being the best (most even) matchup of the playoffs. 

Thoughts, comments and/or observations?

The Coach

Harrison has so much balance and having been in this game just last year and for the 3rd time in 4 years I think gives them a slight advantage. Should be a very good game from what I saw this week.

Go Postal

After watching both of these teams play in the semifinals:

Both teams play style was similar to each other overall.  Though both shot the short and long ball, Harrison seemed to be a little more consistently better on short ball passes and PA seemed to be a little more consistently better on long ball passes.  That #2 forward for PA was amazing with her speed to get past the defenders on the long pass.  Both teams are very talented.

Some interesting tidbits about these two girl's teams...

The last time these two teams met up in a Championship game was:
2003 – Pulaski Academy (Runner-up Harrison)

PA girls have since 2002:
Six State Championships (Four in 5A, Two in 4A).
Two State Runner-ups.

Harrison girls have since 2002:
Three State Championships.
Two State Runner-ups.

Other interesting tidbits...
6A Searcy boys/girls, 5A Harrison boys and 5A PA boys have gotten knocked out during the playoffs this year.  The current Championship record of the Top 5 Arkansas boys/girls teams from 1998 through 2013 are as follows:
Overall State Boys/Girls Championships for all Conferences
10 Searcy (6B / 4G)
9 Harrison (6B / 3G)
9 Pulaski Academy (3B / 6G)
6 Bentonville (1B / 5G)
6 Central Arkansas Christian (1B / 5G)

So, either PA girls or Harrison girls will move their school up to tie for 1st place with Searcy with the most Soccer Championships.
Congratulations to both of these teams for their hard work and talent to accomplish this over the years and this year.

It should be a good game.  Good Luck to both.

Go Postal

May 19, 2014, 08:33:01 pm #3 Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 08:39:26 pm by Go Postal
I like both teams.  But being a Goblin Nation fan, I have to put this out there for going for the Ring...

Good Luck to both teams!

Go Postal

To the Lady Goblins, just because PA have beaten you in the past, "Superstition ain't the way".  Let your talent show.

Enjoy...

MB Hog

From a PA perspective, I've felt going into all the other games that PA would win, but this one looks like a toss-up and may come down to a few key plays and a little luck.  Either way, both teams look like the cream of the crop this year and definitely deserve to be here.

Lionheart88

This being Arkansas high school soccer, I'm not betting against the private school.  That said, if any one's got the chance to take PA down, its Harrison.  Comparative scores is always shaky ground, but how many teams have played both?  I know LRCA and Sylvan Hills have, are there any others?

MB Hog

They've now both played Greenbrier and Shiloh, but it is definitely tough to compare scores.

LRCA is the only team to beat PA this year and that came in PKs.  PA beat them 2-0 in the rematch.

sevenof400

I'm not sure Harrison has any one girl as good on the attack as #2 for PA but at the same time, I saw several Harrison girls attacking the goal in the two semi final games played Saturday.  Hard to extrapolate too much from such a small sample but it really should be a good matchup.   

chaoslord

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 20, 2014, 12:38:04 pm
I'm not sure Harrison has any one girl as good on the attack as #2 for PA but at the same time, I saw several Harrison girls attacking the goal in the two semi final games played Saturday.  Hard to extrapolate too much from such a small sample but it really should be a good matchup.   

Yeah, these were about my thoughts too. Didn't pay as much attention to the games as I could have, but I think a) Harrison will just edge it, and b) it's going to be one of the better finals.

MB Hog

Quote from: sevenof400 on May 20, 2014, 12:38:04 pm
#2 - Morgan Wallace - She's an even better basketball player and such a great kid.  She's been at PA since she was four.

I think what makes this so tough to predict is neither team has gone up against an offense as strong as these two have.  Most teams just don't have the scoring ability that PA and Harrison have, so it will probably come down to whose defense can step up and who controls the middle of the field.

Sir Alex

You are right, Harrison hasn't played one team that has that kind of offense. 

As far as a single player that can score, you are right there also, Harrison doesn't have that one player. 

As far as comparing scores, you definitely can't compare the Shiloh score, Harrison never got to see that side of Shiloh.

Go Postal

May 20, 2014, 08:11:42 pm #12 Last Edit: May 20, 2014, 08:16:00 pm by Go Postal
My son pointed #2 Lady Bruin out to me.  Man, she sure does have speed.  I forgot how many times PA shot the long pass way over her and the defenders heads and I thought, "What are the doing?  That ball will surely go out of bounds", but sure enough she did what I thought couldn't be done and caught up with the ball in the corner and shot or crossed for the shot.  Her stride was amazing!  Problem for Harrison, if they focus on just her, it leaves it open for the other PA strikers.
For instance,
Sylvan Hills tried to double team one of Harrison's best strikers, but it left open three other Lady Goblin strikers to make 4 goals.  But if they didn't double team, there was a good chance that Harrison might have scored more.
Hmmm...
Both teams are so much similar overall.  Defense will be the key.  Perfect defensive strategy, I don't know on these two teams.  Loading the box up with a multitude of players on defense for the close to the goal play doesn't always work as some teams have found out because both of these teams can shoot the long "hillbilly" ball for the possible goal in the farther from goal.  I think the key offensive strategy will be how either team spreads the other team out for that "once in a lifetime" perfect goal.  Heck, seeing these two great teams play, this might even go to PKs.  One on one.  I'm not sure, but I don't think that either teams have gone to PKs yet for the win this season.

I would really like to see a Harrison Championship, but if they lose, then I can't think of a better team to lose to in the Finals.  They ARE the two best teams in the 5A this season.  Both have been here before against each other.  Both have been here before against other teams.  Should be a GREAT game!
That said,
Good Luck to both teams and always,
GO LADY GOBLINS!!!

Go Postal

I saw in the paper today, that they verified (something that I knew) that the Lady Goblins is the only public school that has ever made it to the 5A Finals since 2002.  Other schools that have made it in the 5A conference are LRCA, PA, CAC and Shiloh since 2002. 8)

Great Job, Lady Goblins!  Win or lose, you still have made a statement.

Looking over the wins/losses of the Lady Goblins over the years by the other aforementioned teams brings the below link to my thoughts...
Enjoy,

You might try to mess with the Lady Goblins, but don't think that they will not come back to haunt you!!

Sir Alex

Arbitro

Quote from: Go Postal on May 21, 2014, 08:55:47 pm
I saw in the paper today, that they verified (something that I knew) that the Lady Goblins is the only public school that has ever made it to the 5A Finals since 2002.  Other schools that have made it in the 5A conference are LRCA, PA, CAC and Shiloh since 2002. 8)
The 5A Girls runner-up in 2004 was Arkadelphia, according to the list on the 1998-present thread.

Sir Alex

That is true.  They had a quality team that year.  If I remember correctly that game was played at North Little Rock High School.  Dang that was 10 years ago. 

Go Postal

May 21, 2014, 11:15:11 pm #17 Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 11:42:00 pm by Go Postal
Quote from: Arbitro on May 21, 2014, 10:21:31 pm
Quote from: Go Postal on May 21, 2014, 08:55:47 pm
The 5A Girls runner-up in 2004 was Arkadelphia, according to the list on the 1998-present thread.
Quote from: Sir Alex on May 21, 2014, 10:34:12 pm
That is true.  They had a quality team that year.  If I remember correctly that game was played at North Little Rock High School.  Dang that was 10 years ago. 
You're right, I should have said, "since 2005".  The paper was wrong, I should have looked to what that soccer forum has posted. Muy malo, my bad.  That forum for soccer is the best soccer forum due to the great work from all soccer and non soccer fans to accomplish all stats.

But in the local paper and my defense, we were in the AAAA back then, not 5A that we are known now.

Go Postal

Looking back at what these two teams have accomplished not only in this season but in any past seasons to get to this point.  I'm very impressed.  I can't speak for the Lady Bruins, but I do know that the Lady Goblins have played some good 6A/7A teams in non conference.  I imagine that the Lady Bruins have done the same.
An Aussie Goblin fan reminded me of this song on what these two teams have done to get this far in any season...

Just replace band with team.  Enjoy,

Good Luck to both teams!  You have gained the respect and admiration of your town, State and other countries in getting here!  Play hard, play great.  May the best team win and always,

GO LADY GOBLINS!!!  22-2-0, make it 23-2-0!!!

MB Hog

Quote from: Go Postal on May 22, 2014, 09:00:37 pm
Looking back at what these two teams have accomplished not only in this season but in any past seasons to get to this point.  I'm very impressed.  I can't speak for the Lady Bruins, but I do know that the Lady Goblins have played some good 6A/7A teams in non conference.  I imagine that the Lady Bruins have done the same.
An Aussie Goblin fan reminded me of this song on what these two teams have done to get this far in any season...

Just replace band with team.  Enjoy,

Good Luck to both teams!  You have gained the respect and admiration of your town, State and other countries in getting here!  Play hard, play great.  May the best team win and always,

GO LADY GOBLINS!!!  22-2-0, make it 23-2-0!!!
Yep - Lady Bruins beat North Little Rock and Mt. Saint Mary this year.  Also beat 4a finalist and semi-finalist Maumelle and CAC.  I think both of these two 5A teams are pretty special.

We saw the PA girls off this afternoon around 4pm.  Looking forward to the big game tomorrow!  Good luck to both teams, but especially to PA!   ;)

Go Postal

The weird thing that I see is, that the two 4A Girl's State finalists, Valley View and Maumelle are moving up to the 5A in the next cycle.  4A Valley View to the 5A East, 4A Maumelle to the 5A West.  Could be very interesting next cycle.  But that will be another story next season.

Good Luck to them in the 4A final game and the Lady Bruins/Lady Goblins in the 5A final game!

The Coach

Was looking at scores and it looks like these 2 have 4 common opponents. However, like Sir Alex said Shiloh doesn't really count. Both played LRCA twice. Harrison won both 2-0 and 1-0 where PA split losin in pk's and winning 2-0. They both also played Cabot where PA tied 2-2 and Harrison won 2-0. Then Sylvan Hills where PA won twice and Harrison won their only meeting. I'm curious if SH played the same style vs PA that they did vs Harrison? Putting #7 on defense and playing really defensive and low pressure until Harrison forced them out of it. 

MB Hog

PA played a bad game against Cabot.  Just came out flat.  The first game against Sylvan Hills they had number 7 on offense the whole game, but I don't think she ever got closer to the goal than the 30 yard line.  PA won 4-0 after a slow start (1-0 at the half).

The second game #7 played the first half at defense, but I think we got 3 of our 4 girls when she was back there.  She moved to offense in the second half, but the same story - she didn't get close to the goal.

VHSCoach2

May 23, 2014, 01:56:44 pm #23 Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 03:36:24 pm by VHSCoach2
Final: Harrison 4 (21', 30', 73', 73' PK), Pulaski Academy 3 (9', 11', 47')

Note: Harrison had a clear goal at 62' disallowed and turned into a corner for some reason.

Lionheart88

Well done Harrison!  They can back from an early deficit too, didn't they?

Arbitro

Quote from: VHSCoach2 on May 23, 2014, 01:56:44 pm
Final: Harrison 4 (21', 30', 73', 73' PK), Pulaski Academy 3 (9', 11', 47')

Note: Harrison had a clear goal at 62' disallowed and turned into a corner for some reason.
Ball over the goal line before it was crossed?  A gap in the net that allowed a shot deflected outside the post to end up in the goal?  Or a free kick by the defense that went directly into their own goal?  Best possible explanations I can think of for a corner kick.

BigChief

Disallowed goal went over top then snuck into goal thru a hole in the back. That was one of the best girl's soccer game I have seen since the last Harrison girl's championship. That was a game of two evenly matched teams!

Sir Alex

The Coach

Quote from: Lionheart88 on May 23, 2014, 04:00:38 pm
Well done Harrison!  They can back from an early deficit too, didn't they?

Yes it was 2-0 12 minutes in then 3-2 8 minutes into the second half before they took the lead 4-3 in the last 8 minutes.

Go Postal

Congratulations Lady Goblins!
Fantastic Season!  23-2-0

Here is a write up from the Springfield, MO news link...

http://www.ozarkssportszone.com/pages/19076071.php?contentType=4&contentId=15284165

The win today puts Harrison school tied with Searcy school for 1st place. 

Top 5 Overall State Boys/Girls Championships for all Conferences
10 Searcy (6B / 4G)
10 Harrison (6B / 4G)
9 Pulaski Academy (3B / 6G)
6 Bentonville (1B / 5G)
6 Central Arkansas Christian (1B / 5G)
(Bentonville boys/girls and CAC boys games still pending)

Now I have to make a new signature avatar with ten Championships. ;D

Go Postal

BTW, I saw in the local paper before this game, that out of the 18 Lady Goblins athletes, that we will lose 3 seniors after this year, also out of that eighteen, 8 were Sophomores and Freshmen.

Brings this song to mind.  "The Future's so bright, I gotta wear Shades".

Enjoy...

MB Hog

Great game!  Congrats Harrison. Extremely similar teams very well matched. To me the difference was conditioning. Harrison is in better shape than PA and it showed late in both halves.

Looks like we will be meeting like this for years to come. PA loses 5 seniors, but only two who play much. We have some great new freshmen coming in next year, too.

Sad we didn't win, but Harrison is a class act and I'm happy for you. See you next year.

soccerhawg

Just curious, is the two goals in the 73' for Harrison, correct?  If so, how did that come about?

puma

Yes this is correct. You ask how Katie Freakin Jones.   Juked three and put one in lower right . Right after that Katie Freakin Jones earned a pk in PAs box with Shelby M taking the kick #$

Sir Alex

puma

Go Postal

Quote from: puma on May 23, 2014, 09:06:59 pm
Yes this is correct. You ask how Katie Freakin Jones.   Juked three and put one in lower right . Right after that Katie Freakin Jones earned a pk in PAs box with Shelby M taking the kick #$
Quote from: Sir Alex on May 23, 2014, 10:19:15 pm
When did Katie change her middle name?
I believe today or...
Quote from: puma on May 23, 2014, 10:34:16 pm
lol about a yr ago  ;D

InYoGrill

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas