• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7A West Basketball

Started by springdalesmitty, February 14, 2017, 07:51:35 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

springdalesmitty

Anyway Harber could compete for a state Title this year?

Rob Van Winkle

No. Coaching will hold them back

Razorback Red

No way.  I've seen Harber twice and I don't think they are near the level of the top teams in the Central.  I'm not sure the West will even win a game in the state tourney, depends on who Harber and BHS get matched up with in 2nd round. 

Smart money is on NLR, NS or Cabot, but I also think Central has the talent to make a run. 

springdalesmitty

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on February 14, 2017, 07:57:16 pm
No. Coaching will hold them back
Can you give detail? I thought that their coach won 2 State titles in Northeast Arkansas?

Rob Van Winkle

Quote from: springdalesmitty on February 15, 2017, 11:47:20 am
Can you give detail? I thought that their coach won 2 State titles in Northeast Arkansas?
Yes he did but it that was at a much smaller classification. A few good players make a big difference.

As for this team they lack discipline and coach takes no ownership for mistakes. Always the players fault. He is not a leader. Just my 2 cents worth and no I do not have a kid who plays on the team so this is not a case of sour grapes. Just an outsider looking in

springdalesmitty

Quote from: Rob Van Winkle on February 15, 2017, 01:23:50 pm
Yes he did but it that was at a much smaller classification. A few good players make a big difference.

As for this team they lack discipline and coach takes no ownership for mistakes. Always the players fault. He is not a leader. Just my 2 cents worth and no I do not have a kid who plays on the team so this is not a case of sour grapes. Just an outsider looking in
Wow I hate that! I had no idea.

Razorback Red

I respect both of your opinions, but I'll throw my opinion in for having seen him Coach a few times.

I have no idea about his leadership style of how he manages players, but I do think his in game coaching decisions can keep HB in games even if they are outmatched. 

He has one  outstanding player (I don't care if he's 5'11", he's good) and in a close game, HB's HC will intentionally slow the game down by taking 1-2 minutes per posession and then have Perry go one-on-one to get fouled or score.  I'm personally not a fan of this strategy, but it works, especially against teams that have more overall talent. 

I am a fan of a shot-clock in HS bball to prevent this style of play, but as of now, he plays within the rules and is successful. 

As I was watching Harber last Friday, I was thinking about how good they would be had they not lost their best player to SWB. 

springdalesmitty

Harber just fell short in second half Saturday. They should have a shot the next couple of years. If the Benson kid would have stayed, they win it this year I think.

businesstron

Quote from: springdalesmitty on March 07, 2017, 04:52:35 pm
Harber just fell short in second half Saturday. They should have a shot the next couple of years. If the Benson kid would have stayed, they win it this year I think.

Gotta disagree with you there.  Benson would've help them maybe get to the final but I don't think they could beat NLR even with Benson.

I will say with Perry and the Garrett boys they will be a favorite to make it to Hot Springs next year.  Them and NLR again.  The problem is with is Harber is they can't self destruct.  They kind of did in the game against Northside.

springdalesmitty

Quote from: businesstron on March 07, 2017, 05:46:24 pm
Gotta disagree with you there.  Benson would've help them maybe get to the final but I don't think they could beat NLR even with Benson.

I will say with Perry and the Garrett boys they will be a favorite to make it to Hot Springs next year.  Them and NLR again.  The problem is with is Harber is they can't self destruct.  They kind of did in the game against Northside.
The same NLR team that lost to Harrison?

businesstron

Quote from: springdalesmitty on March 08, 2017, 02:21:14 pm
The same NLR team that lost to Harrison?

Yup the same team.  They have a couple of sophomores on their team that will keep them in contention for the next few years.  Two of whom(Moore and Fudge) are in their starting lineup and I wouldn't be surprised if they are both averaging double digit points or at least near it.

Harrison had a good team this year so no same losing to them. They also lost to Conway as well but when they played them in the play offs they were up by 20 by the end of the 4th quarter.   They gotten a lot better since December.

I won't be surprised if it's Harber vs NLR in Hot Springs in 2018. 

Buck183

Quote from: springdalesmitty on March 07, 2017, 04:52:35 pm

This is probably old news, buy I'm out of the loop. Please forgive me.

When did Benson leave and where did he go?  I find this intriguing given the history. 

DerekOxford

Quote from: Buck183 on March 17, 2017, 11:57:08 pm
This is probably old news, buy I'm out of the loop. Please forgive me.

When did Benson leave and where did he go?  I find this intriguing given the history.

He left after the 2015-16 season and went to SW Christian in Little Rock, the same school that produced Eric Curry and Tyrik Dixon, who met in the first round of the NCAA Tournament with their respective teams.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas