• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

1A 1 east

Started by Mamba13, August 18, 2014, 05:57:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Mamba13

Who will be strong in this conference I know it is down I grew up in the ozarks it is down sports wise now why is that? And other than jasper in boys and WG in girls who do yall think can have a legit state chance?

HorseFeathers

Deer Boys lost their coach so they'll probably drop off again.....And why are they down as a whole? not a whole lot left to do in that area to keep the families(Kids) around. Forestry and Logging is the only things that come to mind when I think of jobs in that area...

bulldog42

August 19, 2014, 05:49:48 am #2 Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 10:00:41 am by bulldog42
Part of the reason that the league is not as strong as it used to be is that a lot of kids are going to the larger schools because of school of choice.    The starting QB for Harrison and his twin  brother attended Omaha until 6th grade.    Another quality football player and one of their basketball starters played at  Omaha and then at Bruno as well as his little brother so as you can see it happens.  Their are kids who live in Western Grove but go to Valley, although this doesn't happen as much any more since Grove has Coach Manes but it does happen.  A lot is because of what the schools have to offer.    These stories happen all the time up here, they happened when I was in school in the 80s bit it just seems to be easier now.  There are so many schools that are so close together or whose districts overlap.  Western Grove is only 4 miles from Valley.  Deer is getting more and more isolate, both and Deer and Mt Judea keep dropping numbers.  Just not as much to keep people there anymore. 

ballmember

Unfortunately throughout Arkansas and the United States rural america is disappearing;  and along with it our class A schools will soon be near extinct in Arkansas.  As long as we have the rule that we must have 350 children minimum to keep a school.  Unfortunately our Governor likes this rule;  and the majority of legislators passed this rule.    Also, when A ball leaves much of the passion and fun in basketball will be lost.  Lets enjoy while we can.  Who knows we have a new Governor on the way and no telling what he will want to do!!  One rumor is some legislators want the number to be higher!!!

Moonshiner

Quote from: bulldog42 on August 19, 2014, 05:49:48 am
Part of the reason that the league is not as strong as it used to be is that a lot of kids are going to the larger schools because of school of choice.    The starting QB for Harrison and his twin  brother attended Omaha until 6th grade.    Another quality football player and one of their basketball starters played at  Omaha and then at Bruno as well as his little brother so as you can see it happens.  Their are kids who live in Western Grove but go to Valley, although this doesn't happen as much any more since Grove has Coach Manes but it does happen.  A lot is because of what the schools have to offer.    These stories happen all the time up here, they happened when I was in school in the 80s bit it just seems to be easier now.  There are so many schools that are so close together or whose districts overlap.  Western Grove is only 4 miles from Valley.  Deer is getting more and more isolate, both and Deer and Mt Judea keep dropping numbers.  Just not as much to keep people there anymore.

Mt. Judaea still has the same coach they had in the 80s.

bulldog42

Coach cook actually goes back further than that I believe

bulldog42

Quote from: Mamba13 on August 18, 2014, 05:57:17 pm
Who will be strong in this conference I know it is down I grew up in the ozarks it is down sports wise now why is that? And other than jasper in boys and WG in girls who do yall think can have a legit state chance?
Back to your question, I agree Jasper's boys will have a shot at state, but Western. Grove with the right draw in the regional could make it, they did lose a lot but they have two starters returning in the youngest Grice and Andrew Smith. WG girls will be favored but Jasper is coming on.   In the boys,  I suspect third will come down to Omaha and Alpena.   On the girls Alpena may be third and it is a toss up for everyone else.   

Silky Johnson

Are Region 1 and 2 matched up for the 1st round of state?

Mr. Basketball

Quote from: Silky Johnson on August 22, 2014, 08:28:02 pm
Are Region 1 and 2 matched up for the 1st round of state?

The bracket will come out later but since Region 2 was matched up with Region 3 in 2013 and Region 4 in 2014 I assume Region 1 and Region 2 will be matched up together in 2015 since they follow a rotating bracket.

Mississippi King

I know it's early but has anybody heard any rumors about who may bid on each regional and/or the state tournament in 1A this year? 

HawgDaddy

Here's how it should shake out:

Boys
1. Jasper
2. Alpena
3. Deer
4. Western Grove, Omaha, or Lead Hill

Girls
1. Western Grove
2. Jasper
3. Alpena

Moonshiner

Quote from: HawgDaddy on September 02, 2014, 09:08:03 pm
Here's how it should shake out:

Boys
1. Jasper
2. Alpena
3. Deer
4. Western Grove, Omaha, or Lead Hill

Girls
1. Western Grove
2. Jasper
3. Alpena

Deer in 3rd?  Did Dotson get a 5th year?

Mamba13

From what I see coming back

Girls:

1. WG
2. Alpena
3. Jasper
4. Deer

Boys:

1. Jasper
2. Alpena
3. WG
4. LH

bulldog42

Girls:
WG
Jasper
Alpena
Deer
Omaha
Lead Hill
Bruno, St Joe, Mt Judea

Boys:
Jasper
WG
Alpena
Omaha
Deer
Lead Hill
Bruno, St Joe, Mt Judea

Mamba13

Got to change my outlook after I talked to some fans back home:

Girls:
1. Jasper- team to beat
2. Alpena- has best player in conference
3. Western Grove- heard they lost some key players
4. Deer- return a lot of good players
5. Omaha- good sophomore class
6. Lead Hill- very inexperienced
7,8,9- Bruno, SJ, mount Judea

Boys:
1. Jasper- very big and athletic and well coached
2. Alpena- well coached and can shoot
3. Lead Hill- young and athletic heard they have a new big kid
4. Western Grove- much like lead hill
5. Omaha- new coach?
6. Deer- new coach and inexperience
7,8,9 Bruno st joe mount Judea

Pfan1115

What is the low down on Alpena?

Mamba13

Alpena girls have a really good player I believe her name is Underdown she has good size and can shoot it. Their boys are very athletic and I have heard have some new kids on the team this year that can really play!

HawgDaddy

Boys:
1. Jasper
2. Alpena
3. Western Grove
4. Lead Hill

Girls:
1. Jasper
2. Western Grove
3. Alpena

Alpena's boys are very good.  Wouldn't be surprised if they split with Jasper this season.  My earlier prediction had Deer in the mix, but was based on bad information I think. 

Moonshiner

Looks like Jasper might have this conference locked down.

smalltowngirl

Both Jasper teams pretty much have everything secured up for 1st in conf.  Alpena girls mercy ruled Western Grove on Tuesday night and they are sitting pretty well for 2nd barring nothing happens...but who knows with kids!  WG also has a couple of games that they forfeited back before Christmas when they were having some problems. 

Moonshiner

Anyone know who's in 2nd on the boys side?

PuddlePirate12

At one time I thought Alpena was pretty good. Aren't they the time that beat Roby? When he scored 52 lol.. Cuz Scranton ain't half bad

smalltowngirl

Alpena boys probably have the most talent and depth of most teams around but they are like riding a roller coaster...up and down...can't seem to get a rhythm going.  They can beat the best team around but lose to the worst!  Lol!  I'm not sure if they sit in 2nd on the boys side or not. 

bulldog42

You can find the conference rankings here
http://boonecosports.blogspot.com/
Currently Alpena is 5th

Googlymoogly

Quote from: bulldog42 on January 15, 2015, 05:10:54 am
You can find the conference rankings here
http://boonecosports.blogspot.com/
Currently Alpena is 5th
Actually I revamped the site over the last couple of days. Go directly to www.boonecosports.com.

Googlymoogly

Quote from: Moonshiner on January 14, 2015, 08:57:16 pm
Anyone know who's in 2nd on the boys side?
The correct answer is...... Omaha!

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas