• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

3A-4 Conference Scores and Updates

Started by #EagleStrong, November 17, 2015, 07:38:41 am

Previous topic - Next topic

#EagleStrong

Updated the boys records on the main post. Let me know if I missed anything.

Interesting games tomorrow.

Atkins at West Fork
Charleston at Lavaca
Paris vs County Line

#EagleStrong

What do we make of Lamar beating Atkins? I thought they looked good. A lot better than I thought they would.

Longfellow

I don't think we can make much of it yet. I don't think this conference will be sorted out until late January. I definitely don't think a team will run the table. I expect a lot of exciting games with single digit margins.

WPWells

#EagleStrong

Quote from: Stewie on December 10, 2015, 06:34:43 pm
Charleston will run the table

IF any team runs the table, it will be Charleston, but I don't think they get through unscathed. Last year's team was very good, and even though they managed to sweep Paris, they still lost twice.

#EagleStrong

Quote from: Longfellow on December 10, 2015, 06:32:14 pm
I don't think we can make much of it yet. I don't think this conference will be sorted out until late January. I definitely don't think a team will run the table. I expect a lot of exciting games with single digit margins.

I think they're going to give both if our teams fits. You might struggle with Kern, and we'll struggle with Lee. I'm very interested in Saturday's game vs Charleston. I figure the Tigers will win comfortably, but not in a complete blowout.

Longfellow

Quote from: #EagleStrong on December 10, 2015, 08:01:58 pm

I think they're going to give both if our teams fits. You might struggle with Kern, and we'll struggle with Lee. I'm very interested in Saturday's game vs Charleston. I figure the Tigers will win comfortably, but not in a complete blowout.
I think they will stick with Charleston. Not predicting a win, but interesting game. This game will tell us a lot about Lamar and the conference as a whole

1-Adam-12

Booneville boys beat Acorn 67-60.
Booneville girls lose a close one to Acorn 56-49.

Longfellow

Quote from: 1-Adam-12 on December 10, 2015, 10:59:57 pm
What's Booneville's record now?

#EagleStrong

Quote from: Longfellow on December 11, 2015, 09:17:12 am

I have them at 6-4, unless I missed a game.

The Dynasty

What happened in the TR/Acorn game? As well as the Dardanelle/TR game? Is TR missing coach Harrison?

Longfellow

Quote from: The Dynasty on December 11, 2015, 10:53:49 am

What happened in the TR/Acorn game? As well as the Dardanelle/TR game? Is TR missing coach Harrison?
I don't think it's coaching that's the problem. Since most of the guys came over from football, they're still learning a lot of Williams' playbook. And we really aren't playing to full potential right now. We'll get there before too long.

#EagleStrong

Can't speak to the Acorn game, but against Dardanelle, it was TR's first game out of football with very limited practice. Whitlow played poorly and Luster had a big night for Dardanelle. TR will be fine. Their backcourt is stacked.

The Dynasty

Quote from: Longfellow on December 11, 2015, 11:04:47 am

I don't think it's coaching that's the problem. Since most of the guys came over from football, they're still learning a lot of Williams' playbook. And we really aren't playing to full potential right now. We'll get there before too long.

It takes awhile to adjust from the gridiron to the court for sure.

General Lee Speaking

Quote from: #EagleStrong on December 11, 2015, 11:08:59 am

Can't speak to the Acorn game, but against Dardanelle, it was TR's first game out of football with very limited practice. Whitlow played poorly and Luster had a big night for Dardanelle. TR will be fine. Their backcourt is stacked.
The thing with Whitlow is that he could dramatically effect the outcome of every game even if he never took a shot. He rebounds, defends, and facilitates at a very high level. Yates and Brimm may be doing the scoring, but this team runs through Whitlow

1-Adam-12

December 11, 2015, 12:09:07 pm #115 Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 12:12:16 pm by 1-Adam-12
Quote from: #EagleStrong on December 11, 2015, 09:31:59 am

I have them at 6-4, unless I missed a game.

That is correct. And the 4 losses were by a total of 21 points.

Girls are 5-5.

General Lee Speaking

Thoughts on the West Fork/Atkins game? I haven't seen either team since last year, so I don't know much

#EagleStrong

Quote from: General Lee Speaking on December 11, 2015, 03:37:14 pm
Thoughts on the West Fork/Atkins game? I haven't seen either team since last year, so I don't know much

Atkins is much better than last year, but I think WF wins. Roebke will be too much inside. Vaughn may give him problems too, but I think the Tigers out rebound Atkins and pull out a win.

BigMan15

Longfellow

Interesting matchups. I'll take West Fork by 6

General Lee Speaking

Quote from: Longfellow on December 11, 2015, 05:05:44 pm
Any word on the Gators over there in Mississippi?

Longfellow

Quote from: General Lee Speaking on December 11, 2015, 06:13:30 pm
Quote from: Longfellow on December 11, 2015, 05:05:44 pm
Any word on the Gators over there in Mississippi?
Lady Gators over Madison-Ridgeland Academy 40-37. Boys play Madison-Ridgleand at 7

Longfellow

I was looking around, and Madison-Ridgeland is not listed in any rankings. Still big win for us. Girls now 10-0. We have Oxford High School tomorrow

Black and Gold

Longfellow

Quote from: Black and Gold on December 11, 2015, 07:02:12 pm
Who will pay for the plane tickets?
It's only 4.5 hours to Oxford. I'm thinking of making the trip in the morning

Black and Gold

I feel like that joke flew over your head ✈

Longfellow

Quote from: Black and Gold on December 11, 2015, 07:27:42 pm
I feel like that joke flew over your head ✈
I guess so. Anyway, Madison-Ridgeland boys over Two Rivers by 9. They have a player committed to Ole Miss. Good team from what I'm told

WPWells

Longfellow

Ahhh. That's funny, considering that I went there when I was a kid

#EagleStrong

December 11, 2015, 08:49:41 pm #129 Last Edit: December 11, 2015, 09:32:44 pm by #EagleStrong
Paris beat County Line 55-47. Race Taylor led all scorers with 18 points.

#EagleStrong

1-Adam-12

West Fork wins 68-66 on tip in at buzzer per Twitter.

Longfellow

Lady Gators fall 54-53. Very good showing against Oxford.

After the first quarter

Oxford boys 15
Gators 12

WPWells

How big are some of these schools? I figure Oxford is pretty good-sized

xadboy

Quote from: Longfellow on December 10, 2015, 08:19:22 pm
Quote from: #EagleStrong on December 10, 2015, 08:01:58 pm

I think they will stick with Charleston. Not predicting a win, but interesting game. This game will tell us a lot about Lamar and the conference as a whole
The boys that came over from football are still getting their basketball feet under them. Think this game will be very competitive. This is a rival game so who knows. Could very well indicate how conference plays out. Lamar is going to be better than people think. Especially once they get a few more games under them. Kern is going to be a beast down low. If Lee can get his turnovers under control then he is going to be hard to handle. Brown and Warren are very good shooters, can't leave them open. Grace has a lot to prove with his attitude and desire. Grace could be a very big contributer. Overall I think Lamar will be in the battle for the conference title.

Longfellow

Quote from: Stewie on December 12, 2015, 03:04:37 pm
Madison-Ridgeland is a private school with 1000 kids, per Wikipedia. Mississippi classification numbers have Oxford at 877, grades 9-12.

#EagleStrong

Boys records are updated.

Approaching the start of conference play, six of the seven teams have records above .500 and three teams have only two losses. There will be two really good teams get left out of regionals. I firmly believe that this is the toughest conference in 3A this year.

General Lee Speaking

Quote from: Longfellow on December 12, 2015, 03:46:14 pm
Quote from: Stewie on December 12, 2015, 03:04:37 pm
Madison-Ridgeland is a private school with 1000 kids, per Wikipedia. Mississippi classification numbers have Oxford at 877, grades 9-12.
Any more score updates?

hogsnout

Does the loss for TR girls count on there record since its out of state.

WPWells

Longfellow

Gators lose 69-67 in double overtime. Next up, Atkins on Tuesday. Can anyone give me some insight on Atkins' girls?

#EagleStrong

Quote from: Longfellow on December 12, 2015, 04:45:03 pm
Gators lose 69-67 in double overtime. Next up, Atkins on Tuesday. Can anyone give me some insight on Atkins' girls?

How do you barely beat Acorn and then turn around and have that good of a showing in MS? TR is going to be really interesting to watch in conference play.

#EagleStrong

Atkins leads Lincoln 16-12 after the first quarter.

#EagleStrong

Longfellow

Quote from: #EagleStrong on December 12, 2015, 05:13:25 pm
Quote from: Longfellow on December 12, 2015, 04:45:03 pm

How do you barely beat Acorn and then turn around and have that good of a showing in MS? TR is going to be really interesting to watch in conference play.
A lot of it is mental. These boys have always been this way. They play up or down to the level of their competition. You can look at last year. Two very close games with Atkins. Three losses against Paris. Then in regionals and state, wins over Paris, West Fork, and Benton Harmony Grove, all of whom were favored. If they can get there mentally, they will be nearly impossible to beat in 3A.

hogsnout

Longfellow

Atkins at TR tonight beginning at 5:30. First conference game after a good showing against the biggest private school in Mississippi. I'm excited for this matchup. I don't know about Atkins girls, so I can't say much for that game. I do expect our girls to start off conference play with a big win at home.

1-Adam-12

Lamar is at Booneville. I expect a good, close game in both boys and girls.

General Lee Speaking

Quote from: Longfellow on December 15, 2015, 08:14:18 am
Atkins at TR tonight beginning at 5:30. First conference game after a good showing against the biggest private school in Mississippi. I'm excited for this matchup. I don't know about Atkins girls, so I can't say much for that game. I do expect our girls to start off conference play with a big win at home.
I definitely think the girls run away with it. Unless Atkins had some hidden talent

#EagleStrong

Two big ones on Friday:

Atkins at Paris
Lamar at Charleston

Booneville also travels to winless Danville as the Bearcats seek their first conference win, and the Little Johns look to get on the winning track.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas