• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Your School District Have a Class Period for Soccer?

Started by VHSCoach2, August 29, 2016, 04:36:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VHSCoach2

Hello all:

I am currently conducting some research and polling high school soccer coaches/players/parents/etc. from around the state.  If it isn't too much trouble, could you answer the following questions?  You could post answers here for the general public, or PM them to me if you'd rather do it that way.  I thank you all for your participation!

1) Does your school district offer a class period for the soccer players (both boys and girls)?

2) If yes, please list any pros and cons from having a soccer class period.
Pros:
Cons:

3) If yes, how has having a class period been a benefit for your program?

WillC

Van Buren does have a class period for soccer. It is the last period of the day, for both boys and girls.

IMO, one pro would be convience. In VB, the stadium is about a mile or two from the high school, so players either ride the bus or drive over. If the entire student body were trying to leave school at the same time, the traffic would be no less than horrific.  It's bad enough with just the football and soccer teams. Since it is the last period, practice is simply an extension of the school day, which allows for a full practice that ends at a reasonable time.

At VB, we have the field space for both soccer teams and the football team to practice/workout at the same time. If that is not the case, then there could be some issues regarding scheduling and time allowance.

In short, it works for us in Van Buren. Given the ample field space, I would recommend it to every school.

MDXPHD

Batesville does not have one for soccer. However, they have one for cheer, football, basketball, and volleyball I think.

Buck183

Siloam Springs does not. This is not considered a school sponsored sport here. All practices are after school hours. Baseball is the same way. 

Strong push to make a change on this policy. Interested to see if it will happen. 

MB Hog

Pulaski Academy does have a class period for soccer.  They are on a block system, so the days and times rotate.

I can't really think of any cons, but it is definitely a pro to have time set aside for practice and conditioning during the school day.  It is also a year-long class, so they get to work together for the entire school year, except for those who play other sports... several do play other sports, but they also have a class period set aside and they just change to soccer when their other season ends.

Naturally, this benefits the team since they get to practice all year and they have more time after school to focus on studies.

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas