• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A Boys Basketball Weekly Top 16 Poll UPDATED JAN. 25

Started by #EagleStrong, November 20, 2015, 09:11:42 am

Previous topic - Next topic

#EagleStrong

November 20, 2015, 09:11:42 am Last Edit: January 25, 2016, 10:44:16 am by #EagleStrong
UPDATED

Week 8 Rankings

1. Cedar Ridge Timberwolves
2. Jessieville Lions
3. Valley Springs Tigers
4. Episcopal Collegiate Wildcats
5. Charleston Tigers
6. Paris Eagles
7. Two Rivers Gators
8. Osceola Seminoles
9. Smackover Buckaroos
10. Marshall Bobcats
11. Manila Lions
12. Centerpoint Knights
13. Lamar Warriors
14. Harding Academy Wildcats
15. Haskell-Harmony Grove Cardinals
16. Drew Central Pirates

See later post for explanation. This poll was strange.

#EagleStrong

Games tonight to keep an eye on:

Bismarck at Centerpoint
Cossatot River vs De Queen
Cotter at Eureka Springs
Greenland vs Mountainburg
Haskell Harmony Grove vs Poyen
Marshall at Yellville-Summit
Osceola at Earle
Perryville at Two Rivers
Valley Springs at Norfork

strongandsteady

Prescott isnt in the Top 16 but made it to the Semifinals last year?

#EagleStrong

Quote from: strongandsteady on November 20, 2015, 01:13:21 pm
Prescott isnt in the Top 16 but made it to the Semifinals last year?

And Mayflower was in the finals last year and didn't make the top 16. What's your point? It's not like they were a young team. They had three good seniors and got the benefit of a relatively easy path to the semis. So, no one expects much going into the season. If they win, they'll make the top 16, especially the way some of the teams at the bottom of the poll have been performing.

Head Lion

Top matchup Tuesday 11/24 when Manila travels to Cedar Ridge.

BigMan15

Tuesday Charleston travels to Pottsville not as good as manilla vs CR but it will be the first game with football players. Very excited to see how they look!!!

Paperman

Earle beat Osceola by Doyle digits Friday night!

#EagleStrong

Voting is open, so have at it. Kinda tough to figure out which teams deserve to be in there at the bottom of the poll.

teachers pet

Jessieville boys won their opener, 70-33 over Cossatot River. Girls also won.

#EagleStrong

AHSAA website says Cedar Ridge lost to Tuckerman. Anyone verify this?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: #EagleStrong on November 21, 2015, 04:42:43 pm

Maxpreps agreea...tuckerman 86 cedar 77

pioneers

Jonesboro sun agrees also. Said reeves hit a 3 at buzzer to send it into overtime. Then lost in ot. Austin had 51 last night.

Oldref

Quote from: HF on November 21, 2015, 05:33:13 pm

Maxpreps agreea...tuckerman 86 cedar 77

Looks like Coach Bateman has Tuckerman headed in the right direction. Their Jr high is really good and Sr high is off to a good start. Good young coach who was an assistant at Bay for several years before taking the Tuckerman job two years ago. Good luck to the Bulldogs!!!

HorseFeathers

neds

Quote from: razorbackmike on November 21, 2015, 01:43:02 pm
Jessieville boys won their opener, 70-33 over Cossatot River. Girls also won.

Jessieville boys are going to be very good this year. Girls are always solid. Boys will surprise many people.

bdog32

It happened.   Cedar ridge finished the game playing 2 on 5.  I thinkthey had 9 players dressed out so the foul count was very lopsided to say the least.   I would venture to guess that cedar ridge was called for twice as many fouls including the 2 techs called on the coach as tuckerman.  And tuckerman easily shot twice as many free throws.   As a bulldog fan I am happy for the players but can't be proud of the win with officiating like this.  Especially with one of the officials being from here .  Our bulldogs are vastly improved from previous years  but they had some help here.

teachers pet

Not sure Jessieville boys are a surprise, ranked in top 5.

pioneers

So cedar ridge only had 2 players that didn't foul out? And did cedar ridge coach get 2 T's?

Head Lion

Quote from: bdog32 on November 22, 2015, 11:39:37 am
It happened.   Cedar ridge finished the game playing 2 on 5.  I thinkthey had 9 players dressed out so the foul count was very lopsided to say the least.   I would venture to guess that cedar ridge was called for twice as many fouls including the 2 techs called on the coach as tuckerman.  And tuckerman easily shot twice as many free throws.   As a bulldog fan I am happy for the players but can't be proud of the win with officiating like this.  Especially with one of the officials being from here .  Our bulldogs are vastly improved from previous years  but they had some help here.
+1 for honesty & good luck to Tuckerman. These needs addressed, I saw our Jr boys go on the road & have same thing happen yesterday. It has become past absurd. There are good officials out there, bad thing they are doing 5A-7A games.

Longfellow

neds

Quote from: razorbackmike on November 22, 2015, 11:58:34 am

I think they are better than that even

Head Lion

Quote from: neds on November 22, 2015, 07:37:51 pm
Quote from: razorbackmike on November 22, 2015, 11:58:34 am

I think they are better than that even
Neds, give us the lowdown on Jessieville.

Greyhound24

LOL. I would just like to point out if you will go check bdog32 post history you can clearly see this is a cedar ridge fan. Don't say you are happy for your Bulldogs when when you are clearly a cedar ridge homer.

TheOfficial

Quote from: Greyhound24 on November 22, 2015, 09:45:39 pm
LOL. I would just like to point out if you will go check bdog32 post history you can clearly see this is a cedar ridge fan. Don't say you are happy for your Bulldogs when when you are clearly a cedar ridge homer.

Ha, that's hilarious!  What is wrong with people?

#EagleStrong

Just gonna throw a couple of things out there.

I can't tell you how to vote, but whoever keeps voting Cedarville in this poll should probably stop. They're very, very down this year. They will likely finish last in the weakest conference in 3A. Have some young talent in Jr. High, but their Sr. High is struggling mightily this year. They're 0-2 and lost to Waldron and a pretty weak Lincoln team. Voting hasn't closed yet, but they would currently make the Top 16, and without sounding too offensive, they shouldn't be anywhere near it.

Also, to back my own conference, some people are leaving Two Rivers and Paris out of the poll altogether. That's a major error. Those are two highly talented teams that return key cogs from state tournament teams from a year ago. Vote how you want, but I think it's crazy to leave either one of them out.

bdog32

Yes they only had 2 players.  Yes the coach got 2 techs.  And yes I enjoy watching the cedar ridge kids play.  I am a fan of good basketball.  And though they are not as good as they have been the Crabtree and reaves kids are fun to watch.  I am also glad that tuckerman is worth talking about again. They are cycling back through with some good young talent.   And I said I was happy for the bulldogs.  This is the type of win a team on the rise needs  I was just being PC and saying the refs especially the big guy helped them out a little.  Not taking away from the players because I felt both teams played hard.  Good luck to both teams going forward.

Head Lion

Quote from: #EagleStrong on November 23, 2015, 01:08:50 am
Just gonna throw a couple of things out there.

I can't tell you how to vote, but whoever keeps voting Cedarville in this poll should probably stop. They're very, very down this year. They will likely finish last in the weakest conference in 3A. Have some young talent in Jr. High, but their Sr. High is struggling mightily this year. They're 0-2 and lost to Waldron and a pretty weak Lincoln team. Voting hasn't closed yet, but they would currently make the Top 16, and without sounding too offensive, they shouldn't be anywhere near it.

Also, to back my own conference, some people are leaving Two Rivers and Paris out of the poll altogether. That's a major error. Those are two highly talented teams that return key cogs from state tournament teams from a year ago. Vote how you want, but I think it's crazy to leave either one of them out.
Thanks ES, appreciate the work you do, so we sports nerds can have a little fun.

Longfellow

This is why we can't have nice things. I bet someone got mad at me, so they start leaving TR off the poll

WPWells

I can understand Paris slightly more than TR (people see that Paris lost Fenner). I currently have TR #2 so people need to do better.

Longfellow

I've been saying, that for the time being, Paris shouldn't be very highly ranked. They still need to find their identity as a team after losing their best player. I do think they will be a very tough team come February

WPWells

Quote from: Longfellow on November 23, 2015, 08:22:35 am
I've been saying, that for the time being, Paris shouldn't be very highly ranked. They still need to find their identity as a team after losing their best player. I do think they will be a very tough team come February

I had 4 teams from the 4 ranked:

TR - 2
Charleston - 3
Paris - 8
Atkins - 15

#EagleStrong

Quote from: Longfellow on November 23, 2015, 07:44:43 am
This is why we can't have nice things. I bet someone got mad at me, so they start leaving TR off the poll

Or they're just uninformed. Could be judging from some of the head-scratch-inducing responses I've seen. Hard to say. I suppose we need to get a little more poll discussion going so people can make more informed choices.

In my opinion, the following teams, ordered by conference, at this stage, should be locks for the top 16, and people can decide where they should fall in the order:

West Fork
Marshall
Valley Springs
Cedar Ridge
Harding Academy
Manila
Charleston
Paris
Two Rivers
ECS
Jessieville
Centerpoint

That's 12 teams, so the other four are really up for debate. I think the following teams deserve to at least be in that discussion:

Greenland
Cotter
Flippin
Marianna Lee
Osceola
Rivercrest
Atkins
Booneville
Bismarck
Haskell-Harmony Grove
Prescott
Drew Central
McGehee
Smackover

If I left anyone off that list you feel is worthy of discussion, please let me know, or if you think any of those is out of bounds.

teachers pet

Mark December 7 on your calendar, Jessieville at Episcopal, should find out who the big boy in 5 3-A will be.

#EagleStrong

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 23, 2015, 08:24:20 am

TR - 2
Charleston - 3
Paris - 8
Atkins - 15

I feel like the 7-10 range is a fair place to put us. Even I put us there. Mostly for the same reason you stated. I can't in good faith put us above ECS (duh), Cedar Ridge, Jessieville, Marshall, or Valley Springs. I'm not completely sold on Harding Academy, and I'm reserving a little bit of judgment for Manila although I still have them up there. And I can't begrudge anyone for ranking Charleston or Two Rivers ahead of us. We've got a fairly interesting stretch coming up with Roland, Pea Ridge, and Ozark, so we'll see how we navigate that.

TheOfficial

Quote from: #EagleStrong on November 23, 2015, 08:30:35 am

Or they're just uninformed. Could be judging from some of the head-scratch-inducing responses I've seen. Hard to say. I suppose we need to get a little more poll discussion going so people can make more informed choices.

In my opinion, the following teams, ordered by conference, at this stage, should be locks for the top 16, and people can decide where they should fall in the order:

West Fork
Marshall
Valley Springs
Cedar Ridge
Harding Academy
Manila
Charleston
Paris
Two Rivers
ECS
Jessieville
Centerpoint

That's 12 teams, so the other four are really up for debate. I think the following teams deserve to at least be in that discussion:

Greenland
Cotter
Flippin
Marianna Lee
Osceola
Rivercrest
Atkins
Booneville
Bismarck
Haskell-Harmony Grove
Prescott
Drew Central
McGehee
Smackover

If I left anyone off that list you feel is worthy of discussion, please let me know, or if you think any of those is out of bounds.

Yellville would be the 4th team up here, not Flippin.  Flippin is very weak this year.

WPWells

Quote from: #EagleStrong on November 23, 2015, 08:37:19 am

TR - 2
Charleston - 3
Paris - 8
Atkins - 15

I feel like the 7-10 range is a fair place to put us. Even I put us there. Mostly for the same reason you stated. I can't in good faith put us above ECS (duh), Cedar Ridge, Jessieville, Marshall, or Valley Springs. I'm not completely sold on Harding Academy, and I'm reserving a little bit of judgment for Manila although I still have them up there. And I can't begrudge anyone for ranking Charleston or Two Rivers ahead of us. We've got a fairly interesting stretch coming up with Roland, Pea Ridge, and Ozark, so we'll see how we navigate that.

I'm not sold on Marshall yet, and I dropped CR due to their Tuckerman loss.

#EagleStrong

November 23, 2015, 09:11:46 am #36 Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:16:01 am by #EagleStrong
Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 23, 2015, 08:15:17 am
I can understand Paris slightly more than TR (people see that Paris lost Fenner). I currently have TR #2 so people need to do better.

Yeah people just have this misconception that Fenner was all we had last year, and, while he was certainly a big part, he was far from all we had. I know a lot of coaches gameplanned around stopping Gage Hampton who emerged as one of the best post players in the conference, second only to Andrew Smith (who honestly pretty much owned him). Our point guard is also a two-time all-conference selection, Wyatt Nehus, who could be in for a really special senior season. Beyond that they have a returning starter in Talik Robinson who is an excellent defender, and a couple of junior guards that are emerging in Tyler Atchison (currently averaging 11.5 ppg) and Race Taylor (held Jerome Luster to two field goals, recorded 11 steals against JC Westside). Past that, senior Devin Rice has started several games in his two years, Nate Davidson is one of the best athletes in the conference, and Kris Graham is a solid, well-rounded sophomore guard. Even past all those they have really nice role players like seniors Kelton Braswell and Justin Ramos. So the cupboard is far from bare, we're just not loaded like we would have been had Fenner stayed. People fall in love with the big names when considering teams, and Paris doesn't seem to have that, but they're very deep and well-rounded compared to other teams in 3A, if lacking in sheer star power. They are still finding their identity to an extent, but they have a high ceiling.

And people need to get on the Two Rivers bandwagon. They're back court is scary with Whitlow, Yates, and Brimm. All three are easily capable of going off for 20+. Cano, their post player, is scrappy and can hurt teams that focus too much on the guards. They're still looking for a fifth solid player to emerge, probably something out of a decently talented sophomore class, but they've got unparalleled guard play and are well coached.

#EagleStrong

Quote from: TheOfficial on November 23, 2015, 08:47:46 am
Quote from: #EagleStrong on November 23, 2015, 08:30:35 am

West Fork
Marshall
Valley Springs
Cedar Ridge
Harding Academy
Manila
Charleston
Paris
Two Rivers
ECS
Jessieville
Centerpoint

Greenland
Cotter
Flippin
Marianna Lee
Osceola
Rivercrest
Atkins
Booneville
Bismarck
Haskell-Harmony Grove
Prescott
Drew Central
McGehee
Smackover

Yellville would be the 4th team up here, not Flippin.  Flippin is very weak this year.

Yellville lost to Jasper and was blown out by Marshall. Flippin has rebounded somewhat, but I agree they're looking pretty weak this season. If not them, then right now I think the 1-East should only have Valley Springs, Marshall, and Cotter (yes, Cotter) in the top 16.

#EagleStrong

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on November 23, 2015, 08:48:12 am
Quote from: #EagleStrong on November 23, 2015, 08:37:19 am

TR - 2
Charleston - 3
Paris - 8
Atkins - 15

I'm not sold on Marshall yet, and I dropped CR due to their Tuckerman loss.

I'm more sold on Marshall than you are 12thMan, but not completely. And, yeah, I dropped Cedar Ridge also, but people don't seem to be paying attention to the Tuckerman loss, they're still solidly in second place in the voting right now. I think Jessieville, Two Rivers, Charleston, and Valley Springs are all more deserving of that spot for now. If they beat Manila we can reconsider that, but that's an ugly loss.

#EagleStrong

Also, is there any way we could get this stickied over the Week 1 poll? I plan to continuously update this thread as the season progresses.

pioneers

I would like to hear more about the CR loss to tuckerman. If they finished the game 2 on 5 like a poster said above and was screwed out of the win idk how much I can drop them. Playing 2 on 5 and going into overtime is pretty good to me but after speculations came up about the poster I looked at his post history also and he only post on CR post. I have a few buddies from tuckerman and I'll try to find out more about that. Also I don't think CR Is as good as advertised the only scoring threat they have is reaves and if you can somewhat slow him down and shut down Crabtree they are an average team. I'll be at the Manila game and I'll be able to give further evaluation on them after that game. Last year Austin had 24 on us in first quarter so hopefully we can slow him down more this year.

WPWells

I think that we should differentiate between finishing 2-on-5 and being screwed out of a win because those aren't the same thing

#EagleStrong

Quote from: pioneers on November 23, 2015, 10:23:43 am
I would like to hear more about the CR loss to tuckerman. If they finished the game 2 on 5 like a poster said above and was screwed out of the win idk how much I can drop them. Playing 2 on 5 and going into overtime is pretty good to me but after speculations came up about the poster I looked at his post history also and he only post on CR post. I have a few buddies from tuckerman and I'll try to find out more about that. Also I don't think CR Is as good as advertised the only scoring threat they have is reaves and if you can somewhat slow him down and shut down Crabtree they are an average team. I'll be at the Manila game and I'll be able to give further evaluation on them after that game. Last year Austin had 24 on us in first quarter so hopefully we can slow him down more this year.

Seems like it would have to be hyperbole, but I don't know. I suppose foul outs are part of the game, so you kind of have to still count it against them within reason. It's not the same as a loss with injuries or other extenuating circumstances. Our Jr. High ran into the same problem against County Line, and it still counts against us.

#EagleStrong

November 23, 2015, 10:52:41 am #43 Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 10:58:14 am by #EagleStrong
Just a little update to the polling so far: There is a three-way tie for second place right now between Cedar Ridge, Jessieville, and Valley Springs.

Also the top ten teams are pretty set. Harding Academy is at #10 currently with a huge lead over #11 Centerpoint. The Knights and West Fork then have large leads over the rest of the pack. The order of those teams is all that remains to be determined. Beyond that, the last four in currently are Flippin, Cotter, Prescott, and McGehee in that order. Bismarck and Booneville are just on the outside.

#EagleStrong

Keeping the poll open a couple more hours, then posting the results.

BigMan15

Honestly I still have #1 ECS #2 CR and that's not going to change until I see another 3A team step up. Valley and Jesseville are the only two imo that could even be in that argument.
I watched TR the other day and I'm not sold on them although at their house they could be tough. They tend to get rattled at times and worry about dunks instead of just scoring. Garret Brimm could be one of the best spot up shooters in 3A this year but can't do much off the dribble. I can't see them beating Charleston this year Ward and Fenner along with Ewing and others will be too tough for them to guard. Paris matches up better with Charleston but doesn't have that go to guy. Should make for a great season!!! Can't WAIT for conference to begin!!

#EagleStrong

Quote from: BigMan15 on November 23, 2015, 02:10:32 pm
Honestly I still have #1 ECS #2 CR and that's not going to change until I see another 3A team step up. Valley and Jesseville are the only two imo that could even be in that argument.
I watched TR the other day and I'm not sold on them although at their house they could be tough. They tend to get rattled at times and worry about dunks instead of just scoring. Garret Brimm could be one of the best spot up shooters in 3A this year but can't do much off the dribble. I can't see them beating Charleston this year Ward and Fenner along with Ewing and others will be too tough for them to guard. Paris matches up better with Charleston but doesn't have that go to guy. Should make for a great season!!! Can't WAIT for conference to begin!!

Mostly agree with you on ECS/CR, but teams did learn how to stop CR at the end of last year. A bad draw in regionals (Mayflower) after teams in their conference figured them out is what kept them out of state. Valley Springs and Jessieville are the only two you could justify putting ahead of them right now.

As far as TR, Brimm does have a pull up, but I haven't seen him get to the basket and finish. And while I question whether they can stop Charleston, I also wonder if Charleston can stop them either. That could become a shootout.

For Paris, it'll come down to whether Nehus and Hampton can step up collectively. Nehus should develop into a go-to guy, but he has to learn to be more aggressive and push the ball more. Atchison, as I said earlier, is already averaging 11.5 points per game, and he's doing that on a bum shoulder, but he's a pure spot up shooter. They look like the most consistent scorers for them so far, but we'll see if one of the football players can step up now that they're back.

#EagleStrong

Discussions for Week 2 Poll End Here

Start Discussing the Week 3 Games

Longfellow

TR hosting Magazine tonight. Gators missing a starter and a steady role player. Still not expecting a very close game

BigMan15

Charleston @ Pottsville tomorrow I believe it's been changed to a benefit game though so I expect a lot of players to play with a lot of different lineups.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas