• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reclassification

Started by #EagleStrong, May 27, 2015, 10:13:15 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bobcats

My issue with all of this is you have a conference with one group of teams, then the coaches for a different group of teams get in a room and vote for seeding for a district tournament for teams they have not played and most likely have not seen play.  Keep in mind this was approved by a group of men and women in charge of educating our children.  No wonder the public education system is joke.  Our schools are run by a bunch of useless idiots!

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bobcats on August 24, 2015, 03:48:20 pm
My issue with all of this is you have a conference with one group of teams, then the coaches for a different group of teams get in a room and vote for seeding for a district tournament for teams they have not played and most likely have not seen play.  Keep in mind this was approved by a group of men and women in charge of educating our children.  No wonder the public education system is joke.  Our schools are run by a bunch of useless idiots!

Have you looked at the conferences?

RedWolf275

Will there actually be conference championships awarded?

bobcats

Quote from: HF on August 24, 2015, 04:05:42 pm
Quote from: bobcats on August 24, 2015, 03:48:20 pm

Have you looked at the conferences?

Yes.  Up here we have 3 leaving the conference and 2 4A joining.  Then we have a district tournament without the 4A schools but with the 3 that left.  Those 3 unless you schedule a non conference game will not have played any of the other teams in conference.  You better be a good politician to get a good seed.

bobcats

Quote from: RedWolf275 on August 24, 2015, 04:14:01 pm

Why would there be?  The conference games will not determine seeding since not all district teams are in conference.  There will be a lot of back room deals made to determine seeding.

Basketballfan13

Quote from: bobcats on August 24, 2015, 04:26:34 pm
Quote from: RedWolf275 on August 24, 2015, 04:14:01 pm

Why would there be?  The conference games will not determine seeding since not all district teams are in conference.  There will be a lot of back room deals made to determine seeding.
Yes there will actually be a conference champion just like there is in regular season conference play in the past. Only thing I'm not sure is who will be responsible for purchasing the trophy if you choose to present one. Being the conference champion does not help you for seeding into district tournament except for the fact that it probably means that you have also beat a lot of the teams that are also in your district.

RedWolf275

It will be hard for most of the smaller class teams to compete against bigger schools for conference champs. An example is Riverside and Brookland. Brookland has over two and a half times the students. That will be hard to overcome year in and year out.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RedWolf275 on August 24, 2015, 06:47:44 pm

It will be hard for most of the smaller class teams to compete against bigger schools for conference champs. An example is Riverside and Brookland. Brookland has over two and a half times the students. That will be hard to overcome year in and year out.

7a calls that a conference game

Head Lion

Quote from: HF on August 24, 2015, 08:05:41 pm
Quote from: RedWolf275 on August 24, 2015, 06:47:44 pm

HF, comparing apples to oranges.

7a calls that a conference game

RedWolf275

I was mainly talking about 1A thru 4A in my above post. My personal opinion is that it was insane to bother those classifications. After seeing the new "combined conferences", I feel even stronger about that. After seeing this mess, I think just doing away with conferences and letting everybody just fill their own schedule however they want too would be better. Then have a district tourney at the end. That way if a smaller school wants to tackle bigger ones they can go for it.

Moonshiner

There are several schools, whether class 1 A or 3A that are in financial distress.  When you look at schools like Lead Hill and Yellville they simply can't afford more travel.  This process was supposed to make travel better, not worse. 

ab24

The reclassification was done to help schools like Mt Home, and Mt Home still has to travel to Searcy Beebe and Vilonia.    There are some smaller schools that have 0 teams that will be in their district tournament in their "conference".  Its gonna be a dog fight when it comes to seeding tournaments

bobcats

Quote from: Moonshiner on August 25, 2015, 08:54:26 am
There are several schools, whether class 1 A or 3A that are in financial distress.  When you look at schools like Lead Hill and Yellville they simply can't afford more travel.  This process was supposed to make travel better, not worse.

Let's see, Marshall trades Clinton which is 30 minutes away for Huntsville which is an hour and a half. I guess Huntsville is closer using common core math but not in the real world.  Let's be honest here, this really has nothing to do with the small schools, the powers that be would prefer to consolidate them anyway.  This is really about Mountain Home and their travel issues.

Head Lion

Being a school board member, if they are in financial distress. They probably shouldn't be worrying a lot about athletics, anyway. JMO

Moonshiner

Quote from: Head Lion on August 25, 2015, 11:05:30 am
Being a school board member, if they are in financial distress. They probably shouldn't be worrying a lot about athletics, anyway. JMO

They'd better be worrying about athletics.  If they are going to declare for sports and travel to away games.  Their travel costs will increase dramatically.  Not only that there will be revenue loss at their home games when fans won't want to drive 2 hours to watch them play a conference game.
Assuming you mean they have bigger problems but athletics is a vital part of the identity of the school and community.

ballmember

I dont think travel is what got these schools in financial / fiscal distress.   Might be declining enrollment; building a new gym; or even could be a board and superintendent making poor financial decisions.  We can always blame something else to cover what the actual problem is.   basketball conferences/ districts for small schools are not the problem.   

Moonshiner

Quote from: ballmember on August 25, 2015, 12:18:02 pm
I dont think travel is what got these schools in financial / fiscal distress.   Might be declining enrollment; building a new gym; or even could be a board and superintendent making poor financial decisions.  We can always blame something else to cover what the actual problem is.   basketball conferences/ districts for small schools are not the problem.

What I'm saying is that these schools are already broke.  Having more miles added on by the AAA isn't helping their situation.

Missco

Like it or not, the new classification deal actually cuts down on travel as a whole across the state.

Moonshiner

Quote from: Missco on August 25, 2015, 06:01:49 pm
Like it or not, the new classification deal actually cuts down on travel as a whole across the state.

How do you figure that?

ballmember

for most schools, i think they matched the 1a and 2a schools in their area.   example:  flippin; cotter and salem now in with viola; icc; norfork, calico rockand ....

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ballmember on August 25, 2015, 07:19:06 pm
for most schools, i think they matched the 1a and 2a schools in their area.   example:  flippin; cotter and salem now in with viola; icc; norfork, calico rockand ....

The aaa could pay for charter buses for every school and people would still be upset.....Guess they forget the schools approve these ideas

RedWolf275

That doesn't mean everybody has got to like it. I personally think that by the end of the 2016-2017 year, there will more complaining than what is going on now. Wait til the seeding process plays out. That is a poorly thought out process in my opinion.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: RedWolf275 on August 25, 2015, 07:48:19 pm
That doesn't mean everybody has got to like it. I personally think that by the end of the 2016-2017 year, there will more complaining than what is going on now. Wait til the seeding process plays out. That is a poorly thought out process in my opinion.

That's what I think will mess this all up...someone like bay that nobody likes it's gonna get shafted by the good ole boy system

ab24

I give this 2 cycles before they do away with it. Look at WCC, they have no teams in their conference that are in their district. So then they go seed the district tournament and coaches vote on seeding. No way will that be fair. For one thing the good ole boy system will keep the seeding from being fair and on the other hand you will be seeding based on some of the teams not playing each other, how is that fair if 2 or 3 teams have same record vs a different group of teams and maybe never playing each other?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: ab24 on August 25, 2015, 08:56:25 pm
I give this 2 cycles before they do away with it. Look at WCC, they have no teams in their conference that are in their district. So then they go seed the district tournament and coaches vote on seeding. No way will that be fair. For one thing the good ole boy system will keep the seeding from being fair and on the other hand you will be seeding based on some of the teams not playing each other, how is that fair if 2 or 3 teams have same record vs a different group of teams and maybe never playing each other?

I've got it, you get your name in the squirrel cage, 1 time for each win you have(minimum 3 entries)....we draw for seeding

ab24

Quote from: HF on August 25, 2015, 08:59:54 pm
Quote from: ab24 on August 25, 2015, 08:56:25 pm

I've got it, you get your name in the squirrel cage, 1 time for each win you have(minimum 3 entries)....we draw for seeding

That would probably be more fair than the way some of the seedlings will work out!!

Head Lion

No, I have it figured it out. Go to local circuit court and get an injuction & hold up all the tournaments, until the AAA comes up with a fair & non-discriminate process for post season. Talking of good ole boy system, I know a few judges that I believe would see it my way, if you catch my drift.

ballmember

Really, i do not think anyone cares what some ball fans think;  especially those of us that like basketball in the smaller classifications.   If it aint a big boy idea than it dont count.  just dont pee off Little Rock or Northwest Arkansas.   and then all the small schools will pay.   I think they like it that some are upset.   Maybe the small schools will just go away and they can be lumped together like that wonderful school system they have in central arkansas.     I am going to enjoy small town basketball while i can.   

Moonshiner

Quote from: HF on August 25, 2015, 07:38:20 pm

The aaa could pay for charter buses for every school and people would still be upset.....Guess they forget the schools approve these ideas

The schools approved putting 1A and 2A together for" districts".  There are several schools that won't play an opponent 30 minutes away that was a former conference opponent,  and will pick up someone 2 hours away.  For what benefit?

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Moonshiner on August 25, 2015, 10:17:03 pm
Quote from: HF on August 25, 2015, 07:38:20 pm

The schools approved putting 1A and 2A together for" districts".  There are several schools that won't play an opponent 30 minutes away that was a former conference opponent,  and will pick up someone 2 hours away.  For what benefit?

Who it's doing that?

The only ones that look out of place to me just reading through the conferences are Clinton, omaha, and camden harmony grove....Who am I missing?

Lead hill is way out of place in their post season district assignment but they chose to withdraw their appeal.

Moonshiner

August 25, 2015, 10:34:51 pm #80 Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 10:36:23 pm by Moonshiner
Would you be ok with Hector having to double their travel?
Lead Hill was told to remove their appeal by the AAA

HorseFeathers

Quote from: Moonshiner on August 25, 2015, 10:34:51 pm
Would you be ok with Hector having to double their travel?
Lead Hill was told to remove their appeal by the AAA

I trust the administration at hector to do what's best for them. And you still haven't havent named a specific school who's travel doubled...

HorseFeathers

And double? We have a mainly 1a conference we could be in with Wonderview in our backyard, instead we are with danvilke, magazine, oark, and Scranton etc....

In the last 15 years our confereces have ranged from decatur on the north west, Marshall in the nirtheast, england to the southeast, hot springs in the south west, hazen in the east, and hartford to the west....we've always dealt with travel. Ill put a paper and pen to it this week, and find your unicorn that doubled mileage though..

RedWolf275

HF, I feel pretty sure Corning and Piggott have increased travel substantially but not double. Be interesting to get a figure on it.

Moonshiner

Quote from: HF on August 26, 2015, 07:00:18 am
And double? We have a mainly 1a conference we could be in with Wonderview in our backyard, instead we are with danvilke, magazine, oark, and Scranton etc....

In the last 15 years our confereces have ranged from decatur on the north west, Marshall in the nirtheast, england to the southeast, hot springs in the south west, hazen in the east, and hartford to the west....we've always dealt with travel. Ill put a paper and pen to it this week, and find your unicorn that doubled mileage though..

You mentioned Omaha yourself.  They traded Lead Hill and  Western Grove for Decatur and  Haas Hall.  Lead Hill is 30 minutes from Omaha.  Decatur is well over 2 hours.  Haas Hall in Bentonville isl over 2 hours.  Does that make sense to you?  Jasper is 30 minutes closer to  Kingston than Omaha, but Jasper is not in that league.
I'm just saying this didn't do what it was designed to do for all.

bobcats

August 26, 2015, 09:22:37 am #85 Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:13:54 am by bobcats
Quote from: RedWolf275 on August 26, 2015, 07:18:22 am
HF, I feel pretty sure Corning and Piggott have increased travel substantially but not double. Be interesting to get a figure on it.

Take a look at the map on the AAA website.  Check out the 2 1/2 hour bus ride from Melbourne and Cave City to Piggott.  Melbourne, Cave City, Mtn View, South Side Batesville and Cedar Ridge are all within 45 miles of each other  but the AAA thinks they should go the 2 hours plus to Piggott and Corning.  Genius!!!

TheOfficial

I see the 2016-18 classifications and conferences.  But where are you guys seeing the 1A/2A, 3A/4A districts, etc?

bobcats

Quote from: TheOfficial on August 26, 2015, 10:08:18 am
I see the 2016-18 classifications and conferences.  But where are you guys seeing the 1A/2A, 3A/4A districts, etc?

Go to schools at the top, then classes and conferences on the left and that will take you to the 2016-2018 combined classifications and conferences link.

Head Lion

Quote from: ballmember on August 25, 2015, 09:40:56 pm
Really, i do not think anyone cares what some ball fans think;  especially those of us that like basketball in the smaller classifications.   If it aint a big boy idea than it dont count.  just dont pee off Little Rock or Northwest Arkansas.   and then all the small schools will pay.   I think they like it that some are upset.   Maybe the small schools will just go away and they can be lumped together like that wonderful school system they have in central arkansas.     I am going to enjoy small town basketball while i can.
+1

Head Lion

Quote from: bobcats on August 26, 2015, 09:22:37 am

Take a look at the map on the AAA website.  Check out the 2 1/2 hour bus ride from Melbourne and Cave City to Piggott.  Melbourne, Cave City, Mtn View, South Side Batesville and Cedar Ridge are all within 45 miles of each other  but the AAA thinks they should go the 2 hours plus to Piggott and Corning.  Genius!!!
+1

Head Lion

Quote from: RedWolf275 on August 25, 2015, 07:31:56 am
I was mainly talking about 1A thru 4A in my above post. My personal opinion is that it was insane to bother those classifications. After seeing the new "combined conferences", I feel even stronger about that. After seeing this mess, I think just doing away with conferences and letting everybody just fill their own schedule however they want too would be better. Then have a district tourney at the end. That way if a smaller school wants to tackle bigger ones they can go for it.
+1

Head Lion

+1

TheOfficial

Quote from: bobcats on August 26, 2015, 10:17:38 am
Quote from: TheOfficial on August 26, 2015, 10:08:18 am

Go to schools at the top, then classes and conferences on the left and that will take you to the 2016-2018 combined classifications and conferences link.

Thanks

HorseFeathers

So out of 200-teams you wanna scrap the system for less than 10 teams?

bobcats

Quote from: HF on August 26, 2015, 12:05:25 pm

The old system was scrapped for 1 team.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: bobcats on August 26, 2015, 12:25:37 pm
Quote from: HF on August 26, 2015, 12:05:25 pm

The old system was scrapped for 1 team.

And without doing any research I know it helps that team, most of the 6a schools, keeps the 1a-5 from driving to marvel for district games, and fouke/genoa central...

RedWolf275

And makes Corning and Piggott drive to Highland, Cave City and Melbourne instead of Manila or Riverside.

pioneers

The system wasn't broke in 1a-4a classifications if it's not broke don't try and fix it. The biggest concern I have with it is that some classifications have better teams than others so if team a had a 10-1 conference record but plays weaker teams and team b is 8-3 or 9-2 and plays tougher teams then team a will believe they should get higher seed due to better record. The seedings will be iffy because of no head to head play with teams that will be in your district tournament.

HorseFeathers

Quote from: pioneers on August 26, 2015, 04:02:37 pm
The system wasn't broke in 1a-4a classifications if it's not broke don't try and fix it. The biggest concern I have with it is that some classifications have better teams than others so if team a had a 10-1 conference record but plays weaker teams and team b is 8-3 or 9-2 and plays tougher teams then team a will believe they should get higher seed due to better record. The seedings will be iffy because of no head to head play with teams that will be in your district tournament.

I'm thinking a lot of these schools will end up playing part of the schools in their post season district

Moonshiner

HF, help me understand why you are defending this so adamantly.  Mtn. Home has been pushing this agenda for several years, and it was ignored.  The newly appointed education commissioner comes on board. And suddenly we revamp everything.  Maybe it's coincidental that he's from Mtn. Home.  I highly doubt the AAA would want to work closely with such an important figure.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas