• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas Basketball 2017-2018

Started by BannerMountainMan, September 27, 2017, 11:35:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bdubyab60

I mean if I wanted to watch one on one street ball the park ain't far away

AirWarren

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 06, 2018, 07:20:01 pm
I mean if I wanted to watch one on one street ball the park ain't far away

Gonna have to stiffen up.

Trojanbird

Like I said earlier in the thread, it all comes down to discipline and coaching!  Both of which we are lacking

bdubyab60

Down 24 in a game we are supposed to have an 82% chance to win

Ctucker

bdubyab60

SEC guys straight up clowning on us just like they did the football team. I was worried about this once we got ranked. Looks like this team has lost its will to win. Really looks like this is going to snowball on us. If this continues the rest of the season it will be time to start having hot seat discussions.

Decent class coming in but really looks like MA isn't getting it done in the gym. Plus we will be super young next year.

Need a good half here

bdubyab60

cuckoobird

I'm wondering if wells still thinks they deserve respect and have a chip on their shoulders?

bdubyab60

Truthfully the way they are playing NIT would be the best they can do. Started off the season good but things can turn quick and these last 4 games we have been exposed as a straight up fraud. Fooled me and I tried to be cautiously optimistic.

We stayed close to TN and pulled that out with one good run. These last 3 games have been disasters.

And these games come down to this. This team looks poorly prepared plain and simple. Going on 7 years now. No structure to an offense what so ever. This press we run is a hendrance not a help. I'm tired of hearing about system. You need to play BASKETBALL. The game is different now you don't wear teams down anymore.

Hope we turn this around but this doesn't look good at all. The SEC isn't as weak as it used to be.

beach bum

Quote from: cuckoobird on January 10, 2018, 09:35:02 pm
I'm wondering if wells still thinks they deserve respect and have a chip on their shoulders?

I think we are about to find out how much basketball really means to these guys in the coming month and a half. If this group doesn't have character and resiliency and basketball is not a deep down passion then they are staring at a 5 win SEC season and the bottom 3 of the conference the way they are playing. I am glad I am getting $10 tickets to these games cause I sadly had to watch that performance in person tonight and feel sorry for the people paying full price to watch that lack of effort. If they don't sort it out they won't even be an NIT team let alone NCAA tournament. You know its all heart and effort when its the same guys that spanked UCONN and gave Oklahoma its only loss. Amazing how bad a team can get when its not right between their ears and no heart in it. That is the only explanation and I saw it in person tonight the lack of desire was obvious.

bdubyab60

Uconn isn't the Uconn we all remember. They have actually been pretty mediocre since Olie took over. Yeah I know he got a NC. However that team wasn't getting in the tournament until they win the conference tourney and Kenna Walker went on one of the most historic runs there has ever been.

For sure we have some good wins. But these last 4 games are concerning at the least. Sure we can turn it around but this isn't like dropping one head scratcher.

If this continues MA should be on the hot seat. We are 7 years in. We are watching programs get turned around in just a couple seasons all over the place. Those same schools have better recruiting classes coming in than we do. Yeah we have decent class, ranked 24th coming in I believe, but it's mainly because we have 6 players coming in. Plus this makes us super young next year while everyone else will have experienced teams for the most part.

Hope MA straightens this out but listening to that dead huddle talk during the mic'd up stuff was painful. He didn't make me won't to get out there and hustle. Listen to the other coaches when a game is going on.

beach bum

January 11, 2018, 02:30:15 pm #161 Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 02:31:56 pm by beach bum
Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 11, 2018, 12:34:24 pm
Uconn isn't the Uconn we all remember. They have actually been pretty mediocre since Olie took over. Yeah I know he got a NC. However that team wasn't getting in the tournament until they win the conference tourney and Kenna Walker went on one of the most historic runs there has ever been.

For sure we have some good wins. But these last 4 games are concerning at the least. Sure we can turn it around but this isn't like dropping one head scratcher.

If this continues MA should be on the hot seat. We are 7 years in. We are watching programs get turned around in just a couple seasons all over the place. Those same schools have better recruiting classes coming in than we do. Yeah we have decent class, ranked 24th coming in I believe, but it's mainly because we have 6 players coming in. Plus this makes us super young next year while everyone else will have experienced teams for the most part.

Hope MA straightens this out but listening to that dead huddle talk during the mic'd up stuff was painful. He didn't make me won't to get out there and hustle. Listen to the other coaches when a game is going on.

You brought up a very good point in the fact that we aren't going to be a very good team next year plain and simple cause our back court is going to be all young players with the SEC not going anywhere for a while as a conference. And I also think all the Gafford to the NBA talk has stopped finally cause that is not happening at all. I've always been an MA guy, but when are we ever going to sustain some decent seasons in a row. I think we are all realist and realize the final 4's aren't coming, but we expect the NCAA tournament every 4 out of 5 years imo with a decent run in one of those to the second weekend. I think that's reasonable for our program.

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on January 11, 2018, 02:30:15 pm
You brought up a very good point in the fact that we aren't going to be a very good team next year plain and simple cause our back court is going to be all young players with the SEC not going anywhere for a while as a conference. And I also think all the Gafford to the NBA talk has stopped finally cause that is not happening at all. I've always been an MA guy, but when are we ever going to sustain some decent seasons in a row. I think we are all realist and realize the final 4's aren't coming, but we expect the NCAA tournament every 4 out of 5 years imo with a decent run in one of those to the second weekend. I think that's reasonable for our program.
Im with you. And there is enough talent in this state to do it as well. Another thing that is a concern is that MAs best recruits have all had connections or they are born Hogs. He hasn't stolen one big time recruit, only a couple homegrown stars.

Gafford has taken a few steps back since we have hit conference play. He for sure has to be able to do more than dunk. I also think the way he is being used in defense is hurting us badly. There is absolutely no reason for him to be 30 feet from the basket guarding a guard. He does have potential but can MA develop that potential.

Right now at this moment though it doesn't look like those expectations are going to be met. This SYSTEM has been figured out, especially by conference teams.

This gets no easier this weekend and another team that is fully capable of beating us.

WPWells

No cuckoo, I don't think that, and anyone with half a brain wouldn't think that either.

sportsguy80

It's amazing how some people have already given up on our season. Yes, we are playing terrible and concerns are definitely justified. I don't think the season is over due to the chance of going on a winning streak which we are capable of doing. Like I commented earlier, Coach A needs to make some serious adjustments and everyone needs to step up.

beach bum

January 12, 2018, 09:21:04 am #165 Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:23:43 am by beach bum
Quote from: sportsguy80 on January 12, 2018, 08:49:45 am
It's amazing how some people have already given up on our season. Yes, we are playing terrible and concerns are definitely justified. I don't think the season is over due to the chance of going on a winning streak which we are capable of doing. Like I commented earlier, Coach A needs to make some serious adjustments and everyone needs to step up.

If this isn't something deep for these guys it is already over. The SEC is just way too good for us to rip off 5 out of 6 wins down the stretch to save our behind. I am just looking at the reality of the conference right now. If we drop to let's say 2-4 in conference we would have to finish 8-4 down the stretch to salvage a winning conference season. Good luck with that. This is proving how much the mental part of a game plays in when teams are very even and it shows what teams want it and which ones don't and we don't have that. These guys are acting like they have checked out already mentally.

bdubyab60

Fully aware there is a lot of season left. We will see Saturday if anything MA has said has gotten through to these guys.

I want us to win, it's a game we should win. But then again we were an 82% favorite the other night.

It's time to get the ship righted

beach bum

I am pretty comfortable saying if we don't win 3 of our next 4 conference games to get to 4-4 then we are done and put a fork in us. The schedule only gets harder down the stretch. The OK State game is massive in the sense that it may allow us to go a mediocre 9-9 in conference and still make the tourney because the SEC rpi ratings. If we lose to OK State it will take a 10-8 record at least to make the tourney and again good luck with that after this slow start. That's bad when my highest expectation now is get to 9-9 in SEC with a win over OK State then just scrape in the tourney as an 11 seed or something. That's really about as good as it potentially can get. If they don't have anything else to prove we won't even come close to that.

bleudog

A picture is worth a thousand words:  CLICK HERE

bdubyab60

A little better start this time anyways

bleudog

bdubyab60

Amazing what happens when u play defense

bdubyab60

Pulled that one out but the weaknesses of this team continue to show big time. Our senior guards selfishness is hurting us bad.

I'll take the W though

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 13, 2018, 07:17:03 pm
Pulled that one out but the weaknesses of this team continue to show big time. Our senior guards selfishness is hurting us bad.

I'll take the W though

Exactly how I feel about our guards. Have you noticed the 2 conference wins we have Gafford's physical presence down the stretch has tipped us over the edge for the win. Just imagine if we would have fed him the ball against Miss State too. We would be 3-2 instead in SEC play. It's amazing how much better our defense looks when we get Gafford the ball too instead of chasing the other team in transition after bad shots by our guards like you said. And same, I'll take the win. We have to find a way to get 2 of the next 3 games to get back to .500 though.

bdubyab60

Gafford was guarded on our final possession by a player he clearly had a size advantage and position on. Macon looks right at him. Doesn't give him the ball and forces up a horrible short. Barford, Beard and Macon seem to want to be heroes instead of making the correct play. Barford made some of the most forced and horrible drives I've ever seen. Moves I'd expect from a high schooler. MA needs to nip that in the butt now.

The bad
Free throw shooting is atrocious. All the stuff mentioned above. Still stand around for huge portions of the game on offense and defense.

The good
It was a win. Hopefully working the ball inside out catches on. The offense runs better that way.

Confidence level
Still low. Don't see us going in and beating UF. Not unless we get the effort that built an 18 point lead and helped us come back and win. Need that for a full game

beach bum

Better find a way to win the next 2 games or season is a wash and then we can sell some NIT tickets  :-X

Trojanbird

Why should we be hoping for the NIT?  MA has been here long enough to do better than this!

beach bum

Quote from: Trojanbird on January 17, 2018, 09:22:32 pm
Why should we be hoping for the NIT?  MA has been here long enough to do better than this!

No one thinks we should be happy as an NIT team....My expectation going into this season was to get a 3, 4 or 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. We will be lucky to be one of the last 5 or 6 teams in at this point and that is if we start pulling wins out of thin air. I think we are all watching players who for some reason aren't playing at the same level as last year from a straight intensity stand point. You can see the lack of competitive nature on them and we are headed for the NIT at this rate. For some reason the RPI still loves us even as we continue to lose and so does Lunardi who barely ever misses more than 1 team the NCAA selects. He had us as a 7 seed even after the LSU loss and this Florida loss will probably only drop us to a 9 seed. I already can see it now that we end up with like an 8-10 SEC record and 13 losses overall after the SEC tournament and we still end up an 11 or 12 seed because of the high RPI rating. I absolutely do not want to see us make the NCAA tournament without a winning conference record. That is even more embarrassing because we will a joke even more if that happened.

bdubyab60

Quote from: beach bum on January 17, 2018, 09:43:40 pm
No one thinks we should be happy as an NIT team....My expectation going into this season was to get a 3, 4 or 5 seed in the NCAA tournament. We will be lucky to be one of the last 5 or 6 teams in at this point and that is if we start pulling wins out of thin air. I think we are all watching players who for some reason aren't playing at the same level as last year from a straight intensity stand point. You can see the lack of competitive nature on them and we are headed for the NIT at this rate. For some reason the RPI still loves us even as we continue to lose and so does Lunardi who barely ever misses more than 1 team the NCAA selects. He had us as a 7 seed even after the LSU loss and this Florida loss will probably only drop us to a 9 seed. I already can see it now that we end up with like an 8-10 SEC record and 13 losses overall after the SEC tournament and we still end up an 11 or 12 seed because of the high RPI rating. I absolutely do not want to see us make the NCAA tournament without a winning conference record. That is even more embarrassing because we will a joke even more if that happened.
I believe you are correct. This is what it isn't good to barely get in. Because this team should be a solid tourney team, talent is there bottom line. We barely get in it just gives ammunition to keep saying hey we made the tourney. Then this starts back where it was 7 years ago.

By the way another Arkansas kid torches us.

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 17, 2018, 10:49:54 pm
I believe you are correct. This is what it isn't good to barely get in. Because this team should be a solid tourney team, talent is there bottom line. We barely get in it just gives ammunition to keep saying hey we made the tourney. Then this starts back where it was 7 years ago.

By the way another Arkansas kid torches us.

Kevaughn Allen is the perfect college type player Arkansas could have used. If he was taller NBA teams would be drooling over him and he would have left earlier even. I want players just like that. Great players that have some deficiency like size or whatever that will keep them around the program 3 or 4 years and pan out to be great college players. Just look how well he takes care of his body too. He would have been a beast even more in a high tempo pace how good of shape he is in.

bleudog

Quote from: beach bum on January 18, 2018, 11:12:40 am
Kevaughn Allen is the perfect college type player Arkansas could have used. If he was taller NBA teams would be drooling over him and he would have left earlier even. I want players just like that. Great players that have some deficiency like size or whatever that will keep them around the program 3 or 4 years and pan out to be great college players. Just look how well he takes care of his body too. He would have been a beast even more in a high tempo pace how good of shape he is in.

Mike White was pretty good at finding Arkansas players when he was at LA Tech too.

beach bum

Quote from: bleudog on January 18, 2018, 11:40:41 am
Mike White was pretty good at finding Arkansas players when he was at LA Tech too.

It had totally slipped my mind that he was at LA Tech before. He is starting to build a name for himself nationwide.

bdubyab60

We do need some that can come in a help immediately though. A 2 or 3 three year guy, Gafford looks the part but he can't lead the team up the floor and our current guards ignore him.

It's good getting players that can stick around. But they aren't really contributing until year 4 that's not good. Or if you only get them to contribute one year

beach bum

Lunardi updated his bracketology this afternoon.... Why on earth are we still an 8 seed and comfortably in the NCAA tournament by that seeding? We would by lucky to win more than one NIT game the way we look right now.

bdubyab60

Probably because of the fabled RPI and our early success. We were playing good at one time so I can understand it. But if it isn't corrected I don't think below 500 in Conference will cut it

thebigman3

Quote from: beach bum on January 18, 2018, 05:25:38 pm
Lunardi updated his bracketology this afternoon.... Why on earth are we still an 8 seed and comfortably in the NCAA tournament by that seeding? We would by lucky to win more than one NIT game the way we look right now.
They definitely need to win these next 9 games or the majority of them. They have had key wins and no bad losses. That's why they would be in IMO because they way we are playing right now is not going to cut it in the NCAA tourney.

bdubyab60

Getting spanked by LSU at home by 20 plus is a bad loss. We do have good wins. But more than once when stepping up in competition we have had it handed to us pretty good. We lead the SEC in margin of defeat.

MA has to make changes like he did last year. It shouldn't take 6 games for him to make adjustments. These need to be made in game.

Currently 2-4 in Conference. So 7-5 just to get to 9-9 in Conference. That likely has us dancing. We haven't won a true road game this year and I think we have 6 of those left. So is 7-5 realistic, not the way we are playing.

Saw MAs presser today and sounded like he's been reading the forums. I'd expect adjustments this week and we have two questionable players. Beard and Thompson. So some of these adjustments may be forced.

bdubyab60

Amazing what a little defense will do

AirWarren

And when CJ Jones figures out how to shoot

bdubyab60

Tried to give that one away. Lack of focus at the end, can't leave shooters open like that. Fell back in to old habits in the second half as well. Not defending and stagnant on offense.

I'll take the win though. Hopefully we can use this as a paring board to more wins. We will see here in a few days

beach bum

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 20, 2018, 04:45:01 pm
Tried to give that one away. Lack of focus at the end, can't leave shooters open like that. Fell back in to old habits in the second half as well. Not defending and stagnant on offense.

I'll take the win though. Hopefully we can use this as a paring board to more wins. We will see here in a few days

Good assessment as I saw it too.... These next two @ UGA then the game against OK State at the Bud are massive games and we need them both. Two more wins would put us at 15-6 and back to semi level terms overall..... And I do mean semi level haha

beach bum

In fact our next 6 games are all winnable with @Georgia, OK State, @Texas A&M, @LSU, South Carolina, and Vandy..... I am fairly certain this 6 game stretch will probably decide whether we get back in the conversation as a truly worthy NCAA tourney team. With A&M struggling plus LSU and Georgia probably the least hostile road environments in the SEC I think 5 of the next 6 would be my expectation of what I would be satisfied with in that stretch. 3-3 or 4-2 is not going to cut it with those winnable games ahead.

bdubyab60

OSU just beat OU, though that was at home, not an easy game. We don't play well at GA for some reason. Seems LSU is a bad match up. However they are all winnable games. We haven't played to well on the road and that concerning. Surely we have it in us tonsteal a couple.

May be just my opinion, the way the season started and seeing what this team is capable of. To me any thing short of the NCAA tourney is a wasted year of what talent we have.

We will see what happens though

thebigman3

We beat OU too.. and the LSU PG had a heck of a game against us. Maybe that won't happen next time.

bdubyab60

I hope it don't. But the next game is on the road. While I do think we steal a road game or two. Right now we are O'fer on the road.

Don't get me wrong I like wins. But we just had one of our beat shooting games of the year. Over 50% from 3 and 2 point. Shot 20% points above our average from the free throw line. All that and still had to scratch out a win against a scrappy OM that is barely above .500. I'd that was on the road fine. However that was at home in front of a full building.

That concerns me

thebigman3

Quote from: bdubyab60 on January 22, 2018, 05:36:57 am
I hope it don't. But the next game is on the road. While I do think we steal a road game or two. Right now we are O'fer on the road.

Don't get me wrong I like wins. But we just had one of our beat shooting games of the year. Over 50% from 3 and 2 point. Shot 20% points above our average from the free throw line. All that and still had to scratch out a win against a scrappy OM that is barely above .500. I'd that was on the road fine. However that was at home in front of a full building.

That concerns me
Maybe just a mid season slump.. better defense has to be played for sure. We can score 97 points, but we don't need to be letting other teams score 93. Win or lose.

beach bum

Got to win tonight to make me feel like we can salvage something.... Big difference in being 4-4 and 3-5..... 4-4 will you have you believing a hot streak could have us ending up ok. A 3-5 record makes you wonder if a .500 season is even remotely salvageable. Come on guys, don't let me down haha.

bdubyab60

I feel the same way. Seems we are at a tipping point or just feels like it

bdubyab60

beach bum

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas