• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Something fun for early in the week

Started by CoolBreeze, October 21, 2018, 03:04:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

CoolBreeze

For something fun to do before game day draws nigh, I thought it might be interesting to discuss unusual team mascots.

Many schools seem to choose various animals' names such as Tigers, Lions, Bears and the like which are known for being ferocious or for speed such as Mustangs, Colts, etc. Others choose human mascots which suggest fierceness like Warriors, Pirates, or various Indian names. Yet, some go off the beaten track. What are the most unusual mascots for high school teams in Arkansas?

The most unique one I can think of in 3A is the Danville Little Johns. I'm curious about how that name was chosen and what lies behind it. What characteristics does it signify to the students who represent the school?

Prescott also has a somewhat different school mascot/nickname. While Wolves are not one of the more popular mascots, they are not that uncommon. What makes Prescott unique is the addition of Curley. Why "Curley" Wolves? And why the misspelling?

I'd also find it interesting to hear about any team which has a more typical team mascot, but which acquired it in an unusual way. Here's an example of what I mean from a college team in another state: the Missouri Tigers took the name for their sports teams not from the ferocious Bengal beast but from a group of guerilla fighters who operated along the Missouri River during the War of Northern Aggression.

What interesting information can you contribute?

Hgalum50

Ozark Hillbillies is one of the most unique crazy mascots.

LJ1985

To answer your question about Little Johns being the mascot of Danville, it comes from the name of the river that runs through town, the Petit Jean River, which in French translates too Litttle Johns.  Pretty unique.

elmerfudd

That's a very cool story behind the Danville mascot!

Any of my fellow Booneville posters know how we settled on Bearcats? I'm curious. Maybe it was just one that started with a "B"?

I'd be curious to know why Mena also chose it.

Jabali

October 21, 2018, 04:23:54 pm #4 Last Edit: October 21, 2018, 04:29:20 pm by Jabali
Quote from: LJ1985 on October 21, 2018, 03:15:28 pm
To answer your question about Little Johns being the mascot of Danville, it comes from the name of the river that runs through town, the Petit Jean River, which in French translates too Litttle Johns.  Pretty unique.
Petit Jean or Little John was a French female explorer that had to disguise herself as a man to be allowed on expedition. Her fellow explorers didn't know of her sex until after she had died. Her grave is on Petit Jean Mountain.

CURLEYWOLF24

How the Curley Wolves Got Their Name

HOW THE CURLEY WOLVES GOT THEIR NAME
(Clipped from September 24, 1933, issue of the ARKANSAS GAZETTE)

About a dozen years ago, the Prescott team was scheduled to play the Little Rock High School Tigers here on Saturday afternoon. The GAZETTE's Sports Editor was out of the city, and one of the reporters was assigned to interview Coach Quigley of Little Rock Friday afternoon and to write an article about the impending game.

Quigley told the reporter that the Prescott lads were very tough, and that he expected a hard game. But in putting the idea on paper, the reporter used an unfortunate expression. He said that the Tigers wre expecting a "good workout" which was totally different from the idea that Quigley had in mind.

On the following Saturday, the Prescott team proceeded to administer a handsome beating to the Little Rock lads.

About nine that night a Western Union messenger brought to the news editor's desk the following message from Prescott.

"What do you think of the workout we gave your Tigers this afternoon? Prescott High School Football Team."

When the news editor recovered from the shock, he wrote a few paragraphs intended to be humorous in which he expressed the idea that the Little Rock athletes had received a fine workout indeed. He expressed relief that the workout had been no more strenuous because if it had been, Little Rock wouldn't have had any football team left, and there were quite a few games remaining on the schedule.

Over it, he wrote the following headline about the Prescott football team:

WE THINK THAT THE BOYS ARE CURLEY WOLVES

On the following Monday, morning assembly exercises at Prescott High School were turned into a celebration of the victory. The GAZETTE article and accompanying headline were read, and by unanimous vote "Curley Wolves" was adopted as the football team's official nickname.

They've been Curley Wolves ever since.

xadboy

Before Coal Hill and Hartman was consolidated to become Johnson County Westside, Coal Hills mascot was the Wampus Cats.

Skip Baymore

Quote from: elmerfudd on October 21, 2018, 04:01:32 pm
That's a very cool story behind the Danville mascot!

Any of my fellow Booneville posters know how we settled on Bearcats? I'm curious. Maybe it was just one that started with a "B"?

I'd be curious to know why Mena also chose it.

Definitely a good story behind Danville's.   And "Bearcats" is a real good mascot name, IMO, even though Im not exactly sure what that is?  Melbourne has taken it to the modern day level though and calls themselves the "Bearkatz".  I actually like that a lot too, but wonder if they'll regret it in 20 years?

snoopy22

October 22, 2018, 12:23:45 am #8 Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 06:56:41 pm by snoopy22
Quote from: CURLEYWOLF24 on October 21, 2018, 04:24:56 pm

About a dozen years ago, the Prescott team was scheduled to play the Little Rock High School Tigers here on Saturday afternoon. The GAZETTE's Sports Editor was out of the city, and one of the reporters was assigned to interview Coach Quigley of Little Rock Friday afternoon and to write an article about the impending game.

Quigley told the reporter that the Prescott lads were very tough, and that he expected a hard game. But in putting the idea on paper, the reporter used an unfortunate expression. He said that the Tigers wre expecting a "good workout" which was totally different from the idea that Quigley had in mind.

On the following Saturday, the Prescott team proceeded to administer a handsome beating to the Little Rock lads.

About nine that night a Western Union messenger brought to the news editor's desk the following message from Prescott.

"What do you think of the workout we gave your Tigers this afternoon? Prescott High School Football Team."

When the news editor recovered from the shock, he wrote a few paragraphs intended to be humorous in which he expressed the idea that the Little Rock athletes had received a fine workout indeed. He expressed relief that the workout had been no more strenuous because if it had been, Little Rock wouldn't have had any football team left, and there were quite a few games remaining on the schedule.

On the following Monday, morning assembly exercises at Prescott High School were turned into a celebration of the victory. The GAZETTE article and accompanying headline were read, and by unanimous vote "Curley Wolves" was adopted as the football team's official nickname.

All of this is true except the title read "We think that the boys are Curly Wolves".......In the old days "Curly" was used as mean or tough....A Curly Wolf was a mean and tough wolf.  Prescott became The Curly Wolves.  Somewhere in the 1950s it became Curley Wolves......It is believed that the reason might have been for the cheerleaders when spelling out chants it helps that Curley has the same amount of letters as Wolves.  So that is where the misspelling comes from.  It's our way of spelling it and it still stands for mean tough Wolves!

AmSycho

October 22, 2018, 08:28:46 am #9 Last Edit: October 22, 2018, 08:32:31 am by AmSycho
Quote from: snoopy22 on October 22, 2018, 12:23:45 am
All of this is true except the title read "We think that the boys are Curly Wolves".......In the old days "Curly" was used as mean or tough....A Curly Wolf was a mean and tough wolf.  Prescott became The Curly Wolves.  Somewhere in the 1950s it became Curley Wolves......It is believed that the reason was might have been for the cheerleaders when spelling out chants it helps that Curley has the same amount of letters as Wolves.  So that is where the misspelling comes from.  It's our way of spelling it and it still stands for mean tough Wolves!

Very unique name and story behind it. There can only be one Curley Wolf. Thanks, Snoop.

Maynard G Krebs

Quote from: Jabali on October 21, 2018, 04:23:54 pm
Petit Jean or Little John was a French female explorer that had to disguise herself as a man to be allowed on expedition. Her fellow explorers didn't know of her sex until after she had died. Her grave is on Petit Jean Mountain.

To their much dismay.😜

ISU7

Quote from: LJ1985 on October 21, 2018, 03:15:28 pm
I thought Danville were the Robin Hoods.. ;D ;D jk.

JacketFan

Outstanding topic, keep the stories coming guys.  Very interesting reads.

CoolBreeze

Quote from: CURLEYWOLF24 on October 21, 2018, 04:24:56 pm

Now that's unique. Great story. I love it!

CoolBreeze

Quote from: xadboy on October 21, 2018, 07:42:12 pm
Before Coal Hill and Hartman was consolidated to become Johnson County Westside, Coal Hills mascot was the Wampus Cats.
Conway HS still has that same mascot. I wonder where that came from? What is a wampus cat?

HorseFeathers

From former Conway coach Kenny Smith "A blue and black cat with a white tip on the end of its tail with six legs. Two legs are for fighting with all its might and four of those legs are for running for the speed of light."

Quote was pulled from a THV article fromast month.

xadboy

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 22, 2018, 05:08:14 pm
From former Conway coach Kenny Smith "A blue and black cat with a white tip on the end of its tail with six legs. Two legs are for fighting with all its might and four of those legs are for running for the speed of light."

Quote was pulled from a THV article fromast month.
That's interesting. Thanks for the info.

xadboy

Don't know if its still there, is the small town of Acorns school still called the nuts?

HorseFeathers

snoopy22

CoolBreeze

Quote from: snoopy22 on October 22, 2018, 10:21:13 pm
I like Fordyce Redbugs too.
Interesting mascot. Does anyone know how they came by it?

Jimbo Morphis

Quote from: CoolBreeze on October 23, 2018, 01:15:22 pm
Interesting mascot. Does anyone know how they came by it?
They couldn't spell chigger

OLDSCHOOL82

xadboy

Quote from: HorseFeathers on October 22, 2018, 08:36:39 pm
Acorn is the tigers..
Been long time since I've been through there. Must be thinking about somewhere else.

HorseFeathers

Never been there....But they are a regular in 1a Basketball State tournament

MR#1

Other interesting (at least to me) and sometimes unique mascot names for schools, some which may have consolidated (not sure):

Arkansas City River Rats
Dardanelle Sand Lizards
Winslow Flying Squirrels
Pine Bluff Zebras
Gentry Pioneers
Warren Lumberjacks
Smackover Buckaroos
Nashville (and DeValls Bluff) Scrappers
Morrilton Devil Dogs
Gurdon Go Devils
Harrison Goblins

Furthermore, some of the college teams in Arkansas are interesting (e.g., Boll Weevils, Reddies, Muleriders, and Wonder Boys).

HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers

Seen in another thread that Coal Hill's mascot was the Wampus Cats..

Always wondered about a lot of the consolidated schools mascots..

VanillaThunder

I'd say the Bauxite Miners, just because there aren't any other teams I know of with the same mascot, could b wrong tho

VanillaThunder

Quote from: CoolBreeze on October 22, 2018, 04:28:56 pm
Conway HS still has that same mascot. I wonder where that came from? What is a wampus cat?
I believe it is this, a mythical creature similar to a cat except for having 6 legs... I could be off on the amount of legs it has

HorseFeathers

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas