• Welcome to Fearless Friday Bulletin Boards. Please login or sign up.

 FF is powered by:        Do Not Sell My Personal Information

how deep is the 4-3a

Started by rattler33, August 16, 2014, 07:32:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rattler33

I am from Booneville and all that I know about the top three teams in this conference boonevile, Charleston, and lamar  but who could make a deep run in the playoff out of this conference.

WPWells

Charleston, Booneville, Lamar, and (reportedly) Paris are all very good this year

rattler33

Quote from: 12th Man CHS on August 16, 2014, 07:56:43 pm
Charleston, Booneville, Lamar, and (reportedly) Paris are all very good this year
I feel like this conference is better from top to bottom than the 4-4 was last year.

OLDSCHOOL82

I don't believe that rattler.  Do you know what the bottom is actually like?

-Painted Fan-

If you go by the Hooten's boys, then 6 of the 8 teams are in the Top 20.
I don't know if I would go that far, but I think the Top 3 will still be there come the 3rd week of November.

jr17

I'm still skeptical about Paris.

WPWells

I think Lavaca will be solid as well

OLDSCHOOL82

Anyone heard when AAA will put the playoff brackets up?

BigMan15

Top to Bottom its not bad but Charleston and Booneville are way ahead of everybody else Lamar will be pretty good Paris will be good not great and Lavaca could pick up where they left off last year....

rattler33

Last year the 4-4a had 51 conbined  51 wins and the 4-3 had 58 and this year they have 6 teams in the top 18.

bigcat72

Hope the AAA doesn't use the same box of crayons they used on last years bracket.

KOJACK

Quote from: bigcat72 on August 17, 2014, 09:26:54 pm
Hope the AAA doesn't use the same box of crayons they used on last years bracket.
The 4-3A is 2 teams deep...which is better than all the other conferences except maybe 6-3A.

snoopy22

I agree with you Kojack.  I think the 4-3A is and has always been weak.  This year Booneville joins it and makes it better so that Charleston will have at least a game in conference play this year where they might have to do more than sleep walk.  It is much better this year because of that, but not great by no means.  I do believe Lamar could be tougher than normal this year, but normally this is a one team conference in reference to state contenders.  This year it is a two team conference.  Now as I say this we are in the 5-3A which is even weaker.  lol

MICHAELSPAPPY

6 teams in the top 18 according to Hootens would seem pretty deep to me.

GeorgeWBush

Quote from: snoopy22 on August 19, 2014, 02:15:38 pm
I agree with you Kojack.  I think the 4-3A is and has always been weak.

It was really weak in 2008 when all 5 teams won their first round game and 4 of the final 8 teams were from this conference wasn't it?

This conference is absolutely loaded.  It would still be the toughest if Booneville and Charleston weren't in it.  I don't think the conference is getting enough respect.  There are 6-7 teams that could win a playoff game with ease.  I think the 6th place team in this conference could win the 3-3A conference title.  Mansfield, Lamar, Paris and Lavaca are all going to be really good.  They should at least be in the top 15 in the state.

KOJACK

Quote from: GeorgeWBush on August 21, 2014, 08:42:06 pm

It was really weak in 2008 when all 5 teams won their first round game and 4 of the final 8 teams were from this conference wasn't it?

This conference is absolutely loaded.  It would still be the toughest if Booneville and Charleston weren't in it.  I don't think the conference is getting enough respect.  There are 6-7 teams that could win a playoff game with ease.  I think the 6th place team in this conference could win the 3-3A conference title.  Mansfield, Lamar, Paris and Lavaca are all going to be really good.  They should at least be in the top 15 in the state.
You would be wrong. Y'all have two teams that could win the 3-3A. 2 of your teams win first round games...maybe Lamar if they get a cupcake...that's it. Lamar wouldn't finish in the top three in 6-3A nor would win any other conference except maybe 1-3A. You folks need to slow your roll... Seriously. If Booneville nor Chucktown were in it, it would be the worst conference in any
classification in the state.

BigMan15

Quote from: KOJACK on August 21, 2014, 10:29:52 pm
Quote from: GeorgeWBush on August 21, 2014, 08:42:06 pm

You would be wrong. Y'all have two teams that could win the 3-3A. 2 of your teams win first round games...maybe Lamar if they get a cupcake...that's it. Lamar wouldn't finish in the top three in 6-3A nor would win any other conference except maybe 1-3A. You folks need to slow your roll... Seriously. If Booneville nor Chucktown were in it, it would be the worst conference in any
classification in the state.

Not the best conference top to bottom but with booneville being added in and charleston still being good i would say that they are somewhere close to the top....

snoopy22

I think all you have to do is look at the last 20 conference titles in that conference and we will know how good the conference is.  If Charleston has won like 15 or more of those then it is not very good.  No offense to Chucktown by any means, but we are talking about conferences not teams.  I'm sorry but when I think of power schools in 3A there are only two from that conference and there used to be only one.  With the addition of Booneville it is much better though.

adaptedtigerfan

Where is Scooter?  I'm sure he has something to say on this thread...

Scooter2121

August 22, 2014, 12:18:23 pm #19 Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:23:17 pm by Scooter2121
Only by request am I posting on the 3a board I said earlier that I wouldn't be here posting much since my cousin moved back to Ashdown and I don't have much intrest in this conference but if you would put any of theses teams into the 4a and I happen to think the 4-4a most years is the weakest 4a conference in 4a.But put any of the teams of this conference into the 8-4a or the 7-4a and I would say they would struggle to make the playoffs.With the speed that's in those two conferences and then you factor in injury even the great and mighty Charleston would struggle in those two conferences.Watch and see how Ft.Lake fairs this year and didn't bauxite use to be a pretty good 3a team.And as far as this conference goes you have three teams that are any good at all and the rest are just not very good.

OLDSCHOOL82

August 22, 2014, 12:29:18 pm #20 Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 12:36:59 pm by OLDSCHOOL82
Easy there scooter.   Booneville has been in the 4A for awhile and would of done great again this year in it.  If I remember correctly last year there was no way Booneville was gonna make it to state and even more win it.  Fountain lake only had a short run and bauxites hay day was along time ago.

Scooter2121

August 22, 2014, 12:41:24 pm #21 Last Edit: August 22, 2014, 01:03:31 pm by Scooter2121
I said most years not every year I know how good the bearcats was last year.But what happens most years to teams from the 4-4a in the playoffs.I know that there were years that even your bearcats lost in the first round after finishing 1st in the conference.From 2007 Thru 2011 the bearcats lost in either the first or second round of playoffs.

HorseFeathers

problem with the look at the past twenty years of the conference champs idea is that charleston has only been 3a for 8 seasons now. . . They were a 2a school that didn't miss a beat when they moved up into the mighty 3a under the classification changes made in 06

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Scooter2121 on August 22, 2014, 12:41:24 pm
I said most years not every year I know how good the bearcats was last year.But what happens most years to teams from the 4-4a in the playoffs.I know that there were years that even your bearcats lost in the first round after finishing 1st in the conference.

Correct.  We have had many down seasons as all schools have and we have one conference and lost in the 2nd round with a by.  The statement came off as the 7 and the 8 being gods gift to football.  We are new to the 3a and have been playing the old power houses in the 4A for many many years so we know what they are about.  At times, those conferences stink as well.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: HF on August 22, 2014, 01:04:01 pm
problem with the look at the past twenty years of the conference champs idea is that charleston has only been 3a for 8 seasons now. . . They were a 2a school that didn't miss a beat when they moved up into the mighty 3a under the classification changes made in 06

The conference changes in the past where more of a combination and move everyone up.

Scooter2121

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 22, 2014, 01:04:55 pm
I said most years not every year I know how good the bearcats was last year.But what happens most years to teams from the 4-4a in the playoffs.I know that there were years that even your bearcats lost in the first round after finishing 1st in the conference.

Correct.  We have had many down seasons as all schools have and we have one conference and lost in the 2nd round with a by.  The statement came off as the 7 and the 8 being gods gift to football.  We are new to the 3a and have been playing the old power houses in the 4A for many many years so we know what they are about.  At times, those conferences stink as well.
it wasn't that I think those are gods gifts to football conferences I just don't think that the 4-4a on a regular basis except for the mighty bearcats is a very good conference.And behind Booneville and Charleston the 4-3a isn't that special either.

OLDSCHOOL82

Quote from: Scooter2121 on August 22, 2014, 01:11:49 pm
Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 22, 2014, 01:04:55 pm

it wasn't that I think those are gods gifts to football conferences I just don't think that the 4-4a on a regular basis except for the mighty bearcats is a very good conference.And behind Booneville and Charleston the 4-3a isn't that special either.

First, the bottom 1/2 of most every conference in every classification stinks.  Always has and always will. Secondly,  The difference in a dominate conference usually comes down to 1 or 2 teams.  The 3 and the 4 seed.  Very rarely is the 5th seed much count.  I believe the AAA just let them in the playoffs for more revenue.  I'm not defending the 4-3A for state superiority either.  We are new to this conference and havent played some of these teams in 10 or more years and have never faced a few.  Paris of old was decent but wasnt much count when that rivalry ended.  Charleston of old was the same.  Last played them in the 96 season.  Their football program in the 2000s till now has changed.  Mansfield, Lamar, and Lavaca never had much back then either.  I'll know more on the strength after actually seeing them head to head.  You can argue on paper all day long but alot of parameters change when the lights come on.

OLDSCHOOL82

Any word on how Lamar looked at their scrimmage?

Hootie

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 27, 2014, 10:42:19 pm
Any word on how Lamar looked at their scrimmage?

Like the #3 team in.... their conference..  ;D

macadoshis

Lamar played Johnson Co Westside one live quarter.  20-0.  Defense held them to negative yards.  Wasn't a good tell of how good they are.  Westside wasn't great.  Lamars quarterback looked good.  Big receivers and a big running back with good speed.  We'll see after week one

OLDSCHOOL82

Thanks macado.  I haven't seen Lamar play since the mid 90's when Booneville played them.  They ever get some bigger better visitors bleachers?

macadoshis

Quote from: OLDSCHOOL82 on August 28, 2014, 04:35:25 pm
Thanks macado.  I haven't seen Lamar play since the mid 90's when Booneville played them.  They ever get some bigger better visitors bleachers?
Yes they did a few years back.  Upgraded home and visitors bleachers.  Visitors side was pretty sad for a long time

adaptedtigerfan

I hope they upgrade the officials down there too!!

-Painted Fan-

Lamar's the only school I know with a petting zoo between the high school and football field. When you go there, don't forget to stop and feed the llamas.
Wait....Lamar....llamas....lame...
By George, I think we're on to something.

macadoshis

Its hard to have an intelligent conversation on here.  I'm sure every visiting team thinks officials are bad. 

adaptedtigerfan

If its the crew that had the Charleston game last year,  they should be banned from ever calling another game.....  Ever!!!

OLDSCHOOL82

That crew was the Lamar jr high coaching staff wasn't it?

macadoshis

Must have been the same crew Charleston uses at home.  They are good for at least 14 points. 

OLDSCHOOL82

Charleston uses their pee wee coaches.

adaptedtigerfan

I guess if they are good for 14 you better play a lil better

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: MICHAELSPAPPY on August 21, 2014, 08:24:01 pm

Hootens is Idiots...........they make me sick........

needs to learn to research before spewing there BS.

the game

Quote from: BUCK FEVER on August 28, 2014, 08:26:40 pm
Rich's Fearless Friday rankings have 3 in top 10 and 6 in top 21 ... How you feel about Rich's rankings ?

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: the game on August 28, 2014, 09:05:09 pm
Rich's Fearless Friday rankings have 3 in top 10 and 6 in top 21 ... How you feel about Rich's rankings ?

Not talking bout rankings........talking bout lazy research........claimed Smackover had not been to quarter finals sense 1987.............

I guess
did"t count ?....

BUCK FEVER

HOOTENS RESEARCH TEAM HARD AT IT !!!

the game

Quote from: BUCK FEVER on August 28, 2014, 09:27:23 pm
Quote from: the game on August 28, 2014, 09:05:09 pm

Not talking bout rankings........talking bout lazy research........claimed Smackover had not been to quarter finals sense 1987.............

I guess
did"t count ?....
Where do you get that Hootens claimed that ? The 2 page writeup in the Hootens 2014 magazine says nothing about that , it does say Smackover reached the semifinals last season for the first time since 1987 , but I see no mention of quarterfinal history ... I think they do a great job , heck maybe a mistake here and there , but if wasn't for them we wouldn't have a State football magazine covering High School and College teams .

BUCK FEVER

Not talking bout the magazine.............talking bout the picks web page...................someone copied and pasted it yesterday and sent to me.

Online bleudog

Hall of Famer
    [clap] [slap]
    11/02/06: Never give up, never give out.
        View Profile
        Personal Message (Online)

Re: Hooties 2014 Week 1 Rankings and Picks
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2014, 01:36:20 pm »

"Smackover claimed its first league title last fall in eight years, reaching the quarterfinals for the first time since 1987."

BUT NOW.......THANKS TO MY FUSSIN...........I SEE THAT THEY HAVE CORRECTED IT ON THE WEBSITE.
THEY CAN"T SLEEP ON ME...........I get up early and stay late.

the game

Talk about lazy research ,lol ... You're depending to much on the internet for information ... If you would read the Hootens writeup in the magazine that was published over a month ago  ,  you would know that it's always said semifinals not quarterfinals .

BUCK FEVER

And I don't mean to be a cronic fusser.........but I can't believe HOOTEN didn't even mention our brand new FIGHTEN BUCKAROO BAND,

A HAIR CUT AND A BATH ALL THEY NEED.....MAYBE A SHIRT.

BUCK FEVER

Quote from: the game on August 28, 2014, 11:09:54 pm
  Talk about lazy research ,lol ... You're depending to much on the internet for information ... If you would read the Hootens writeup in the magazine that was published over a month ago  ,  you would know that it's always said semifinals not quarterfinals .

That mag cost money, the net is free.................you boys don't know the value of a dollar , thats what wrong with the youth these days........spend spend spend.

the game

I'm trying to figure out what if anything Smackover has to do with the 4-3A ?

Fox 16 Arkansas Fox 24 Arkansas