• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CLUB SOCCER RUMORS IN LITTLE ROCK

Started by michu, March 26, 2013, 09:40:37 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Brownclown

LR Dad,

That's my understanding also.  I saw Justin tonight and he pretty much confirmed what you said.

whatdoIknow

July 24, 2013, 10:53:59 am #151 Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 08:07:56 pm by whatdoIknow
Rush player, Jess Smith, has been added to Davidson College's (NCAA Division 1 school in North Carolina) roster:

http://www.davidsonwildcats.com/roster.aspx?path=msoc&;

LR_Dad

Any opinions on the "new" Arkansas United?  Curious if those associated with Academy and Classic are pleased with the changes.

michu

Quote from: LR_Dad on October 17, 2013, 02:08:04 pm
Any opinions on the "new" Arkansas United?  Curious if those associated with Academy and Classic are pleased with the changes.
What are the changes to the classic program?

LR_Dad

Truthfully, I'm not sure if anything has changed in the classic program.  However, I'm curious if the Coerver coaches also work with them...or if anything else has changed since the new DC has come on board.

Brownclown

Quote from: LR_Dad on October 18, 2013, 08:28:20 am
Truthfully, I'm not sure if anything has changed in the classic program.  However, I'm curious if the Coerver coaches also work with them...or if anything else has changed since the new DC has come on board.

It's certainly much more organized with a club-wide syllabus and the Coerver coaches do work with the teams at least once per week.  I have no idea what's going on with the Academy program, but I'm happy with the direction the DOC is going.
What have you noticed in Rec, LR Dad?

LR_Dad

I like Coerver a lot...and we've had a great rec experience.  I agree on the overall organization of the club, and we're actually going to move back to academy in the Spring.  I've always liked the idea of academy, and I now feel like the club is headed in the right direction.  Very impressed with Justin.

Brownclown

Quote from: LR_Dad on November 25, 2013, 11:07:04 am
I like Coerver a lot...and we've had a great rec experience.  I agree on the overall organization of the club, and we're actually going to move back to academy in the Spring.  I've always liked the idea of academy, and I now feel like the club is headed in the right direction.  Very impressed with Justin.

Great!  I hope your family has a better experience with it this time around.
I'm also very pleased with the job Justin is doing.  He has a tremendous amount to fix, but the results are good so far. 

Rey Pygsterio

Mark Farmer, one of the Coerver coaches working with Arkansas United, is one of the best things to happen to Little Rock soccer in a long time.

Brownclown

Quote from: Rey Pygsterio on December 04, 2013, 12:09:09 am
Mark Farmer, one of the Coerver coaches working with Arkansas United, is one of the best things to happen to Little Rock soccer in a long time.

Agreed.  I hope we find a way to keep him around.

LR_Dad

Well...any news on club soccer in central Arkansas?  Mark Farmer left and Coerver is no longer officially involved with AR United.  Academy has reverted back to its old structure...players of various ability are mixed up among several teams (pretty sure a bunch of parents complained).  The club numbers have "exploded"...I think from 1100 to 1500 total kids.

I have mixed emotions about the changes, but we're still with the club. 

Any news on Rush (particularly in LR)?

michu

AU seems to be doing a good job adding numbers and introducing kids to the game, however they still seem to be doing an inadequate job developing classic level players/teams. Sure there are exceptions, but those types of numbers is more than enough to achieve a level of consistency.

How many kids play with the Comets in NWA? I don't know, but they are getting it done in the competitive age groups. They had four teams make it out of group play, playing in the top brackets, this past weekend at the Plano/Labor Day Tournament (U11, U14, and two in the U15 age group with the U15 Premier winning). 

LR_Dad

AU has no philosophy as a club, and there is no consistency from season to season.  We desperately need another club in Little Rock that provides opportunities for competitive players.  Currently the other clubs are no different than AU...frankly we have too many mediocre clubs.  I don't know what the Comets are doing but they're obviously doing something right.  I don't really know much about Rush either, but i wish they would make a serious effort to expand their club into LR.  They at least appear to have a philosophy on player development.

michu

We still have too many parents who didn't grow up playing the game, so its hard for them to understand that our local clubs don't do a very good job. I am sure some of these clubs have some good coaches, but we are never going to see improvement until our young players are involved with a club that has a club philosophy and a development curriculum based on the club philosophy. Training environment is also very important and it has to be created in way that keeps the better athletes engaged in the game as opposed to moving on to different sports. We also need a club that has player resources, especially when a players development has exceeded our local and state level.

Our state will continue to sit at the bottom of the barrel in Region III as our surrounding states continue to make the necessary changes to improve youth soccer.

There is a simply solution, but our local soccer decision makers don't seem to be interested.

Lionheart88

Coach/parent ego isn't helping much of anywhere.  Not too long ago I witnessed a U16 coach yelling at a player for accepting a call to go play for the association's U19s earlier that weekend.  The games weren't even the same day, but the U16s lost (through no fault of the player being yelled at) and their coach was meeting the player have it, "Don't you ever play for that team again while you're playing for me" and all that, no care at all for the fact that one of his top players was better served developmentally by the challenge of playing older teams.  That kind of territoriality where "my players" are mine and it's about my team's record does nothing to aid player development.

michu

Quote from: Lionheart88 on September 23, 2014, 01:57:22 pm
That kind of territoriality where "my players" are mine and it's about my team's record does nothing to aid player development.
You are exactly right. Best interest of the player needs to be the focus of those decisions.

This town is simply stuck in the 80's of youth soccer. The wrong people are the decision makers and their egos won't let the right people step up and make the necessary changes. Soccer people need to be making soccer decisions.

LR_Dad

Regarding parents...I couldn't agree more.  I believe many of the club coaches at AU genuinely want to move the club forward, but are held back the board (which is full of parents).  This has been a problem for a LONG time.  There are a few sensible board members, but I'm afraid they're outnumbered. 

Soccer has turned a corner, and the old way of doing things has to stop.  Michu's comment about the "80's" is spot on.

kickabout

Surely everyone involved (parents and coaches) truly want the best for their kids and other kids involved in central Arkansas soccer. However, if the goal is to develop players to consistently compete well at a regional level, whatever has been done in the past has been a colossal failure, for the most part. My caveat is that these comments and my first-hand knowledge is limited to the boys.  I can't speak to the situation with the girls.

Even consistent success at Region 3 has been elusive (again, for the most part) and to even succeed at Region 3 "ain't what it used to be" because the best teams don't even compete there anymore and are playing Academy instead.

There should be only ONE club covering all of central Arkansas, with one philosophy and one technical director who truly is in charge of coaching and the coaches.  Let the coaches...coach.  Let the well-intentioned moms and dads (like myself) be the lawyers, bankers, and accountants...but let the coaches run the show.  Do you think for a second that ANY of the Academy teams would allow a parent to direct the show?

And, as much as I regret saying this, but the truth hurts sometimes...until there is REAL unity in central Arkansas soccer, not just a name change, central Arkansas soccer will struggle.  The struggle may at times produce some regional wins, but the talent will lose interest and move on to other sports without an organization in place, led by coaches, to consistently support, encourage and develop that talent. 

sevenof400

In all fairness, and to look at the complete picture, one needs to consider the Arkansas State Soccer Association's role in this......

kickabout

michu

Quote from: kickabout on September 26, 2014, 11:56:17 pm
There should be only ONE club covering all of central Arkansas, with one philosophy and one technical director who truly is in charge of coaching and the coaches. 
I see no problem with multiple rec level clubs, but they need to funnel into one classic program with all of the above mentioned attributes. The limited talent our community produces needs to be training together under the right structure and in the right environment.

LR_Dad

The time is right for a strong club to make a legitmate push into LR because AU is rudderless.  From Classic down to Academy, there's a tremendous amount of frustration in the club.  Even some of the classic coaches are venting their frustration.  I suspect their numbers will decline over the next 6-9 months and that may be what it takes to wake them up. 

Next year you will see AU "teams" move to both Bluebirds and Rush unless something dramatically changes.

michu

Quote from: LR_Dad on October 01, 2014, 10:41:11 am
Next year you will see AU "teams" move to both Bluebirds and Rush unless something dramatically changes.
Why would coaches and/or teams want to move over to Bluebird? Do they offer some of the above mentioned attributes needed to create a full service club? Just curious.

LR_Dad

Only because of location, and they don't know a lot about Rush.  It's primarily players/parents from WLR that have friends at Bluebirds, etc.

michu

I understand location being important at the rec. level, but it's sad to see location being an important factor at the classic level. In these cases, I think it's more about the parents not having much of a background in the game resulting in a lack of understanding of development. Hopefully, as we see more parents with a playing background, they start to demand more from existing clubs or move kids to a full service club like the Rush appears to be.

LR_Dad

Re: the WLR parents/players....I don't know them well.  I'm not sure they're "locked in" to moving over to the Bluebirds.  I think the more people learn about Rush, the more likely they'll consider them an option.  Rush just needs to continue growing its presence in LR. 

kickabout

October 04, 2014, 04:12:26 pm #176 Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 01:12:43 am by kickabout
Rush is an excellent organization with extensive contacts around the country.

Jess Smith (Arkansas Rush) is in his second season playing D1 for Davidson College in North Carolina.  They've been ranked this season in the top 20 by Soccer America (15) and Top Drawer (19). Although just handed their first loss of the season, last week they knocked off previously ranked #2 UVA at Charlottesville and started the season off with a win over Cal-Poly.

http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/soccer-men/d1

Brownclown

Quote from: sevenof400 on September 27, 2014, 08:22:29 pm
In all fairness, and to look at the complete picture, one needs to consider the Arkansas State Soccer Association's role in this......

True! True! True!

Brownclown

October 06, 2014, 04:02:00 am #178 Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:47:46 am by Brownclown
Quote from: LR_Dad on October 02, 2014, 08:22:45 am
Only because of location, and they don't know a lot about Rush.  It's primarily players/parents from WLR that have friends at Bluebirds, etc.
If you think AU is rudderless then wait until you join Bluebirds or Rush.  Rush nationally has resources, locally not so much. 
Parents are as much of the problem as anything.  We have one family that is on their 3 round with AU!  They've played with AU, BB, Jacksonville, AU (sat his kid in the spring because he wasn't on the A team playing up), Rush and now back to AU.  Am I the only one that thinks that's ridiculous ? And DRAMA follows them wherever they go.
Our team lost to Lightning in State Cup finals mostly due to their size and direct play. Now, with the addition of a few Rush (and a Bryant dad that demanded his kid wear #10 and NEVER be a defender) kids and the drama associated, the team is a disaster. "Little Timmy doesn't WANT to play defender!!! Waaaaa!!!  Play little Timmy only as a Striker and he WILL play the entire game or we'll leave and go back to Rush! Waaaaaaa!!!!"  I wish they would.

The reality of it is; Rush has national resources that few local clubs in ANY city have, but I haven't seen that benefit central Arkansas soccer yet.  I've been hearing about how great they were since Middlestadt was running the show, but they haven't made much progress.
If anyone thinks their kid is a world-beater, then start hauling him/her to Dallas.  Beyond that, you won't see much difference in central Arkansas clubs.  And as 7of400 mentioned earlier the ASSA is as complicit in this as any club.

Brownclown

Quote from: LR_Dad on September 25, 2014, 09:09:17 am
Regarding parents...I couldn't agree more.  I believe many of the club coaches at AU genuinely want to move the club forward, but are held back the board (which is full of parents).  This has been a problem for a LONG time.  There are a few sensible board members, but I'm afraid they're outnumbered. 

Soccer has turned a corner, and the old way of doing things has to stop.  Michu's comment about the "80's" is spot on.

Just curious what you mean about coaches wanting to move forward and what is the board doing to hold the club back?

Brownclown

Quote from: Brownclown on October 06, 2014, 04:14:19 am

Just curious what you mean about coaches wanting to move forward and what is the board doing to hold the club back?  Were you at the club meeting @ Murray a few weeks ago?  Do you know there's an open seat on the board?  You should volunteer. And I mean that seriously.  You're passionate about change, so see what you can do and I'm not being sarcastic in any way.

michu

Quote from: Brownclown on October 06, 2014, 04:02:00 am
Quote from: LR_Dad on October 02, 2014, 08:22:45 am
If you think AU is rudderless then wait until you join Bluebirds or Rush.  Rush nationally has resources, locally not so much. 

The reality of it is; Rush has national resources that few local clubs in ANY city have, but I haven't seen that benefit central Arkansas soccer yet.  I've been hearing about how great they were since Middlestadt was running the show, but they haven't made much progress.
I assume you mean rudderless to be zero direction? If so, then I don't think you can put Rush in that category. Rush is a not-for-profit organization, so they have not been able to utilize all of their programming due to local club numbers. It appears they have definition from the younger age groups through competitive, but simply lack the players. It's been said before on this thread, but they obviously are doing things right as the club has won state, regional, and national championships along with consistently sending kids to national team camps. A club run by parents or a club that has zero player development would be my definition of rudderless.

michu

Quote from: Brownclown on October 06, 2014, 05:44:45 am

Just curious what you mean about coaches wanting to move forward and what is the board doing to hold the club back?  Were you at the club meeting @ Murray a few weeks ago?  Do you know there's an open seat on the board?  You should volunteer. And I mean that seriously.  You're passionate about change, so see what you can do and I'm not being sarcastic in any way.
AU needs a complete overhaul starting with their board. They need boardmembers who have a specific background instead of an agenda like making sure "little Johnny" makes the classic team. Multiple DOC's have come and gone recently due to their unsophisticated soccer board members.

LR_Dad

OK Brownclown, here goes...

Re: Bluebirds - i have no interest, and I agree with you on all the problems associated with that club. Sadly they have some of the best coaches in the state, but we all know they only work with certain teams.

Re: Rush - look at another post in this thread if you want to see their record on producing D1 players.  And they've done' this with a significantly smaller number of players.  Look at how Rush has down around the nation.  You make a wonderful point about Rush..."Rush has national resources that few local clubs in ANY city have".  So why not join them?  They've approached AU about merging, and the AU board promptly shot that down.  If the board is so knowledgeable, why turn down an opportunity like that?  Probably because the board members are parents that enjoy having a direct influence on the teams their children play on.

We've been with LRFC, AU, etc from the start and have seen the same problems repeated.  How many DOCs have we had in the last 5 years?  If the board is doing such a good job, why can't we keep coaches? Why do we change our philosophy every year? How competitive are AU teams when playing other teams in the state/region (not just your child's team)?  How many D1 college players does AU produce? 

I'm familiar with your "Black" team...and the drama shouldn't be allowed.  The player/family should have been told to play elsewhere, but he wasn't.  Maybe a stronger club would have taken a stand, but who knows?

I'll assume you aren't being sarcastic and carefully address your AU board question.  Yes I've been at board meetings.  I've also witnessed how some coaches are treated by board members.  Have you? I believe we have a total 13-14 board positions (which is idiotic).  There should be half that number and THEN maybe you could get some "passionate" people interested in making a change.  As it stands now, you need significant turnover which will take a very long time in our current structure. 

Lastly...this is just funny: "If anyone thinks their kid is a world-beater, then start hauling him/her to Dallas".  One family did this, as I'm sure you know.  I watched the kid play once, and he was very good. Sadly they shouldn't have to "haul" him off to Dallas.  LR should have a strong club that provides opportunities to talented kids.  But we don't.  Maybe Rush could fill that void?  I'd like to see them get some support so we could find out. 

michu

I did go out to Burns Park this weekend to watch some games and the level of play was pretty disappointing. There needs to be some major overhauls in Little Rock youth soccer or we are going to continue to be the joke of region 3.

Brownclown

Quote from: LR_Dad on October 06, 2014, 09:54:10 am
OK Brownclown, here goes...

Re: Bluebirds - i have no interest, and I agree with you on all the problems associated with that club. Sadly they have some of the best coaches in the state, but we all know they only work with certain teams.

Re: Rush - look at another post in this thread if you want to see their record on producing D1 players.  And they've done' this with a significantly smaller number of players.  Look at how Rush has down around the nation.  You make a wonderful point about Rush..."Rush has national resources that few local clubs in ANY city have".  So why not join them?  They've approached AU about merging, and the AU board promptly shot that down.  If the board is so knowledgeable, why turn down an opportunity like that?  Probably because the board members are parents that enjoy having a direct influence on the teams their children play on.

We've been with LRFC, AU, etc from the start and have seen the same problems repeated.  How many DOCs have we had in the last 5 years?  If the board is doing such a good job, why can't we keep coaches? Why do we change our philosophy every year? How competitive are AU teams when playing other teams in the state/region (not just your child's team)?  How many D1 college players does AU produce? 

I'm familiar with your "Black" team...and the drama shouldn't be allowed.  The player/family should have been told to play elsewhere, but he wasn't.  Maybe a stronger club would have taken a stand, but who knows?

I'll assume you aren't being sarcastic and carefully address your AU board question.  Yes I've been at board meetings.  I've also witnessed how some coaches are treated by board members.  Have you? I believe we have a total 13-14 board positions (which is idiotic).  There should be half that number and THEN maybe you could get some "passionate" people interested in making a change.  As it stands now, you need significant turnover which will take a very long time in our current structure. 

Lastly...this is just funny: "If anyone thinks their kid is a world-beater, then start hauling him/her to Dallas".  One family did this, as I'm sure you know.  I watched the kid play once, and he was very good. Sadly they shouldn't have to "haul" him off to Dallas.  LR should have a strong club that provides opportunities to talented kids.  But we don't.  Maybe Rush could fill that void?  I'd like to see them get some support so we could find out.

Yep.  I've been to plenty of board meetings and there's plenty of blame to go around. 

The particular parent has been confronted by the club and he  cowered, so he's still here for now. Not sure where you got the information that he wasn't.

As far as one family "hauling" their kid to Dallas, it's been more than one.  I personally know of 3, but whatever.

There's more to LRFC and Rush not merging than the board simply shooting it down.  If they had merged it would've put very difficult financial strains on LRFC/AU and I'll leave it at that.

Good luck with whatever direction you choose, but I'm not in the mood to debate this after this weekend and dealing with parents that demand their kid play striker and literally cry if they play defender.

I sincerely hope you find what you're looking for.  You should give Rush a shot, seriously.

Brownclown

October 06, 2014, 11:12:21 am #186 Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:24:11 am by Brownclown

AU needs a complete overhaul starting with their board. They need boardmembers who have a specific background instead of an agenda like making sure "little Johnny" makes the classic team. Multiple DOC's have come and gone recently due to their unsophisticated soccer board members.
[/quote]
There are only 5 board members whose  kids play classic.  Of those, 3 joined the board AFTER their kids were already assigned teams therefore had no team influence.
6 of the board members have high school soccer experience.  2 of those have collegiate playing experience and high school coaching experience.

I'm not going to bash current or former DOC's as to what they did or don't do or why they left.

LR_Dad

Thanks for the insightful response Brownclown.  If you're comfortable with the status quo in Arkansas soccer, you're at the right club.

I'll keep looking for something better...along with a lot of other parents and players.

Brownclown

October 06, 2014, 11:22:37 am #188 Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 11:40:52 am by Brownclown
Quote from: LR_Dad on October 06, 2014, 11:17:27 am
Thanks for the insightful response Brownclown.  If you're comfortable with the status quo in Arkansas soccer, you're at the right club.

I'll keep looking for something better...along with a lot of other parents and players.

I'm not comfortable, but you're not going to find it in Arkansas.  I look for other opportunities in addition to those my son has PLAYING with his FRIENDS.  I hope you have other outlets besides having a stroke about youth soccer.
Here's the link to AU alumni if you haven't seen it.  Unless YOU recruit for your son the chances of him playing D1 soccer are quite low.  You do realize that most male soccer players are on partial scholarships at best?  You do realize that collegiate soccer budgets are shoestring thin?  So, why would a collegiate coach spend valuable recruiting money to go after a few Arkansas kids when he can go to Dallas/Ft Worth and literally fill his entire roster? 
http://www.arkansasunited.com/Default.aspx?tabid=158616

When are you leaving?

LR_Dad

I'm not the one "having a stroke" on a public forum...that would be you. My children and their friends (along with their parents) are trying to find a better option.  Again, if you're happy with AU that's great. Just don't get so upset if others don't agree.

Brownclown

Quote from: LR_Dad on October 06, 2014, 11:40:53 am
I'm not the one "having a stroke" on a public forum...that would be you. My children and their friends (along with their parents) are trying to find a better option.  Again, if you're happy with AU that's great. Just don't get so upset if others don't agree.

I've said on more than one occasion that you should find what works for you.  I honestly don't care if you leave.  Good luck.

Brownclown

[/quote]

By the way, I assume the kid you're referring to whose family "hauled" him to Dallas?  If it's the same one, that young man is living in Dallas.  Did you know he has a parent on the Rush board?

LR_Dad

Thanks again Brownclown for your infinite wisdom on LR soccer.

"I'm not comfortable, but you're not going to find it in Arkansas."  So...just accept mediocrity and stop trying to find a solution to the problem?  Got it.

Yes I have a solid understanding of Collegiate soccer programs.  I doubt seriously that my kids will play college soccer, but you helped prove my point why Rush would be a better option.  IF your kid is good enough, you don't have to hope a college coach stumbles into AR and finds your child.  Rush provides opportunities outside of the state if you want to pursue them.

Yes I know the young man moved to Dallas, and yes i know he has a parent on the Rush board. 

When are we leaving?  pretty soon.

capn4lf

Quote from: LR_Dad on September 20, 2014, 01:45:58 pm
AU has no philosophy as a club, and there is no consistency from season to season.  We desperately need another club in Little Rock that provides opportunities for competitive players.  Currently the other clubs are no different than AU...frankly we have too many mediocre clubs.  I don't know what the Comets are doing but they're obviously doing something right.  I don't really know much about Rush either, but i wish they would make a serious effort to expand their club into LR.  They at least appear to have a philosophy on player development.

I'm sure AR United have a club or at least program philosophies.  In fact, I know they do.  Not saying you should agree with it or like it but I will say this;  It appears to me that if you don't like the programs offered by AR United you aren't going to like they ones offered by Rush.   Pretty similar in philosophy.

AR United--Little Rockers
http://www.arkansasunited.com/Default.aspx?tabid=160172

AR Rush--Mighty Mites
http://arkansasrush.com/index.php/programs/37-general/45-mighty-mites-overview

AR United--Recreational Soccer U5-U18
http://www.arkansasunited.com/Default.aspx?tabid=158586

AR Rush--Micro and Developmental (split into two programs but basically the same)
http://arkansasrush.com/index.php/programs/37-general/44-micro-overview
http://arkansasrush.com/index.php/programs/37-general/41-developmental-overview

AR United--Academy
http://www.arkansasunited.com/Default.aspx?tabid=158587

AR Rush--Youth Academy
http://arkansasrush.com/index.php/programs/37-general/43-youth-academy-overview

AR United--Classic
http://www.arkansasunited.com/Default.aspx?tabid=158609

AR Rush--Competitive
http://arkansasrush.com/index.php/programs/37-general/42-competitive-overview

Both push the ideas of player development through age-appropriate activities, both push for fun and enjoyment of the game, and both push the positives of their coaching staffs at the academy and competitive/classic levels.

I get that most people on this board are pushing an agenda so I take comments like "rudderless" and "no philosophy" with a grain of salt, but to me it seems like the two clubs have many more similarities than they do the differences some want to portray.

michu

I think we can all agree that we will never become Dallas, St. Louis, etc., but we can, as a soccer community, do a better job. This debate is good and it shows there is some interest in giving our kids a better option. If AU chose not to move forward with Rush because of money, then they are in the youth soccer business for the wrong reasons. Youth sport mergers should be done initially to create a  better club/situation/environment for the kids. AU has over 1000 kids in their program, but they are not consistently developing competitive classic teams. That hasn't changed since the club started back in the 80's. If they truly care about what they are doing, then they would worry less about their financial position and more about developing a better program.

The financial resources of AU and experience of Rush would create a much better youth soccer program in this town if merged together. Players, coaches, and parents would all benefit.

kickabout

Totally agree.  Rush is the way to go.  We had a terrific experience with them.

michu

Do all AU classic age group coaches follow a similar playing style? Does their rec program and youth academy follow a curriculum that prepares them for classic soccer? I am just asking because I don't know, but what I do know is that the successful clubs around the country do include that model. We can argue about style of play and development curriculum another day, but show me a club that has a model in place that takes a 4 year old up to college.

capn4lf

Quote from: michu on October 06, 2014, 09:33:10 am
Quote from: Brownclown on October 06, 2014, 05:44:45 am

I know the comment is designed to enhance the "rush good, AU bad" argument but the above highlighted sentence isn't true.  Not saying that there isn't a need for new board members, but they were not the reason any doc left.

michu

I think both clubs offer value, but it's a matter of realizing what each club brings to the table and merging those positive qualities. AU seems to do a very good job of getting kids involved in the game simply by looking at their numbers. However, they are not doing a good job of developing enough quality players and teams in the classic age groups. The Rush has a proven system in place that has developed quality teams and national team level players around the country. We don't have to look any farther than Memphis to see what this type of merger has created.

capn4lf

Quote from: michu on October 06, 2014, 01:51:56 pm
I think we can all agree that we will never become Dallas, St. Louis, etc., but we can, as a soccer community, do a better job. This debate is good and it shows there is some interest in giving our kids a better option. If AU chose not to move forward with Rush because of money, then they are in the youth soccer business for the wrong reasons. Youth sport mergers should be done initially to create a  better club/situation/environment for the kids. AU has over 1000 kids in their program, but they are not consistently developing competitive classic teams. That hasn't changed since the club started back in the 80's. If they truly care about what they are doing, then they would worry less about their financial position and more about developing a better program.

The financial resources of AU and experience of Rush would create a much better youth soccer program in this town if merged together. Players, coaches, and parents would all benefit.

I'll kill the suspense as to why this never happened as I happened to be in one of these merger meetings.  If you are going to merge any two businesses together you need a plan for how that is going to happen and how it is going to be organized.  The LRFC (at the time) board and staff coaches asked several very specific questions regarding how finances would be handled, club philosophy, and even the future of some of the full-time staff.  The responses were extremely wishy-washy.  For example "Matt, we have 3 full-time staff coaches.  What do you envision their roles being with Rush?"  Response:  "Uh, yeah, it will be fine.  We'll just make it work."  That was the basic response to every question.  There was no proposal made and seemingly no thought into how it would be organized.  I'm sure Matt was extremely well-intentioned but he came off as aloof  and unorganized.  The board was very much open to the possibility at that time and I imagine would be again if someone actually put some thought into it.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas