• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2016 7A Boys Championship: Bentonville 2 Springdale 0 !Discuss!

Started by sevenof400, May 01, 2016, 04:16:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

VHSCoach2

May 13, 2016, 04:49:35 pm #50 Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 05:59:24 pm by VHSCoach2
Springdale 3, Northside 2 - final

Northside had a goal disallowed late in the first half.  It will be interesting to see how that factors into this one...

All 3 Springdale goasl from Araujo but he has now left the match with a leg injury.

Laird Williams

Laird Williams

FutbolPhan

Quote from: Laird Williams on May 12, 2016, 08:23:42 pm
Touché. Well Conway's out and Central and Catholic are still in, so there's that. I'll check back in tomorrow afternoon--with no doubt a better appreciation of all things soccer in the great state of Arkansas.

Well, day two finds ALL 7A central Arkansas teams eliminated after a single game regardless of seed. All with the exception of Cabot fell pretty hard to their NWA adversaries. Time to rethink how central Arkansas 7A teams got to this got to this point...

Laird Williams

Quote from: FutbolPhan on May 13, 2016, 06:13:58 pm
Well, day two finds ALL 7A central Arkansas teams eliminated after a single game regardless of seed. All with the exception of Cabot fell pretty hard to their NWA adversaries. Time to rethink how central Arkansas 7A teams got to this got to this point...

I can answer that in three words: Hunt, Tyson, Walton.

I was extremely impressed with what I saw today. NWA is a veritable Mecca for HS soccer. The bigger question is not what central Arknasas can do to catch up - we can't, with the current mindset in place down here, it's as simple as that - the bigger question is colleges seem oblivious to the level of talent being developed in NWA. How come?

Badger

May 13, 2016, 09:32:59 pm #55 Last Edit: May 13, 2016, 09:36:36 pm by Badger
Laird Williams, you read my mind.  I saw 20 players today better than anyone I've seen in central AR this year, several underclassmen.  Araujo may have been the best, hope his injury is nothing serious.  As you've alluded, the industry has brought the passion and talent.  My guess is the language barriers create academic hurdles for some.

BTW Futbolphan, I think Catholic held their own.  Bentonville was the better side today and earned the win, but Catholic is capable of beating them.  None of those 20 players I referenced play for Bentonville.  Not so sure Catholic would fare well against the other 7A West teams I saw today.  They were playing a completely different game than Catholic and Bentonville.  It was fun to wach.  The Rogers v Rogers Heritage game is the best high school game I've seen.  Tons of quality from both sides.  Same can be said for Springdale v Northside.

Laird Williams

Quote from: Badger on May 13, 2016, 09:32:59 pm
....Catholic held their own.  Bentonville was the better side today and earned the win, but Catholic is capable of beating them.  None of those 20 players I referenced play for Bentonville.  Not so sure Catholic would fare well against the other 7A West teams I saw today.  They were playing a completely different game than Catholic and Bentonville.  It was fun to wach.  The Rogers v Rogers Heritage game is the best high school game I've seen.  Tons of quality from both sides.  Same can be said for Springdale v Northside.

Agree on all points.

VHSCoach2

Badger

Congrats to Bentonville.  That keeps my bracket going.

chaoslord

VHSCoach2

Springdale is down to 9 boys, while Har-Ber has 10.  About 5 minutes to go, Springdale up 2-1.

VHSCoach2

Badger

Congrats to Springdale.  Must have been an ugly slugfest with all the red cards.  Bracket complete - only missed on Heritage beating Rogers.  Go Springdale - may the team with the better talent win.  Sorry Bentonville, haters gonna hate...but we know it's good to be you.

Laird Williams

That makes me feel a little better about getting smoked by Har-Ber. Those guys can play. Chaos, thank you for all the updates - that's been great.

sevenof400

An all West final is no real surprise here, but the fact that all four semi finalists were from the West really says a lot about the quality and depth of the West versus the rest of the state in the 7A ranks.

Laird Williams

May 14, 2016, 09:13:31 pm #65 Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 09:26:23 pm by Laird Williams
No argument here. Though I was unfamiliar with that region, I have seen something of good club teams (in the '00/'98 age range) via some big events in places like Atlanta, Dallas, Orlando, Pheonix, Chicago, St. Louis, Kansas City, San Diego and even Portugal and Spain, and I have to say that, in my humble opinion, NWA has some magic going on up there. I loved seeing it and am ready to see more.

Badger

Hhhmmm, many of those stud NWA players I watched yesterday don't appear to be on any club roster.  Begs the question, Raises the question, how necessary is club soccer to play at the highest level?  I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere on this forum.

Laird Williams

May 15, 2016, 09:28:09 am #67 Last Edit: May 18, 2016, 07:15:39 am by Laird Williams
Quote from: Badger on May 14, 2016, 11:19:53 pm
Hhhmmm, many of those stud NWA players I watched yesterday don't appear to be on any club roster.  Begs the question, Raises the question, how necessary is club soccer to play at the highest level?  I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nauseum elsewhere on this forum.

We suspect you know that it has.

But, to take the bait of your current dangle: it costs money and time to play club soccer, obscene amounts of both (stating the obvious here), and, obviously, many of those families have little of either to expend in such high fashion.

Many of them wouldn't even be making those HS games if someone wasn't picking them up and driving them to each pitch.

By the way, how prevalent are clusters of high schools built to serve a populace like that flowering between Fayetteville and Bentonville?

To complicate your question: why do the parents of kids in the richest country on earth have to pay to play?

Club isn't for every fine soccer player, of course, no matter one's socio-economic status: there are fine athletes at wealthy clubs eschewing club soccer simply because it's a time suck and they like the fun, social aspect of sport more than actually competing and striving for excellence (at sport). Those kids aren't aiming for college soccer; it doesn't mean that much to them.

But for kids who truly love the game and love competing at high levels, the question, the paradigm, is complicated by what Americans, by and large (and it varies from region to region, granted), are valuing and/or protecting.

But, to better answer your question, here's an article Dave Marshall posted not too long ago:

http://therecruitingcode.com/college-coaches-are-not-coming-to-your-high-school-games/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork

Sir Alex

Quote from: Badger on May 14, 2016, 11:19:53 pm

I don't believe it is necessary when you can play against men on Saturday and Sunday in the local league.  The local leagues for those NWA guys are at level that allows them to continue to improve year after year and costs very little...  There is no one way to develop players that is ultimately the best way.  Where we are missing out is the backyard time of one person with one ball or the neighborhood 3on3 backyard games.  The ultimate question is how do you get a young player to do this on their own.  Having a passion for the sport would be a good start.

Badger

Hook, Line, and Sinker, Laird "Large Mouth Bass" Williams but thanks for providing a very good synopsis.  :)

Seriously, Laird Williams and Sir Alex, thank you, both posts are excellent and enlightening.  Laird Williams, I think the article link is an answer to a question you previously posed why some of those excellent players in NWA are not recruited to play college soccer.  I also believe the language barrier can hurt some due to creating difficult academic hurdles, which is where junior colleges may come into play (see below).  So, it does seem club soccer could be very important for exposure for those with college aspirations.  Sir Alex, very good take on what makes these boys such great players.  What I saw in these excellent NWA players we've been talking about is passionate, instinctive play compared to the measured play I see in most "cone-drilled" players in central AR, even the "good" ones. 

I guess the Clint Dempsey model combines what Laird Williams and Sir Alex are getting at.

Anyway, I have noticed several NWA players playing at junior colleges, such as Neosho CC in Missouri, and from there going on to D1 schools, national teams, or pro tryouts. Springdale's Nelson Landaverde comes to mind - from Neosho CC to D1 Valparaiso U.  Another Springdale player, Amilcar Gonzalez, also plays at Neosho CC, was called up to the El Salvadoran U21 National Team, and appears to be "one step from the MLS" - see link.  Interestingly, Neosho CC's roster includes 5 Springdale players and 1 each from Rogers and Siloam.  Siloam's Aldair Umana is heading there next year. 

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kF9BtYOPUC4J:hola-arkansas.com/republicans-win-big-in-arkansas/+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Badger

The link below is to an article about a central AR born/bred player doing pretty well for himself as part of the FC Dallas Youth Academy - Thomas Roberts, from Little Rock, a former Bluebird, AU, and Rush player.  The article details how Roberts became so good at such a young age.

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/evin-demirel-is-this-arkansan-a-future-world-cup-soccer-star/

Although he's not mentioned in the article, I'll mention him - Jack Selig, another central AR player from Bryant, a former Bluebird player, and just an all-around awesome kid, is also on the same FC Dallas Academy team with Thomas.   

dispossessed

Quote from: Badger on May 15, 2016, 11:04:46 pm
Hook, Line, and Sinker, Laird "Large Mouth Bass" Williams but thanks for providing a very good synopsis.  :)

Seriously, Laird Williams and Sir Alex, thank you, both posts are excellent and enlightening.  Laird Williams, I think the article link is an answer to a question you previously posed why some of those excellent players in NWA are not recruited to play college soccer.  I also believe the language barrier can hurt some due to creating difficult academic hurdles, which is where junior colleges may come into play (see below).  So, it does seem club soccer could be very important for exposure for those with college aspirations.  Sir Alex, very good take on what makes these boys such great players.  What I saw in these excellent NWA players we've been talking about is passionate, instinctive play compared to the measured play I see in most "cone-drilled" players in central AR, even the "good" ones. 

I guess the Clint Dempsey model combines what Laird Williams and Sir Alex are getting at.

Anyway, I have noticed several NWA players playing at junior colleges, such as Neosho CC in Missouri, and from there going on to D1 schools, national teams, or pro tryouts. Springdale's Nelson Landaverde comes to mind - from Neosho CC to D1 Valparaiso U.  Another Springdale player, Amilcar Gonzalez, also plays at Neosho CC, was called up to the El Salvadoran U21 National Team, and appears to be "one step from the MLS" - see link.  Interestingly, Neosho CC's roster includes 5 Springdale players and 1 each from Rogers and Siloam.  Siloam's Aldair Umana is heading there next year. 

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:kF9BtYOPUC4J:hola-arkansas.com/republicans-win-big-in-arkansas/+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Pretty amazing, really. Gonzalez has been recovering from a knee injury and did not play any competitive matches in the fall 2015/spring 2016 season. Tells you what kind of kid he is and his talent level if he received reviews like that while sitting on the bench for a year.

Badger

Quote from: dispossessed on May 16, 2016, 08:26:24 pm
Pretty amazing, really. Gonzalez has been recovering from a knee injury and did not play any competitive matches in the fall 2015/spring 2016 season. Tells you what kind of kid he is and his talent level if he received reviews like that while sitting on the bench for a year.

Dispossessed, I'm sorry to hear about his injury.  Hopefully, he can get back on the pitch soon.  I've never had the opportunity to see him play, although here's some Youtube footage of him as a 17 year old.

VHSCoach2

TigerHawg

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas